100 Club Threads

Not been for a while but I am going to rectify that soon.

The 100 Club for me was a taste of home.

YH628034_429long.jpg

I think it was the first ever Allnighter that I had been to that you could actually get an alcoholic drink at, I must admit to finding this a little strange, the only time you could get a drink to Northernsoul was at a an Alldayer?

I remember never having my bleedin membership card with me, it was yellow and ripped, still have it today.

Kinda weird having a nighter in the middle of London, Oxford Street is well busy in the day time then when the night falls and the crazy people are left roaming the streets a queue of right dodgy characters forms out side a seedy jazz club.

As one o'clock approaches the last of the jazz cats stumble out of their zip zap zippedy zap drinking hole stumbling towards taxis and Sunday morning hang overs, the odd one looking back in confusion at the bizarre gathering of Soulies waiting to be let in.

No matter where you where in the queue, no matter how long you had waited, the place always seamed to be full and every seat and table taken.

The ubiquitous Hawaiian shirt, slicked back hair and Japanese student, the visiting TV type and trendy bendy never diluted the real nitty gritty Northernsoul essence and this was its strength.

I always thought the music was a little hit and miss during my early visits, there didn't seam to be cohesion or direction, maybe it was me? I think that because it carried the Northernsoul torch standing alone I kinda expected some thing different than I got? I suppose I wanted what I hate now and that is floor fillers, my my how taste buds can change.

Social source share

• Replies 88
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Ollie Lailey

For me its mod corner by the stage. Always make a bee line for this part of the venue. in the 7-8 years i've been going i have only once gone to the righthand side near the bar, and that was just odd so i went back over to the lefthand side of the satge and everything was ok again.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

For me its mod corner by the stage. Always make a bee line for this part of the venue. in the 7-8 years i've been going i have only once gone to the righthand side near the bar, and that was just odd so i went back over to the lefthand side of the satge and everything was ok again.

When i first started going i was always on the right hand side in the corner & have now migrated to mod corner on the left as this is where the cool people stand. laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Mod Corner was my first location back in the mid 80's (usually after walking up from The Bizz on Tooley Street at 3 in the morning!) but I tend to hover around the space between dance floor and record bar now (threads not quite sharp enough for the Mod section these days).

It's funny how that area has always attracted the smart lot - can anyone shed any light on how or when that developed? Would us 'Class of 85 / 86' lot have set the trend or were we just continuing a long tradition?

Social source share

The whole place is absolutely drenched & dripping in atmosphere, nostalgia & excitment.........from the small entrance in the middle of a Metropolis, on one of the busiest streets in Europe...........a mighty Rare Soul diamond shines.......a true, authentic soul club, that has evolved, grown, twisted & turned & remained number one in my heart for decades...........its unassuming, yet, prolific, the clientelle eclectic, as is the music, remains the same but changes constantly..........like James, I think I know every lump, bump & divit on that dance floor.............I've seen it grow from humble beginnings to a musical monster. I've enthused, stomped, shuffled & shimmied to the tunes of more residents & guest DJ's than I care to remember...........from the moment you descend the stairs to the hallowed ground, you know its gonna be a life changing experience...........the muffled sounds of dance music from a bygone age, by artists long forgotten by nearly all, except the chosen few, gradually grows into a crescendo........& before you know it, your consumed by a wall of thumping, mind blowing, tear jerking sweet soul that just makes you wanna dance..........I have never had a bad night at the 100 Club ever, the venue, patrons & promoter are very special & long may it reign supreme...........see ya next time.

Russ

Social source share

The whole place is absolutely drenched & dripping in atmosphere, nostalgia & excitment.........from the small entrance in the middle of a Metropolis, on one of the busiest streets in Europe...........a mighty Rare Soul diamond shines.......a true, authentic soul club, that has evolved, grown, twisted & turned & remained number one in my heart for decades...........its unassuming, yet, prolific, the clientelle eclectic, as is the music, remains the same but changes constantly..........like James, I think I know every lump, bump & divit on that dance floor.............I've seen it grow from humble beginnings to a musical monster. I've enthused, stomped, shuffled & shimmied to the tunes of more residents & guest DJ's than I care to remember...........from the moment you descend the stairs to the hallowed ground, you know its gonna be a life changing experience...........the muffled sounds of dance music from a bygone age, by artists long forgotten by nearly all, except the chosen few, gradually grows into a crescendo........& before you know it, your consumed by a wall of thumping, mind blowing, tear jerking sweet soul that just makes you wanna dance..........I have never had a bad night at the 100 Club ever, the venue, patrons & promoter are very special & long may it reign supreme...........see ya next time.

Russ

Spot on that Russ.

I remember my first night down there when Ady was still Horace. I didn't know what to expect as being fairly new to London someone told me it was a really heavy black club. Felt right at home when the first person I saw was Jackie Green. It was like going home and has felt like that ever since. A true bit of Northern down Sarf'.

Kev

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Behind the decks gotta be # 1! :lol:

# 2 ... Mod corner (piano side) :g:

I'm with you, big fella....behind the decks is just fab or lurking in the corner :):D

Social source share

Hearing Mick Smith play "You Brought About A Change In Me" as you are queuing down the stairs........ the way Mel Britt sounds when the tune is bouncing around the walls..... :)

The way the hairs stand up on the back of my neck and the fact that I can't stop grinning when I go...... and that some tunes sound so damn good I could cry with the pure emotion of it all... :g:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Standing in a queue at 1.30, talking to everyone, and amusing myself at puzzled looks from 'cool cats' who spent a fortune on their outfit, and whose night is finishing, with ours just about to start (Or continue if we'd been to Valatone earlier on).

Worst thing about it. I couldnt take it with me when I left London, and despite good intentions find it really difficult to fit more visits in around my new family.

BUT going back, is like I've never been away. If you could bottle what the 100 has.....wow, I'd be an addict.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

Rear, left hand side of the dance floor (as you face the stage) for me. It's the easiest part to run to from the record bar. It keeps you on your toes too: lose control of a spin, and it's curtains.

Social source share

Guest Martin Coleman

Best thing about the 100?

That it is still going strong, and that we all still get to go.

Edited by Martin Coleman
Social source share

Standing in a queue at 1.30, talking to everyone, and amusing myself at puzzled looks from 'cool cats' who spent a fortune on their outfit, and whose night is finishing, with ours just about to start

Yeah man I miss the queue... Rolling up to see Trickster if he was there first, or we got there before him. What you said of those bemused & pished up jazz cats is spot on and was good value.

Also the 100 Club does have Lourdes like powers in that on more than one occasion I've been feeling really rough but not wanted to miss it and come out feeling like $100. :P

Is this M1/M6 thing the northern boys doing the northern northern soul thing? g.gif

Social source share

I dont know the guys name, but sure most people know him. He wears glasses, is about 5'8"ish, possibly slightly balding, always immaculatley dressed and always has record box in tow. Possibly from the Manchester area?

Hey that could almost be me - except I'm almost totally bald, dress like a tramp & can't be arsed with records.

I've never been to Manchester.

Social source share

Yes Rachel :thumbsup:

Come down in May -it's my ****%%% birthday so Rich and i have decided to take a trip down to see if anything has changed in the last 3 or so years since either of us was last there....(I heard a rumour about R&B :( ..... :) )

mine too Reg and i will be there too :yes: but im not as old as long by a long chalk :D

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

For some reason i always ended up at the fooking back talking to some tw@t called Ken :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: I never got any sense out of him then and still dont when i see him now!!!!!

Rick

Social source share

From a DJ perspective The 100 Club has to be one of the most electric venues to play tunes at, being so close to the dance floor, low stage the huge 100 sign behind you just makes for a magical place to stand, although I don't get down there that much it's still a very special place for me as it was one of the first major venues I DJ'd at back in 1980/81, get it right there as a DJ and there is no better feeling, had the pleasure of DJ'ing there many times over the years and everytime it's a buzz and a real honour to do.....roll on March 28th.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

From a DJ perspective The 100 Club has to be one of the most electric venues to play tunes at, being so close to the dance floor, low stage the huge 100 sign behind you just makes for a magical place to stand, although I don't get down there that much it's still a very special place for me as it was one of the first major venues I DJ'd at back in 1980/81, get it right there as a DJ and there is no better feeling, had the pleasure of DJ'ing there many times over the years and everytime it's a buzz and a real honour to do.....roll on March 28th.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

were coming on the 28th also mark, six of us up to now is it a good place to sell vinyl its our 1st visit

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Wasnt that where we first met Mark?

The night you got yr copy of...............................................

Rick

Social source share

Guest Duncan3k

For us it was always mod corner by the LHS of the stage. Always made a bee line for this smart situation. in the 17 years was in London and been going I have only once gone to the righthand side near the bar, and that was just odd so I went back over to the LHS of the stage and everything was ok again.

Duncan and Steph from Sunny sort of soulful Adelaide!

Social source share

Wasnt that where we first met Mark?

The night you got yr copy of...............................................

Rick

Not sure if it was that night we first met Rick but remember buying that beauty off you on the way out at the top of the stairs as it were.....lol still have it mate, maybe see you down there on March 28th.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Scarborosoul

Not sure if it was that night we first met Rick but remember buying that beauty off you on the way out at the top of the stairs as it were.....lol still have it mate, maybe see you down there on March 28th.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Would never regret selling it to you m8 I know it went to a loving home :thumbsup: Just amazes me the price of it now. I cant make 28th as Im going to Maxims charity all-nighter as Meningitis is a subject very close to my heart.

Rick

Edited by Scarborosoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert