Tommy Hunt - The Work Song

Guest dundeedavie

Guest dundeedavie

i saw this on the auction page and apologise if it been up but here is a quote

"This stunning 1964 French EP includes "The Work Song" one of his highly prized recordings that never reached 45 release in the USA"

it did , didn't it ...well i've got one so it must have

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Leigh J

"This stunning 1964 French EP includes "The Work Song" one of his highly prized recordings that never reached 45 release in the USA"

On Scepter ?

Social source share

Hope you are well Mr Hudson, sound files over this weekend.

Pretty sure when it was played in the 80's it was played as an unissued track, I found it in the states about 84 thinking I had a one off just for everyone to say no loads now around!

Not sure where the unissued bit came, Mr Croasdell any comments or is it my memory again!

Social source share

You know what i can't bloody remember. I think I thought it was LP only and put it on an acetate, it was mainly because Guy used to play that other version which i can't remember either :thumbup:

That starts to make sense Ady, Guy was playing the much inferior Cleveland Robinson was he not?? One of my many nearly finds only to find I had been well beaten, again!!

Hope its the usual top night tonight, can't make next month either, plans afoot to make every one from April though, if only for the family Sunday lunch which I think should be compulsorary after every one. :yes: See you soon

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hope you are well Mr Hudson, sound files over this weekend.

Pretty sure when it was played in the 80's it was played as an unissued track, I found it in the states about 84 thinking I had a one off just for everyone to say no loads now around!

Not sure where the unissued bit came, Mr Croasdell any comments or is it my memory again!

i'm absolutely hunky dory chief , how's yourself ? looking forward to the soundfiles and will start compiling the cd's soon :-)

Social source share

I Agree........... thumbsup.gif

I have to agree on Trade Martins' version being the most danceable(for me the best version i have heard).......I must add also, i had a work song by Tommy Hunt. Mine was a demo, so was it actually issued? anyone have an issue? As that might be why peeps are saying never issued int' states.

Social source share

I have to agree on Trade Martins' version being the most danceable(for me the best version i have heard).......I must add also, i had a work song by Tommy Hunt. Mine was a demo, so was it actually issued? anyone have an issue? As that might be why peeps are saying never issued int' states.

ooh and gene mcdaniels has done a nice version on an album, a jazzy kind of mod version...which i like toooooohooooohoooooo.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

mine is an issue, and trade martin is rubbish imo

Social source share

Yes, it was issued. Two issue copies have sold on eBay during the past 2 weeks.

Below are scans of both the demo and issue:

post-1392-1235229276_thumb.jpg post-1392-1235229298_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

This was pressed up on the other side of the Ivorys ? before it was found to be on a 45 , there are loads of versions one by Georgie Fame .

Only my opinion but Cleveland Robinson is the version , I can remember Guy hammering it , it was his biggest tune for a few weeks.

Around the same time 'The pretty part of you' was getting played C/U as Chuck Jackson ,this was unreleased, anyone know why it was covered up ? Ady?

Social source share

This was pressed up on the other side of the Ivorys ? before it was found to be on a 45 , there are loads of versions one by Georgie Fame .

Only my opinion but Cleveland Robinson is the version , I can remember Guy hammering it , it was his biggest tune for a few weeks.

Around the same time 'The pretty part of you' was getting played C/U as Chuck Jackson ,this was unreleased, anyone know why it was covered up ? Ady?

Because we hadn't secured the rights at first and there were some dodgy people about who would have dived in and take advantage of the initial work. Same with Torture being accredited to Jackie Day originally.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Because we hadn't secured the rights at first and there were some dodgy people about who would have dived in and take advantage of the initial work. Same with Torture being accredited to Jackie Day originally.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Scepter copy`s seem quite common going by this thread,

i`ve also got the "Tommy Hunt/Ivorys" on a Kent German test pressing,

Ady can you remember how many of these you pressed up.

post-2848-1235400541_thumb.jpg post-2848-1235400570_thumb.jpg

Dave f............

The whole pressing was done in germany or somehere abroad and that's an original test pressing very rare about 3-10 copies done of each but not all, some of the later ones were without tps.

Social source share

No excuse! I thought you were the arch-deacon of this stuff......?

You'll be suggesting that Toby Turner never came out next.......... :thumbsup:

Ian D :D

Toby Turner?? What the fabulous "my cupboard is 3 by 4"

or did you mean Tommy Turner - My room is 6 by 6 ?

see now you're doing it..

Social source share

You're right guys I'm having a senior moment.. I have them quite often.

Yes it was issued on Scepter 1231 in 1962 I was only 9 then, so please forgive me.

Might be worth mentioning in your auction text though that "How Young Is Young" wasn't issued on a 45 in the US. Actually, I don't think it ever was released anywhere apart from on that french EP (and on a latter day Stardust 45)? Can't find any US release info for it, not on any of his LPs either. It was recorded during the same March 1964 session where he also cut "It's All A Bad Dream" and "You Made A Man Out Of Me", but "How Young Is Young" seems to have only appeared on this french EP.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert