Kings Hall

like it or not, this place is heaving, top tunes (mostly) and the biggest, clearest PA system ive heard in ages. nice to meet up with some good friends, old and new. i saw Mrs Le-Hair so i presume Steve was there somewhere, sorry i missed you mate.

kingsway hall next week anyone? :thumbsup:

anyway , Debbie was chuffed to bits that Ginger played 'The Antellects' ..... not heard since london (Capital soul club)

post-14474-1235301384_thumb.jpg

post-14474-1235315803_thumb.jpg

Edited by IanP
  • Replies 41
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm really pleased it was another great night at Stoke. I would also like to apologise for what I now see as negative & petty comments I made on the 'events' thread................... 6.30 in the morning massive hang over & putting my big gob in gear before I had engaged brain, still not an excuse & Im more than a bit embarrassed to be honest & no malice intended, I was being a smart ass, but it wasnt funny.................sorry

Apologies to Kev, Sam & of course Shaun (hope you made it & had a blast).

Russ who will not be engaging key board before brain in future.

Its sunday lunchtime, the roast is in the oven and myself and Mr baby Cakes are nursing our aching feet, the boys and girls of "Team Stoke" have yet again done us proud. After a rather suspect glass of red wine, (the Sarsons variety), in Wetherspoons, we made our way down to the Kings Hall, handed in our tickets, and said farewell to the outside world. Inside the strange world of Northern Soul we found folks droppin, spinnin, stompin and shufflin, filling the floor to every tune. The atmosphere was electric, the crowd were on fire, the dj`s were givin everyone what they wanted as if every record was played just for you. The night progressed too quickly and before we knew it we were saying our good byes, wishing everyone a safe journey, and already looking forward to the next installment of "Stoke, thee allnighter". So it just leaves me to say, thank you to everyone involved, you had the power, you took it and you used it, you made me feel theres nothing like it...

If music be the food of love...i`ll have a soul sandwich! :thumbsup:

I must say there were some repeats or "garlic" tunes as i like to call them, but instead of looking at them as "repeats" :thumbsup: cant we just call them "so good we played them twice"?? :thumbup: ,

best regards from the "my glass is always half full" soul club

Edited by baby cakes

I must say there were some repeats or "garlic" tunes as i like to call them, but instead of looking at them as "repeats" :thumbsup: cant we just call them "so good we played them twice"?? :lol: ,

best regards from the "my glass is always half full" soul club

exactly ! what if you missed it first time and wanted to dance to it ? few repeats don't bother us too much :thumbup:

pete n' susan

Guest mvb031259

Well the soul sandwich must have been a soul cucuber and onion sandwich because there was a lot of repeats again.

Kev :thumbup:

Yeh we were there pretty much all night and i think i heard two :lol: ..... tut .... tut. As i said in a previous post do we really expect all the DJ's to sit there for 10 hours taking notes on what each other play? like school kids. You could put forward DJ's publishing play lists before the event which to me is a no no, because it removes the possibility of requests and changing it a bit if the floor goes too quiet... which it doesn't. All in all you can't take away from the venue, which was packed and the overall quality of the music. It takes some beating in my book :thumbsup:

Been going to the Kings Hall nighters ever since they started and to me they are getting better and becoming a lot of peoples fave all time venue.I really enjoyed it last night.Musically all the big standards were played along side the more recent massive spins.Ginger played the fantastic Instrumental of Jesse Davis--Gonna Hang On In There,that was my tune of the night.Also heard The Parliments--Rainy Day,plus his big Rita & the Tiaras instrumental.John Poole's Debut was also excellent congratulations to him on a brill mix of plays,think he spun Soul bros Inc--Teardrops

Tell you what it would be great to see the paylists from last night so everyone who didn't attend can see the quality played.The one thing about stoke is that even an old played out oldie seems to some how sound better the crowd just brings the venue to life which doesn't happen at many places.

Spoke to a well travelled crowd and more than usual first timers who can't believe they have been missing out for so many years.Top marks again to The Kings

the dj`s do a fine job, if the artists themselves can copy each other and release each others tunes...chuck jackson, in between tears, tony stone, love dont come no stronger, jj barnes, competition aint nothing to name but a few, then does it really matter if, in 9, YES 9 hours of music, a couple of tunes are repeated, these dj`s are only human, i know i dont stay in one place for the whole 9 hours without a break so how can they, maybe the promoters could employ people to stand by the stage and check the records before they are played, or, and heres a thought, maybe the folk who run up on the decks to check the labels could be persuaded to branch out into checking if the tunes have been played already, i for one thought i got more than my moneys worth and went home happy.

Guest outonthefloor

I'm really pleased it was another great night at Stoke. I would also like to apologise for what I now see as negative & petty comments I made on the 'events' thread................... 6.30 in the morning massive hang over & putting my big gob in gear before I had engaged brain, still not an excuse & Im more than a bit embarrassed to be honest & no malice intended, I was being a smart ass, but it wasnt funny.................sorry

Apologies to Kev, Sam & of course Shaun (hope you made it & had a blast).

Russ who will not be engaging key board before brain in future.

Nice one Russ,

Anyone can be a bit overzealous sometimes but it takes a real man to apologise like this especially on an event which some people on here just love to criticize...Hats off to ya matey.........

Anyway that said I had the best night out I've had in ages at Kings Hall Sat night.....Stoke does exactly what it says on the tin and you just cant seperate the music from the people, the atmosphere and the venue.

We went up with Kitty and Paul n it was great to see loads of our friends in attendance..special hi to Lou n Dr Pickles and Mr & Mrs Kev Kent and Much Love to all me Face Book girlies who just blew me away with love n laughs xxx

As this was the first time in 4+ months ive worn shoes i tried the dancefloor out tentitivly and restricted myself to one tune every hour. Foot held up nicely if not a tad swollen so with lifeline next week I'll be giving it another work out soon.

We were there 'til 5 ( a 4 n half hour drive home meant I couldnt last till 7 ) but I think i heard 2 repeats. I wasnt really there to memorise what i wanted to moan about later unlike some people :rolleyes: .. but some people come later, some go earlier so not everyone hears the same tunes and in 9 hours its just bound to happen.

Stoke doesnt have to monopoly on repeats, I've actually heard one or two at the hundred club before too you know.....So what!

Thanks to all the Dj's MickH and Sean Chapman my personal favs but all did a great job. The floor was packed all night and there were a fair few young'ens in too.....mind you at my age they're all young'ens!!!!

Helen.........Backonthefloor xx

And even the promoter can be bothered(and this is a first!biggrin.gif) to post up a playlist of his warm up.

Hopefully I can get a later spot sometime in the future laugh.gif

9-10.15 Kings Hall 21/2/09

Chase Those Clouds Away-Sam Nesbitt

Yes I'm In Love-Unique Blend

Soldier Boy-Bobby Angelle

I Don't Want To Lose Him-Gi Gi and the Charmaines

Baby I Want You-The Moments

I Really Love You-The Tomangoes

Get It Baby-Stanley Mitchell

A Little Togeherness-Younghearts

He Broke Your Game Wide Open-Frank Dell

What Happened To Yesterday-Mr.Soul

You Better Go Go-Matt Lucas

I Have A Girl-Magnetics

I Can't Give You Up-Smoove

Janice-Skip Mahoney

Cant Lose My Head- George Blackwell

Whats Wrong With Me Baby-The Invitations

Lonely, Lonely Girl Am I-Velvelettes

Time-Edwin Starr

Shoes-Bobby Bland

Gonna Be A Big Thing-Yum Yums

Nothing Can Help You Now-Lenny Curtis

Thanks For A Little Lovin-The Trends

Just Like You Did Me-Yvonne Vernee

And even the promoter can be bothered(and this is a first!biggrin.gif) to post up a playlist of his warm up.

I Have A Girl-Magnetics

Janice-Skip Mahoney

Time-Edwin Starr

Shoes-Bobby Bland

And what a cracking playlist it is Kev.Like i've already said don't think i have ever seen a full playlist for stoke from all the Djs,and it would make impressive reading me thinks

Guest chorleybloke

And what a cracking playlist it is Kev.Like i've already said don't think i have ever seen a full playlist for stoke from all the Djs,and it would make impressive reading me thinks

Its my 4th Kings Hall which ain't bad seeing I have to travel from either Australia or in this instance Monaco to attend, and this was the best yet. 2 reasons I say that...

1) the "old played out oldies" argument is a bit weak these days with Dave E, Mick H, Sean C & Neil J involved - these blokes clearly have a good think about what to play to keep it fresh. OK you're going to hear plenty out of the top 500 but that's fine - just being in that venue watching the passion does it for me.

2) for some reason the usual 2:30am exodus didn't happen & it was still bangin at 6am when I had to leave for the airport.

Amazing atmosphere as always & a hundred mates to catch up with - but a bit of summat extra this time for me...

Cheers

Pete

we are sorry to say stoke was not up to it.s normal brilliant best to be honest it gets more like middleton every time that is the music pollicy even the atmosphere was not bup to normal thank god for john poole on his debut he blew all the others out of the water lets hope he gets a regular spot not one of his sounds had been played previously which you couldent say of anyone else. roll on prestatyn now ive had my say i feel better see you all soon keep the faith

Guest Carrie Mehome

My first time at Kings Hall and I will definately go back again. Big thanks to Helen for driving us there and great company. Really good crowd and good old-fashioned oldies - we loved it. Good atmosphere and lovely to catch up with people. It was like a mini Blackpool. Lots of laughs, hoofing and drinking!

we are sorry to say stoke was not up to it.s normal brilliant best to be honest it gets more like middleton every time that is the music pollicy even the atmosphere was not bup to normal thank god for john poole on his debut he blew all the others out of the water lets hope he gets a regular spot not one of his sounds had been played previously which you couldent say of anyone else. roll on prestatyn now ive had my say i feel better see you all soon keep the faith

Chris I can't see why you should mention middleton but then again its a free forum,2 top venues, music's policy in different directions,enjoy what you got.

Billy

I Have A Girl-Magnetics

Janice-Skip Mahoney

Time-Edwin Starr

Shoes-Bobby Bland

must say kev , we nearly did,nt come as the last few times the music policy was swinging towards the commercial . but we did decide to come with an open mind , & were glad we did. northern & rare soul in it's own mecca with only a hand full of repeats . thanks

mart & jellybean ...... posting my photos later

Chris I can't see why you should mention middleton but then again its a free forum,2 top venues, music's policy in different directions,enjoy what you got.

Billy

Each to their own billy there are those who only want to hear the same tunes over and over again,me i enjoyed stoke as always and packed as usual regardless of what ever else is on[just like middleton :D ].

Well i just had to reply to this and say that i know we all got our own opinions on music policies :thumbsup: but how on earth can you knock the atmosphere in that hall lastnight, it was awesome :P:D

Guest spreaderone

i wouid say a bit of a insult to the other djs,as all the djs on the night were great,

pete spread

Another Kings Hall fantastic night, I go to each event with an open mind as what to expect, yeah some DJ's can sometimes be a little predictable, somewhere like the Kings Hall offers a different couple of area's to go such as the Modern room, not everyone's cup of tea but worth venturing in to see how other folks fave music is moving, then the upstairs if the Dj is not playing you particular brand of music or even the record bar always new people to meet collectors or not.

If I don't like an event I either have a quiet word with the promoter and let them know in a positive way or just dont go again, most promoters do listen and some actually change after listening to opinions, they cant suit everyone's taste though. We have our money we take our choice.

But it is great to see all the people enjoying themselves and meeting new people with the same interests as each other.

Thanks for a great night, see you all soon.

Guest Andy Kempster

its only my second visit to the kings hall and yet again what a brilliant night, cant wait for my next opportunity to feel that buzz as you walk into the main hall at the start of the night...absolutely electric :thumbsup: only one small gripe and that was perhaps a little too much chat on the mike using up valuable dancing time, found myself on many occassions waiting in the middle of the dancefloor for the next record to start while i had to listen to the life history of the upcoming or recently finished track. dont really care that much just wanted to keep the feet moving

Guest BintofSoul

The sussex two had a great night, our first to Kings Hall. I had far too many vodka & red bulls to remember who was DJ'ng when, but the music was excellent. We danced non stop. Great crowd & atmosphere. Bit of a trek for us northerners turned southern softies, but it was well worth the journey :thumbsup: . Roll on Blackpool and everything in between!!

Guest matt tees

Been going to the Kings Hall nighters ever since they started and to me they are getting better and becoming a lot of peoples fave all time venue.I really enjoyed it last night.Musically all the big standards were played along side the more recent massive spins.Ginger played the fantastic Instrumental of Jesse Davis--Gonna Hang On In There,that was my tune of the night.Also heard The Parliments--Rainy Day,plus his big Rita & the Tiaras instrumental.John Poole's Debut was also excellent congratulations to him on a brill mix of plays,think he spun Soul bros Inc--Teardrops

Tell you what it would be great to see the paylists from last night so everyone who didn't attend can see the quality played.The one thing about stoke is that even an old played out oldie seems to some how sound better the crowd just brings the venue to life which doesn't happen at many places.

Spoke to a well travelled crowd and more than usual first timers who can't believe they have been missing out for so many years.Top marks again to The Kings

Hi Patto, glad you enjoyed Stoke on Sat. I always feel it is such a priviledge and honour to play to the massive crowds at Stoke, as always the atmosphere and dancers, blows me away every time. I came on after Mick H and this is my set from 4.30am-6am. I always think this is the time to keep the tempo going, I must admit the Kings was still full by the time I left the stage and this stayed the same until Neil's last record. Not quite in the order but not far from it. Great to see everybody and particulary nice to see Helen back on the dance floor (AGAIN) where she belongs.

KINGS HALL SEAN CHAPMAN 'S PLAYLIST 4.30 - 6.00 AM

FOUR PRO'S - JUST ANOTHER GIRL - CARLA DEMO

RITCHIE ADAMS-I CAN'T ESCAPE FROM YOU-CONGRESS DEMO

AL WILSON-HELP ME-WAND DEMO

JOHNNY HOWARD-THE CHASE IS ON-BASHIE DEMO

JO JAMA - MY LIFE - OPTIMUM

CONSTEALLATIONS-I DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO-GEMINI DEMO

FREDDIE CHAVEZ-THEY'LL NEVER KNOW WHY-LOOK DEMO

BILLY DAVIS-STANKY (GET FUNKY)- COBBLESTONE

BILLY BUTLER-RIGHT TRACK-OKEH DEMO

ROSCOE & FRIENDS-BROADWAY SISSY-TEC

LUTHER INGRAM-IF IT'S ALL THE SAME-HIB DEMO

MVP'S-TURNING MY HEARTBEAT UP-BUDDAH DEMO

DEL LARKS-JOB OPENING- QUEEN CITY

ENCHANTMENTS-I'M IN LOVE WITH YOUR DAUGHTER-FARA DEMO

ISONICS-SUGAR-KAMMY

CHARLES SHEFFIELD-IT'S YOUR VOODOO WORKING-EXCELLO DEMO

CARL HOLMES-SOUL DANCE NO 3 -BLACKJACK

JOANN COURCEY-I GOT THE POWER-TWIRL DEMO

POOKIE HUSDON-THIS GETS TO ME-JAMIE DEMO

KENNY SMITH-LORD WHAT'S HAPPENING-HOTSPOT

LEE ANDREWS-NEVER THE LESS-CRIMSON

THELMA LINDSEY-PREPARED TO LOVE YOU-MAGIC CITY

RITA & TIARAS-GONE WITH THE WIND-DORE

JACKIE DAY-NAUGHTY BOY-PHELECTRON

JOHN LEACH-PUT THAT WOMAN DOWN-LAWN DEMO

YOUTH OPPORTUNITY-OF HOPES AND DREAMS (INST) - COLUMBIA DEMO

KINGS GO FORTH-YOU'RE THE ONE-MR C

SUSAN BARRETT-WHAT'S IT GONNA BE-RCA DEMO

JOHNNY CASWELL-YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE-DECCA

VAN DYKES-SAVE MY LOVE FOR A RAINY DAY-MALA DEMO

LARRY ALLEN-CAN'T WE TALK IT OVER-GREEN DOLPHIN

LENNY CURTIS-NOTHING CAN HELP YOU NOW-HIT

JIMMY BO HORNE-I JUST CAN'T SPEAK-DADE

Edited by matt tees
Guest Tim aka Bob

Well the soul sandwich must have been a soul cucuber and onion sandwich because there was a lot of repeats again.

Kev :ohmy:

Ay up Kev.....great ta see ya again down in the 'bearpit' down at the front...I thought you and the 'Derbyshire Amigos' were a bit quiet on the nite... g.gif

'Draycott Drifters' had a crackin nite!! mellow.gif

Ay up Kev.....great ta see ya again down in the 'bearpit' down at the front...I thought you and the 'Derbyshire Amigos' were a bit quiet on the nite... g.gif

'Draycott Drifters' had a crackin nite!! mellow.gif

Ay up Tim,

The Derbyshire lads,well it was me and Webby on this outing,The Derbyshire lads are always quiet, Derbyshire Gentlemen are very refined. shades.gif

Webby was on the floor most of the night,I though cherry picked what I danced to,but we as always was there until chucking out.

It was nice to see Mark,out again.

Kind Regards,Kev. :ohmy:

Hi Patto, glad you enjoyed Stoke on Sat. I always feel it is such a priviledge and honour to play to the massive crowds at Stoke, as always the atmosphere and dancers, blows me away every time. I came on after Mick H and this is my set from 4.30am-6am. I always think this is the time to keep the tempo going, I must admit the Kings was still full by the time I left the stage and this stayed the same until Neil's last record. Not quite in the order but not far from it. Great to see everybody and particulary nice to see Helen back on the dance floor (AGAIN) where she belongs.

ISONICS-SUGAR-KAMMY

POOKIE HUSDOB-THIS GETS TO ME-JAMIE DEMO

JOHNNY VASWELL-YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE-DECCA

Its a priviledge to listen to a set like that sean.I left just after your set finished and danced to most of your spot.Remember thinking to myself bloody hell i'm shagged out wish he would play one i don't like for a rest.Thanks for posting your set.the value of the records played during the night must be astronomical

Guest cocopachino

Its a priviledge to listen to a set like that sean.I left just after your set finished and danced to most of your spot.Remember thinking to myself bloody hell i'm shagged out wish he would play one i don't like for a rest.

:lol::DDitto :unsure:biggrin.gif

Excellent night we had... nice to catch up with people we ain't seen for ages..... great music, great atmosphere - what more can one ask for....

7am came around FAR too soon yes.gif

ISONICS-SUGAR-KAMMY

POOKIE HUSDON-THIS GETS TO ME-JAMIE DEMO

JOHNNY CASWELL-YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE-DECCA

Damn it!!. I left too early and clearly missed a brilliant set!. Gutted

Great night, simply the best niter in the world. thumbup.gif

Jayne.x

Agree John Poole did a very good spot but certainly don't believe that every other DJ played repeats. Thats simply not true.

Jayne.

well i think we were all expecting some sort of negative feedback werent we, and true to form there it was, on the positive side, 3 negative comments out of all the folks who attended, well i like those odds, you never know, one day the receipe might just be perfect laugh.gif:lol: , but until that day lets just ask the "my glass is half empty soul club" thmbdn.gif , credit where credits due, think about how hard it is in this day and age to still draw crowds the way Stoke does, if nothing more...it gets you out of the house!! :lol:

Edited by baby cakes

yes a little too harsh - the majority are all genuine soulies rolleyes.gif

However i think baby cakes takes it all a little too personal, :no:

She falls in line with JJ Barnes (dont bring me no bad news) :D

In fact a few more tunes like that, along with no bar would completely alter my views about Kings Hall :D