• Replies 12
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Brian Ellis

Absolutely staggering!

What is a little more worrying, however, is the fact that the seller makes no mention of the fact that this is a bootleg. I know it's 'buyer beware', but I suspect that the purchaser believes this to be an original as he has paid not far off what its true market value was (i.e. somewhere around the going rate before the record started packing dancefloors and before prices started going silly).

He probably thinks he's grabbed a bargain, but I'm sure someone will very soon put a dampner on things for him.

I really think that there should have been a much more open and honest description of the record - might it have been under-described hoping to 'snare' someone carried away with the craving to own a top floorfiller?

Brian

Social source share

Agee with the above but this is not a boot but a legit re-issue, still the seller could of metioned that.

However if you're gonna pay that much for a record you might find out a little info first IMO. Such as it doesn't even look like any 60's okeh releases.

Buyer madness IMHO.

Social source share

I bid up to approximately £35, even though I knew it was a reissue. The chances of me being able to afford an original are slim ( infact I'd say anorexic ! ).

Anyway just out of interest, was it the promo (mentioned in KR's Top 500 book special edition) for the Soultime CD? Also has anyone got a copy for £20? Willing to go up to £35 at a push! ;-)

Social source share

Agee with the above but this is not a boot but a legit re-issue, still the seller could of metioned that.

However if you're gonna pay that much for a record you might find out a little info first IMO. Such as it doesn't even look like any 60's okeh releases.

Buyer madness IMHO.

Legit or not, it's no better than a boot IMO. Could have nade it even more "legit" and authentic by including both sides of Tangeers. If it is legit the record company are just exploiting the current popularity of the two sides, same as bootleggers do ;-)

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Are you sure this is a legitimate re-issue? Linda Lloyd was a Columbia release - not Okeh release. Unless there's a contractual link between Okeh and Columbia (and someone might be able to put me right on that because I honestly don't know if there is such a link) then this double sider looks decidedly suspect to me.

Can anyone give a definitive answer please - and I mean DEFINITIVE not a guess or a repetition of rumour?

Brian

Social source share

Are you sure this is a legitimate re-issue?  Linda Lloyd was a Columbia release - not Okeh release.  Unless there's a contractual link between Okeh and Columbia (and someone might be able to put me right on that because I honestly don't know if there is such a link) then this double sider looks decidedly suspect to me.

Can anyone give a definitive answer please - and I mean DEFINITIVE not a guess or a repetition of rumour?

Brian

Okeh was a subsidiary of Columbia.

Social source share

Linda Lloyd was one of my fave spins a few years ago. I got that promo 45 in a record shop for a fiver when it came out. I was gobsmacked to see it at that price! F*cking daftness. How can anyone even think of paying £20 for a reissue??! It's cheaper to get one off a CD and cut an acetate cos you'd never play a reissue of Breakaway out. I've played it at home twice since I bought it, cos I'd feel a bit of a fraud playing it out.

Silly prices prevailing again. If people are willing to pay over the odds for a boot, where are we going to end up?!

Just for the record (sic), the re-issue WAS a promo issue pressed to fuel the sales of Soultime 2. I remember they did the same with Jimmy Frazer for the first one. That one was apparently limited to 200, but I suspect there were another thousand or two more....

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Janine, Mike and Matt

Thanks for clearing that up in my mind. Perhaps the purchaser might sleep a little better in his bed tonight - I expect he'll be quite tired after putting in the overtime to pay for his auction win!

Brian

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I was caught in that trap, but fortunately didn't get stung antwhere nearly as bad. I saw 2 mins to go on a copy of Alice Clark - you hit me.

Bid the minimum, about £20. And its the same as above.

Really really ####ed off, but mostly with myself for not checking it out first. Even with 2 mins to go. But the greedy 'I just spotted a bargian' in me was too overpowering.

Buyer beware? buyer a fool more like.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!