Mark Lamaar's " Alternate 60s " Show Thursday 26th Feb

Guest Malc Burton

I was travelling back from Sunny Scunny last night , after watching the sad defeat of Doncaster Rovers Belles by Arsenal Ladies , when I happened to catch the last in the series of Mark Lamaar's " Alternate 60s " show , which include these tasty sides .......

' LIGHTEN UP BABY ' - TY KARIM

' YOU BETTER CHECK YOURSELF ' - SOUL BROTHERS SIX

' TRY ME FOR YOUR NEW LOVE ' - JUNIOR MCCANTS

I was pleasantly surprised that these were included : was this a one - off , or has the featuring of such rare soul sides been a regular thing in his series ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was travelling back from Sunny Scunny last night , after watching the sad defeat of Doncaster Rovers Belles by Arsenal Ladies , when I happened to catch the last in the series of Mark Lamaar's " Alternate 60s " show , which include these tasty sides .......

I was pleasantly surprised that these were included : was this a one - off , or has the featuring of such rare soul sides been a regular thing in his series ?

Malc Burton

Always worth a listen Malc, think he feels a few northern gems increases his listenership (is that a word?). Has a good eclectic mix. He does (perhaps righlty) state that the northern scene like the rockabilly scene need to be told what to like. I've heard a few on his show and dug them out to pay em again.

Dean

Social source share

i work nights every friday(not good for a soulie) so i listen to his Gods jukebox show from midnight till 3am and is always good for some quality rare soul, inbetween the country, rockabilly and the like

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

yes, mark has a soft spot for n-soul. i remember meeting mark at a comedy show in edinburgh, during the "festival" around 14 years ago. i got speaking to him at the bar after the show. one thing led to another....... and the both of us started singing little anthony "better use your head" at the top of our voices!!! (pissed again!) :)

he told me this was his favourite northern tune.

Social source share

Guest east rob

yes, mark has a soft spot for n-soul. i remember meeting mark at a comedy show in edinburgh, during the "festival" around 14 years ago. i got speaking to him at the bar after the show. one thing led to another....... and the both of us started singing little anthony "better use your head" at the top of our voices!!! (pissed again!) laugh.gif

he told me this was his favourite northern tune.

i heard his show the other week, he played good good feeling by the falcons, not heard it in an age.

feckin class tune! i,d forgotten all about it. great to hear again.

atb, rob :ohmy:

Social source share

BIG VISITOR AT AUSTEN RECORD FAIR EXPECT TO SEE HIM THERE THIS YEAR ALSO,HE HAS GREAT TASTE HE TRIED TO SWIPE THE INSIGHTS -TURN ME ON SWEET ROSIE OF ME AT AUSTEN IN 2007 ,SAYING F--K ME THATS INCREDIBLE,A GOOD LAD ALSO LOVS HIS RARE ROCKABILLY,IM NOT SURPRISED ABOUT HIS TASTE.

BAZ A :ohmy:

Social source share

BIG VISITOR AT AUSTEN RECORD FAIR EXPECT TO SEE HIM THERE THIS YEAR ALSO,HE HAS GREAT TASTE HE TRIED TO SWIPE THE INSIGHTS -TURN ME ON SWEET ROSIE OF ME AT AUSTEN IN 2007 ,SAYING F--K ME THATS INCREDIBLE,A GOOD LAD ALSO LOVS HIS RARE ROCKABILLY,IM NOT SURPRISED ABOUT HIS TASTE.

BAZ A :ohmy:

IF I REMEMBER HE WAS A GUEST ON Mc CONIES NS SHOW AND TOLD HOW HE GUESTED ONCE AT THE 100 CLUB, IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME HIS CHOICES WERE BILLY DAVIS,THE VELOURS AND THE VIBRATIONS.

KEV

Edited by kevinsoulman
Social source share

IF I REMEMBER HE WAS A GUEST ON Mc CONIES NS SHOW AND TOLD HOW HE GUESTED ONCE AT THE 100 CLUB, IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME HIS CHOICES WERE BILLY DAVIS,THE VELOURS AND THE VIBRATIONS.

KEV

That wasn't the 6TS night though. I agree he's a good geezer with taste and is hopefully gonna help me a bit with the Kent Harris Story CD.

Social source share

Went to rhythm festival last year in Bedford in August, Mark was compare between bands played some great sounds went and asked him for a play list for the night, he says come back when iv'e done, he gave me all the cd's he had used on the night. fantastic guy & a lot of really great sounds, S.

Social source share

+1 God's Jukebox (web page here), though I find the live acts tedious and the interviews awkward.

He often drops some Northern in. I regularly listen to him on the way to/from events, and its nice to hear someone with such a discerning, catholic taste on the radio.

Kind of like much-missed John Peel, but with more of an ear for black music.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!