The Day Mel Britt Made Uk Soul Fans Cry

Still a little breathless by what happened but....a picture paints a thousand words...here's Mr Mel Britt, Iconic soulster, former member of The Visitors and session singer for Norman Whitfield. He also sang on Mary Wells last 45 before she passed. Oh......and he sang a fantastic song on FiP too! He's a little frail nowadays but the old spark was there...

ON WEST GRAND BLVD (Berry Gordy Jr Blvd).

post-1369-1236878495_thumb.jpg

On the steps of Hitsville, 2648 WGB, Detroit Mich.

post-1369-1236878551_thumb.jpg

Signing the visitors book at Studio A (The Snakepit) (No photos allowed..Yeah right!)

post-1369-1236878607_thumb.jpg

Kev playing his 'She'll Come Running Back'. Mr Britt recognised the song and turned to be greeted by 200 odd soul fans (AND fellow artists/musicians), clapping and cheering him throughout the whole song. From opening bars to final refrain.

post-1369-1236878665_thumb.jpg

I'll tell you what.....Kev and Sam Roberts did a wonderful thing. Not just for the UK soul fans but for Mel himself too. I'm sure everyone that witnessed the spontaneous outpouring for Mel will treasure that afternoon forever. Well done to everyone. Kev, Sam, the artists that were present and realised that the guy in the heavy winter coat was someone special to us and the fans, both UK and US who completely embraced Mel, and provided a warming experience I suspect he hadn't enjoyed in a while.

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Its bought a lump to my throat just reading this Dave............thank god he knows just how much that record means to many soul fans & they were able to show thier appreciation........

Best Russ

Still a little breathless by what happened but....a picture paints a thousand words...here's Mr Mel Britt, Iconic soulster, former member of The Visitors and session singer for Norman Whitfield. He also sang on Mary Wells last 45 before she passed. Oh......and he sang a fantastic song on FiP too! He's a little frail nowadays but the old spark was there...

Signing the visitors book at Studio A (The Snakepit) (No photos allowed..Yeah right!)

Kev playing his 'She'll Come Running Back'. Mr Britt recognised the song and turned to be greeted by 200 odd soul fans (AND fellow artists/musicians), clapping and cheering him throughout the whole song. From opening bars to final refrain.

I'll tell you what.....Kev and Sam Roberts did a wonderful thing. Not just for the UK soul fans but for Mel himself too. I'm sure everyone that witnessed the spontaneous outpouring for Mel will treasure that afternoon forever. Well done to everyone. Kev, Sam, the artists that were present and realised that the guy in the heavy winter coat was someone special to us and the fans, both UK and US who completely embraced Mel, and provided a warming experience I suspect he hadn't enjoyed in a while.

still get a lump in the throat when i think about this dave, one of the most emotional moments i have ever wittnessed as somebody said on the coach back to chicago "that was better than my wedding day " enough said.......................kev

There are plans afoot to assist Mel. Dave Raistrick had a great idea and we're gonna try and put something in place shortly so that people who wish to can help. Stay tuned....

Without doubt this was the most moving day l have ever witnessed in the often strange world of rare soul, As Dave Moore states it's our intention to form a friends and fans society for Mel and with everyone's help and support l'm sure we can certainly make this world a much better place for him.

Please watch this thread for further details and PM me with any questions.

Regards

Dave Raistrick.

There are plans afoot to assist Mel. Dave Raistrick had a great idea and we're gonna try and put something in place shortly so that people who wish to can help. Stay tuned....

Daves

Count me in, I am still reeling from that very special moment, I can't even talk to anyone about it without welling up in tears again. I was talking to folks and was going to try and set up some sort of scheme where we all chip in and get this man and others what they deserve. When you think about how many folks have danced/worshiped that record over the last 40 years, then it's only right that we give something back.

keep me informed and i will willingly chip in on a regular basis.

Neil

Daves

Count me in, I am still reeling from that very special moment, I can't even talk to anyone about it without welling up in tears again. I was talking to folks and was going to try and set up some sort of scheme where we all chip in and get this man and others what they deserve. When you think about how many folks have danced/worshiped that record over the last 40 years, then it's only right that we give something back.

Neil

Without doubt this was the most moving day l have ever witnessed in the often strange world of rare soul, As Dave Moore states it's our intention to form a friends and fans society for Mel and with everyone's help and support l'm sure we can certainly make this world a much better place for him.

Regards

Dave Raistrick.

Good on you Dave and Dave : count me in .......

Malc Burton

Guest MissDee

A truly memorable day in a truly memorable week. What struck me was the irony and poignancy of a frail old black man getting onto a bus full of white strangers and them all jostling and falling over each other to give up their seats for him. Rosa Parks would have been proud.

It was a pleasure to meet him and a humbling experience to be part of that day. I know that everyone involved will feel that they witnessed something special and will remember the day with emotion for years to come.

Donna x

post-7574-1236967307_thumb.jpg

post-7574-1236967347_thumb.jpg

Well said Dave this was a mind blowin thing that touched us all!

Anyone with a heart wud be tearfull after seein Mel struggle out of his cab onto our bus,

he seemed so frail,but what a guy, and deserved the full top accollade he was given!

Ive never felt so humble in my life.This was a true priviledge for me to meet this man.

Mike Cog

Count us IN Dave,

Rob & Karen Wigley

Regards

Dave Raistrick.

JUST A THOUGHT, DID ANYONE CAPTURE THIS MOMENTOUS OCCASION ON VIDEO??

I WOULD LOVE TO WATCH IT THROUGH AGAIN.

HERE'S HOPING.

NEIL

Spoke to Mick H last night and he has the video of the Memphis Smoke event. There are also a couple more knocking about. We discussed putting the video on DVD and selling it. Sounds like a good idea. Jason is going to build a website for 'The Friends Of Mel Britt' that people can visit and contribute if they feel they'd like to. It'll take us a while to get everything in place but it's in hand. Meanwhile...I have a copy of Mel Britt - She'll Come Running Back - FiP Issue for sale in sales. That'll kick off the fund.

I'll report back as things develop.

Not only a pleasure but a privilage to witness such an outpouring of respect and affection to such lovely man. The memory of that afternoon will stay with me forever; I count myself very lucky to have been there. To be part of such a special occasion, with a group of like minded people was truly wonderful - this is what being a soul fan is all about. What a fantastic end to three marvellous US soul trips?

Hi Donna, what a wonderful observation, reading it set me off yet again. Totally confused our 23 year old when she said tell me about your holiday and as her mum and dad tried to tell / explain the Mel Britt phenomenon to her, both welled up............ again

See you soon, Lorraine

]

"What struck me was the irony and poignancy of a frail old black man getting onto a bus full of white strangers and them all jostling and falling over each other to give up their seats for him. Rosa Parks would have been proud. "

Donna x

Hi Donna, what a wonderful observation, reading it set me off yet again. Totally confused our 23 year old when she said tell me about your holiday and as her mum and dad tried to tell / explain the Mel Britt phenomenon to her, both welled up............ again

See you soon, Lorraine

]

"What struck me was the irony and poignancy of a frail old black man getting onto a bus full of white strangers and them all jostling and falling over each other to give up their seats for him. Rosa Parks would have been proud. "

Donna x

Hi Lorraine, glad to see you have rested enough to start posting on here.

what a fitting way to end the detroit trip. it was very moving wasn't it, I would love to see it back on video. a very special moment I will treasure. it affected me big time, and like you say, you try to explain to people and they think you have had an awful time when you start welling up. in fact the total opposite applies, I was saying to Graham when we got back to the hotel in Chicago how priveliged we were to witness the wonderful appreciation showed to Mel Britt.

I feel priveliged to have been there, I only hope Kev has the guts to put on another one, I'll be there for sure!!

best regards

Neil Self

See you soon, Lorraine

]

Edited by neil self

Hi Lorraine, glad to see you have rested enough to start posting on here.

what a fitting way to end the detroit trip. it was very moving wasn't it, I would love to see it back on video. a very special moment I will treasure. it affected me big time, and like you say, you try to explain to people and they think you have had an awful time when you start welling up. in fact the total opposite applies, I was saying to Graham when we got back to the hotel in Chicago how priveliged we were to witness the wonderful appreciation showed to Mel Britt.

I feel priveliged to have been there, I only hope Kev has the guts to put on another one, I'll be there for sure!!

best regards

Neil Self

See you soon, Lorraine

]

Hi Neil great to meet you in Chicago for the first time got to agree with everything you said there can not have been a dry eye in the house when Mel stood there taking all the adolation he deserved for a great record.There are very few moments in your life that you will remember like this one on a cold dreary day in Detroit but this one will stay with me for ever,i looked round to see a sea of soul fans chocked back with emotion clapping from the first beat to the last of she'll come running back and seeing the look on Mels face as the room errupted well done to Kev and Sam for a absolutley brilliant finish to a fantastic week in Chicago and Detroit these are moments money cant buy(Priceless).Just to finish i was lucky enough to be on the coach that picked Mel up and Quoting Donna on Rosa parks i can honestly say everybody on the coach would have given their seat up for Mel and i felt Humble to travel to Detroit with a legend many many thanks Yocky. Ps if joy and myself can do anything to help the cause for Mel we will do all we can just let us know,i dont know the legal side but if anyone who recorded it and wanted to raise a few bob towards it must be overpowerd with requests for a copy and give the funds to the cause i for one would have at least one all the best yocky
Guest welshruss

I didnt go on this trip (surely wish i did tho after reading this thread) but IF just IF Mel Britt happens to read this,i want him to know this......

It was about 1977 maybe 78 not sure,,, but me and a very good mate,Caddy, were on the balconey of the Casino,having a coffee of all things ! it must have been about 4.30 to 5.00 am when on comes "she,ll come running back"

The sun is just starting to shine thru the windows,and we look at each other and say "it doesnt get any better than this"

And thats not a bullshit story,coz if you ever meet Caddy (and a lot of people know him down the coast) he will tell you that was a moment in time.......wonderful.

Am really envious about the people at this event..good luck to you all.

Hi Neil great to meet you in Chicago for the first time got to agree with everything you said there can not have been a dry eye in the house when Mel stood there taking all the adolation he deserved for a great record.There are very few moments in your life that you will remember like this one on a cold dreary day in Detroit but this one will stay with me for ever,i looked round to see a sea of soul fans chocked back with emotion clapping from the first beat to the last of she'll come running back and seeing the look on Mels face as the room errupted well done to Kev and Sam for a absolutley brilliant finish to a fantastic week in Chicago and Detroit these are moments money cant buy(Priceless).Just to finish i was lucky enough to be on the coach that picked Mel up and Quoting Donna on Rosa parks i can honestly say everybody on the coach would have given their seat up for Mel and i felt Humble to travel to Detroit with a legend many many thanks Yocky. Ps if joy and myself can do anything to help the cause for Mel we will do all we can just let us know,i dont know the legal side but if anyone who recorded it and wanted to raise a few bob towards it must be overpowerd with requests for a copy and give the funds to the cause i for one would have at least one all the best yocky

Cheers You Two,

Great to have you both on board.

Many Thanks.

Daves

Neil

Fantastic stuff Neil.

Many Thanks Mate.

• 2 weeks later...