Not Had A Natter About Watches For A While

Guest Trevski

Guest Trevski

Just obtained one of these for going out.

Looks less chunky than my Breitling, with a suit!

Oris Frank Sinatra, automatic cronograph, very nice!

post-1355-1235032730_thumb.png

post-1355-1234842945_thumb.jpg

post-1355-1234883869_thumb.jpg

post-1355-1234883897_thumb.jpg

post-1355-1234893313_thumb.jpg

Anyone else got anything new?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

I can't afford to pay attention never mind buy a new watch :cheese1:

But I do have one of the original Swatch watches. At the very beginning they came in black or white, no fancy colorful ones.

Don't know how much it is worth.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I can't afford to pay attention never mind buy a new watch :cheese1:

But I do have one of the original Swatch watches. At the very beginning they came in black or white, no fancy colorful ones.

Don't know how much it is worth.

I think certain swatch models were highly collectable.

There are a lot of horologists on here, we had quite a good thread a while back!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Picked up this nice Omega Seamaster from 1966 recently. Needed a couple of parts, but I managed to get her working again. I prefer vintage or military watches in the main. I currently have about 40 which I concede is probably far too many.

Gallet3.jpg

Ohhh Beautiful!

40!, a lot, but you never can have too many! :cheese1:

Having to wear specs for reading, I like ones with clear numerals, and not to fussy, so I can see 'em clearly without glasses!

(main reason for choosing the 'Frank' apart from it's gorgeous!)

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Ohhh Beautiful!

40!, a lot, but you never can have too many! :cheese1:

Cheers Trevski. I try telling the Mrs that but she doesn't believe me!

For me the fun is finding watches in need of a bit of TLC and getting them working again.

That Gallet was in shocking condition when i found it. But thanks to the internet I found the bits to restore it. Not bad for a 60 year old watch.

Problem is finding the time to wear the buggers though.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Cheers Trevski. I try telling the Mrs that but she doesn't believe me!

For me the fun is finding watches in need of a bit of TLC and getting them working again.

That Gallet was in shocking condition when i found it. But thanks to the internet I found the bits to restore it. Not bad for a 60 year old watch.

Problem is finding the time to wear the buggers though.

Do you do your own restoration? Hat's off to you if you do!

Social source share

Just obtained one of these for going out.

Looks less chunky than my Breitling, with a suit!

Oris Frank Sinatra, automatic cronograph, very nice!

That is a nice watch!

I normally wear a late 60's Omega Dynamic, same colours and wristband as this - except mine is a non-date version:

pd1036425799_0.jpg

Picked up a fun Seiko Bellmatic fairly recently, but the (original) bracelet's too small - any idea where I could buy extra links?

Looks like this (only with a metal wristband):

2078-wlxkft_l.jpg

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Some, but by no means all. The Omega was missing a few parts that could be added reasonably easily, but for more complex stuff it's off to an old watchmaker that knows his onions.

Still, I'm impressed! I wouldn't attempt to remove the back from any of mine! I'm a bit of a fixit myself fella, but watches are far to delicate and fiddley for me!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

That is a nice watch!

I normally wear a late 60's Omega Dynamic, same colours and wristband as this - except mine is a non-date version:

pd1036425799_0.jpg

Picked up a fun Seiko Bellmatic fairly recently, but the (original) bracelet's too small - any idea where I could buy extra links?

2078-wlxkft_l.jpg

Think ebay would be the best bet, unless you could get a decent look-alike new bracelet?

Social source share

That is a nice watch!

Try posting up a WTB in the Seiko Forum. Link below. I've managed to get some rare old bits from there.

Seiko Forum

Social source share

Try posting up a WTB in the Seiko Forum. Link below. I've managed to get some rare old bits from there.

Seiko Forum

Amazing! Just been able to date both my Seikos from there - Aug 72 and Jan 73. Looks like I'll be able to track down some links too...

Cheers for that!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Amazing! Just been able to date both my Seikos from there - Aug 72 and Jan 73. Looks like I'll be able to track down some links too...

Cheers for that!

Soul Source, so much more than just music! :cheese1: Well done guys!

Social source share

Currently sporting the Submariner ...

Rolex-Submariner.jpg

Yep, I got mine in Holland about 4 years ago when the Euro was low, I think around £1`800 is what i paid for it.

Aint it the best looking Rolex out there?

Also have a couple of Panerai`s I bought a while back, ill post up some pics later.

:cheese1:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Yep, I got mine in Holland about 4 years ago when the Euro was low, I think around £1`800 is what i paid for it.

Aint it the best looking Rolex out there?

Also have a couple of Panerai`s I bought a while back, ill post up some pics later.

post-2081-1234892432_thumb.jpg

after years of wearing vintage timex on original skinhead style straps i currently wear this

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

whats a skinhead style strap???

chris :cheese1:

original late 60's early 70's wide leather strap , i still have some of the straps , some with 3 buckles

:D

i forgot to mention that i also have 18 pocket watches that i rotate whenever i wear a 3 piece suit

Social source share

Guest Trevski

original late 60's early 70's wide leather strap , i still have some of the straps , some with 3 buckles

i forgot to mention that i also have 18 pocket watches that i rotate whenever i wear a 3 piece suit

Class!

I only have one pocket watch, a 1897 Waltham, Philadelphia watch co, that was dad's. had it restored and it works fine.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Class!

i love accessories , always have ...hats , ties , cufflinks , rings etc but always silver(for the jewellry) , don't do gold at all

Social source share

Guest Trevski

i love accessories , always have ...hats , ties , cufflinks , rings etc but always silver(for the jewellry) , don't do gold at all

Pure class! Me too, on the cufflinks, tie pins, tie clips etc. Gold is sooooo chav!

Social source share

As I'm a born and bred Dundonian, I'm very disapointed in you Davie !! surely your pride and joy must have been the Timex watches you had. I was there for 20 years and we all had drawers full of them, in early 80t's we made the worlds thinnest watch, it was soooo coool and thin that the bezel would bend after a while !!!

alan

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

As I'm a born and bred Dundonian, I'm very disapointed in you Davie !! surely your pride and joy must have been the Timex watches you had. I was there for 20 years and we all had drawers full of them, in early 80t's we made the worlds thinnest watch, it was soooo coool and thin that the bezel would bend after a while !!!

alan

no , the pride and joy is the original art deco square pocket watch :ohmy:

maybe after having worked with ex timex guys all through my working life i'm tainted a little

Social source share

Still thew same 3 for me An oris rectangular dress watch a tag sports and a tag monza als i have a sector sports for work also another sector sports that has needed a new battery for a couple of years, have been thinking of a new omega but will wait till next year.

mark

Social source share

Anyone else got anything new?

I love those 1980s Sekonda weind-ups I recently bought a couple, they're pretty much

soldier-proof.

For special ocassions I might put this Titoni on, bought this about a month ago.

But I really, really love those 1970s Japanese Seikos & Citizens.

These I picked up about 6 weeks ago. :thumbup::thumbup: :whistling:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

I can really recommend watchwinders for automatic's. It's great just to put the watch on fully wound and I believe it does cut down on services. I bought a Brietling Navitimer about 15 years ago and still love it. Thinking about buying another one soon, probably choosing Brietling again. Ade

post-2867-1234990239_thumb.jpg

Neat. Been thinking about one of those myself. (the winder I mean, I have a Breitling, great watches.)

Social source share

hardly describe myself as horologist but,if photos come out, my everyday rotary and my diving citizen

I got a Rotary for my 21st birthday, long...............long....................long time ago......

Wanna know how long ago ?...............................they were singing bye bye Miss American Pie........

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

a daft question

I've got a 50s longines cocktail watch... how do you open the back to find out the serial number and stuff?

anyone know.... or should I take it in the watch shop?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!