Years ago today

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

Rob Holmes remined myself and a few others, it was 20 years ago today that Marvin Gaye was killed.

When I get back from the Wigan play in Greenwich tonight, I might stick on Lonely Lover, and the Oion Sng before I hit the hay. Mybe not your faves, but songs from my younger days, that remind me of good mates and happy times.

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Cool meeting Inga, Mark, my brother, and his wife Fiona in the Spanish Galleon around 7. Looks like the theatre isnt too far from there.

Mike

Guest in town Mikey

Was going to say join us for a pint.

Until I read that last line.

To use the Soul Source vernacular - get your coat.

In case you donr know me I have short ginger hair, and I am wearing a plain green Ben Sherman. I left my spencers at home, die to added an inch or two to my waist since 1978

I didn't see you Mike so couldn't say hello. I say Gene in the distance. Good night, wasn't it? Now, I knw I should know this and probably do but I can't think at the moment. What was the second song played? It was when Eugene said his brother gave him his fist northern soul tape.

HI Dave and Mike,

Was a really good evening!! Dave, I think that the second track played may have been "What's The Use Of Me Trying" by the Tan Geers.

Surprisingly, there were quite a few tracks used in the play that didn't get a look-in on the CD comp. Pity really; I'm sure it could have been stretched to a double CD!!

To those of you going to see it on its last two nights in London, have a nice evening - I know you will!! The humour is in the right places, although if I'm going to nit-pick, the sound quality was a bit poor, though I feel that was more down to the sound facilities in Greenwich Theatre.

"Nylon Y-fronts are back in style"!!!

Gene

Guest in town Mikey

Had a really great time. As Gene says the humour is great, and it does tug at the heart strings. I wont tell the name of the teary eyed girl i said goodbye to leaving the theatre.

For me the highlight was watching the girls dancing. It really took me back to when I first started going. As we have all gotten a little older and maybe less fit the dancing styles of men and women have adapted, but watching those girls last night was superb.

Wanted to go again tonight and take my girlfriend, to show her some of the reasons why I am a Soul boy. But due to commitments we cant make it, but I would recommend to anyone who wants to take a partner not into soul along to the play, to do it. For me it really caught that feeling when you first hear, see, smell a northern soul allnighter.

I'm going tonight, and am really looking forward to it, doubt if I'll be the only 40 something there, but you never know. It seems theres not a day goes by without someone from the soul past passing away, or an anniversary of someone's passing, so doing something to celebrate their life is worthy, afterall, without their talent and legacy we'd be all the more poor. It makes you feel very mortal when, as a youth, immortality seemed to be possible, if not inevitable, unless you overdosed on something odd. I came close, but live to celebrate Northern Soul, KTF, DavidC

Guest in town Mikey

There were quite a few 60 somethings there last night.

I was sat behind a guy, in his late 50s early 60s, who I thought was going to get up and dance many many times during the show. Especially when they played Sister Lee. And did anyone one else there last night spot the guy in the front row, on the 'WOO' in I gotta find me somebody'. Really funny. Just couldnt stop himself.

If I have one criticism, it is, you cant listen to Northern Soul, sat down, with wanting to jump up and do a little shimmy.