Darnall Horticultural Institute

Darnall Horticultural Institute Friday 27th feb 2009.

Like many aspects of horticulture a newly seeded Northern and Rare soul event needs time and appropriate conditions to take root, grow and bear fruit.

I hope this event is given the time to do this, musically it was a night akin to a bowl of exotic and sumptuous fruit.

John Moffatt playing perennials such as Hesitations - Wait a Minute, Nolan Porter - I Caught You In Awe and the Compliments - She's Having The Time Of Her Life.

The second resident and co-promoter Gary Smith continued this feast of sweet soul music with such delights as Bobby Reed, I'll Find A Way, the delectable Richie Havens version of Spyders' I Can't Take It Any More and Carla Hardy - I think Of You. Two hours of almost perfect soul music to start the evening, those who arrived later and missed these sets, be warned, next time get there early for some real soul self satisfaction.

Guest Dave Raistrick played a veritable montage filling an hour with tributes to Clifton Hall, Samantha's and all things Sheffield with a very strong across-the-board flavouring. Some of my favourites from this set were: This Magic Night - If You And I Had Never Met, Geoff Smith - A Hidden Secret and Al Hudson - Spreading Love.

Paul Seward started hi hour with nailed-on floor fillers including The Darnells, T.J. Williams, Continental 4, Jan Jones etc. We missed John's last set which is a shame because for me his first hour was the set of the night.

For a first night of a new event it was certainly half-full and not half-empty. Two small 'niggles' which may just be personal to me but John and Gary didn't use the mic and I for one heard some tunes I would have loved to had announced because some were fresh to my ears, and the second one, I think the sound equipment needs a bit of attention, it was adequate but with tunes like those played one would prefer more than adequate.

Nurture this event, I think it will grow and grow, we'll certainly make the trip over from Skegness again such was the draw of the top draw tunes played this night.

The next event is on Friday 27th march and the legend Derek Greenhoff will be guesting.

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

Edited by coops
  • Replies 7
  • Views 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Really enjoyed this night. Great selections by all DJs. Nice to hear so much "fresh" sounding northern from both the old and new ends of the spectrum. All the DJs were spot on.

I agree to a certain extent about a few more microphone announcements being in order, but in my opinion the earliest set is usually played to a near empty room, and the DJ feels like he's talking to himself and it doesnt really add to that part of the evening. Perhaps posting up playlists on here after the event would be best? (generally more reliable anyway).

I would recommend this night to anyone whose currently looking for something a little more adventurous on the music policy side, but doesnt want to move into the ultra-rare-plays-only territory. I also think the inclusion of 7Ts crossover is a good thing for that reason.

KTF

Lofty

Really enjoyed this night. Great selections by all DJs. Nice to hear so much "fresh" sounding northern from both the old and new ends of the spectrum. All the DJs were spot on.

I agree to a certain extent about a few more microphone announcements being in order, but in my opinion the earliest set is usually played to a near empty room, and the DJ feels like he's talking to himself and it doesnt really add to that part of the evening. Perhaps posting up playlists on here after the event would be best? (generally more reliable anyway).

I would recommend this night to anyone whose currently looking for something a little more adventurous on the music policy side, but doesnt want to move into the ultra-rare-plays-only territory. I also think the inclusion of 7Ts crossover is a good thing for that reason.

KTF

Lofty

yes lofty, a couple of play lists here would be very, very nice for me and you but we must also remember, not all the paying punters go on SS. wink.gif

Darnall Horticultural Institute Friday 27th feb 2009.

Like many aspects of horticulture a newly seeded Northern and Rare soul event needs time and appropriate conditions to take root, grow and bear fruit.

I hope this event is given the time to do this, musically it was a night akin to a bowl of exotic and sumptuous fruit.

John Moffatt playing perennials such as Hesitations - Wait a Minute, Nolan Porter - I Caught You In Awe and the Compliments - She's Having The Time Of Her Life.

The second resident and co-promoter Gary Smith continued this feast of sweet soul music with such delights as Bobby Reed, I'll Find A Way, the delectable Richie Havens version of Spyders' I Can't Take It Any More and Carla Hardy - I think Of You. Two hours of almost perfect soul music to start the evening, those who arrived later and missed these sets, be warned, next time get there early for some real soul self satisfaction.

Guest Dave Raistrick played a veritable montage filling an hour with tributes to Clifton Hall, Samantha's and all things Sheffield with a very strong across-the-board flavouring. Some of my favourites from this set were: This Magic Night - If You And I Had Never Met, Geoff Smith - A Hidden Secret and Al Hudson - Spreading Love.

Paul Seward started hi hour with nailed-on floor fillers including The Darnells, T.J. Williams, Continental 4, Jan Jones etc. We missed John's last set which is a shame because for me his first hour was the set of the night.

For a first night of a new event it was certainly half-full and not half-empty. Two small 'niggles' which may just be personal to me but John and Gary didn't use the mic and I for one heard some tunes I would have loved to had announced because some were fresh to my ears, and the second one, I think the sound equipment needs a bit of attention, it was adequate but with tunes like those played one would prefer more than adequate.

Nurture this event, I think it will grow and grow, we'll certainly make the trip over from Skegness again such was the draw of the top draw tunes played this night.

The next event is on Friday 27th march and the legend Derek Greenhoff will be guesting.

images on https://ournorthernsouls.org

The 2 hour journey from Skegness to Sheffield and the 2 hours back was made somewhat easier knowing that this night was set to a theme of new, upfront, crossovery type sounds from all era's.

I hadn't played a spot in Sheffield for quite some time and it was great to be greeted by friends old (since the early/mid 70s) and new some of which attend the "Skeggy Weekenders" on a regular basis.

My spot consisted of mainly partly forgotten Samantha's, Clifton Hall sounds and others and it was super to see such a good dancefloor reaction to most of the stuff played like.....Randy Brown, We The People, Jeff Smith, Larry Houston, Major Harris, Monique etc...

I'm certainly looking forward to a return visit at some time in the future and l urge anyone into this type of Soul night to give it a bash and support Gary, Paul and John in this new and refreshing venture "It's well worth it"

Best Wishes to ALL..... Dave Raistrick.

Edited by Dave Raistrick
Guest randy

The 2 hour journey from Skegness to Sheffield and the 2 hours back was made somewhat easier knowing that this night was set to a theme of new, upfront, crossovery type sounds from all era's.

I hadn't played a spot in Sheffield for quite some time and it was great to be greeted by friends old (since the early/mid 70s) and new some of which attend the "Skeggy Weekenders" on a regular basis.

My spot consisted of mainly partly forgotten Samantha's, Clifton Hall sounds and others and it was super to see such a good dancefloor reaction to most of the stuff played like.....Randy Brown, We The People, Jeff Smith, Larry Houston, Major Harris, Monique etc...

I'm certainly looking forward to a return visit at some time in the future and l urge anyone into this type of Soul night to give it a bash and support Gary, Paul and John in this new and refreshing venture "It's well worth it"

Best Wishes to ALL..... Dave Raistrick.

Thanks to every one who came along to the first soul night at the Hort'i Club Sheffield and also a big thanks to Dave Raistrick and the guys comming all the way over from Skeggy to be there. Dave played a great acroos the board spot

It was a very encouraging start to this new upfront soul night good dance floor action from the word go. We had a very knowledgeable crowd in looking to hear some quality tunes.

Here are some of the Tunes I played during my spot. Maybe not in the currect order

Dynells - Call on Me - Atco

Corey Blake - How Can I Go On - Capitol

Ojays - To Prove I Love You - TSOP

Deligates of Soul - I'll Come Running Back - Up Look

Marcia Hines -You Gotta Let Go -Wizard 45

Van McCoy - Back Stabbers - H&L Italian

Tramps -Stop and Think - PIR German

Choice of Colour - You Love - APT

21st Century - Shadow of a Memory - DOT

Vince Montana- I Love Music - Atlantic

Gene Chandler - After the Laughter- Checker

TJ Williams - Baby I need You - Josie

Collins & Collins - Top of the Stairs - A&M

Jan Jones - Independant Woman - Daywood

Flame & King - Ho Happy Day - NYCS

Tangeers - Let My Heart and Soul - Okeh

Fantastic Puzzles - Come Back - Right On

Grover Washington - That Hurts - Vanguard

and one or two I can't remember playing, having had several pints by this time

Next Months do is on Friday 27th March with top local jock Ian Millington

All the best PAUL "Randy " SEWARD

Guest Brett F

Well i really enjoyed the night, i'm more toward the x/over 70's but i more than enjoyed myself at all the dj's, good to meet up again with Dave Raistrick and talk about the old visits to his fantastic record shop in Skeggy, special mention goes out to Gary who played the fantastic Havens version of the Spyder Turner favourite, this really sounded so good out loud, hell i even had a dance or two, yes numbers were low, but i'm sure with the varied playlist of the night (ie including all the genres of rare soul) this place can really grow.

I'll be back..........

ps next time guys make sure they have Guinness on tap... wink.gif

Guest Brett F

By the way using......Darnall Horticultural Institute with no use of the word "SOUL". Is a master stroke......... wink.gif

Sort of thing i would use, half expect next month some plant biochemistry lecturers to walk in ..........

Edited by Brett F