soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 17
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

Suggestion by Dan that both may work better if go back to a combined sales/wants bit ??

so a request for thoughts from the floor

link

Mike

Is it possible to set up a section where everyone posts up their wants in a central directory or list, they get recorded in order of posting and people delete them when they get the record (maybe with an automatic clean out every so often if people don't respond to an update request), so a seller can check one place to see who is after what? Maybe a bit too complicated, and I might not have expressed what I meant too clearly.

Stuart

Social source share

Mike

Is it possible to set up a section where everyone posts up their wants in a central directory or list, they get recorded in order of posting and people delete them when they get the record (maybe with an automatic clean out every so often if people don't respond to an update request), so a seller can check one place to see who is after what?  Maybe a bit too complicated, and I might not have expressed what I meant too clearly.

Stuart

link

Not sure if Stuart's suggestion is possible but if it is then it sounds like a good idea to me.

Mark

Social source share

Mike

Is it possible to set up a section where everyone posts up their wants in a central directory or list, they get recorded in order of posting and people delete them when they get the record (maybe with an automatic clean out every so often if people don't respond to an update request), so a seller can check one place to see who is after what?  Maybe a bit too complicated, and I might not have expressed what I meant too clearly.

Stuart

link

That's what I suggested to Mike last year but we went with the full Wants forum instead. I think the list is a smashing idea :thumbsup:

Social source share

good call like a first come first serve basis but do you think sellers would bother to check or just put things up in sales any way :thumbsup:

Social source share

that is a good idea

though would suggest an alphabetical listing, rather than a chronological one, because easier to whip up and down to spot wants you can match up with?

if it was just Arcades - Got To Be A Loser - Triad - Dan that would give you all you needed

btw my original suggestion to mike was actually based on trying to get a sounds slot in the main forum (as opposed to in the gallery) and felt that amalgamating was a way to free up a category

after all sounds is what it's all about and the gallery doesn't do it for me...too hidden away

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

though would suggest an alphabetical listing, rather than a chronological one, because easier to whip up and down to spot wants you can match up with?

link

What I meant and didn't make clear was that if ten people wanted the same record the list would record them in chronological order so they would see who asked first, but people could put up prices offered too, maybe able to view in price order? Shouldn't be hard and fast rules about having to offer a record in chronological order, up to seller.

Alphabetical by label or artist?

I suspect this would be a hell of a lot of work to set up though.

Social source share

Putting up extensive priced want lists on a public forum is a very good idea (NOT!) and will be very helpful for all the soulless (and obviously often pretty clueless) profiteers leaching of soul fans and the soul scene. That's what I think.

Social source share

good point stuart, in ideal world first poster should get first dibs though obviously unenforceable

re your response christian, don't think anyone mentioned priced lists? apologies if i've missed it. understand your point re clueless profiteers (if you mean US dealers etc) but that cat is out of the bag a long time ago (manship website and guide and general membership of this and other sites).

all we're saying (at least, all i'm saying) is let's have a simpler and briefer section for wants.

Social source share

Pricing is indeed mentioned above. Cat might be out of the bag but no need to make things worse than they are is there? Guides are very often wrong both ways and plenty of stuff not in any guides.

Social source share

Pricing is indeed mentioned above. Cat might be out of the bag but no need to make things worse than they are is there? Guides are very often wrong both ways and plenty of stuff not in any guides.

link

yeah just spotted it in stuart's post

would tend to agree with you re this though also see stuart's point

as for the rest of it, don't think you're ever going to stop people circulating wants lists, whether on paper or online.

Edited by Dan
Social source share

I agree, if it ain't broken why 'fix' it? Change for the sake of change alone is rarely good when it comes to practical things.

Social source share

I think the seperate wants and sales lists work perfectly well. Why change it?

Derek

link

as i say, only to free up a category so we could have a sounds section in the main forum

but not a deal-breaker, as alan partridge might put it!

Social source share

do you mean one forum with two sub forums (oner for sales one for wants?  or one forum with both sales and wants all together?  personally can't see whats wrong with how it is.

link

sorry chalky, not explaining myself clearly and throwing word 'forum' around like confetti

currently the site is divided into several different main categories - 'front page news', 'rare soul forum' and 'freebasing'.

sounds are a bit out of the way in 'gallery', which doesn't get visited very often.

the 'rare soul forum' section is sub-divided into various sub-sections...'all about the soul', 'look at your box' etc down to 'all our yesterdays'.

all i was saying was maybe it was worth combining sales and wants to remove a category from the main 'rare soul forum' part of the site - and then creating a new 'sounds' section in there.

i think it would be more often visited and sounds more often heard, and commented on (starting new threads) than in the gallery as they are at present.

after all, we're about the music mainly so music should be prominent and accessible on the site.

as people have said it isn't broke so maybe doesn't need fixing...just a suggestion.

other possibility is to put all our yesterdays into freebasing...but hell this is not a big deal, i'm not running for president on a 'combine sales and wants section' ticket i can assure you!

Social source share

Cheers for views, aint got time at moment to do ought major so was more of a case of sounding out for future tweaks

understand what Dans is saying, as in making space for a sounds section

but theres both pros and cons on the sound thing, and not convinced yet. see thread in site news for more

(thinking about it will move this thread there as well in a moment or two)

on wants - think trick would be that everyone entered their want in a format in the title, say artist-title-label

as in each forum you can choose a default of how list of posts are displayed - time, alphabetical, etc etc could do it to display say alphabetical and could do the job

however... and its a big however!

it would mean that everyone must follow this format ! :wicked:

call me a pessimist :lol: but going by overall way see some use site, think be hoping a bit for that to happen :shades:

suppose it boils down to choice of a loose or structured format in end, with benifits and down bits of each

mmmm...

anyway as said thanks for view, views from those out there always worthwhile and will move this later into site info bit

mike

Social source share

Mike

Stuart

link

What a great idea. I'll start the ball rolling,I've got a crispy new ten pound note waiting here for a Loves Stormy Weather-James Matthews and Melvyn Brown on Philmore ranting_1.gif:lol:

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Source Advert