Northern Soul Snob's

Guest soulboy

18 hours ago, PhilT said:

Every ounce of my being says don't but ...

To whom it may concern,

Re: This OVO thing people keep going on about 

This OVO (or whatever you want to refer to it as) thing is a bit of a red herring and an absolute road to nowhere in all honesty. At the heart of it all is the simple matter of integrity, i.e. not pretending to be something you're not and seeing the bigger picture. You and me, we're nobody, absolute nonentities in the greater scheme.  

Personally, I'm only interested in collecting original records and would only expect to pay to hear someone play original records. (That's my own daft fault and why I've never had any money for thirty years or so but hey ho. I'd advise against it tbh, just turn up and dance to whatever you're into). It's of absolutely no interest whatsoever to me what you want to do at home, down your local or wherever; it's none of my bloody business frankly. I choose where I go to and one determinant of that is who else is gonna be going and who is playing what: I expect that you'll do the same. So far so good then. 

The only thing is. sometimes some people are wont to extend their brass neck in order to shout the odds; invariably these are people who know not very much at all about not very much. They also tend to be really quite self absorbed in my experience.  (I recall some of them turning up on the scooter scene and a quite dramatic transformation took place: I'd never seen a fat 'mod' until that point). 

I try to frequent events where people are trying hard to do things 'properly' - by that I mean not rolling out the same thoughtless pap you see advertised every Friday and Saturday every single week; you know, people with a bit of the aforementioned integrity who realise it's not about them. By and large it's a uplifting, heartwarming experience. I rarely feel suicidal as a direct result of attending, even now, so give it a whirl if you haven't already.

Be warned though, from time to time you may encounter small cliques who find solace in grizzling and whining, faces fixed like smashed crabs, because someone has the audacity NOT to play FW or something else that's been entirely done to death and forms part of the great pantheon of around a hundred or so records around which their soul world is oriented.

Worse still,  if over the fullness of time you find yourself in the unenviable position of playing records to them then suicidal ideation is a very real possibility I'm afraid. You see, these same good people usually frequent venues where they can ask for absolutely anything - from Don Gardner to Ramsey Lewis or even that old favourite "true love, you know, TRUE LOVE!" Moreover, they fully expect you to play what they ask for - immediately, regardless of what else you're playing, have played or are intent on playing because they didn't / won't know them anyway: "it's all that rare shit and they're rare for a reason..."  - this is usually a reference to something by JJ Barnes, Derek Martin or similar. Be aware that playing what they ask for, immediately, is entirely non negotiable!

This particular challenge is underpinned by the fact that the 'djs' (aka relatives, mates etc) at their 'favourite' venues usually arrive with three cases holding 300 45s each - worth a grand total of about fifty quid. They've got everything those fellas and are of the same ilk. Moreover, it is those very same people who are so fond of the 'willy waving' and 'soul snob' lines. (These cut me to the very quick, as you might expect, but the fact that the irony doesn't resonate with them does offer some consolation in those darker moments when it's all too much). 

One of the other problems seems to me to be the fact that the vast majority of those same people were, in the main, nowhere to be seen between 1982 and 2000. Nonetheless, they have now decided that 'it's a way of life' and take every opportunity to 'show and tell' (which we did at primary school as I recall) anyone who'll listen just how all consuming it is to be 'a soulie': "it's a way of life ... it's what's in the grooves that counts ... you play the records not the labels"

At the end of the day, don't worry too much about OVO or any of that other nonsense; as long as you're having a good time and not bothering me it's all good. 

ps. Oh aye, in the unlikely event that you do encounter any of these folk on your travels I wouldn't worry unduly as they'll get bored with it again quite soon or pack it in because they aren't getting enough attention. I'll still be at it though if you want to talk about soul records, OVO or any of that other nonsense. 

Well said Mr T, hit the nail on the head, straight and to the point couldn't of put it better myself. Plus a sore finger. Top man 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

49 minutes ago, MrF said:

Oh what a fool I’ve been!

All those times I’ve turned up to DJ with my 600 reasonably well-known and popular tunes (with maybe a smattering of more obscure numbers), to allow myself to be able to react to the dance floor by gauging what the folks are into and tailoring my set accordingly. Oh, the times someone has asked if I have a particular record, only to say “Yes” and slip it into my set. 

What a numbskull I’ve been. It’s not about the folks who’ve paid to come in at all - it’s all about me and what I want to play. 

Thank you all for putting me straight on this one. Thank the Lord I joined Soul Source.

From now on I will arrive at the venue with just 100 records (all obscure or rare) and I will stick to my playlist even if no one dances and everyone looks bored and disappointed. And if some amateur who has no business going out dancing on a Saturday night should dare to ask if I have a particular record, I’ll stick two fingers up at them and tell’ed to F off.

I will report back in six months on my meteoric rise in the world of Soul DJing, now I have the magic formula. What was I thinking?! Years wasted. Maybe there’s still time!

Finally. FINALLY!!!!!!

I feel a kindred spirit has entered my world. Someone who remembers what the scene was like in its early days, what it was actually meant to be, and what it still should be. Long before it disappeared up its own arse, not knowing how to get out again. Thank you Mr F. Brightened an old mans day! 🙂 

Social source share

Well, well, well. Many views good, bad and down right nonsense from some people who maybe weren't around from the start 68-69 so 50 years of being on the scene no excuses about getting married having kids blah blah blah. Oh yes and collecting actual 45s for all those years. My opinion quite simply is if & when i DJ i will play and do what I want to do mainly for people of similar tastes which there are plenty just wanting to hear tunes that are not the same old thing the same old way. It's to easy, but if you want to be famous ? Ha ha  well carry on enjoy and have fun. But leave the rest of us alone please. That is people who have served their time. In other words been , seen and done it. Keep dancing, listening, buying but most of all be Happy with your own SOUL.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, MrF said:

Oh what a fool I’ve been!

All those times I’ve turned up to DJ with my 600 reasonably well-known and popular tunes (with maybe a smattering of more obscure numbers), to allow myself to be able to react to the dance floor by gauging what the folks are into and tailoring my set accordingly. Oh, the times someone has asked if I have a particular record, only to say “Yes” and slip it into my set. 

What a numbskull I’ve been. It’s not about the folks who’ve paid to come in at all - it’s all about me and what I want to play. 

Thank you all for putting me straight on this one. Thank the Lord I joined Soul Source.

From now on I will arrive at the venue with just 100 records (all obscure or rare) and I will stick to my playlist even if no one dances and everyone looks bored and disappointed. And if some amateur who has no business going out dancing on a Saturday night should dare to ask if I have a particular record, I’ll stick two fingers up at them and tell’ed to F off.

I will report back in six months on my meteoric rise in the world of Soul DJing, now I have the magic formula. What was I thinking?! Years wasted. Maybe there’s still time!

"From now on I will arrive at the venue with just 100 records (all obscure or rare) and I will stick to my playlist even if no one dances and everyone looks bored and disappointed." Think you must have been playing a set last week, or your twin ! Boring doesn't really describe it, so let me try, "self indulgent bollocks not worth paying for", but that isn't you F, you're the pick a good word beginning with F  😉

Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve C said:

"From now on I will arrive at the venue with just 100 records (all obscure or rare) and I will stick to my playlist even if no one dances and everyone looks bored and disappointed." Think you must have been playing a set last week, or your twin ! Boring doesn't really describe it, so let me try, "self indulgent bollocks not worth paying for", but that isn't you F, you're the pick a good word beginning with F  

Have you ever seen his collection??? 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Steve C said:

"From now on I will arrive at the venue with just 100 records (all obscure or rare) and I will stick to my playlist even if no one dances and everyone looks bored and disappointed." Think you must have been playing a set last week, or your twin ! Boring doesn't really describe it, so let me try, "self indulgent bollocks not worth paying for", but that isn't you F, you're the pick a good word beginning with F  

Have you ever seen his collection??? 

Social source share

Speaks volumes, just liked minded people with similar taste in music getting together to enjoy records that ain't even pressed just underplayed an if rare so what. Must be nice sat there at your local soul night. 👍 Ain't your thing fine just keep on doing what your doing enjoy like we do. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, chalky said:

“A way of life”

I have a mate, old work mate, he always liked the music but never at the forefront, his brother was an old soulie who left the scene with Wigan. Last few years though he does the soul nights locally, Skegness Butlins, BISF etc, has a scooter with way of life on the side yet never he went anywhere, not even the local nights years ago, he was never been part of the scene.

You could always tell the chap that being a monk or a nun is a way of life. But buying a few things and going out a few weekends a month probably isn't a way of life at all. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm not quite sure where this thread is up to...so i could be wide of the mark re my response, but here goes.

Isn’t this the same point as Roy Kean was making about the "prawn sandwich brigade"? If you went to Old Trafford or Kippax (6 or 600 times haha) in the late 60’s thru 70’s and sometime beyond. And also went to The Cathedral (or the other venues), during the same period, then you can’t deny authenticity...no matter what’s played. Football or Music.

It doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the one you choose, or both. It just means you make that choice.

Me, although i like an occasional prawn sandwich, and am happy to see others eat them, i can’t get GB breaking Glyn Pardoe’s leg at OT out of my memory – same with the Music.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Kenb said:

I'm not quite sure where this thread is up to...so i could be wide of the mark re my response, but here goes.

Isn’t this the same point as Roy Kean was making about the "prawn sandwich brigade"? If you went to Old Trafford or Kippax (6 or 600 times haha) in the late 60’s thru 70’s..no matter what’s played. Football or Music.

Wrong ground 60’s & 70’s - that would have been Anfield -YNWA 

only minor point 

Edited by stevegods
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!