There Will Be Blue Skies In Hatfield

• Replies 116
  • Views 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Would be very grateful if you could.  As long as you are not relying on me to navigate, I have no idea where we are going. :D Have you got room for Sharnya?

link

Hey is Sharnya coming :D ......I hope we can entertain her as well as she did at the last Solid Hit Soul!

Looking at the weather round Herts this morning, and the thread title,someone will need to play one or more of these:

Van Dykes "Save my love for a rainy day", "

Volcanoes Storm warning"

Poppies "There's (a) rain in my heart"

Jackie Lee "Darkest days"

Demures "Raining teardrops"

"Stormy" on Twinight

The Fantastic Puddles "Come back"

Art Fart Freeman "Slipping around with you"

The Moods "Rainmaker"

Bad Weather Inc

or even "You're pouring water on a drowning man".

Anyway it should clear up for later.

:D

Looking at the weather round Herts this morning, and the thread title,someone will need to play one or more of these:

Van Dykes "Save my love for a rainy day", "

Volcanoes Storm warning"

Poppies "There's (a) rain in my heart"

Jackie Lee "Darkest days"

Demures "Raining teardrops"

"Stormy" on Twinight

The Fantastic Puddles "Come back"

Art Fart Freeman "Slipping around with you"

The Moods "Rainmaker"

Bad Weather Inc

or even "You're pouring water on a drowning man".

Anyway it should clear up for later.

:D

link

or maybe Barbara Lynn - "You Left The water Running"

See you tonight :D

QOF

XX

Does that mean I can't play "And The Rains Came"........  so it's just "Nothing But Blue Skies"

link

Women....never make up their mind's.... Sue keep's saying, I am not coming out on friday, I said good ok I will go on my own now it is friday, She say's I think I will go to Martins do....

Jon Buck ps.... how do you get Blue Skies at Night time ????

Guest rachel

Sorry I couldn't make it down to your first night Martin... sadly there is no such thing as a cheap last minute train/flight (and I did try out all your suggestions)!

Good luck and have a great time :D

Women....never make up their mind's.... Sue keep's saying, I am not coming out on friday, I said good ok I will go on my own now it is friday, She say's I think I will go to Martins do....

Jon Buck  ps.... how do you get Blue Skies at Night time ????

link

very dark blue :D

Sorry I couldn't make it down to your first night Martin... sadly there is no such thing as a cheap last minute train/flight (and I did try out all your suggestions)!

Good luck and have a great time  :D

link

Thank you ETG.....I will miss you :D ...........get your ticket booked for 15th July.

xx

Good luck and have a great time  :D

link

Sad you're not coming but get on the net and start looking for those cheap flights etc for the next one.

QOF

XX

Thought it was QQF not QOF  thanks

JB

link

Look forward to seeing you BOTH tonight.

I won't be wearing my crown so no need to stand on ceremony (i.e. no scrapping and bowing) just say hi.

HRH QOF

XX

Edited by chrissieo

So Rbman has forecasted Blue Skies this Friday in Hatfield so I for one will be making the journey from La La Land to support a fellow SSer for what promises to be a great evening with a great line up of DJs at the Red Lion in Hatfield.

Looking forward to seeing you on Friday Rbman (Someone keep him away from the mike though or the DJs wont stand a chance).  Have you any new moves to show us?

See events calendar for more details.

QOF

XX

link

Well if you haven't decided where you are going to night suggest you join us all in Hatfield as promising to be a stormer.

If anyone is going south on the A1 beware of mad women dancing while driving a blue suzuki van, just give me a wide berth and you will be safe.

Good luck to Martin & Pete :)

QOF

XX

I am just about to have a shower and then off to Hatfield to set up. I would like to thank everybody who have send good wishes for our first night. I've had loads of emails, PMs and texts together with the replies to this and another thread on here. Thank you to Soul Source for providing this site.

:):lol::)

I am just about to have a shower and then off to Hatfield to set up.  I would like to thank everybody who have send good wishes for our first night.  I've  had loads of emails, PMs and texts together with the replies to this and another thread on here.  Thank you to Soul Source for providing this site. 

:)   :lol:   :)

link

And by the way, the sun IS now shining and we DO have Blue Skies :P:P

Can I add my humble opinion of the night?

Venue: Not bad, good dance floor, not too many lights, easy to get served, would prefer it more "square than long" but OK.

Music: Up and down. Filled the floor a few times, emptied it a couple of times too. Might I suggest moving the decks forward so the DJs can guage the crowd easier?

Atmosphere: Damn good crowd, everyone friendly.

Overall: Damn fine attempt at a first night! I'll be back.

Guest Trifle

PHOTOZUP!!!!

Vinnie, I'm sure Martin can get the floor re-shaped for next time.... biggrin.gif

Agree with the music thang. Maybe organise the DJs according to warm 'em up / keep 'em up / wear 'em out capabilities.

Liked the Wigan Cowboy track at the end. yes.gif

Venue was excellent. Sound system great.

Atmosphere as it should be.

Vinnie has a point about the long floor tho. Think it was sloping too, cos everyone was down one end (near the bar). smile.gif

Nice to meet new and old soulsourcers and the herts and beds conglomerate associates.... :D

PHOTOZUP!!!!

Vinnie, I'm sure Martin can get the floor re-shaped for next time....  biggrin.gif

Agree with the music thang. Maybe organise the DJs according to warm 'em up / keep 'em up / wear 'em out capabilities.

Liked the Wigan Cowboy track at the end.  yes.gif

Venue was excellent. Sound system great.

Atmosphere as it should be.

Vinnie has a point about the long floor tho.  Think it was sloping too, cos everyone was down one end (near the bar).                        :D

Nice to meet new and old soulsourcers and the herts and beds conglomerate associates....  :D

link

==========

Pretty much agree with the 'Trif', nice venue, good sized floor, decent crowd, pretty friendly etc. Thought Stuart (minus R& cool.gif:D and Dave both played really good spots, but as the lady said, think they might have benefited from a later spot.

Martin was really enthusiastic, and nice touch at the end with sincere thanks to everyone attending smile.gif

Will deffo go here again!

Winnie:-)

==========

Pretty much agree with the 'Trif', nice venue, good sized floor, decent crowd, pretty friendly etc. Thought Stuart (minus R& cool.gifbiggrin.gif and Dave both played really good spots, but as the lady said, think they might have benefited from a later spot.

Martin was really enthusiastic, and nice touch at the end with sincere thanks to everyone attending yes.gif

link

Me too Win, smile.gif dont forget to mention how good my directions were for you to get there!!! :D Also how easy it is to get to, and how much parking there is! :D

Me too Win,  :thumbsup: dont forget to mention how good my directions were for you to get there!!!  :ohmy: Also how easy it is to get to, and how much parking there is!  :yes:

link

========

Yep quite correct Nurse Karen, may I also add........

Karen gave me excellent directions, but it easy to get to anyway......and you wouldn't believe how big the car park is wink.gifshades.gif

Winnie:-) x

:thumbsup: Agree with all the comments above, a good first effort but spent most of my time waving to Winnie at the other end of the hall (which is like an old 60's ballroom, I was half expecting a rival firm in sharp suits to turn up with shooters!!!!) Music was a bit up and down but that's the joy of a first night, no time to suss the crowd. Overall had a great time with all the usual suspects, Taffy and SteveG made me smile no end and great to see the Honey Monster and the lovely Jackie out and about at long last. Give the next one a try, loads of free parking, easy to get too and another local venue so see ya at the next one.

Liked the Wigan Cowboy track at the end. :thumbsup:

Hello Ms Trifle, I do hope you don't let your boy out in his Hoodie....

Was curious about this Wigan Cowboy Song ? by this I take it you are Refuring to Biddu " Exodus " never thought of like that before, :ohmy: I think you have just renamed a Tune, shades.gif

Jon Buck

post-2461-1116786094_thumb.jpg

Edited by jonbuck
Guest Trifle

Jon, I am going to borrow the boy's hoodie for the next soul do.

What with that and the checked Tea Towel thang goin on (as launched at Blue Skies this Friday by Nini of Snowland Fashions Inc) .. It'll be THE fashion for all the best soul venues. I can see it now .....

Hoodies-BoysBacks.jpg

Look at that shiny un-talced floor! :thumbsup:

And did I mention how much parking they had?

==========

Pretty much agree with the 'Trif', nice venue, good sized floor, decent crowd, pretty friendly etc. Thought Stuart (minus R& cool.gif:) and Dave both played really good spots, but as the lady said, think they might have benefited from a later spot.

Martin was really enthusiastic, and nice touch at the end with sincere thanks to everyone attending :thumbsup:

link

As Winnie and Trifle - good night great to meet lots of new people. As with any first night it is difficult to guage who your audience is going to be but I am sure Martin & Pete will take everyones constructive comments on board for the next one. I will be there at the next one in July!! (and hopefully wont be driving this time).

QOF

XX

Guest Stuart T

Can I add my humble opinion of the night?

Venue: Not bad, good dance floor, not too many lights, easy to get served, would prefer it more "square than long" but OK.

Music: Up and down. Filled the floor a few times, emptied it a couple of times too. Might I suggest moving the decks forward so the DJs can guage the crowd easier?

Atmosphere: Damn good crowd, everyone friendly.

Overall: Damn fine attempt at a first night! I'll be back.

link

I have to say I did enjoy myself but found the crowd very difficult to guage, what I thought would be dead cert floorfillers (Cautions, Frank Foster) didn't seem to provoke much reaction. In fact I think a couple of the RnB tracks seemed to get the most reaction. What was the feeling, not enough well enough known tracks? Any difference if played later?

Anyhow, was nice to meet those I did, apologies to the bloke with the very long and neatly written request list that I didn't have a single one with me of those I do have. :thumbsup:

What was the feeling, not enough well enough known tracks? Any difference if played later? 

link

:lol: Hard to say really, from the comments going around at our end of the room it wasn't a lack of lesser known sounds that was the problem, as all of us love to hear new stuff etc, but more a lack of range, namely too much of a good thing can be a bit samey and I know that SteveG, myself, Taffy and most of the Herts Mafia would have liked some more crossover and modern thrown in to the mix. That said Stuart, you spun some great R&B, many that I also own, so I was quite happy with that.

Yogi, where was The Nolans??????? You bottled it WIMP :thumbsup:

The guy with the list is the rathr fab Chris from Stevenage, sporter of scary goatee and even scarier sense of humour. Be warned, he is an exterminator so don't forget his requests next time! :)

Guest Stuart T

:) Hard to say really, from the comments going around at our end of the room it wasn't a lack of lesser known sounds that was the problem, as all of us love to hear new stuff etc, but more a lack of range, namely too much of a good thing can be a bit samey and I know that SteveG, myself, Taffy and most of the Herts Mafia would have liked some more crossover and modern thrown in to the mix. That said Stuart, you spun some great R&B, many that I also own, so I was quite happy with that.

The guy with the list is the rathr fab Chris from Stevenage, sporter of scary goatee and even scarier sense of humour. Be warned, he is an exterminator so don't forget his requests next time! :lol:

link

Thats me done for then, I don't do modern. Its all Pete Smith's fault.... :)

Thanks to all who came for our first night...especially those who travelled long distances. Respect to all you promoters out there...how do you enjoy your own event?....I had to stay sober on a night when I could have drunk a swimming pool of beer! Thank you for the constructive criticism - I will give my full consideration to all points and alter where possible. PM me if you prefer.

Finally I want to repeat my thanks to our three DJs Dave Greenhill, Stuart Tyler and Yogi....and the guys from Sounds of Soul who's sound equipment we used (Dr Pickles, Little Reg and Yogi).

:lol: Hard to say really, from the comments going around at our end of the room it wasn't a lack of lesser known sounds that was the problem, as all of us love to hear new stuff etc, but more a lack of range, namely too much of a good thing can be a bit samey and I know that SteveG, myself, Taffy and most of the Herts Mafia would have liked some more crossover and modern thrown in to the mix. That said Stuart, you spun some great R&B, many that I also own, so I was quite happy with that.

The guy with the list is the rathr fab Chris from Stevenage, sporter of scary goatee and even scarier sense of humour. Be warned, he is an exterminator so don't forget his requests next time! :)

link

link

link

Sorry, I haven't got the hang of this replying thing yet, too technical for an old fart like me. Anyway

Neil, actually played it on saturday and it was the dogs..... Slightly different crowd to friday's though, all these women in short skirts, false freckles and supposed school uniform. They certainly didn't look like that when I went to school anyway.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself, drunk a pool of beer - handpumped bitter what a marvellous change! Good fun night and recommended. Great sets from Dave & Stuart, though people seemed to interested in drinking and chatting to dance too much. Didn't get home until 4am, thanks to a swift coffee break at Garnet Mimms services and many thanks to Nick Brown for the lift all the way back to Bromley. A scholar and a gent!

Well done Martin & Pete. Looking forward to the next one.

4am Paul :lol: you lucky thing, we didnt get home till just gone 5!

Not helped by somehow missing Garnet Mimms and ending up on the road to central London, then having to go back northwards (which really did confuss Stuart LOL) to get the M25. and as allways the stop at Garnett proved to be along one, oh, i do love the stops on the way home :)

An enjoyable night :thumbsup:

Enjoyable night, very well organised. Close proximity to station, large car park, huge dancefloor, friendly and diverse crowd and REAL ale all plus points.

The sound system/acoustics were actually poor due to the stage being “side on” and the speakers pointing directly at the wall opposite and thus “bouncing” the sound onto the floor. Speakers could do with being repositioned and weren’t that clear anyway. It was also a bit dark and difficult to recognise anybody but will be back for next one on July 15.

Excellent toilet facilities.

Sorry to be late in commenting but have had a total hard disk failure on home PC; having to do this at work.

Lesley and I really enjoyed the evening. Great to see so many friends; and meet new ones.

I thought the music was of a high standard. Dave and Stuart played the sort of sets I expect from them, but with stuff I'd not heard them play before. Thanks for playing Feminine Ingenuity Stuart, loved dancing to that one, but really paid the price the next day.

Yogi played some great classic oldies, mainly requests I think, I've Been Away definitely half killled me.

Sorry we had to leave when Martin was starting, but a thoroughly enjoyable evening. It is a nice venue, good to be able to park easily. Even better if I had not missed the turning to Hatfield and took the scenic route around La Galleria and the town centre. Good dance floor, nice to see real ale available, wish I'd been able to partake.

Hope it will be a regular event.

Source Advert