Timi Yuro

Timi Yuro ( born Rosemarie Timotea Aurro in Chicago on August 4th, 1940) passed away at age 62 at her home in Las Vegas at 4:00 p.m. Pacific Time, on Tuesday, March 30, 2004.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

found this on the web.....

Known as "the little girl with the big voice," Timi Yuro's booming, resonant vocals were sometimes mistaken for being black, being a man's, or both. Her voice was indeed mammoth, and her delivery astonishingly mature, on her debut single, "Hurt." This 1961 version of the pop standard reached number four and was followed by a brief period of stardom in the early '60s. Too pop in orientation to be called a rock singer, too conscious of rock and soul trends to be pigeonholed into what was then called the adult market, Yuro's undoubted talents never fully jibed with her material. While there was soul in her voice, it was of the Dinah Washington or Nancy Wilson sort, with perhaps more of a bend for straight pop than pop/rock. Over the course of the few years following "Hurt," she actually found her greatest success on the easy listening charts, but also dabbled in girl group pop, R&B, Gene Pitney-like ballads, and Patsy Cline-like country. She scored several minor hits during this time, the biggest of which was the most soulful: "What's a Matter Baby (Is It Hurting You)"; reaching number 12 in the U.S., it was covered by the Small Faces a few years later as the B-side of their first single. Continuing to record throughout the '60s and into the '70s, she experienced little success after leaving the Liberty label in 1964.
Social source share

Never before have I been prompted to admit that the death of someone I admire brings a lump to my throat; however, that is the case with Timi Yuro. I first got to know her music through a close relative when I was so young. Since then, she has been the one female vocalist I have had the greatest admiration for, so learning about her death is indeed a very sad time.

God bless you Timi........

FROM bobbyvee.net:

April 1, 2004 Timi Yuro dead at age 62

Timi Yuro succumbed to brain cancer Tuesday afternoon (March 30) in Las Vegas at the age of 62. Timi was born Rosemarie Yuro in Chicago in 1941. Her family moved to Los Angeles when she was nine and opened an Italian restaurant, where Timi began singing. She signed with Liberty Records when she was 18 and placed eleven songs on the charts in a five year period, including the #4 song, "Hurt", as well as "Make The World Go Away" and "What's A Matter Baby (Is It Hurting You)". Timi had been plagued by throat problems throughout her career. She retired in the '70s, and after surgery to remove nodules from her vocal cords, she was ordered by doctors to temporarily suspend talking, let alone singing. But when "Hurt" became a surprise #1 hit in the Netherlands twenty years after its success in the U.S., she resumed performing and touring, playing to sold-out concert halls throughout Europe. Her health problems continued, though. Timi lost her larynx to throat cancer two years ago and then was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor-a battle she finally lost. She passed away peaceful in her sleep at her Las Vegas home. Plans are for her body to be cremated and the ashes scattered on her parents' graves in Cicero, Illinois, near Chicago.

Gene.

Social source share

Here's my favourite picture of Timi, which I though I'd share with you all. It's from the front cover of her 1965 UK LP "The Best of Timi Yuro (Liberty LBY 1290). It contains the only UK release of another Northern classic, "Insult To Injury".

Gene

post-1-1080928207_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Sad news indeed, decided to play my "SOMETHING ON MY MIND" Lp as a small tribute to a petite lady with a huge voice.

GOD BLESS HER

Brett

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!