Thoughts Please

What are peoples thoughts on Do's where CD's are used as well as vinyl?

I know this must seem like blasphemy to some of you, but I'll explain why.

I'm a member of a small ex-servicemens club locally to me and in the past we did an evening of Northern & Tamla Motown. I thought it went quite well and I managed to get a few (literally! LOL) extra people into the club, even though I didn't advertise. Anyway I digress, the club has said I would be allowed to have another do (as I told them the dancefloor doesn't see enough action). The problem being that although I would have enough records (not necessarily originals, infact quite a lot of reissues) for an evening. I feel that I wouldn't have enough quality tunes on vinyl and would therefore have to use my CD's as well.

I never advertised the last do, but was considering knocking up a small amount of flyers if I was to have another. The only drawbacks would be that it would be normal licensing hours, plus also the members of the club would be in attendance. Although saying that it would be FREE ENTRY.

Do you think I should just hold a do anyway and not worry about what formats I use and whether people turn up or not?

Please if anybody could give me some advice it would be appreciated, thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Kolla

Some of the issues raised about playing LPs and CDs was discussed earlier this year -Click here to read the topic

Many hold the belief that no self-respecting northern DJ would ever play CDs. However, IMO, if it's a "local do for local people" and you're not trying to fool soulies into thinking it's a new night on the northern soul calendar, then it does no harm.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I agree absolutely with Kolla.

Good luck to you Supercorsa, especially if your local event gets some more people interested in our music; they might just then start attending more organised soul nites. The more the merrier, particularly if younger blood is attracted.

Brian

Social source share

SUPERCORSA - JUST GET ON WITH IT MATE. SEE KOLLA'S COMMENTS. I ALSO RUN A NORTHERN/MOTOWN NITE AT A BRITISH LEGION, HAVE TO ABIDE ALSO BY LICENSING RULES , CLUB POLICIES ETC. EARLY CLOSING (BEFORE MIDNITE) ETC. ALTHOUGH IT IS BECOMING BY FAR ONE OF THE BEST MONEY SPINNERS FOR THE CLUB (BOTH DOOR TAKINGS OF WHICH ME AND OTHER DJS GET A CUT FROM) AND BAR TAKINGS, GREAT ATMOSPHERE, HAVE TO PUT UP WITH MOANING OF OLDER CLUB MEMBERS ETC ETC . PLAY WHAT U FEEL IS RIGHT IF IT GETS THE PUNTERS IN THEN ALL THE BETTER. ALSO DO NOT FEEL OVER-SHADOWED BY MORE ESTABLISHED SOUL NITES IN YOUR AREA.

GOOD LUCK! P.S. WHERE IS IT?

GRANT

Social source share

Some of the issues raised about playing LPs and CDs was discussed earlier this year -Click here to read the topic

Many hold the belief that no self-respecting northern DJ would ever play CDs. However, IMO, if it's a "local do for local people" and you're not trying to fool soulies into thinking it's a new night on the northern soul calendar, then it does no harm.

Kolla & Brian thanks for the comments, even if they are a bit League of Gentlemen-esque (What's all this shouting? We'll have no trouble here! LOL).

Oh, as I write I've just seen Grants comments. Grant you obviously are aware of the element of truth shown in Phoenix Nights. My mates on the committee don't want to charge people to come in, but hope to make a little extra in takings over the bar (shouldn't be hard, usual Friday night Crib crowd 1/2 a shandy for 3 hours!). Unfortunately my mate & I will not be getting anything for doing it, although that isn't reason for me wanting to do it. It's one of those, wanting to see if I could do it things (Does that make sense?).

Anyway it's good fun just to see the members faces when your playing tunes such as Don Gardner - Cheatin' Kind, Eddie Parker - Love You Baby, The Vibrations - Cause You're Mine (all re-issues!). You can lip-read them all saying " What the f**k's this?"

Anyway it would be in Staines, near London. I don't think the 100 Club, CSC, These Old Shoes, Bisley, etc., have got anything to worry about tho'.

P.S. Kolla I couldn't find the post about CD & LP's. Doh!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I have to say I would be a bit peeved if I had travelled a long way, and the dj's were playing cd's.

BUT, I went to a do in Gloucester, in the back of a pub, about 18 months ago, The guy who was running it on his own, was playing all CDs, and by the end of the night it was dancing room only. It had lots of non Soul types in there. All having a good time, and I came out with a smile on my face and a rather sweaty shirt. So I still enjoyed it.

Sometimes we can be too precious, and loose sight of the fact we are actually out with mates hearing the music we want to hear.

BUT at the same time, this IS Northern Soul, and the fact that we are prepared to travel hundreds of miles because one of the djs had THAT record, means that it should not become common place.

I used the Gloucester night to prove that a good time can be had dancing to CDs, but I would stop going if that became the norm.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

A further thought, cos I never know when to shut up.

There might be a hundred dissenting voices, who always SAY they can think of better ways to run a soul night. Better music, venue, beer, etc. But its is thanks to the guys who actually do run these nights, that the moaners get the chance to have their say.

You wont please everyone, but without guys running soul nights the rest of us would be sat at home moaning

Social source share

I've no problems with people playing unissued tracks from CD's or the playing of CD's at venues like yours - the music is all important and getting new blood involved is vital if we are to survive and flourish as a scene. Besides having seen the prices of 45's recently go mental and pricing many out of the market I don't blame anyone who wants to promote this scene of ours having to turn to legal CD's.

TheBIgO

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!