Best Of Maxine Brown Wand Years New Kent Cd

Maxine Brown - Best Of The Wand Years - CDKEND 312 - Classic, sophisticated New York City soul from this much loved and admired artist's 1960's heyday is the header on the back cover of this remarkable new CD from Ace/Kent, perhaps add awesome, superb, stunning, brilliant, fantastic, wonderful, great, perfection, outstanding, classy and we are somewhere near describing this twenty eight track compilation from Ady Croasdell, as with all Kent CD's all the boxes are ticked here, first class sound reproduction and quality, detailed notes and pretty much as good as soul get's from the sublime Maxine Brown, sure there have been previous CD's and albums from her via Kent but this package selects the very best of her vast output, all the classics are here from the evergreen 'One In A Million' (1966), 'Let Me (Give You My Lovin' (1966), 'One Step At A Time' (1965), the awesome 'It's Torture' Ady gives a blow by blow account of the day he discovered this now 100 Club and scene classic totally priceless reading, there is an Alt take of the other Maxine gem of that find 'I Want A Guarantee' her excellent version of 'Baby Cake's' and many other quality Wand 45, Album and unissued tracks, some fantastic photo's finish off this must have selection, I've said it before and I'll say it again when it comes to the reissue of our oh so special music Ady and Kent have the edge basically doing it with much love, passion and oh so much soul, all packages are put together with that to quote Melba Moore that 'Magic Touch' more like midas touch Ady bloody first class old bean.

1.ONE IN A MILLION

2.IT'S TORTURE

3.LET ME GIVE YOU MY LOVIN'

4.I WANT A GUARANTEE

5.YESTERDAY'S KISSES

6.WONDER WHAT MY BABY'S DOING TONIGHT

7.OH NO NOT MY BABY

8.LOVE THAT MAN

9.YOU'RE IN LOVE

10.GOTTA FIND A WAY

11.AM I FALLING IN LOVE

12.SHE'S GOT EVERYTHING

13.LITTLE GIRL LOST

14.BABY CAKES

15.THE SECRET OF LIVIN'

16.WHY DID I CHOOSE YOU

17.EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE

18.MISTY MORNING EYES

19.SINCE I FOUND YOU

20.WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR LOVE

21.ONE STEP AT A TIME

22.PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE

23.THAT'S ALL I NEED FROM YOU

24.ANYTHING FOR A LAUGH

25.LOSING MY TOUCH

26.OH LORD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO ME

27.IF I HAD KNOWN

28.IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT

Told you perfection and another top seller on the cards for Ady and Kent here no question, sounds brilliant, looks fantastic and needs your attention as soon as possible.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Maxine Brown - Best Of The Wand Years - CDKEND 312 - Classic, sophisticated New York City soul from this much loved and admired artist's 1960's heyday is the header on the back cover of this remarkable new CD from Ace/Kent, perhaps add awesome, superb, stunning, brilliant, fantastic, wonderful, great, perfection, outstanding, classy and we are somewhere near describing this twenty eight track compilation from Ady Croasdell, as with all Kent CD's all the boxes are ticked here, first class sound reproduction and quality, detailed notes and pretty much as good as soul get's from the sublime Maxine Brown, sure there have been previous CD's and albums from her via Kent but this package selects the very best of her vast output, all the classics are here from the evergreen 'One In A Million' (1966), 'Let Me (Give You My Lovin' (1966), 'One Step At A Time' (1965), the awesome 'It's Torture' Ady gives a blow by blow account of the day he discovered this now 100 Club and scene classic totally priceless reading, there is an Alt take of the other Maxine gem of that find 'I Want A Guarantee' her excellent version of 'Baby Cake's' and many other quality Wand 45, Album and unissued tracks, some fantastic photo's finish off this must have selection, I've said it before and I'll say it again when it comes to the reissue of our oh so special music Ady and Kent have the edge basically doing it with much love, passion and oh so much soul, all packages are put together with that to quote Melba Moore that 'Magic Touch' more like midas touch Ady bloody first class old bean.

1.ONE IN A MILLION

2.IT'S TORTURE

4.I WANT A GUARANTEE

5.YESTERDAY'S KISSES

7.OH NO NOT MY BABY

8.LOVE THAT MAN

9.YOU'RE IN LOVE

10.GOTTA FIND A WAY

11.AM I FALLING IN LOVE

12.SHE'S GOT EVERYTHING

13.LITTLE GIRL LOST

14.BABY CAKES

15.THE SECRET OF LIVIN'

16.WHY DID I CHOOSE YOU

17.EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE

18.MISTY MORNING EYES

19.SINCE I FOUND YOU

21.ONE STEP AT A TIME

24.ANYTHING FOR A LAUGH

25.LOSING MY TOUCH

27.IF I HAD KNOWN

28.IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT

Told you perfection and another top seller on the cards for Ady and Kent here no question, sounds brilliant, looks fantastic and needs your attention as soon as possible.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

You can hear the applause from Randy for this creditable work .......

Well done - AGAIN - Ady :ohmy:

Malc Burton

Social source share

1.ONE IN A MILLION

2.IT'S TORTURE

4.I WANT A GUARANTEE

5.YESTERDAY'S KISSES

7.OH NO NOT MY BABY

8.LOVE THAT MAN

9.YOU'RE IN LOVE

10.GOTTA FIND A WAY

11.AM I FALLING IN LOVE

12.SHE'S GOT EVERYTHING

13.LITTLE GIRL LOST

14.BABY CAKES

15.THE SECRET OF LIVIN'

16.WHY DID I CHOOSE YOU

17.EVERYBODY NEEDS LOVE

18.MISTY MORNING EYES

19.SINCE I FOUND YOU

21.ONE STEP AT A TIME

24.ANYTHING FOR A LAUGH

25.LOSING MY TOUCH

27.IF I HAD KNOWN

28.IT'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT

Regards - Mark Bicknell

just love Maxine Brown but track 10 does it for me................incredible

Social source share

Is 'Let Me Give You My Lovin' the original 45 take or the alternative that was released on a Kent Vinyl lp many moons ago?

Ady, Tony??

At last it's the proper Wand 45, and it's funny that all other reissues since copied our audio and made exactly the same mistake. This is the first time the right take has been on CD.

I Want A Guarantee is purposefully a quite different equally good vocal take to the original that we put out as we thought it deserved an airing. Why Did I Choose You is a very good dancer that has never been heard before.

Social source share

I agree and the other Van McCoy non 45 LP track Wonder What My baby's Doing Tonight is utterly brilliant too, i speculate as to why it was never a 45 in the notes and Maxine concurs to an extent.

Again fine job Ady simply 'One In A Million' mate, you can't beat flipping burgers to a bit of Maxine....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

At last it's the proper Wand 45, and it's funny that all other reissues since copied our audio and made exactly the same mistake. This is the first time the right take has been on CD.

I Want A Guarantee is purposefully a quite different equally good vocal take to the original that we put out as we thought it deserved an airing. Why Did I Choose You is a very good dancer that has never been heard before.

So Ady where did Why did I choose you fit in amongst all the other material....its obviously a new one on me.....and you know me, I will be buying this cd for this track alone....but at this very late hour I am curious indeed

Social source share

So Ady where did Why did I choose you fit in amongst all the other material....its obviously a new one on me.....and you know me, I will be buying this cd for this track alone....but at this very late hour I am curious indeed

It's just a great unreleased dancer that we never put out before; partly because I was hoping we might find a version with strings or extra instruments, but it does have a great brass section and may have been the finished version after all. It's defo Wand but we don't know who wrote or produced it.

Social source share

I Want A Guarantee is purposefully a quite different equally good vocal take to the original that we put out as we thought it deserved an airing.

I'll be buying this CD, but wondered what the deal with this track is... how many versions were there?

Social source share

I agree and the other Van McCoy non 45 LP track Wonder What My baby's Doing Tonight is utterly brilliant too, i speculate as to why it was never a 45 in the notes and Maxine concurs to an extent.

Gotta find a way came out on a Portugeese 4 track EP

Never understood why it was never a US release on 45 though.............. totally amazing

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert