North South East West Interview And Sitting In The Park Music Show

boba

Hi. Yesterday on my radio show I interviewed a couple of members of the Chicago group North, South, East, West. The group was from the West side of Chicago. The group originally consisted of three siblings -- Michael Moore, Anita Hartshorn, Angela Hartshorn -- all grandchildren of legendary Chicago manager Ruth Moore.

All three children grew up listening to Ms. Moore's groups (such as the Kittens, Majors, and Five Wagers) practice in their home. Michael Moore began emulating these groups and started singing around the age of 3 or 4 years old. When he was 8 years old, Moore asked his mother if he could start singing, and he formed a group with a few kids from the neighborhood.

When Michael was 11 years old, he started singing and performing with his two younger sisters (7 and 9 years old), under the name the Three Portions of Love. Although they were very young, the group actually performed at adult nightclubs, opening up shows at 9:30 or 10pm. Inspired by the more sophisticated groups managed by their mother, the Three Portions of Love rejected the bubblegum kiddie sounds of the Jackson Five and the Sylvers and instead performed "adult" R&B tracks such as Gladys Knight and the Pips' "Midnight Train to Georgia".

A few years after the group formed, William Barnes (who sang with Michael in his previous neighborhood group) came by the house while they were practicing and ended up joining the group. The group changed their name to the Portions of Love. The Portions of Love were together for another year before Ms. Moore got them a record deal with Chicago producer Clarence Johnson. Johnson signed the group to 20th Century records (on which he released his hit "Love Jones" by the Brighter Side of Darkness). 20th Century records didn't like the group name and Ms. Moore changed the group name to North, South, East, West. In 1974, 20th Century released one single on the group, "I can't make it without you", backed with a version of the Little Jimmy Gandy track "I'm not like the others". "I can't make it without you" had a sophisticated early 70's Chicago soul sound (similar to Love Jones) and received play in Chicago and several other cities.

North, South, East, West continued to perform for a few more years, actually touring during the school year. Around 1977, the group recorded an entire album with Clarence Johnson for 20th Century Records. Johnson's relationship with 20th Century soured and the album was never released. However, unbeknownst to the group, Johnson released a 12" single by the group -- "Keep on Dancing" -- on AVI records. Despite having recorded better material, the single that was released had more of a disco sound that was popular in the era. By the time the track came out, Moore was in College studying drama and the group eventually drifted apart. The group continued to perform sporadically until 1979.

You can listen to the interview on my interviews page at:

https://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

I also did a music show. The playlist follows. You can listen to the show at https://www.sittinginthepark.com/2-22-2009.mp3. You can also listen to previous music shows I put online at https://www.sittinginthepark.com/shows.htm

Thanks for your interest. The playlist is:

Intensions - You say that you love me - USA

Jay J Jones - I don't know about you - V-Tone

Pyramids - What about you - Vee Jay

Aaron McNeil - Since you went away - Capitol

Ron Holden - Girl I love you - Rampart

Hilites - Oh lover of mine - J and R

Tamlas - Love makes the world go round - Funny A

Charlettes - The fight's not over - Angie

Lorraine and the Socialites - Any old way - Mercury

Cynthia and the Imaginations - There's something the matter - Magic City

Cornelius Brothers and Sister Rose - Let me down easy - UA