Bournemouth Opera House 28/2/09

Guest chick

Guest chick

Well done Shaun..... This was by far the absolute best event SOS at the Opera House yet.

We arrived early at around 8.30 and there were people up and dancing already, in fact I don't recall seeing an empty dance floor once all night long. By 10 the place was buzzing and people just seemed to continue pouring into the place until gone 1am. It was great to see people jostling for space on the dance floor. The huge amount of work and belief Shaun has poured into this began to bear fruit last night I truely believe. The dj's all played sets that went down brilliantly with the crowd - something for everyone, even at 4am when they were begging Moldie to play just one more track. DJ of the night for me in the main room was Hitsville Chalky - not only some fantastic tunes but such an entertainer on stage as well. Lovely to see a dj enjoying his music so passionately. (and also an expert at looking after abandoned handbags :ohmy: thanks )

I was really excited about the anniversary as for the first time a second room was opened featuring the Groove Junkies... now I know that modern is not everyones bag but John, Moldie and co showed me last night just how much it is mine. I danced so much my feet and legs hurt today and I am still buzzing from the electric atmosphere they created. Every time a new tune came on, even more hairs stood up on the back of my neck. Fantastic doesn't even come close to scratching the surface for me.... absolute class in my opinion. Just a shame that not everyone realised they were there (even though it was clearly advertised). I'm now on countdown to May 16th.

John..... thanks for the CD... it went straight in the player on the way home and I can guarantee it won't be being changed for a long time. Helped me to relive parts of the night again this morning.

Well done again Shaun

• Replies 51
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

what a cracking night, fabulous venue great music and a great crowd.. danced til our feet hurt.. 350+ in the door and most of them out on the floor. great sets by chalky, jon buck, chilli, warren and co.really enjoyed our night thanks shaun for another top nite.. roll on the next one. :) all those who didnt go really missed out.

We got to the chill out bar too early, and were leaving just as Shuan turned up with the Van emblazened in hi-vis posters advertising the event. Indeed there were posters all over Bournemouth and I' guess much further afield, which shows the effort Shaun is putting into this event.

The four of us then went for a rather nice curry, ensuring Hitsville Chalky was ready for what was a longish night ahead. We arrived at the venue just before the doors opened and it was nice to see a queue of Soulies outside the venue. Through the doors and the venue is jaw droppingly good, absolutely magnificent, and with a nice dancefloor too. Anyone who hasn't been, treat yourself in May to a short stay and a nite out here.

Music policy was totally across the board, plenty of 60's classics and quite a few 70's pieces as well from Chilly - great lad. The 60's stuff is my bag, so I could not wait for my mate to hit the decks. He was his usual superb self, full of energy and as ever playing a great choice of sounds. Wigan Brian played some cracking Motown tunes, so did Chalky in his first set, the second one was full on Detroit Northern.

Good crowd in who were up for dancing, looked like 400 ish, so fair play to Shaun for building this up into a cracking Soul Nite. Good people in attendance, great to see our old friends Sean and Helen, nice to meet new friends Chilli, Alfie and more. Very enjoyable weekend, thanks Guys.

Best, Dave and Jaki.

Wow, second time djing at the Opera House and it just seems to get better each time. Great to dj in such a fantastic venue with such an up-for-it crowd. Big thanks to Shaun for putting on such a do and it's great when the plan works out. Bournmouth seems to be the souliest place in the UK at the moment. Superb.

Cheers Warren

Guest RussianJo

:ohmy: ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NIGHT......Thanks to all the dj´s the music was outstanding. The Opera House really has got the SOUL FACTOR.

Looking forward to May........ Thanks for a top night Shaun....see you both soon.

Guest Dave Mortimore

thumbup.gif ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NIGHT......Thanks to all the dj´s the music was outstanding. The Opera House really has got the SOUL FACTOR.

Looking forward to May........ Thanks for a top night Shaun....see you both soon.

. It was really good to see you and Russ last night.! We have to agree. It was an absolutely fantastic night, thanks to the music and a crowd that created a really special atmosphere befitting of such a huge ballroom that is The Opera House.

. It was so good to see so many familiar faces under one roof and what was also pleasing was to re-aquaint with people returning from further afield, which was proof positive that this magnificent venue is well worth the journey.

. As you would hope for an anniversary, all the D.J.s did a grand job in keeping the dancefloor turning over with something within each of the sets to keep everyone happy. I had handed a couple of requests over to Brian Clarke with an understanding of anonymity. So, thanks for the play Brian, although I can't say you were subtle in your methods of indirectly alluding to who it was from. But knowing you, I should have expected it.

. The last 12 months in Bournemouth have been rather special, thanks to the vision and efforts of promoters hosting an increasing number of venues for a growing number of devotees, which in turn has given the local soul scene such a vibrance. Of these promoters, Shaun has been the most ambitious with events at Bumbles, The Empire Club and The Opera House. It is these considerable efforts and bravery from our host that has been so notable and very much appreciated by all that know him.

. I don't think anybody thought that it was possible to assemble the nigh-on 400 numbers at such a venue in Bournemouth. But you've done it Shaun and we're all indebted to you for providing so much entertainment and pleasure for so many.

. Thanks again Shaun (and Elaine) . . Dave & Jan Mortimore

Edited by Dave Mortimore

I believe it's the 17th of May mate. A lovely time of year for a trip to Bournemouth

Had a Great Time, in a Fantastic Venue - Thanks Shaun it was A Pleasaure - Good to See Vince Ayres from Bristol & a Host of other Old Faces - Good on Ya Bournemouth - Good on Ya Shaun

Jon Buck

The 17th May is A Sunday

Edited by jonbuck

Top venue, we travelled from cornwall for the modern room, have little interest in northern these days

Modern room was great, set away from the seating area, which i like.

Musically there was a bit of everything, plenty of 70s, some 80s 90s, some disco to, missed anything bang up to date as we kept popping downstairs to check on our plymouth freinds, but i understand new music was played so looking forward to seeing the play lists, and what we missed :lol:

Couple of double ups, but as i liked them i didn't mind too much , Phillis Hyman being one and Collins and Collins the other wink.gif just a bit of a shame to waste an opportunity to slip in something else guys !

We are both looking forward to the next one, many thanks to all involved

Jo and Tony

Looe

Guest jbedders

Absolutey crackin'. Top boy shaun. Good to see so many people there. Great to have the mix as well, danced to a remix of the bottle upstairs and then danced to the original downstairs!

jamie.

Guest RussianJo

. It was really good to see you and Russ last night.! We have to agree. It was an absolutely fantastic night, thanks to the music and a crowd that created a really special atmosphere befitting of such a huge ballroom that is The Opera House.

. It was so good to see so many familiar faces under one roof and what was also pleasing was to re-aquaint with people returning from further afield, which was proof positive that this magnificent venue is well worth the journey.

. As you would hope for an anniversary, all the D.J.s did a grand job in keeping the dancefloor turning over with something within each of the sets to keep everyone happy. I had handed a couple of requests over to Brian Clarke with an understanding of anonymity. So, thanks for the play Brian, although I can't say you were subtle in your methods of indirectly alluding to who it was from. But knowing you, I should have expected it.

. The last 12 months in Bournemouth have been rather special, thanks to the vision and efforts of promoters hosting an increasing number of venues for a growing number of devotees, which in turn has given the local soul scene such a vibrance. Of these promoters, Shaun has been the most ambitious with events at Bumbles, The Empire Club and The Opera House. It is these considerable efforts and bravery from our host that has been so notable and very much appreciated by all that know him.

. I don't think anybody thought that it was possible to assemble the nigh-on 400 numbers at such a venue in Bournemouth. But you've done it Shaun and we're all indebted to you for providing so much entertainment and pleasure for so many.

. Thanks again Shaun (and Elaine) . . Dave & Jan Mortimore

Well done Dave.....your so much better at the reviews than me. It was great to see you both too. Until the next time... take care

Guest chilly

thank you to all your kind words it was a great night

big thanks to all the djs for there good work and big thanks again to sean for staying with it

cant wait to see you all at the next one

Well done Dave.....your so much better at the reviews than me. It was great to see you both too. Until the next time... take care

Hi, you guys WHAT A NIGHT , a BIG BIG THANK YOU SHAUN , for lettimg me D.J. at what must be the ultimate venue in the country , if you haven`t been ,make a date in your diary for the 16th of may ,it really is the superb ,

Thanks to all of you for your kind words after i had finished my sets ,and to all of you who danced to my tunes , what a buzz you get from seeing you soulies enjoying yourselves AND a full dancefloor, i was humbled. Sorry Dave , the page in my dictionary that explains "Subtle"was missing so i guessed , must have got it wrong tee! hee! Another Big thank you goes out the other D.J.s Fantastic sets all of you , didn`t hear a bad tune all , night .Only had a short spell in the modern room unfortunatley, but the place was buzzing ,a time when i wish i could have been in two places at the same time . Hope to see you All at BISLEY this saturday

Wigan Brian :ohmy:

Guest GrooveJunkies

Top venue, we travelled from cornwall for the modern room, have little interest in northern these days

Musically there was a bit of everything, plenty of 70s, some 80s 90s, some disco to, missed anything bang up to date as we kept popping downstairs to check on our plymouth freinds, but i understand new music was played so looking forward to seeing the play lists, and what we missed :(

Couple of double ups, but as i liked them i didn't mind too much , Phillis Hyman being one and Collins and Collins the other :g: just a bit of a shame to waste an opportunity to slip in something else guys !

Jo and Tony

Looe

Hi Jo & Tony

first off thanks for making the trip all the way from Cornwall for the Modern/Decades of Soul Room :) ,

it was unfortunate that the two tracks got repeated in molly's set , but he was playing in both room so impossible to keep track of everything that was being played

just two tracks repeated in five and a half hours is not bad going wink.gif hope it didn't spoil night to much :ohmy: I think you will find the first time Phillis Hyman was played was off 7" British issue second time US issue and the Collins and Collins first time Demo second time issue :lol::D:yes:

on the hole I think everybody had a great time and enjoyed the night wink.gif

Look forward to seeing you at the next one wink.gif

did you get hold of a GJ CD ?..

All the best take care

John (GJ)

Guest Dave Mortimore

Hi, you guys WHAT A NIGHT , a BIG BIG THANK YOU SHAUN , for lettimg me D.J. at what must be the ultimate venue in the country , if you haven`t been ,make a date in your diary for the 16th of may ,it really is the superb ,

Thanks to all of you for your kind words after i had finished my sets ,and to all of you who danced to my tunes , what a buzz you get from seeing you soulies enjoying yourselves AND a full dancefloor, i was humbled. Sorry Dave , the page in my dictionary that explains "Subtle"was missing so i guessed , must have got it wrong tee! hee! Another Big thank you goes out the other D.J.s Fantastic sets all of you , didn`t hear a bad tune all , night .Only had a short spell in the modern room unfortunatley, but the place was buzzing ,a time when i wish i could have been in two places at the same time . Hope to see you All at BISLEY this saturday

Wigan Brian :ohmy:

. You might have been humbled. But I think it was plain for everyone to see that you were having 'The Life of Brian' up there behind the decks during your second set.

. There was only one problem though. As big as that dancefloor was, you were packing them in and so much so, that yours truly couldn't find the room to swing a cat. So although I did manage to dance during that hectic period, eventually I was reluctantly forced off to become a bye-stander, when I really wanted to be out on the floor.

. Like you have said, the music was spot on and later I managed to cut some space and enjoy the freedom of the superb dancefloor. By around 3.15 p.m. I was truly knackered and taking a breather. Then Moldie came on and true to form, he pulled out a string of numbers that just couldn't be ignored. Hence, those of us that were still out there just kept on dancing and my legs really began to suffer. Paul Bedford had a laugh when Johnny Sayles - I can't get enough came up and jokingly encouraged me to keep going, which we did. But boy! Did my body suffer the next morning and with those aches and pain, I just knew that we'd had one hell of a night.

. I keep getting flashbacks of the different characters and of the little conversations here and there, that made it a truly memorable occasion.

. We'll be going to Bournemouth Railway Club on Saturday. So maybe we'll catch up with you some other time . . . Dave

. P.S. How was the great escape at Villa Park, last Sunday?

Edited by Dave Mortimore

Just want to say a big thank to Sean and Helen for recommending myself to Shaun to DJ at The Opera house and to Shaun for letting me enjoy myself Thank you , Thanks for all the kind coments after both my sets also it was nice seeing old and making new friends . What a cracking top night of Soul Music , Great Spots by all DJs , The venue is really awesome and a must visit to any Notherner , top sound system and fabulous wooden dance floor . Hoping to Make a return when Dave Rimmer is down there in May :ohmy: Thanks to Burnley Dave and Jaki for the support and the great weekend we had . Once again Thanks to all at Bournemouth and keep up the good work Shaun see ya soon .

Edited by Hitsville Chalky

Hi Jo & Tony

first off thanks for making the trip all the way from Cornwall for the Modern/Decades of Soul Room :) ,

it was unfortunate that the two tracks got repeated in molly's set , but he was playing in both room so impossible to keep track of everything that was being played

just two tracks repeated in five and a half hours is not bad going wink.gif hope it didn't spoil night to much :lol: I think you will find the first time Phillis Hyman was played was off 7" British issue second time US issue and the Collins and Collins first time Demo second time issue :D:yes::g:

on the hole I think everybody had a great time and enjoyed the night wink.gif

Look forward to seeing you at the next one wink.gif

All the best take care

John (GJ)

Yes i was given a GJ cd, thanks

I danced all night, think i was first on the floor, and didn't leave until about 2.30am, my legs were shot by then :(

We will be up for the next one, wasn't complaining about double ups, understand fully how it happens, its been part of the northern scene for as long as i can remember :ohmy: just an observation

Many thanks

Jo

Guest souldjer 1

wow.one of the best venues ive ever been to.meet some friends old and new(big jason from newcastle,what a nice gentle giant,hope we see you somewhere on the soul map again my friend.god bless you)

well organised and a very enthusiastic dj set by all.well done.we danced all night JOB DONE.

plymouth -bournemouth is a killer drive(the distance is small but roads are a killer)that wont stop us next time,we will fly up.

superb.

deano n yvette.

Edited by souldjer 1

Good evening soulies... thumbsup.gif

Bloody Fantastic...a big pat on the back sean...well done...packed on sat... all the dj's played top sets...something for everyone...just what the doctor ordered...the floor was busy from start to finish...i had to leave early though as i had some work to do in the morning...wanted to stay till the end...nevermind...had a top night...looking forward to the next one roll on the 16th...more so as i will be spinning some tunes that night...

good to see everyone..nice to meet new ppl...(hitsville chalky & co)

cheers chilli for playing the hati liittle tune...gr8

catch up soon ppl...

alfie

Edited by alfie00soul
Guest GrooveJunkies

Play list opera house 28th Feb 2009

Groove Junkies decades of Soul/Modern Room

Early doors set and DD With Jason..............

Demis Roussos ~ L.O.V.E (got a hold on me)

Nina Simone ~ TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS (remix) cdr

Invisible Man's Band ~ "REALLY WANNA SEE YOU"

Great Lakes Orchestra ~ "THIS IS THE TIME FOR LOVING"

Dynamic Superiors ~ "ONE NIGHTER"

Majik ~ "BACK IN YOUR ARMS"

David Ruffin "RODE BY THE PLACE"

Bloodstone ~ "SAVE ME"

Keni Burke ~ "LET SOMEBODY LOVE YOU"

Bobby Thurston ~ "JUST ASK ME"

Terry Callier ~ " DON'T WANT TO SEE MYSELF"

MAIN SET

Kenny Thomas ~ "Crazy would" (Request)

Driza Bone ~ "PRESSURE"

Incognito ~ "EVERYDAY"

India ~ "RUNAWAY"

Bloodfire ~ "THE BOTTLE" (remix)

Lenny Williams ~ "GOTTA LOTTA LUV"

Mario Biondi ~ "THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE" (JAZZ REMIX)

Kirk Franklin ~ "SEPTEMBER"

Sean Oliver ~ "YOU AND ME"

Marvin Gaye ~ "LET'S GET IT ON" (remix)

Scott K vs. ~ "I LOVE MUSIC"

The playlist is somewhere round what i remeber may of missed a few ............ wink.gif

Good evening soulies... :g:

Bloody Fantastic...a big pat on the back sean...well done...packed on sat... all the dj's played top sets...something for everyone...just what the doctor ordered...the floor was busy from start to finish...i had to leave early though as i had some work to do in the morning...wanted to stay till the end...nevermind...had a top night...looking forward to the next one roll on the 16th...more so as i will be spinning some tunes that night...

catch up soon ppl...

alfie

Nice meeting you too , and yes your right about Hattie Littles track he is the only other person apart from myself giving it a spin . see you in May .

Guest GrooveJunkies

Yes i was given a GJ cd, thanks

I danced all night, think i was first on the floor, and didn't leave until about 2.30am, my legs were shot by then :wicked:

We will be up for the next one, wasn't complaining about double ups, understand fully how it happens, its been part of the northern scene for as long as i can remember :g: just an observation

Many thanks

Jo

you dancers did us proud :thumbup: you made it a great night for us :thumbup: getting feedback from the dance floor makes it easy for us :D

Guest FREEBIRD

Well done Shaun..... This was by far the absolute best event SOS at the Opera House yet.

We arrived early at around 8.30 and there were people up and dancing already, in fact I don't recall seeing an empty dance floor once all night long. By 10 the place was buzzing and people just seemed to continue pouring into the place until gone 1am. It was great to see people jostling for space on the dance floor. The huge amount of work and belief Shaun has poured into this began to bear fruit last night I truely believe. The dj's all played sets that went down brilliantly with the crowd - something for everyone, even at 4am when they were begging Moldie to play just one more track. DJ of the night for me in the main room was Hitsville Chalky - not only some fantastic tunes but such an entertainer on stage as well. Lovely to see a dj enjoying his music so passionately. (and also an expert at looking after abandoned handbags :g: thanks )

I was really excited about the anniversary as for the first time a second room was opened featuring the Groove Junkies... now I know that modern is not everyones bag but John, Moldie and co showed me last night just how much it is mine. I danced so much my feet and legs hurt today and I am still buzzing from the electric atmosphere they created. Every time a new tune came on, even more hairs stood up on the back of my neck. Fantastic doesn't even come close to scratching the surface for me.... absolute class in my opinion. Just a shame that not everyone realised they were there (even though it was clearly advertised). I'm now on countdown to May 16th.

John..... thanks for the CD... it went straight in the player on the way home and I can guarantee it won't be being changed for a long time. Helped me to relive parts of the night again this morning.

Well done again Shaun

Sorry for the delay in this reveiw, but my keyboard broke, when I threw it down the hall way( bloody wire free crap)..

Anyway, I can only agree with what others have said, it was a brilliant night, and enjoyed by all ?

The "Opera House" has realy gone from strenght to strenght, and lets hope it carries on that way..

Big thanks go to all the punters who made it to Bournemouth. without you there wouldnt be a night.. Cheers..

Djs,( Main Room)Jon Buck, Warren, Wigan Brian, Hitsville Chalkie, Molly And of course "CHILLI".. Wow.. Some of the best sets that ive heard in a long time..

Decades Of Soul/Modern room.. Wasnt sure where I was going with this when I asked John if he was up for it, But am so glad I did.. Its great having "The Groove Junkies" on board..

Many thanks for the Cd too.. "Briliant"

So big thanks go to everybody, weather it be the freinds that put flyers out, to the Djs that play the tunes.. I couldnt do in without you all.. Cheers .......Shaun..

Ps We are going to introduce a membership card system.. this helps with getting my Insurance costs down ect.. If you can email me your full names and adresses(they will not be passed on) I will send the cards out when ready..

If you dont have one you will have to get someone to sign you in as a guest, if we make it in to allnighter you can`t come in..

shauntrotman@btinternet.com

Guest FREEBIRD

We arrived early at around 8.30 and there were people up and dancing already, in fact I don't recall seeing an empty dance floor once all night long. By 10 the place was buzzing and people just seemed to continue pouring into the place until gone 1am. It was great to see people jostling for space on the dance floor. The huge amount of work and belief Shaun has poured into this began to bear fruit last night I truely believe. The dj's all played sets that went down brilliantly with the crowd - something for everyone, even at 4am when they were begging Moldie to play just one more track. DJ of the night for me in the main room was Hitsville Chalky - not only some fantastic tunes but such an entertainer on stage as well. Lovely to see a dj enjoying his music so passionately. (and also an expert at looking after abandoned handbags :D thanks )

Well done again Shaun

Cheers Ton.. Great review, better Than I could do... :g:

Guest FREEBIRD

what a cracking night, fabulous venue great music and a great crowd.. danced til our feet hurt.. 350+ in the door and most of them out on the floor. great sets by chalky, jon buck, chilli, warren and co.really enjoyed our night thanks shaun for another top nite.. roll on the next one. :g: all those who didnt go really missed out.

Thank Mate.. Cheers for picking Elaine up for me ( did she make you late too..)

Guest FREEBIRD

We got to the chill out bar too early, and were leaving just as Shuan turned up with the Van emblazened in hi-vis posters advertising the event. Indeed there were posters all over Bournemouth and I' guess much further afield, which shows the effort Shaun is putting into this event.

The four of us then went for a rather nice curry, ensuring Hitsville Chalky was ready for what was a longish night ahead. We arrived at the venue just before the doors opened and it was nice to see a queue of Soulies outside the venue. Through the doors and the venue is jaw droppingly good, absolutely magnificent, and with a nice dancefloor too. Anyone who hasn't been, treat yourself in May to a short stay and a nite out here.

Music policy was totally across the board, plenty of 60's classics and quite a few 70's pieces as well from Chilly - great lad. The 60's stuff is my bag, so I could not wait for my mate to hit the decks. He was his usual superb self, full of energy and as ever playing a great choice of sounds. Wigan Brian played some cracking Motown tunes, so did Chalky in his first set, the second one was full on Detroit Northern.

Good crowd in who were up for dancing, looked like 400 ish, so fair play to Shaun for building this up into a cracking Soul Nite. Good people in attendance, great to see our old friends Sean and Helen, nice to meet new friends Chilli, Alfie and more. Very enjoyable weekend, thanks Guys.

Best, Dave and Jaki.

Your face Said it all Dave.. Glad you all enjoyed it.... See you soon..

Guest FREEBIRD

Wow, second time djing at the Opera House and it just seems to get better each time. Great to dj in such a fantastic venue with such an up-for-it crowd. Big thanks to Shaun for putting on such a do and it's great when the plan works out. Bournmouth seems to be the souliest place in the UK at the moment. Superb.

Cheers Warren

Cheers Warren :g: , Great having you back at the Opera House again.. Hopefuly wont be the last..

Guest GrooveJunkies

SOS OPERA HOUSE BOURNEMOUTH 1ST ANNIVERSARYOpera House Boscombe- 28TH February 2009

What a night. The event is only a year old and it really is going from strength to strength by offering a choice of two rooms of soul from both ends of the spectrum. There's something for everyone. I have played at The Opera House before, in the Northern Room and the building still manages to amaze me. It really is remarkable. Downstairs is perfect as a Northern Room, it's very spacious with a large wooden dance floor, classy interior and high ceilings which are fantastic for the acoustics. The Modern Room was situated upstairs. It's extremely modern, a good size with comfortable surroundings.

Last night was special, not only because of the 1st anniversary but also because of the two rooms. Shaun invited the Groove Junkies to front the Modern Room and each Groove Junkie DJ is, as always, given a completely free hand to play exactly as she/he feels fit which equates to a large cross section of music. I popped downstairs occasionally throughout the evening and I was pleased to see that the night was in full swing with the dance floor being very busy and some great choons being played. Shaun's approach to this event is admirable as he has taken on such a large project, he's sticking with it, and as a result the SOS nighters are growing in popularity with the numbers being at an all time high last night.

THE GROOVE JUNKIES DECADES OF SOUL/ MODERN ROOM:

The Soul Bus left Kent at 1pm, with Jason a couple of hours ahead of us. We arrived at our B&B at 5ish. Moldie met us at the B&B, just in time for dinner! We unloaded our things, freshened up and Moldie and I went down to the Cellar Bar for the warm up session. It was great to catch up with old faces and meet some new people. Around 7.45pm we all got the ok to head down to The Opera House to set up. After some quick fiddling with the equipment- we realised that no one had brought the headphones. PANIC. Luckily, Molly had a set in his car- phew. We were off and running. The venue looked fantastic, with everything just so. We started off playing a few 70's crossover tunes whilst we all got familiar with the equipment and adjusted the sound to get it just right. First up was me (Johnny H) and Jason. We double decked for half hour and played some easy soulful grooves. Next up was Rebecca. She played a nice across the board set that everyone seemed to like as the dance floor quickly filled up as the room became busier. She ended her set on Kirk Franklin that everyone went mad for, next up was Moldie. Moldie played some lovely cross over 70's tunes, some classics and others soon to be classics with a few funky modern stompers thrown into the mix. By this time the room was buzzing and everyone was up for a good time. Then there was Jason who funked up the evening with some great 80's mixes with brilliant base lines which got the floor rocking. Our guest DJ Molly didn't fail to impress, by this time there must have been about 80/90 people in the room. He kept the dancers on the floor with everyone loving what he played. Next was me, the crowd were excitable and in the mood to keep dancing. I started off with well known modern dancer tracks, not letting them rest by keeping the tempo high. Some people danced all night long, I really don't know how they kept going. I finished off the last half hour with Moldie playing a broad section of choons.

Considering this was The Modern/ Decades of Soul Room's first night at SOS, we feel the night was a success; all Dj's done an outstanding job by offering the crowd a wide selection of music. Big thanks to the dancers and everyone that attended the SOS nighter and supported The Groove Junkie's first outing at Bournemouth. Roll on the 16th May!!

Edited by GrooveJunkies
Guest FREEBIRD

Musically there was a bit of everything, plenty of 70s, some 80s 90s, some disco to, missed anything bang up to date as we kept popping downstairs to check on our plymouth freinds, but i understand new music was played so looking forward to seeing the play lists, and what we missed :thumbup:

Couple of double ups, but as i liked them i didn't mind too much , Phillis Hyman being one and Collins and Collins the other :D just a bit of a shame to waste an opportunity to slip in something else guys !

Jo and Tony

Looe

Thanks for making the effort guys.. Glad you enjoyed it... :g:

Guest FREEBIRD

:g: ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC NIGHT......Thanks to all the dj´s the music was outstanding. The Opera House really has got the SOUL FACTOR.

Hi jo,

Glad you enjoyed it.. :D

Guest FREEBIRD

Absolutey crackin'. Top boy shaun. Good to see so many people there. Great to have the mix as well, danced to a remix of the bottle upstairs and then danced to the original downstairs!

jamie.

Cheers!! :g:

Guest FREEBIRD

thank you to all your kind words it was a great night

big thanks to all the djs for there good work and big thanks again to sean for staying with it

cant wait to see you all at the next one

Evening Numpty.... Thank you...... Great set too

Guest FREEBIRD

Wigan Brian :g:

Cheers Brian, Il post your play list up later.. Thanks for taking the time to write it up and give it to me....... ok Iv sort of lost it :D

Guest FREEBIRD

Hi Jo & Tony

first off thanks for making the trip all the way from Cornwall for the Modern/Decades of Soul Room :ohmy: ,

just two tracks repeated in five and a half hours is not bad going :ohmy: hope it didn't spoil night to much :D I think you will find the first time Phillis Hyman was played was off 7" British issue second time US issue and the Collins and Collins first time Demo second time issue :thumbup::thumbup::wicked:

on the hole I think everybody had a great time and enjoyed the night :huh:

Look forward to seeing you at the next one :lol:

All the best take care

John (GJ)

Cheers John, realy is great having all the Groove Junkies on board, but you`ve also been a great help keeping all the threads going on all the forums too.. Ta!! :g:

Guest FREEBIRD

. You might have been humbled. But I think it was plain for everyone to see that you were having 'The Life of Brian' up there behind the decks during your second set.

. There was only one problem though. As big as that dancefloor was, you were packing them in and so much so, that yours truly couldn't find the room to swing a cat. So although I did manage to dance during that hectic period, eventually I was reluctantly forced off to become a bye-stander, when I really wanted to be out on the floor.

. Like you have said, the music was spot on and later I managed to cut some space and enjoy the freedom of the superb dancefloor. By around 3.15 p.m. I was truly knackered and taking a breather. Then Moldie came on and true to form, he pulled out a string of numbers that just couldn't be ignored. Hence, those of us that were still out there just kept on dancing and my legs really began to suffer. Paul Bedford had a laugh when Johnny Sayles - I can't get enough came up and jokingly encouraged me to keep going, which we did. But boy! Did my body suffer the next morning and with those aches and pain, I just knew that we'd had one hell of a night.

. I keep getting flashbacks of the different characters and of the little conversations here and there, that made it a truly memorable occasion.

. We'll be going to Bournemouth Railway Club on Saturday. So maybe we'll catch up with you some other time . . . Dave

. P.S. How was the great escape at Villa Park, last Sunday?

Cod liver oil should help Dave..

Guest FREEBIRD

Just want to say a big thank to Sean and Helen for recommending myself to Shaun to DJ at The Opera house and to Shaun for letting me enjoy myself Thank you , Thanks for all the kind coments after both my sets also it was nice seeing old and making new friends . What a cracking top night of Soul Music , Great Spots by all DJs , The venue is really awesome and a must visit to any Notherner , top sound system and fabulous wooden dance floor . Hoping to Make a return when Dave Rimmer is down there in May :g: Thanks to Burnley Dave and Jaki for the support and the great weekend we had . Once again Thanks to all at Bournemouth and keep up the good work Shaun see ya soon .

Chalky, it was good to finaly get you down to the Opera house on saturday.. Ive had nothing but compliments about your stage show and enthusiasm..

Should be a road trip up your way in the near future.. :D:thumbup:

Guest FREEBIRD

wow.one of the best venues ive ever been to.meet some friends old and new(big jason from newcastle,what a nice gentle giant,hope we see you somewhere on the soul map again my friend.god bless you)

well organised and a very enthusiastic dj set by all.well done.we danced all night JOB DONE.

plymouth -bournemouth is a killer drive(the distance is small but roads are a killer)that wont stop us next time,we will fly up.

superb.

deano n yvette.

:g:

:D Glad the jurney was worth it, If you do fly, let me know and il get you picked up from the airport....

Guest FREEBIRD

Good evening soulies... :g:

catch up soon ppl...

alfie

Our no 1 fan :D:thumbup: .... Roll on May 16th...

Guest SteveC

Just a quick thank you to Sean for what turned out to be a most enjoyable night for me and my party. Second time I've been and second time I've danced all night such is the top standard of the venue and the dance floor. I go knowing that I'm gonna hear mostly oldies and because I go with that attitude I enjoy myself. If anything else was played it wouldn't be as successful as it is so Sean is simply feeding the demand. God forbid should the crowd embrace the uptempo semi-unknowns too as that would make it the most complete venue in the country - I'll wake up now shall I ;-)

The modern room was something else and although I only ventured up there the once to give shit to my disco colleagues I'd like to see what it would be like with a good crowd of modern fans in there - awesome.

Well done to Sean and team :thumbup:

PS - Loved that energy drink they were serving at the bar...what was it called again???? :thumbup:

Guest FREEBIRD

Just a quick thank you to Sean for what turned out to be a most enjoyable night for me and my party. Second time I've been and second time I've danced all night such is the top standard of the venue and the dance floor. I go knowing that I'm gonna hear mostly oldies and because I go with that attitude I enjoy myself. If anything else was played it wouldn't be as successful as it is so Sean is simply feeding the demand. God forbid should the crowd embrace the uptempo semi-unknowns too as that would make it the most complete venue in the country - I'll wake up now shall I ;-)

The modern room was something else and although I only ventured up there the once to give shit to my disco colleagues I'd like to see what it would be like with a good crowd of modern fans in there - awesome.

Well done to Sean and team :thumbup:

PS - Loved that energy drink they were serving at the bar...what was it called again???? :thumbup:

Cheers Steve, and thanks for puting the PHOTO`S IN THE GALLERY... So you`l be going again to get some more "pussie" Eh? :thumbup:

Guest SteveC

Cheers Steve, and thanks for puting the PHOTO`S IN THE GALLERY... So you`l be going again to get some more "pussie" Eh? :thumbup:

Tink you'll find it was called Pussy Sean...and yes it appealed to our child like SOH :yes:

Chalky, it was good to finaly get you down to the Opera house on saturday.. Ive had nothing but compliments about your stage show and enthusiasm..

Should be a road trip up your way in the near future.. :thumbup::yes:

Hiya Shaun , it was good to finally DJ There . for me the date couldn't come quick enough Knowing I was booked last year in a Fantastic awesome venue with great soulies , keep up the good work , see you soon .

We arrived early at around 8.30 and there were people up and dancing already, in fact I don't recall seeing an empty dance floor once all night long. By 10 the place was buzzing and people just seemed to continue pouring into the place until gone 1am. It was great to see people jostling for space on the dance floor. The huge amount of work and belief Shaun has poured into this began to bear fruit last night I truely believe. The dj's all played sets that went down brilliantly with the crowd - something for everyone, even at 4am when they were begging Moldie to play just one more track. DJ of the night for me in the main room was Hitsville Chalky - not only some fantastic tunes but such an entertainer on stage as well. Lovely to see a dj enjoying his music so passionately. (and also an expert at looking after abandoned handbags :thumbup: thanks )

Well done again Shaun

Thank you so much , glad you enjoyed my set . hope to see ya in May .

Thank Mate.. Cheers for picking Elaine up for me ( did she make you late too..)
no worries mate.. Elaine had to do her nails and they polished off that bottle of wine you took round before we left.. hope luke ok. boxing.gif ? see you saturday. :lol:

Source Advert