Bridgwater Soul Nite- 28/02/2009

DEAR PETE, CATHY AND THE TEAM

I'M STILL ON A HIGH FROM LAST NITE- REALLY ENJOYED DOING A SPOT AND SHARING A FEW TUNES WITH SOME GREAT PEOPLE. LIKE I SAY TIME AND TIME AGAIN, THIS IS WHY I TRAVEL MOST WEEKENDS TO A NORTHERN SOUL NITE. THE PEOPLE ARE SECOND TO NONE AND THE MUSIC TAKES YOU AWAY! I REALLY ENJOYED THE MUSIC PLAYED BY PETE, NEIL AND NIGEL, PITY THEY WON'T SELL ME ANY OF THEIR TUNES! IF I KEEP ON LONG ENOUGH THEY SHOULD GIVE IN! LOOKING FORWARD TO MORE GREAT NITES IN THE FUTURE AT BRIDGWATER, WITH THE LINE UP AT THE NEXT ONE BEING A MUST!- ALL THE BEST AND KTF FROM MATT

• Replies 22
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Dr Pickles

Have to agree with Matt.

Fantastic night that lived up to it's laid back, friendly reputation.

Brilliant, open minded crowd that were treated to sets that always surprised.

Numbers wise Bridgwater must have been close to capacity as it was heaving in there.

Thanks to Pete, Cathy, DJ's and all the people we met up with last night :ohmy:

Doc

Guest steph murphy

Hi Pete and Cathy,

Great night. Absolutely heaving in there. Its so nice to spend a Saturday night with people who love the same thing as you. We used to do a lot of Scooter Rallies and the feeling was the same during the eighties for me. They used to play alot of Northern then at Rallies. The feeling has gone for me now on rallies and we haven't been to one for ages, but I still get the buzz at Soul Nights.

Thanks once more.

Steph and Rob

:ohmy:

Fab fab fab night ! Just got in 5 minsutes ago ... oh that was a long journey :g: and an eventful one Could not shake this chirpy irish free spirit off at shude hill , didn't have a tooth in his head . I got his whole life story ah bless he even offered me half his meths and told me If I was ever lonely he would come keep warm . I tried to smile through it all but after 30 minutes of it waiting for a bus I decided to do a runner end and jump a tram instead :D plus he wouldn't let me have me hand back after shaking it several times.

Why me ?

But going back to last night .... was it all worth it ...YES !

Music was superb , a very welcoming receptive crowd , I can see why this place is popular , and it was so nice to see a few friends that I haven't seen in a while down there, that made it all the more special.

And I must thank Pete & Cathy who were so generous in giving me a large donation for BHF, really nice of you both .. and I didn't rattle a can.

Right I need a kip now... thats if my East European folk group next door give me some reprieve from their band practise. Right fight back Carmen !.... Madeline Peyroux me thinks :) she sooths me to slumber wink.gif yes lets have some bristly drum strokes :)

Later

just a quick note from me , I'll do a longer note later

brilliant d-j's ths time around and a great crowd who did the proper Northern Soul crowd thing of listening first before deciding to stay or walk off the dancefloor .

If you don't mind me saying, I'm proud of the regulars at ' Soul Nights @ Bridgwater'

just a quick note from me , I'll do a longer note later

brilliant d-j's ths time around and a great crowd who did the proper Northern Soul crowd thing of listening first before deciding to stay or walk off the dancefloor .

If you don't mind me saying, I'm proud of the regulars at ' Soul Nights @ Bridgwater'

DID YOU PLAY YOUR LATEST ARRIVALS whistling.gif

Guest The Driffter

too bloody right

they sounded fantastic

Real Soulies at Bridgwater

All set to go to Bridgwater saturday when my mate rang to say he couldnt get a sitter for his 27 year old son who has a mental age of about 11 and what would the chances of him bringing his son along be.

I need not of worried as the true soulies we have on the scene were great and when i explained to some of them about Adams problem they were great and after he had watched them dancing for a while he got up and spent the next 3 hours in his own world on the dance floor .

Thanks to the lady from South Wales who i spoke to who also kept an eye on Adam for us so we could also enjoy ourselves .

What a great night it was at Bridgwater again and what a great atmosphere in this venue all night .

Well done to everyone involved on saturday and thanks to the people on the scene for understanding Adams needs. From Jeff and Carys [somerset]

well done and a big thanx for another top nite out to everyone involved at bridgewater....

tunes by all the djs had me dancin....whether known or not , some great music...

sore feet and achey limbs...talc covered shoes and a big grin...me sunday 2am....must have been a good night

:D

Guest Angela Lawrence

well done and a big thanx for another top nite out to everyone involved at bridgewater....

tunes by all the djs had me dancin....whether known or not , some great music...

sore feet and achey limbs...talc covered shoes and a big grin...me sunday 2am....must have been a good night

:D

Guest Angela Lawrence

A few Piccis from Sat Nite!!

FEEL THE NEED!!

All I wanted to say was that a great night was had by all, musically it was brilliant, with lots of rarities I've never heard, as well as a few old favourites. A special hello to all the people who came from 'over the bridge' and as ever, the hospitality from Pete & Cathy was wonderful. Great to meet Pete's little brother Simon & his lovely wife Jean - how's your head Simon? :thumbup:

Angela x

Edited by Angela Lawrence

Another cracking night in Bridgewater

Tunes you dont hear very often and everyone having a good time

Keep it up looking forward to May

Jon

thanks John ,

appreciate your comments

didn't get chance for much of a chat on Sat night as I was running about all over the place - put it down to lack of focus rather than rudeness will you ?

see you soon

pete

Guest andrew bin

as i expected another great night at Bridgewater thanks to to the hard work of pete and cathy :thumbsup: and by the amount of people on the dance floor a lot of other people would agree, musically it was spot on all the dj's delivered but if some one hold a gun to my head and forced me to pick my favorites then i would have to say the stars of the night for me were nige brown and matt (why you don't see matts name on loads more flyers has always puzzled me, like nige he has a fantastic taste in music and is one of the nicest people you could ever wish to meet) :D , not forgetting pete and neil who were also on top form :P

i was up on the stage more than once to ask "whats this" or "what was that" (shame i can't remember any of them, the memory of a gold fish)

in a nut shell, great night, fantastic music and atmosphere, friendly crowd and first class hospitality.

well done pete and cathy may Bridgewater nights continue for a long time to come

and thanks to dr pickles and lou the rest of the weekend was also excellent and very relaxing :P (sorry for sleeping so much) :lol:biggrin.gif

hi pete + cathy

FANTASTIC night the place was jumping allnight the porthcawl gang danced to every dj set.

all the dj were brillant matt, nige, neil, +pete

for me matt played a great set, me and andrew bins thought his best tune was BLACK BOTTOM BIUES by KING COLMAN what a tune.

my legs were sore for days have not danced like that for a long time???

bridgwater is one of the best soul the UK.

ALL THE BEST NIGEL GRAHAM

ps the doorgirl are the best :lol:

Sorry this is so late as i said earlier i have a lot of time management problems this week!! :D

Anyway back to last Saturday!!

Id never been to one of Pete Lysters Do's for one reason or another all though we became friends afew years ago when my friend nige shaw moved down to the South West. Pete asked me many times if id like to "DO" Brigwater but for one reason oranother it never happened until last Saturday!!

Well my god ! What have i been missing!! This is a GREAT VENUE!! :)

Aparently this ISNT the original venue they have down sized a bit but believe me its PERFECT!!!

Me and Neil Rushden and ladies aarrived at the venue about 8-20 after trying to find the place !! The road was pitch black and me Tom Tom said id arrived bit we couldnt see a building !! anyway evenutally we found it!!

Id only been in the venue seconds to be informed my first set was in five minutes 8-30 thru 9 pm ! Being the pro iam whistling.gif i ordered a lager to be sent to the stage and pulled a few out of me playbox!!

I followed Matt who had already got people dancing so already he was a hard act to follow!!

Here are the offrings for me first set......

ARCADES -- THERES GOTTA TO BE A LOSER--- TRIAD

JIMMY "SOUL" CLARK -- IL BE YOUR CHAMPION-- SOUL HAWK

THE FANTASTICS - HIGH NOTE -- COPA

THE SHEPHARDS-- STUBBORN HEART --MIRWOOD Demo

DIANA ROSS -- COME ON AND SEE ME -- MOTOWN Unreleased

TOWER of POWER -- THIS TIME ITS REAL -- WARNER Bros

MAXINE BROWN -- LET ME GIVE YOU MY LOVING-- WAND Demo

OJAYS -- IN SO GLAD I FOUND YOU -- BELL

THE VOWS -- TELL ME --- VIP

SCOTT BROS ORCH. -- THEY ALL CAME BACK --- TODLIN TOWN

E RODNEY JONES -- R&B TIME PT1 -- TUFF Demo

GARNET MIMMS - LOOKING FOR YOU -- uk UNITED ARTISTS

Then it was over to Neil Ruston for his first Set,,,,then i think Pete did a bit,,, Then over to Matt for his Main Set of the night , Then i followed Matt with my main set , which wasnt easy as Matt had played a blinding set thowing some big hitters in also some unexpected things ,, magic stuff!!

Theres was me set from 10-35 thru 11- 30 ,,,,

STANLEY MITCHELL -- GET IT BABY -- DYNAMO Demo

JOHNNY PRAY --- CANT GET TOO MUCH LOVE -- SIDEWALK Demo

ISONICS -- SUGAR -- KAMMY

BOBBY VALENTIN--- USE IT BEFORE YOU LOSE IT -- FANIA

COMMANDS --HEY ITS LOVE --- BACKBEAT Demo

SPIDELS -- DREAM GIRL -- PROVIDENCE Demo

PAPA BEAR & the CUBS --- YOUR SO FINE -- SMS

THE VANGAURDS -- GOOD TIMES BAD TIMES ---LAMP

PARISIANS -- TWINKLE LITTLE STAR -- DEMON HOT

FABULOUS APOLLOS -- DETERMINATION-- VALTONE

LENNIE WILLIAMS -- I COULDNT FIND NOBODY -- FANTASY Demo

INSPIRATIONS -- YOUR WISH IS MY COMMAND -- MIDAS

CODY BLACK-- IM SLOWLY MOULDING -- KING

HAYES COTTON--- BLACK WINGS HAS MY ANGEL -- RESIST

DEAN PARISH -- DETERMINATION -- STATESIDE uk

RUFUS LUMLY -- IM STANDING -- STATESIDE uk

WILLIE KENDRICKS -- CHANGE YOU WAYS -- RCA DemO

MONTCLAIRS -- HEY YOU -- ARCH

KENNY WELLS -- ISNT IT JUST A SHAME -- NEW VOICE Demo

JOHNNY MAE MATHEWS -- I HAVE NO CHOICE-- BIG HIT

Neil followed me must say how much i enoyed the Sam & Dave unishued acetate USE ME i think it was called new on me really loved that piece!! :)

And then what can i say !! Mr Lyster came on and blew everyone out the water!! :D

I couldnt speak properly when he casually slipped the Executive Four on :D ,,,think i just growwwwwled something at him!! :D:thumbup:

All in all Brigwater was a class nite with the floor rammed all night well done guys hope ya invite me again,,,,,, as Carlolyn Crawford once sang " IL COME RUNNING"

Love & Soul

Nige B " Torchboy" XXXX

Edited by Torchboy

Yes have to say it again the music was a superb selection from all the Dj's , rather liked Petes first play to Bridgewater sound ( new aqusition) , also how good did Howard Tate sound coming from Neil . Was very impressed with Matts selection, first time I have heard Matt play .. Browny well I am biased on that one safe to say nice one Mate :rolleyes:

Me and Neil Rushden and ladies aarrived at the venue about 8-20 after trying to find the place !! The road was pitch black and me Tom Tom said id arrived bit we couldnt see a building !! anyway evenutally we found it!!

Know what you mean Nige - in future I'll look for the lay-by! Glad you had a good 'un.

Yes have to say it again the music was a superb selection from all the Dj's , rather liked Petes first play to Bridgewater sound ( new aqusition) , also how good did Howard Tate sound coming from Neil . Was very impressed with Matts selection, first time I have heard Matt play .. Browny well I am biased on that one safe to say nice one Mate wink.gif

Carms ,

That was The Steelers - ' Just beginning to love you ' . Quite a few didn't know it and asked about it . I haven't heard it played out in ages [ I mean years ] .

p x

Know what you mean Nige - in future I'll look for the lay-by! Glad you had a good 'un.

You be careful in lay-bys Jerry , they are not what they usd to be.... in a Penelope Keith voice :lamsey:

Funny story .... at the Hull soul club , left early cause for a change one was hungry ... slips into KFC at midnight and grabs a snack. We decide not to hang around the KFC cause a few dodgy types around so we drive off towards Hornsea , tuck bags in hand .

Pulls over in lay-by to eat ones supper ..... :thumbup: you have never seen anything like it , there was a car in front round the corner which we thought was a bit strange ... and then one comes up behind .deeeeeeeee da deeee da it was like close encounters of the third kind !

lights signals ...oooooooooooooh very dodgy , they were bloody dogers .... shit I said to Nige lets get out of here I don't share my Chicken fillet with anyone !

Funny now but very creepy at the time especially when a bleeeeerk walked past the car !

Sorry we missed you mate.