Gloria Jones "tainted Love" Uk-issue On Soul Stop

Just pulled out a UK reissue of Gloria Jones "Tainted Love" from 1984 on the SOUL STOP label and played the flipside for the first time ever. It's called "Biking" and is credited to A.G.

Now... for those of you who have heard it... what was the thinking there. huh.gif It's an instrumental mid-tempo very 80s sounding synth tune. Almost as if you've put a £20 synthesizer to play any of the dreadful "default" tunes that it comes with.

Who was behind this reissue? Who was A.G.? The tune is written by Ken Cox.

I'm just baffled.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just pulled out a UK reissue of Gloria Jones "Tainted Love" from 1984 on the SOUL STOP label and played the flipside for the first time ever. It's called "Biking" and is credited to A.G.

Now... for those of you who have heard it... what was the thinking there. huh.gif It's an instrumental mid-tempo very 80s sounding synth tune. Almost as if you've put a £20 synthesizer to play any of the dreadful "default" tunes that it comes with.

Who was behind this reissue? Who was A.G.? The tune is written by Ken Cox.

I'm just baffled.

:yes: IF I CAN REMEMBER RIGHTLY FIRST OF THIS WAS A OLD MUSIC INDUSTRY SCAM THAT HAS RUN FOR YEARS PUTTING A SELF PENNED B SIDE ON A 45 AS HALF THE ROYALTIES GO TO THE WRITTER SO GLORIE WOULD ONLY GET A SMALL IF NO PERCENTAGE OF THE RECOREDS PROFFITS AND THE MONEY ALWAYS GOES TO THE WRITER/PRODUCER FIRST, AND IN THE 6ts MOST ARTIST WERE PAID AT THE TIME FOR THE SESSION SAY $200 AND NO MORE THIS WAS THE PRACTICE IN jAMACA DAVE BARKER ONLY GOT £200 FOR DOUBLE BARRAL EVEN THOUGH IT MADE UK No1 DESMOND RILEY POCKETED ALL THE CASH, SEEMS UNFAIR WELL OF COURSE IT IS, THATS WHY SO MANY UK COVERS OF SOUL RECORDS IN THE 6ts HAD THE GROUPS OWN SONGS ON THE B SIDE RIPPING OF THE BLACK ARTIST IN THE US TWICE? AS FOR THE SOUL STOP B SIDE I AM SURE THAT IT WAS SOME LOCAL PETERBOURGH GROUP THAT KEN COX USED AND PAID THEM ABOUT £100 FOR THE COPY RIGHT AS NO ONE WOULD BE BUYING THE RECORD FOR THE B SIDE AND HE WOULD ONLY HAVE TO GIVE ED COBB THE WRITER NOT EVEN A QUATER, THE MAN TO ASK IS IAN LAVINE AS A WRITER AND PRODUCER OF A MORE QUALATIVE SOUND? boxing.gif DAVE KIL
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!