Epic

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest souldancer

A really big buzz has gathered about this on the EMS forum...hopefully this will be another of those tunes that help towards closing the gap in uniting both scenes.. :shades:

It's certainly got all the qualities IMO... :thumbsup:

Julia

Social source share

This has been pushed the last week or so via Facebook.

A defining moment in the great soul vs house debate?? A landmark tune in that respect?

Watch this space!

PS....as for vinyl, I suspect so as Deepa Grooves still do tend to press vinyl I think.

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I hope that this doesn't come across as a negative post, that's a weak opening if I'm honest, but Kenny seems to be of the Shane Richie mould, he'd sing at the opening of an envelope - does that sound harsh?

He does tend to over-sing a song if that makes sense!?

I've mulled the KB question over and over.

The question being: Kenny earns his money through song, like so many of our heroes over the years but how many songs have been sung for anything other than keeping himself up there and in work?

Now I understand that this quandry could be applied to Mary Wells, Martha Reeves, Luther Ingram, Wilson Pickett et al, just about any singer (dj, promoter) really.

But I do feel that Kenny's falsetto delivery, although quaintly soulful and relevant, has become in my mind slightly diminished simply by the amount of product that he has released.

Don't get me wrong here, Kenny Bobien will forever have done more for black music than I could ever dream of doing - but - it does make me question what is true soul music, soul music that is sung from the heart and what is being sung simply to earn money.

I would like to profer an explanation that kind of center's around anyone's early input (be that on any level, promoting, dj-ing, singing, whatever), that early input seems to be more from the heart and less job-like than their (anyones) later input.

That later input, when you are more savvy to the industry (recognised say) must be surely aimed at keeping your head above water moreso than proving your worth as you once had to.

Which asks the question:

"Does recognition remove you from the things that initially made you want to prove your worth to your peers?"

Social source share

I hope that this doesn't come across as a negative post, that's a weak opening if I'm honest, but Kenny seems to be of the Shane Richie mould, he'd sing at the opening of an envelope - does that sound harsh?

He does tend to over-sing a song if that makes sense!?

I've mulled the KB question over and over.

The question being: Kenny earns his money through song, like so many of our heroes over the years but how many songs have been sung for anything other than keeping himself up there and in work?

Now I understand that this quandry could be applied to Mary Wells, Martha Reeves, Luther Ingram, Wilson Pickett et al, just about any singer (dj, promoter) really.

But I do feel that Kenny's falsetto delivery, although quaintly soulful and relevant, has become in my mind slightly diminished simply by the amount of product that he has released.

Don't get me wrong here, Kenny Bobien will forever have done more for black music than I could ever dream of doing - but - it does make me question what is true soul music, soul music that is sung from the heart and what is being sung simply to earn money.

I would like to profer an explanation that kind of center's around anyone's early input (be that on any level, promoting, dj-ing, singing, whatever), that early input seems to be more from the heart and less job-like than their (anyones) later input.

That later input, when you are more savvy to the industry (recognised say) must be surely aimed at keeping your head above water moreso than proving your worth as you once had to.

Which asks the question:

"Does recognition remove you from the things that initially made you want to prove your worth to your peers?"

Barry

Thanks for the "Gettysburg Address" but I feel at times mate you don't half complicate things.

Kenny Bobien has a new tune out - I posted it up for people to be aware of it - they either like it or they don't - it really is as simple as that

Take it by your negative sounding post that you are not a fan of it.

Like you I have many Kenny Bobien tunes - 90% of which I would not recommend on here because of their mainly out & out house/gospel content. I feel this tune has a sort of retro feel that may appeal to certain people on here.

If more people become aware of, like & buy music by Kenny Bobien then that is all good isn't it ?

Social source share

Very, very nice.

Can see where Barry's coming from (that makes a change laugh.gif ).

Not Kenny's usual 'praise the lord' kinda stuff. Now't wrong with that sort of God/Gospel stuff & Kenny's at his best doing that as it's his passionate belief & it shows.

For me Gospel is Soul music in it's purest form but I don't believe in God so it's a bit of a dilemma personally. One of my all time favourite tracks is Jasper St Co - Smile. 100% feelgood passionate Gospel Soulful House but the message means nothing to me.

Anyway back to KB. Great new track & nice to hear something a bit different & more laid back from him. Sounds a bit like some of the things from Mr Day to my ears.

Also good to hear some nice stuff surfacing again on traxsource as a lot of the stuff has been a bit stale recently IMO but this & Tyron Dixon have had me hitting the 'buy' button.

Social source share

To question of all people Kenny Bobien's commitment to a performance or the content of his lyrics (re: his religion) is absolutely laughable.

He's a gospel singer who religiously (excuse the pun) attends his church every week, has never got anywhere near making enough money out of music to make a decent living, and is still out there singing out of his love for music and his God. All the comparison's to the people mentioned fail because they were commercially successful artists who had massive hits, if Kenny was only in it for those reasons he'd have given up years ago.

Whether the track floats your boat or not is a personal opinion, but to base the fact you might not like it as much as one of his older recordings as questioning his ability or commitment is just ludicrous and insulting to him. I wish there were more like him in the world, it'd be a better place.

cheers Sutty

Social source share

......................if Kenny was only in it for those reasons he'd have given up years ago.

cheers Sutty

Ain't that the truth!! Surely the same must be said for most all of these guys?? There's hardly a great deal of money in 12" runs of 1000 ish worldwide is there???? Bit of pocket money maybe, but I can't imagine it putting a roof over your head!!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Ain't that the truth!! Surely the same must be said for most all of these guys?? There's hardly a great deal of money in 12" runs of 1000 ish worldwide is there???? Bit of pocket money maybe, but I can't imagine it putting a roof over your head!!!

Cheers,

Mark R

no money at all in it mark...after production costs/labels etc ....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!