started replying but went off track

I started to reply to something on here but went off track so started a new topic.

This is my own opinion. I’m not trying to have a go at any one.

There’s a lot of talk on this site, about playing CD’s or reissue’s and downloading.

If any Northern DJ? wants to play that style in a way it’s up to them, but we all know they will never get any real spots any where, that’s the way the scene works, it’s hard enough when you only have Originals in your box. Have you noticed when you DJ, the label spotters that keep walking past the decks, (unless the decks are on a stage) and they have a little look and a nod, to check every thing is ok, I’ve shared decks with people who play reissue’s, while I’m playing my originals, and for the following hour/45 mins they try to convince you, that they are happy with what they play, and it all sounds the same. (Why tell me, i don't have to explain what I play.)

It doesn’t sound the same I found out the hard way, I was at a scooter rally (in the northern room) playing the Metros. Since I found my baby. On Joker… A friend of mine walked in the back of the room, walked straight up to me with out looking at the record and said this is s*!t it sounds terrible do your self a favour chuck that in the bin and bye the Original.. I did. (Buy the original that is, I put the joker copy on ebay)

Because it was a mate I knew he was saying it to me for my own good. When your in your front room, reissues sound ok when it’s full volume at 200watts it sounds pants.

My words to any one who wants to dj is if you can’t afford the big sounds get the cheaper stuff but buy it on original, There are so many good cheap floor fillers out there, if you put a record on that there are only 3 known copies of, people will know.

Check out records that have gone out of Fashion, because they was over played 15 years ago, people loved them then, before the dj’s at the time over played them, they will love them again. Don’t follow the big boy’s, if your playing reissue’s or CD’s it just won’t work…..

Morning everyone MORDEN TONIGHT, and Baby Boy will be getting a spin, so will my new Dusty Springfield SILLY SILLY FOOL…(bought this week for £3.50 inc p&p)

As i said my own opinion.. sorry if i offend anyone, it's not intended

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Kolla

Mischief - totally agree with what you've said... and for once, you haven't offended me LOL! sad.gif )

Have a great time in Morden tonight and bid the Escape a fond farewell from us. AL and I only managed to make it the once but thought it was a great venue - and ultimately a clubtastic resident dj line-up of course. Are you guys considering other venues - or calling it a day?

Oh BTW... Two small words on label spotters - Pepper Spray! It works every time.

Social source share

My words to any one who wants to dj is if you can't afford the big sounds get the cheaper stuff but buy it on original, There are so many good cheap floor fillers out there,

Too true. And more satisfaction from playing a £10 original than a Goldmine or whatever. Love me cheapie sounds!

I have only ever DJ'd with originals and it is my own policy to only play originals and the SSM will only have DJ's that will play originals. However, I do dj for a few people who themselves play boots/reissues/acetates and whereas this used to annoy me, now I think, well its their do and if thats what they want to do, so be it. As somone said on here in the past day or so, if it wasn't for these promoters then there wouldn't be soul nites to go to anyway.

Of course when they play a boot/reissue/acetate of something another DJ has got the original of in their box. Well thats another story...

Social source share

I agree with the comments being made.

It's one of the reasons why on another post I asked for suggestions for cheap original records. As for the do I was talking about on yet another post, it's really only a bit of fun for my mates and I. Although saying that if anybody was at a loose end and there was nothing better to do, you're more than welcome (if and when I manage to organise it!).

As for The Metros I'll admit if I play it, it would be on Joker (or, don't laugh, CD). Unfortunately I just don't have the money to spend £££'s on original records, but if anybody wants to make donations? (Ooops, don't want to start that argument off again, LOL) The wife and 3 kids have most of me wages!

The problem is I just get frustrated when I read stuff like on John Manships site, 3 years ago this was £10 now top bid £150+ (Deep Dark Secret anybody?). I get annoyed that I never knew about these tunes when it was only a tenner!

Since joining this forum I'm going to change my buying habits. I'm going to look more for cheap originals and not so many re-issues.

As for DJ's at do's, I'd be pissed off if I'd paid £10+ to get in and they were playing the majority of tracks off CD's, and not originals. I won't say all as I don't want to offend anybody, who plays the occaisional track off CD. Also Pot & Kettle spring to mind!

Anyway I'm off as I've got to get ready to go out tonight, Once Upon A Time In Wigan at Greenwich. Can't wait!

Social source share

Guest micksmith

fred hughes-baby boy great oldie. got mine from moondogs-east ham in the early 70s. just a bit of info-the 1st copy of lennis guess came from there.

Social source share

The problem is I just get frustrated when I read stuff like on John Manships site, 3 years ago this was £10 now top bid £150+ (Deep Dark Secret anybody?).  I get annoyed that I never knew about these tunes when it was only a tenner!

Anyway I'm off as I've got to get ready to go out tonight, Once Upon A Time In Wigan at Greenwich.  Can't wait!

People paying £10 etc.. our day will come.

Just buy them cheapies now, and them forgotten oldies.. (it works for me) And they will go up in price when the become popular again..

We are at Greenwich tomorrow.. should be good

Social source share

AGREE WITH MISCHIEF ABOUT BOOTS SOUNDING BAD, WELL ALOT OF THEM ANYWAY. DJING A FEW WEEKS AGO GOT ASKED FOR L RANDELL 'STRANGER..' COULDNT FIND IT IN MY BOX SO ANOTHER DJ OFFERED ME HIS TO PLAY FOR THE REQUEST - IT WAS ON THE COLUMBIA SP LABEL I THINK AND WASNT A PATCH ON THE CBS COPY OF MINE. ANYWAY IT IS TRUE THAT THERE ARE PLENTY OF CHEAPIES/REASONABLY PRICED STUFF OUT THERE ON ORIGINALS TO BUY. SOME GREAT CHEAPISH STUFF ON VERVE FOR EXAMPLE - SOMETHING ABOUT THAT LABEL THAT NEARLY EVERY RECORD I HAVE ON VERVE SOUNDS BRILLIANT EVEN AT THE HIGHEST OF VOLUMES. WELL DONE VERVE!! (SUSAN RAFEY 'HURT SO BAD' SOUNDS AWESOME).

Social source share

well, nuff said,

I do agree with you mischief there is so much happening in the scene nowadays to really bother about what source the sound comes from unless you are dancing and feel the difference. But then again it doesn't always have to end in a slanging match about labels,cd's etc.

H.

Social source share

I got Fred Hughes - Baby Boy on Brunswick about 6-7 years ago for about a fiver, if my memory serves me right.

As for Juanita Williams, never heard it!  Do you wanna sell it for a tenner? Or can I get a bootleg copy? LOL ;-)

It should only cost a tenner or not too much more for the original any way ;-)

Social source share

I was at a scooter rally (in the northern room) playing the Metros. Since I found my baby. On Joker...

oh .......... but what a label, Joker ...... one of my faves slong with Boot

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!