Voices From The Shadows ***list 399***

VOICES FROM THE SHADOWS

PO BOX 2, Patrington

HULL HU12 0YU UK

tel : 01964 631457

e-mail: voices@btconnect.com

***List 399***

RECORDs OF THE LIST

Betty Wright "To Love & Be Loved" (Alston) £5 Wonderful chunk of pulsating 1975 Miami mid-to-uptempo but with a hint of the production being left in a 'Hi' cask for a few months to mature. Miami-meets-Memphis? How good is that? The usual Miami suspects lurk behind the controls (Reid, Clarke) and if your moving away from the 'straight down the middle' soul, this one is a smokin' gem.

Four Tops "Sad Hearts" (Casablanca) £5 Whatever era they recorded in, they still came up trumps. Never mind this is early 80s, it's midtempo magic. The sax splattered intro, the first 'cry in the throat' vocals from Levi...vibes...chimes...

Sheldon Turner "Loving You Is The Next Best Thing To Heaven" (Babylon) £5 Classic Patrick Adams masterminded killer 1974 Philly ballad.

Clarence Williams "I Know It's True" / "I Know About Love" (Tina) £15 Storming 60s dancer; deep soul flip. VERY FEW!

Modern Soul 7's

Bill Summers with Leo Miller "Don't fade Away" (Prestige) £15 Polished and very classy 1977 midtempo.

Spinners "Love Connection" (Atlantic demo) £3.50 1981

Kwick "I Choose You" (Emi) £5 1981

Inner life "Caught Up (In A One Night Love Affair)' (Prelude) £5 1979 Patrick Adams.

Front Page Winners

FP272 Street People "I Wanna Spend My Whole Life With You" (Vigor) £8 Storming 70s uptempo with monster production.

FP273 Rudy Love & Love Family "Housewife Blues" (Calla) £5 Blues this ain't. A cookin' 1975 mid ballad that threatens to blister and boil over amidst chakka-chakka wah-wahs and swirling strings (we're talkin' Tony Sylvester / Bert deCoteaux here). There's more than a hint of Womack-meets-Willie Hutch about this and I'm struggling to think of the last time I got something this good for myself.

FP274 Donnie Elbert "This Feeling Of Losing You" (All Platinum) £5 Now I'm not trying to detract from Elberts evident talent, both as a writer, producer and a unique singer, but to give you a more fitting description, IF Al Green had cut Crossover, it would have sounded like this, tight and punchy and hinting of Memphis despite the New Jersey pedigree of the label. Great gear-box crashing vocal pyrotechnics only underline what a talent he was. The more midtempo simmering flip, "Can't Stand These Lonely Nights" only underlines his genius. Like Al Green, the voice flickers and fires with a range most singers can only dream of.

Coffee break...I held off the Four Tops as a Record Of The List since Levi died. It didn't seem right listing it until now. There's some great footage from the 60s of The Four Tops singing "Just Ask The Lonely" on You Tube (ignore the daft bints in the background who can't dance...)....you may find yourself with goosebumps, a lump in the throat and misty eyes, and knowing undoubedtly, their like we will never see again....and this lists "Mother, the smelling salts!" award goes to Thelma Houston & Jerry Butler "And You've Got Me". Oh yes.

Collectors' 45s.

CS226 Johnny Moore "Can't Live Without Your Love" / "I'm Only Half A Man" (Jadan) £150

CS227 Johnny Moore "It's Just My Way Of Loving You" / "Walk Like A Man" (Date) £30

CS228 Johnny Moore "What More Can I Do" (Larry O) £25

CS229 George H Franklin "Someone Will Take Over Where You Leave Off" / Gone For Good" (Faces) £100

Simmering midpace 1977 angst on vinyl. Grit gargling singer - rising tension galore; fabulous deep flip.

CS230 Clyde McPhatter "I'll Belong To You" (Decca) £20 Atmospheric 60s soul ballad.

CS231 Derek Martin "How Can I Get Away" (Vibration demo) £10 s/b. very soulful 70s midpacer.

CS232 Otis Leavill "Gotta Right To Cry" (Lucky) £80 vg++. Near half price - Curtis penned Chicago midtempo magic.

CS233 Nancy Wilson "Got It Together" (Capitol) £15 Powerful but ignored 60s dancer, very strong.

CS234 Tiny Powell "My Time After While" / "Take Me With You" (Wax) £5 vg. £20 r'n'b - deep flip.

CS235 Spinners "The Winter Of Our Love" (Atlantic demo) £3.50 s/b.

Biting Modern midtempo from 1981 and slightly funkier than their normal Philly stuff.

CS236 Spinners "Now That You're Mine Again" (Atlantic demo) £3.50 s/b. Usual top drawer balladry. 1980.

CS237 Spinners "City Full Of Memories" (Atlantic demo) £3.50 s/b. Strong 1982 modern Soul.

CS238 Spinners "Living A Little, Laughing A little" (Atlantic demo) £3.50 Classic Philly '74 ballad - Bell / Don Renaldo etc.

CS239 Conspiracy "Evermore" (Ren Cen) £6 Rippling and classy Detroit group mid ballad from 1982.

CS240 Donnie Elbert "Little Piece Of Leather" / " Sweet Baby" (All Platinum) £5 Forgotten clumping uptempo gem on t'flip.

CS241 Sam Waymon "You Can Count On Me" / " I Love You" (Ninandy) £15 Punchy Crossover / Northern - real nice beat ballad flip.

CS242 Sam Waymon -as above Ninandy demo - £8 vg+ / vg - plays well above grade here.

CS245 Gloria Walker "Talking About My Baby" / Chevelles "The Gallop" (Flaming Arrow) £10

CS246 Minnie Ripperton "Inside My Love" (Epic) £5 Trippin' 1975 mid.

CS248 Que Sunrise "Friday The 13th" (Just Sunshine) £6 Fabulous deep voced lead 1973 group ballad slayer.

CS249 Billy Frazier "Oh Baby (Look At Me)" / " Is That right" (Music World demo) £25 Great singer. Torrid Northern plus fabulous moody midtempo beat ballad flip.

CS250 Curtis Mayfield "Can't Say Nuthin" (Curtom demo) £3.50 s/b. Funky 1973.

CS251 Z.Z. Hill "It Ain't No Use" (Mankind) £3.50

CS252 Ray Crumley "She's My Rock" (Arlarm) £3.50

CS253 William Bell "I'll Be Home" / " All For The Love Of A Woman" (Stax) £3.50

CS254 Donny Hathaway & June Conquest "Just Another Reason" / " I Thank You" (Curtom) £3.50 vg++.

CS255 Johnny Dean "Sitting Around My Table" (Magic 7) £5

80s indie midpace ballad magic - absolutely brilliant 1983 Memphis.

CS256 Veda Brown "Short Stopping" / " I Can See Every Woman's Man But Mine" (Stax) £5

CS257 Dee Dee Warwick "She Didn't Know (She Kept On Talking)" (Atco) £5

Sublime chunk of early 70s soul - sang like the tears are about 5 seconds away......

CS258 Ann Peebles "You Got To Feed The Fire" (Hi) £5 At her midpace best****

70s Modern Soul 45s.

789 Betty Wright "Show Your Girl" (Alston) £5 Throbbing mid to up Miami 1976.

792 Willie Fisher "You Said Call Me" (Tigress) £30 Another old Thorne gem - really needs dusting off again this one.

793 Will Hatcher "What Is Best For Me Is Better For You" / "Who Am I Without You" (Wand) £15 Sublime & Soulful '75 Detroit bubbling mid to uptempo magic; the mid ballad flip is a stone killer.

794 Will Hatcher - as above but vg+ £5. Few.

795 Ozone "Mighty-Mighty" (Motown WD) £5 s/b. From 1981 but fits perfectly with 70s, boy, this sounds hot now - powerful & uplifting uptempo with surging backing.

796 Grover Mitchell "What Hurts" (Vanguard demo) £100 s/b.

798 Robert Ramsey "Like It Stands" (Kent demo) £10

Gritty 'air punchingly' soulful Crossover midpacer.

800 Ron Walton "Always Be The One" (UK Gull) £15 Subtle, soulful 1975, nice.

802 Rose Royce "Ooh Boy" (Whitfield) £8 My friend is currently scouring the world for 'Paula Durante' "I'll Never Let You Go". Good luck to him I say - as it doesn't exist. It's this, kindly played down the phone by me whilst grinning like a Cheshire cat. How good is this as Crossover Soul - perfect. You won't believe it. A bit like him the next time I ring with more jocular false vinyl leads. Swirling strings, tempestous rising beat, breaks in tempo and 'vulnerable' femme vocals. It's a gem. An absolute gem.

803 Cheryl Lynn "I've Got Faith In You" (Columbia demo) £5 s/b Surging '79 up.

Collector's LPs

JERRY BUTLER &

THELMA HOUSTON

"Thelma & Jerry" (Motown) £10

The weekender season is around the corner, and whilst you'll hear some expesive ditties that certain dj's will have thrown a fortune at, my money is on you not hearing anything as good as "And You've Got Me" from this album. A head-turning, swivelling midtempo killer from 1977. A string swept tension addled backing sways into play and if you know Ty Karim & George Griffin "Keep On Doin' - this will blow your socks off! (Note; dancing without socks probably contravines some Health & Safety regulations*). Great vocal trade offs - the business end of Modern Soul. OR if you're into mid to uptempo movers, there's "Only The Beginning" - usual great vocals from these 2 of course.

Or the steadily building "It's A Lifetime Thing" a swirling winner I raved over last list on 45. Suffice to say, this album is so strong you may find tracks you prefer to my selections. I can't review it all!

The Miracles "The Power Of Music" (Tamla) £5 1976.

Congress Alley "Congress Alley" (Avco) £25 Hard-to-find 70s Philly-style soul - hear tracks on YouTube!

Christopher Williams "Changes" (MCA) £10 sealed - Modern Soul.

DEEP & SOUTHERN SOUL 45s

"Mother, the suicide watch if you don't mind"

DS271 Jr. Jackson "L-O-V-E Spells Hurt" (Raintree) £5 Throbbing 70s with great gritty vocals - upbeat in a kinda Miami style. Frequently seen for £10 / £15.

DS272 William Bell "Everybody Loves A Winner" / "You're Such A Sweet Thing" (Stax) £3.50

DS274 Little Joe Washington "Someone Loves Me" / "(I Want To Tell You) She's Mine" (Federal) £25 Agony outburst alert!! Lived in, kicked around vocals' r'n'b flip.

DS275 Johnny Sayles "I'm Just What She Needs" (Chess dj) £15 Fantastic!

DS276 Passions "Baby, I Do" / "Man About Town" (Backbeat demo) £20 All 'down-on-his' knees' lead and humming Hammond B3 organ; Northern Soul flip.

DS277 Bobby Patterson "Take Time To Know The Truth" / " It Takes Two To Do Wrong" (Paula) £5 vg++ near M-.

DS278 Bobby Patterson "The Trial Of Mary Maguire" / "The Knock Out Power Of Love" (Jetstar) £10 One to pierce your very soul; real thinkin' man's pot boiler. Vastly superior Crossover / Northern flip.

DS279 Charles Perry "It Doesn't Matter Anymore" / " I've Got A Feeling Called The Blues" (Melic demo) £40 Fabulous 60s deep with sought after r'n'b flip (fetches £75+). Deep is vg+ but plays great; "Feeling" has the odd mark - or 'M-.' at niters.

DS280 Linda Perry "I Need Someone" (HELPP) £25 Very rare 1st 'local' issue.

DS281 Linda Perry "I Need Someone" (Mainstream) £5 If you like Doris Duke etc***

DS282 Thomas East & William Stuckey"Everyday Will Be Like A Holiday"(Artx) £5

Recommended 70s Soul 45s for the discerning ear.

LTD "We Both Deserve Each Other's Love" (A & M demo) £3.00 s/b

Great expressive 1978 philly ballad - Jeffrey Osborne on lead and Bobby Martin producing. Class.

Keith Barrow "Free To Be Me" (Columbia) £8 Wistful '78 midpacer.

Bobby Womack "I Don't Want To Be Hurt By Love Again" / "Stop On By" (UA) £3.50

1974 mid ballad master class plus perfect slightly funky Modern.

That's all this time - hope you find something of interest.

Edited by Soul Discovery
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 1
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source