Not Had A Natter About Watches For A While

Guest Trevski

Very nice, and very well made, I have a mate who has the grey one and he loves it. I like the fact I can actually read the date, unlike most of my collection I don`t need my readers. This one is the 44mm but it`s also in 40mm, they were a limited edition of 1970 pieces.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I purchased a ceramic submariner a couple of years ago, i also follow several YouTube bloggers, Paul Thorpe, Bark and Jack etc, so many reports of attacks in order to steal people's watches it takes a lot of the enjoyment of ownership away. Always wary of surroundings etc when i have it on. 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

9 hours ago, Chris L said:

Very nice perhaps a tad large for me but super in any case.

44 mm Chris, it`s also in 40 mm but the 44 mm isn`t too big, looks it in that photo strangely but it really isn`t.

Social source share

On ‎02‎/‎03‎/‎2009 at 08:06, Kirsty said:

a daft question

I've got a 50s longines cocktail watch... how do you open the back to find out the serial number and stuff?

anyone know.... or should I take it in the watch shop?

I'd take it to a quality jewellers who are a distributor for Longines. They should be able to tell you what you need to know and get it serviced if needed

Edited by Billy Jo Jim Bob
Social source share

Better investment than banks,

2 Locked away....my 3 bad boys

1st i use everyday Rolex Submariner 2006 Blue ceramic face& bezel

2nd Rolex Yacht Master II 2015 Rose Gold white face blue bezel

3rd Rolex Yacht Master II 2017 18ct  Gold white face blue bezel...

They are hidden in the hole in the wall,for anyone calling....NOT

soul 20200320_164504

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, snooky said:

Better investment than banks,

2 Locked away....my 3 bad boys

1st i use everyday Rolex Submariner 2006 Blue ceramic face& bezel

2nd Rolex Yacht Master II 2015 Rose Gold white face blue bezel

3rd Rolex Yacht Master II 2017 18ct  Gold white face blue bezel...

They are hidden in the hole in the wall,for anyone calling....NOT

Did you buy the Sub in 2006? I have a black one from around the same time  I bought in Amsterdam. Never wear it nowadays, I was sick of folk asking "Is it a real one?"

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

This is Sarahs 1940's art deco watch. Its an American Lord Elgin drivers watch . The side bars are so you wear it on the side of your arm so you can see it whilst holding the steering wheel . It's actually a mans watch, but watches were so small then that it now looks more of a ladies watch.

soul 1

soul 2

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2020 at 14:42, Veedub said:

Has anybody used these for watch servicing and repairs ? Looks very reasonable to me . Heres the link and a pic of their prices.

https://www.vintagetimerepairs.co.uk/index.html

soul IMG_6229

If you are NW based, Prestige Time Services in Lymm are excellent. I think the guy is called Paul. 

He sorted out my Rolex BLNR when it sheared a screw. 

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Both nice purchases there.... 

I actually prefer that Tag to the new Rolex Sub LV (Hulk). 

I had an original LV from 2003 that got nicked in an armed robbery in 2007. In the meantime it has become exceedingly sought after (Y serial / Flat 4) and would be north of £20k now. 😟

And is the strap on that Brietling as comfortable as it looks? 

Social source share

3 hours ago, Fish Fingers said:

I had an original LV from 2003 that got nicked in an armed robbery in 2007. In the meantime it has become exceedingly sought after (Y serial / Flat 4) and would be north of £20k now. 😟

Yes, the strap is very comfortable. The collector I bought it from rates this as the best mesh strap on the market.

Social source share

I like my watches but probably know as much about vintage watches as I know about soul records , NOTHING , where would U wear A vintage watch !! U couldn’t wear them as A dress watch , I like new watches , would like the new Tudor black bay but it’s near on impossible get 1 ! 

Social source share

On 08/07/2020 at 12:39, Fish Fingers said:

The Rolex is A luxury watch, the Tag is A fashion watch, heavy with A strap that pinches yur skin and worn by football hooligans , 

Social source share

13 hours ago, Hornet said:

I like my watches but probably know as much about vintage watches as I know about soul records , NOTHING , where would U wear A vintage watch !! U couldn’t wear them as A dress watch , I like new watches , would like the new Tudor black bay but it’s near on impossible get 1 ! 

I believe the Tudor 'Blue Bay' arrived in a single batch at dealers and sold out straight away as its the only new  Tudor release this year.

Next batch not expected till autumn - hence the very much engineered demand. 

Same happened when they released the BB58 and the (date malfunction special!) GMT in recent years. 

Give it a while and they will likely be obtainable at a dealers at retail is my guess. 

Edited by Fish Fingers
Social source share

Just a side issue on a grail watch. 

Like a lot of other people, I would love a (completely unobtainable to me in every way) Patek Phillipe Nautilus in blue. 

Watchfinder have currently got a few in stock. Its worth checking out the asking price v RRP..... for a second hand watch which needs expensive and lengthy regular servicing 😂

https://www.watchfinder.co.uk/Patek Philippe/Nautilus/5711/1A-010/8096/item/159904?searchId=64a5d387-7fb8-4e5c-be6f-3579fb5be09e&rank=16

One of these on board a Riva speedboat for me please, if any (as yet unknown) rich relatives want to treat me. 😁

5F5707AC-8E48-40D4-A071-C4B6208A1C2B.jpeg

Edited by Fish Fingers
Amended
Social source share

Pete was a BIG watch collector - peaked at well over 100 (he had a full box that held a 100, plus two other boxes) - ALWAYS mechanical automatics - there's still about 50, including my various Mondains, Orises, Midos etc and our matching Omega Dynamics and the early 60s Breitling Toptime  he bought me for my first birthday after we got together... 

Breitling.jpg

Dynamic.jpg

Social source share

PS He used to have a single handed Meistersinger 24 hour dial watch - same as the one below (I forget the proper name for them - a 'Regulator' ?) - but with his eyesight being duff it used to be a standing joke that if you asked him the time, he'd look carefully at his wrist and say 'about mid afternoon'. Anyway we flogged it in the end for about £200 more than he paid for it new when they became trendy for a while. Dx10628609b_zoom_v1552050154546.thumb.jpg.49469af1672195e555ca1dc3a8faf7a1.jpg

Edited by Davenpete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Davenpete said:

PS He used to have a single handed Meistersinger 24 hour dial watch - same as the one below (I forget the proper name for them - a 'Regulator' ?) - but with his eyesight being duff it used to be a standing joke that if you asked him the time, he'd look carefully at his wrist and say 'about mid afternoon'. Anyway we flogged it in the end for about £200 more than he paid for it new when they became trendy for a while. Dx10628609b_zoom_v1552050154546.thumb.jpg.49469af1672195e555ca1dc3a8faf7a1.jpg

Go on then what time is it !

Social source share

10 hours ago, Chas said:

Anyone had issues with staining on sapphire crystal?. I have slight staining on my sub, it's hardly noticeable but you know how it is, once you've seen it, it's more obvious. 

Worst case is a new crystal, which are relatively cheap. 

Is it due a service? It would be replaced then. If its oil on the outside it may steam off, with great care! 

Updated after some reserach;

Apparently the service crystals are the same as the new ones nowadays complete with laser etched crown at 6.

The LEC should also indicate the anti reflective state of the crystal. 

Source:

https://www.watchwallpapers.com/laserlogo.htm

Edited by Fish Fingers
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Fish Fingers said:

😅

👍

Interesting watch. Never seen one before. A bit like looking where the sun is in the sky to give the 'about' time. 

The Oris Deco is v nice too. How old was it? 

Supposed to be 30s - it's new old stock from a defunct shop and had never been worn. Dx

Social source share

• 3 months later...

I was looking at an article on watches and on listed was a Casio, so I say to my lad, who seemingly is one of the top experts on Casio watches, have got one of these worn by Michael J Fox in Back to the future? Answer 'that's not the original one he wore, it's this one (2nd on left) and then gives me a lecture on the rare watches in the photo!

Bloody hell, I thought I was an anorak😁

20201026_184447.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/07/2020 at 16:55, Hornet said:

The eagle has landed , well chuffed

A1CB6FA0-8929-4300-8E21-133E81C9B0F8.jpeg

Social source share

Very nice. Is it the Black Bay 58 (blue)?

Do you get the choice of bracelet or strap? ....or do you get both with it? 

I just got two watches back from service yesterday under warranty. But both needed new crystals surprisingly (due to damage being knocked?!?) so it cost over £300 for a regulation!

Can't complain though, as snagged this for the Mrs on release in Sept and values holding up well at moment. 

Screenshot_20201117-195257_Chrono24.jpg

Edited by Fish Fingers
Social source share

21 hours ago, Fish Fingers said:

Very nice. Is it the Black Bay 58 (blue)?

Do you get the choice of bracelet or strap? ....or do you get both with it? 

I just got two watches back from service yesterday under warranty. But both needed new crystals surprisingly (due to damage being knocked?!?) so it cost over £300 for a regulation!

Can't complain though, as snagged this for the Mrs on release in Sept and values holding up well at moment. 

Screenshot_20201117-195257_Chrono24.jpg

Yea black bay blue on soft leather strap , didn’t want the bracelet as unless they got A micro adjust , fitment is A problem , and not A fan of the fake rivets , the face is A little on the small side but the 70 hour power reserve is awesome and for half the price of A seamaster , 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!