What records r u wearing out @ home @ the moment?

Guest James Trouble

Guest James Trouble

Jobell "Never Gunna Let You Go"

East Side Connection "You're so right for me"

Norma and the Heart Aches "Nice and Slow"

Celeste Hardie "You're Gone"

Diana Ross "Love Hang Over" (first take remix)

Gold "What About The Child" (actually that's on my mate's deck now:-( but I'm playing it on minidisc)

Broomfield Corporation Jam "Doing It Our Way"

Emporers Soul 69 "Bring Out Yourself"

Chosen Few "Birth Of A Playboy"

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Dont really play many records at home. The fella downstiars doesnt like it when I get a little carried away (but that another story heh hehe). But after last nights all singing all dancing I cant get 'Philly dog around the world' out of my head today.

That could be another one for Hadyn's stomper thread.

Honestly my bedroom last night resembled a Jade Goody workout video, but with a really ugly fat person in it..DOH !!

Social source share

Coincidentally, I've been hammering two of the above (both sides of them too).

Barbara Mercer and Juanita Wiliams. Oh, and...

Tony Owens 'I'll be there' (bloody astounding)

Jerry Tiffe 'Hey whatcha doing'

Otis Leavill 'I'm amazed'

Hugh McCracken 'What I gotta do'

Sean

Social source share

Guest micksmith

just played curtis mayfield's miss black america. from the lp cutis. still sounds just as fresh as it did when i bought it in 1971. i was only 12 then.

Social source share

Guest Kolla

This week at work it's

Towana and the Total Destruction "Wear your natural" and

The Dynamics "Misery"

- both of them over and over again - on my headphones naturally - my colleagues think i'm crackers as it is!

This week at home... actually not been playing any tunes... but does Billy Hick's count ??

Social source share

Guest Kolla

BABY BOY ~ JUANITA WILLIAMS.. One of them really good cheapies...

love it too... a soulie who is tired of Jaunita is tired of life.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

dynamics misery covered in the uk by the high numbers(the who). different title same track what happened to the rights?. the b side is the same as well. soul gettin' ripped off again?

Social source share

just played curtis mayfield's miss black america. from the lp cutis. still sounds just as fresh as it did when i bought it in 1971. i was only 12 then.

Thank you Mick, you've cheered me up as I was 4 in 1971. I feel alot better realising that I'm not as old as some on here! LOL! ;-)

Social source share

Guest Kolla

dynamics misery covered in the uk by the high numbers(the who). soul gettin' ripped off again?

You got me thinking Mick (and thus searching the superhighway) about the High Numbers ....Just look at this whopping list of covers they did - https://www.thewho.net/whotabs/covers.htm

Big Top's Dynamics were a fabulous band (the flip to Misery is great too) but I think the fact they surfaced around the time as Motown was their downfall. Their beautiful harmonies and snappy rhythms were a bit too turn of the decade.

Terribly interesting fact number 5009: Misery reached #11 in the Pittsburgh Radio Charts in '63 !!

Social source share

I've got to join in here say that I'm in total agreement with everyone about Barbara Mercer...So Real, and Juanita Williams ...Baby Boy. Detroit strikes again, wonderful stuff.

Vinyl i'm wearing out at the moment :

Carl Henderson .... Everybody's talking ....Omen

Players .....Why did I lie ....minit

Dee Dee Sharp.....The Night ....Cameo

Kathy & the calenders ..... Please don't go ...Port

Rufus Wonder ......Under the moon ...Lendo

Social source share

The Dynamics' "Misery" was appropriated ( along with nearly all the High Numbers' covers) by their manager/svengali Pete Meaden, who also taught them how to dress and "act" Mod. By all accounts he was always in touch and ahead of the game in that particular scene.

On my turntable this week....Bobby Freeman : Fever

Brenda Holloway: I'll Always Love You

Betty Lavette : What Condition My Condition Is In..

Chuck Jackson: I Only Get This Feeling

Curtis Mayfield: We Must Be In Love...

Social source share

Chantells - Indian Giver - Verve

The Vonns - So Many Days - King

Benny Scott - No Other Woman But You - Mellow Town

Jelly Beans - You Don't Mean Me No Good - Eskee

Gino Washington - I'll Be Around - Atac

Social source share

I was trawling through the old boxes and dragged out " Jealous" by Little Royal and the Sidewinders (Trius) can't stop playing the damned thing, absolutely brilliant.

Plus " Steal Away Tonight" from the "Here I Am" LP by Barbara McNair, that sends shivers down my spine......Incredible.......gotta play it again....

Brett

Social source share

Drake and The En-solids - Fight For Love - Alteen.

The Firm of Hodges, James, Smith and Crawford - Let's Pick Up The Pieces - Mpingo.

Eddie McLoyd - Once You Fall In Love- Dakar.

Jon Lucien - Search For The Inner Self- Ampex.

Detroit Spinners - Can't Shake This Feelin' - Atlantic.

Social source share

Guest waynep

tower of power-just when we start makin it

jean carn-if you wanna go back

debbie taylor-just don't pay

jimmy raye-philly dog

jeff perry-love don't come no stronger.

Social source share

jeff perry-love don't come no stronger.

Better not leave your computer unattended next time. Some nasty person typed in Jeff Perry. It's alright, I'm at the dentist tomorrow I'll get me cumuppance.

Social source share

Guest waynep

Better not leave your computer unattended next time. Some nasty person typed in Jeff Perry. It's alright, I'm at the dentist tomorrow I'll get me cumuppance.

is that you MAY?

Social source share

Buster & James - The Flip - Cee Jam

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

F**ing Brilliant instrumental

Gonna hammer this one at the Girlies night @ 100 club! Be warned

Also cant stop playing Narbay (only on a soundbite though - sob!)

Herbert Hunter - Isn't it wonderful to dream... Sing it at the top of my lungs whilst doin the dusting, my neighbours have taken out a contract on me!

Social source share

almays close at hand for some turntable action in me digs at the mo are.......

Benny Curtis 'That's alright'

The Notations 'I can't stop'

Shirley and the Shirelles 'Never gonna give you up (Never ever gonna give you up)'

Jimmy Merritt 'I'll forget about you'

Social source share

Here's a Few that are getting Hammered on the Decks at the Moment.

Frank Furter and the Hot Dogs ( Imitation) Uptown

Pat Johnson (East of the Sun)

Sonny Bricecrest on Azetta

Cathy Davis (Here I am on my Own) Taurus

Terry Callier(Pyramids of Love)

Social source share

Okey-dokey, here goes with what's currently being played to a packed record room (well, me and my 15 month old son anyway) at the "legendary" Maison de Soul in the sunny People's Democratic Republic of Bolsover, god's country, North East Derbyshire.

Just be for real - Johhny Moore (Jadan) - come on, the guy never cut a bad tune in his life! wouldn't know how to!

Little wooden soldier - Little Wooden Soul-diers (Pam-O) - an Ebay bargain!

Yum yum tree - Bobby Bland (Duke) - see comments re: Johnny Moore.

Merry go round - Soul Children (Epic) - heard it? got it? I envy you hearing this for the first time - too common to become a spin? who knows/cares?

If I can't fly - Honey Cone (Hotwax) - Sam's got a copy apparently - is this being played out?

Social source share

Nothing better than a captive ordiance is there..... Our lad is six and he still get's a blasting of soul in the evenings. He's picked up on a few soul tracks from watching, his disney video's. One of his current fav's is The Capitols... cool jerk. which he heard on home alone 2, or was it 3. He was amazed when I played it to him.

Social source share

I've started converting all of my CDs to MP3 and bought a CD MP3 player. As someone not really active on the scene for many years, there are a lot of sounds that are new to me that on first hearing on CD I skipped after a few bars, as too slow or not the right beat etc. I now just dump over 300 tracks onto a blank CD as MP3s, put my headphones on, select random play and just listen while walking, or riding to work. It's not surprising that I'm now discovering many tracks I just passed by previously, and even oldies that I hadn't heard for many years that I had forgotten. So the past 40 years of the rare soul scene is hot on my digital turntable at the moment.

And no I wouldn't play them this way at a venue! And I don't file share!

KTF

Social source share

Records getting hamered on my deck at the moment, got in from work at 1.30am just had to play them,am i a soul junkie ?

THE DELLS "THERE IS "

THE AD LIBS"HE AINT NO ANGEL"

WALTER & THE ADMIRATIONS "MAN O MAN"

CHOSEN FEW " BIRTH OF A PLAYBOY"

THE TOPICS "HEY GIRL(WHERE ARE YOU GOING)

THE MANHATTANS "I BETCHA (COULDN'T LOVE ME)

CDS GETTING ZAPPED

THE MASQUADERS "THAT'S THE SAME THING"

FORTSON&SCOTT "SWEET LOVER"

ANTILECTS "LOVE SLAVE"

ROBERT TANNER "SWEET MEMORIES"

RUFUS WONDER "UNDER THE MOON"

Social source share

Nice selection Mr.Heaney, Rufus Wonder is Awesome, included it in my list a few days ago. I picked a copy up a bout a month ago, and havn't stopped playing it since. I also played it at the rhyl weekender, a couple of weeks ago. Much appreciated by the knowledgeable guests who were there.

Social source share

Here's are the 10 sides I've been wearing out the most over the past couple of weeks, courtesy of "Headphones & Harmonies Inc":

Joe Simon - I See Your Face (Hush) (more so 'cos my wife likes it!)

Fabulous Apollos - Some Good In Everything Bad (Valtone)

Nancy Butts - I Get Lonely (Flaming Arrow)

Johnny Watson - Ain't Gonna Move (Okeh LP Track)

The Martinels - I Don't Care (Success)

Eddie Foster - I Never Knew (In)

Beverley McKay - Baby You're So Right (Old Town)

Louise Lewis - Wee Oo, I'll Let It Be You Babe (Skyway)

The Contemplations - Alone With No Love (Dontee)

Ted Taylor - I Lost The Best Thing I Ever Had (Soncraft)

Gene

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!