The Girrrls are Back @ 6Ts

Guest Kolla

Guest Kolla

APRIL ALL-NIGHTER AT THE 100 CLUB is an ALL-GIRL line-up!

Saturday, April 24th

I know there's a few weeks to go yet - but i'm putting up the details now as it's a night not to be missed.

This month's all-girl line-up includes Val Palmer (100 Club's first resident gal DJ), Sue and Amanda, That Girl Lynne, Soulful Cristina, Dawn Brown, Lisa Hurley, Jody Daley, Nicola & Big Girl's Blouse Harboro' Horace.

This will also be Janine's final all-nighter for a wee while as she's taking off to Australia soon, so come and say farewell to your fellow soul-sourcer.

https://www.6ts.info

• Replies 32
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Kolla

Tickets for 6Ts' 25th Anniversary (11th Sept. 2004) will be going on sale at the April all-nighter (April 24th).

For the time being we are only issuing one ticket per person.

This will also be Janine's final all-nighter for a wee while as she's taking off to Australia soon, so come and say farewell to your fellow soul-sourcer.

Oh no! not emigrating for a few months yet ;-))) Will be celebrating my Birthday at the 100 club as it falls on the same day (24th)

Guest Kolla

Oh no! not emigrating for a few months yet ;-)))  Will be celebrating my Birthday at the 100 club as it falls on the same day (24th)

Sorry angel, i was passed on the wrong info from Horace.

BTW - you´re gonna have to shout loud on the 24th if you´re planning on letting people know it´s your birthday. You unfortunately share the same birth date as the one and only TRICKSTER and he´s planning on taking over the entire stage that night. God help us.....

No worries, make sure he doesnt stick that on his mail out for me please ;-) It's my last birthday here, not off for a while. Trickster adn I exchange presents and card's every year, he's also welcome to the stage LOL

Sorry angel, i was passed on the wrong info from Horace.

BTW - you´re gonna have to shout loud on the 24th if you´re planning on letting people know it´s your birthday. You unfortunately share the same birth date as the one and only TRICKSTER and he´s planning on taking over the entire stage that night. God help us.....

Also Jets birthday too!!!

Guest Kolla

make sure he doesnt stick that on his mail out

With all you ladies to put onto the flyer, the printer had no room to fit in Trickemon (his Japanese monicker) hehehe :)

Guest Kolla

Message passed on from the 6Ts big boss man:-

Tickets go on sale for our very special 25th anniversary all-nighter on September 11th at the 100 club this Saturday, 24th April 2004

The night will be 9pm-8am and will feature loads of groovy stuff, guests and mayhem.

Tickets will be an exorbitant £25 to pay for the extra rent, the guests and to buy me a new bat.

You can only buy one ticket per person in person at the next few nighters. Ticket numbers will be limited by our capacity so we're being super strict to ensure the people who support the club monthly will be the ones who end up with the tickets. I have no idea how many nighters they will last so get down sooner rather than later.

I've made a lot of great friends and acquaintances over the last 25 years but too many to do special favours for on this occasion. So no guest list (what's new) and none of that .... "i couldn't make it to buy a ticket because my dog was on fire".

It's particularly tough on the overseas members and people whose dogs genuinely are on fire but it's the only way to fairly administer the tickets for such an historic event. So jump on the next Jet and land in London this Saturday.

horace

Guest Johnny One Trout

I know we are being forced to attend even though there are no proper DJ's on!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all that bloody Janines fault why couldn't she have a birthday up north like normal people ;o))

Obviously only joking so see y'all there on Saturday and if anyone's up in Wigin on friday night we will be at the quite simply marvelous Orwell.

John

Guest Johnny One Trout

I was working the door all night so can't give it a worthy review so....who's gonna give us a quick review of the girl's night at 6Ts?

Ah so that was you!!! I did wonder, i would do a review but i'm crap at that sort of thing and surely it would be much better coming from little miss mischeif Janine as she hi-jacked the night ;o))

John

So it was always gonna be a packer. Every boyfriend, ex-boyfriend, admirer and downright pervert turned their backs on a starry night to wander down the bassment steps and curb their curiosity as to what these fine women may produce... Thankfully there were more stars inside than out.

Descending the stairs to The Continental 4 said it all as baby carrying Christina proved that motherhood doesn't tinker with your tastes. Another rampant list of the finest tunes cumulated in Esther Phillips lullabying Chris to bed.

The Soul Sisters enjoyed one birthday and countless bottles of expensive wine between them as the needle jumped and the speakers hollered. Quite simply the wildest and most debauched DJ set at the 100 Club since Ady pogoed to the Pistols in the 70's.

It all became a blur after that. And I can't remember the rota. Dawn Brown carefully lay her dazzling rarities onto the decks as the crowd danced to every one of her choices. The delicious Sparkels raising the most interest and belying her diminutive stature.

That Girl pulled them from every pocket to ensure that the dancefloor stayed full. Trailblazing through a succession of soulful masterpieces including The Ideals, the tragically underplayed The Q ('this one's for the dancers') and Betty Moerer's Speed Up, she had me running after myself in circles. She availed herself with the uncomparable class of Old Town's Freddie Houston.

On her return to the 100 Club after 10 years, Val Palmer's set was perhaps the most anticipated of them all. Unfortunate then that she didn't get the appreciation she deserved.

A set of underplayed greats from the likes of Heart Trouble to My Kind Of Woman should've had more impact than they did. Especially when she had the nerve to pull out the mighty Billy Woods' 'I Don't Want To Lose Your Love', much to the express enjoyment of Nick Brown and myself (I stoopidly sold him my copy years ago. bah).

Later than expected, Lisa Hurley took to the stage with the savvy style of a 50's hipster and the mumblings of a mute. But thankfully for us, her reluctance to say a word meant that she was able to crowbar in even more great tracks, from Brown Sugar to Delagates Of Soul. Containing a mix of celestral 70's and sassy 60's her set was a much needed lift at 6am.

Wild card brumster Jody Daley spun sweet soul and hard early r'n'b which split the crowd in two. She had me hardpaced when she dropped the needle on 'Dance By Yourself' on Flippin, a gritty T-Rex of a tune.

It was getting late and the crowd had thinned to make way for for the sounds of Mr Sandman. Those who had stayed were treated to Nicola's diverse mix of 60's through to modern soul. Our young Danish visitor was in his element. Bill Bush filled the floor again and gave a second wind to many.

The last half hour saw 'Adrianna' join Nicola for a twin-set (HAR!) of the beautiful midpaced and uptempo sound the 100 Club is famed for.

As Walter Jackson signalled the end of a breathtaking morning of rare soul, you couldn't help thinking that what mama said about watching out for the boys was a lie.... It's girls you gotta watch.

Twas a brilliant night Kolla, all the girls did fantastic spots, and Ady did ok too ;-) you was right about the embarrassment factor, Ali had made A4 flyers with photos of me as a 13 year old and another when slightly older sat on a scooter, saying "Birthday Bint on a bike, mine's a double if your going to the bar" then she made me hand them out LOL, the balloons were a nice touch and even though I look nothing like 73 years old!!! the 7 deflated and I suitably acted my new age of 3. Forgot you on the door, you missed the bubbly and pin the tail on the donkey, was supposed to have been pin the tail on the record dealer, but no one was brave enough to pin it on Mick Smith ;-)

Guest Kolla

but no one was brave enough to pin it on Mick Smith ;-)

Good to hear you had a top birthday, J... and now I know why Mick was loitering without intent upstairs for so long LOL

Matt - great write-up. A couple of people I spoke to yesterday were very much in agreement with you on the mood of the whole night.

BTW - to all those that didn't pick up a flyer Saturday - Matt (conveniently?) forgot to mention that he will be BEHIND the decks at next month's all-nighter on May 22nd.

Cheers Kolla! Yeah so don't be suprised if you hear a bit of Suede or Supergrass. :) Can you believe Trickster sobered up for the 100 Club? He was a completely different man from the one who was legless in his kitchen 2 hours previously.

I wasn't on until 6.15 so for those of you who had gone to bed, here's my playlist

Calvin Grayson - You've Got To Be Willing - IN

Jesse Johnson - Left Out - Old Town

Acetate - Never Gonna Be The Same

Marva Josie - You Lied - Time

Frances Burnett - How I Miss You So - Coral

Jeanette Williams - I Can't Wait - Terry

Brenda Holloway - Stay In School - Promotional record

Cody Black - Slowly Molding - King

Barry Grand - Anniversary Song - Karate

Gene Chandler - Pretty Little Girl - Constellation

Buster & James - Count The Tears - Cee-Jam

Justin Jones - Dance By Yourself - Flippin

Johnny Hunter - If The Things In My Room Could Talk - Liberty

The Royal Premiers - Who Am I Without Your Love - Toy

The Del Vikings - Too Many Miles - ABC Paramount

Regina Sherard - Helpless Baby - King

Teri Thornton - Either Way I Lose - Columbia

Johnny Wesley And The Four Tees - You Still Need Me - Melic

Jodie x

It was Lynne. She played before Ady's first set. Nicola doubled up with him for the last half hour or so. But can't remember her penultimate record. It wasn't The Q (crazy, frantic, blue-eyed dancer) was it? Do you remember how it went? Vaguely.

Guest James Trouble

I'm not sure it was The Q, I remember that being played. It was kind of percusive with a tighten up (ish) guitar. It was great to dance to, up tempo and pretty funky.

Guest Kolla

FREDDIE HOUSTON "IF I HAD KNOWN"

SOLD TO HER BY THE CHEAPEST RECORD DEALER FROM THE SOUTH.

Here's the Freddie Houston sound clip

A truly marvellous tune! And while i'm here ... the cheapest dealer in the South showed me the Brenda Holloway french EP on saturday and it's very orange, and very fantastic! Mick - can you put a scan up - or is that a bit complicated :) ))) LOL

Guest Kolla

Here are some of the records that "that girl" Lynn, Lisa Hurley and Soulful Cris played last weekend at the 100:-

Lynn's set (off th top of her head) included;

Tommy Turner- Lazy (Elbam)

The Two People- Stop, Leave My Heart Alone(Revue)

Lillian Dupree- Hide And Seek (D Town)

Freddie Houston- if I Had Known (Old Town)

Lisa played:

I'll Find You - Val And Nick (Grover)

She'll be Leaving you - Willie Kendricks (on acetate)

Just Loving You - Ruby Andrews (Zodiac)

I'll come running back - Delegates of Soul (Uplook)

I'm Coming home - September Jones (Kapp)

I'm so Glad - Joe Cato (Cadet)

Don't wanna Run no more - The Royal Esquires (HSI Prix)

If I could Only be Sure - Nolan Porter (ABC)

Game is Over - Brown Sugar

Cris's playlist (added 28.04):-

PATTIE WARD: YOU HAVE TO WAIT FOR LOVE ROAD RECORDS

WHIRLWIND: DONT'LET HIM GET THE BEST.... ROULETTE

THE FLIRTATIONS: SETTLE DOWN FESTIVAL

THE CLASSETS: THE GUY'S IN LOVE WITH YOU ULTRA-CLASS

THE STOPPERS: COME BACK BABY JUBILEE

COOKIE SCOTT & CHEVELLS: I DON'T CARE ORR

THE HEARTBREAKERS: I'VE GOT TO FACE IT DERBY CITY

CAROLYN CRAWFORD: WHEN SOMEONE'S GOOD TO YOU MOTOWN

CONTINENTAL FOUR: THE WAY I LOVE YOU BABY

JEAN BATTLE: I'VE GOT TO COME IN CLINTONE

LEZLI VALENTINE: I WON'T DO ANYTHING PLATINUM

JOE DOUGLAS: CARAZY THINGS: PLAYHOUSE

WILLIE TEE: FIRST TASTE OF HURT GATUR

BROTHERS OF SOUL: I'D BE GRATEFUL BOO

SHAWN ROBINSON: MY DEAR HEART MINIT

CLARA WOOD: YOU'RE AFTER MY GUY IMPERIAL

THE SHEPARDS: LITTLE GIRL LOST

THE VOLUMES: I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF AMERICAN ARTS

Guest micksmith

hi kolla, it's a bit complicated. i've only just learned how to work this new age machine. e-mail me with some instructions. i've also some other french eps. chris clark-m/velettes-supremes-m/vandellas-s/wonder-4 tops-contours-d/spinners-temps-miracles-jr. walker-m/gaye-velvelettes-earl van dyke-lewis sisters-j/ruffin all with great pic/sleeves.

Guest Kolla

You'll need a scanner? Do you have one? If not then you'll just have to lend me them so i can do it for ya :)

On the subject of picture sleeves. There does seem to be some brilliant examples from European issues. Mick's mentioned some of his french ones above, and on my travels in Italy and Holland in the past i've come across some amazing ones.

Is this just a coincidence or were more picture sleeves produced for the European market ? Anyone got any thoughts?

PS: Stupid question of the day:

What is the different between a factory bag and a record sleeve :(

Guest Johnny One Trout

A record sleeve is white ;o) and a factory bag has the manufacturer's logo's all over it ;o))))

There does seem to be quite an interest in factory bags doesn't there, the amount that i must have trashed over the years....doesn't bear thinking about really.

John

Loved the Justin Jones Jodie. A new one to us and it had Anna gasping for breath afterwards. Regina Sherard sounded so sweet at 7am.

Love the Calvin Grayson, probably the best record of the night. It's mighty close between this and t'other side Loves Just Begun which is the better!!!