Idle Few - People Thats Why - Blue Book

:thumbup: A FIRST CLASS MECCA TUNE DARK BLUE ALL THE WAY, THIS USED TO BE IN MY BOX FOR YEARS TILL I SOLD UP MY US STUFF TO MICK EARLY 9ts WOULD LOVE IT BACK NOW I SEE BOOTS ALL OVER THE PLACE BUT AS MUCH ASI LOVE IT THE BOOT TO ME IS WORTHLESS AND THE ONLY SPIN IT WOULD GET IS OF SEDGLY BEACON. A CLASS TUNE IN MY TOP 250 ALL TIME RECORDS :yes: .DAVE KIL
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Never seen that before...but isn't the other one West Coast anyway?

No, the dark blue one (with the raised-backwards-S-in-a-circle matrix stamp) was pressed in New York by Shelley Products. Same plant that pressed Shrine 45s etc.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

thats the other design :thumbup: not seem many of them around

i had the normal blue design i got for 40 £ from ebay and took me ages to move it in trades for about 75 in the end

great tune

I had both of the blue designs but I also had a white one with the reverse 'S' tamp too. For years I thought that was the original. A local supplier (choosing my words carefully) had a limited quantity of dubious white copis, so when the stamped white one turned up I just assumed it was 'the one' then got the dark blue one, then the royal blue 'paper' demo.

Plenty of choice then - almost as many originals as "Tainted love"!

Regards,

RB

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I also had a white one with the reverse 'S' stamp too. For years I thought that was the original. A local supplier (choosing my words carefully) had a limited quantity of dubious white copies, so when the stamped white one turned up I just assumed it was 'the one'...

Regards,

RB

My copy has a white label on styrene, bought C.1976 I think. (I'm assuming it's OK as I got it from Mick Flello who bought them back from the States, along with mint copies of Connie Clark, Epitome of Sound demos etc.)

BUT what's the difference between a white label original and this "dubious" white labeled bootleg I'm only just hearing about?? :lol:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

My copy has a white label on styrene, bought C.1976 I think. (I'm assuming it's OK as I got it from Mick Flello who bought them back from the States, along with mint copies of Connie Clark, Epitome of Sound demos etc.)

BUT what's the difference between a white label original and this "dubious" white labeled bootleg I'm only just hearing about?? :lol:

Mentioned in previous post,original as a backward S in a circle.

Social source share

The white boot has quite thick vinyl (not styrene) and a dip towards the middle - same as Dave Newman, Anderson bros 1st press etc. They were passed off as originals - I paid £8 for it which was still a lot of money in 76 sad.gif

Social source share

The white boots are the same as the early Anderson brothers and several other including Timothy Wilson "I must love you", Dave Newman "Make up your mind", Sandra Phillips "World without sunshine" wdj plus some others. Coarse vinyl, with a ridge around the middle of the label. The Anderson brothers were even sold on the GSF sleeve. They are a different batch entirely to the clever Soussan boots with PB on the run out. Very common around Nottingham once upon a time. With the exception of Tim Wilson, which was black on pale blue, everything done was black on white to keep it simple I expect. They weren't particularly numerous in the grand scheme of things.

Pete S is right, normally sold for about £8 a copy. Some friends got burnt because they believed the dealer rather than me, hey ho!

RB.

Edited by Rich B
Social source share

Guest mel brat

:lol:hypo.gif:)All this info is yet another reason to hate bootlegs! So it's the Soussan bootleg that's closest to mine then? I assume mine's OK, as I said - but you never know... and were they "common around Nottingham" because of Selectadisc I wonder??

Yes, £8 certainly was a fair bit to get ripped off for in 1976. (May the perpetrators burn in hell!) :rolleyes::thumbup::D

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

:rolleyes::thumbsup::DAll this info is yet another reason to hate bootlegs! So it's the Soussan bootleg that's closest to mine then? I assume mine's OK, as I said - but you never know... and were they "common around Nottingham" because of Selectadisc I wonder??

Yes, £8 certainly was a fair bit to get ripped off for in 1976. (May the perpetrators burn in hell!) :wicked::rolleyes::D

I agree with your sentiments entirely MB, but on this occasion Selecta weren't the culprits! May be someone on this forum feels like entering the confessional? I hear confession is good for the soul...

best,

RB

Social source share

• 8 years later...
17 minutes ago, coalvillefletch said:

Anyone got any pics of the original demo?  Does it still have the dip towards the middle of the label?  Seems like another minefield on this one!!

Cheers.

The original promo copy is styrene with stamped S in the run out

Social source share

3 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

Just remembered while looking at these photo's, P.J. Proby did a version on his 1967 LP 'Enigma'. 

I once played that out at 45 RPM covered up as Pinky & Perky. Great dancer, but the vocals were a bit off!

Edited by Paul r
Social source share

31 minutes ago, coalvillefletch said:

Pete. Looks like there's a little dip towards the middle in the pic posted above and that's a styrene copy. 

Cheers. 

The boot demo has a really pronounced ridge and dip

idle-few-people-thats-why-blue-book-2.jp

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!