Northern Soul Snob's

Guest soulboy

Guest soulboy

Was talking to a female friend last week end and she used the term 'Northern Soul Snobs'ever heard it and what do you think it means?

Edited by soulboy
Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Was talking to a female friend last week end and she used the term 'Northern Soul Snobs'ever heard it and what do you think it means?

Well it's a game played with 5 cubes made of clay engraved with Northern Soul - to be found at a venue near you that sells the general run of the mill tat :lol:

If the music at the soul do is crap, get your Snobs out......

You start with 5 cubes in your palm, thrown them up in the air and catch them on the back of your hand. Then you throw those up in the air, and catch them in your palm. Then the hard bit, throw those back in the air and pick up the ones you dropped on the first throw and catch the lot..I think. :g: Good game, good game :lol:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

knobs ? not on this scene ,dont we all love each other x

:thumbsup:

I think most of us on here have got a little snobbery about our person! :ohmy:

Social source share

people who look down their noses at you when you are new to a venue

OR if you're only a soul night OR if your music's not rare enough.... or if you're too young to have attended wheel / wigan / etc...

Social source share

People who slag you off if your not playing of an original record because its a second issue total tossers.

I remember some years ago when I was 15/16 just getting into northern down at a soul do in Birmingham. I was just starting to collect records and I was talking to this older fella about it I think he was pissed and he said to me ( unless yer payin over £ 100 pound for records you dont know what your on about ) looking back what a total DICK :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Lord GrabAndFlee

anyone without top-40 motown filling their box; the criteria for which I have been labeled as such.

i.e.

drunk slag: "what do you MEAN you don't have any Al Green?!?"

me: "This isn't your prom."

drunk slag: "oh my gaaahd! you are SUCH a northern soul snob!"

me: "yep"

Social source share

Aye the politics thing is a hard one to get used to, but people will be people as they say!

One of my mates has tons of Northern on CD's as he doesn't collect vinyl or even have a record player/deck.

He's still my mate even though now I collect a fair bit of vinyl as I couldn't afford it for years and buy original - whatever country US, BRITISH, CANADIAN or even those nice BELGIUM MOTOWN in pic bags and sadness of sad - play em on sixties record players for the real deal feel. For me it must be an official record company issue and preferably first release record in that country, though I do have the blue Don Thomas 1975 official record co release in my box! Should I buy a pink label one as well? LOL

At a do I would expect people to be friendly and if not talking music then up dancing as life is too short to keep running up to the stand to see if that big ticket number playing is a boot or not.

So am I the snob and he isn't? - hey man get the beers in while we decide and leave the politics to Gordon and his morons!!

Edited by NUFCSOUL
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

'Soul snob' coul mean so many things. I'm probbably one because i wont go along with the politics crap & put up with the same old same old i'm here for the music Upward & Onward i say!!

Soul Snob & proud

The Git :thumbsup:

Social source share

People who slag you off if your not playing of an original record because its a second issue total tossers.

I remember some years ago when I was 15/16 just getting into northern down at a soul do in Birmingham. I was just starting to collect records and I was talking to this older fella about it I think he was pissed and he said to me ( unless yer payin over £ 100 pound for records you dont know what your on about ) looking back what a total DICK :thumbsup:

that's me then,a total tosser!OVO,OVO,OVO! :D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

THE WHOLE ISSUE OF PLAYING ORIGINAL STUFF NEVER CREPT INTO TE DEBATE BACK IN THE DAY IE1980-92 IT WAS JUST TAKIN FOR GRANTED .AGAIN HOW MANY TIMES IS THIS F--KING DEBATE GONNA BE DISCUSSED ON HERE WHY SHOULD YOU BE A SNOB IF YOU BELIEVE IN PLAYING ORIGIANL 45S?

BUY SHIT BOOTLEGS OFF EBAY PLAY THEM AND DIMINISH FURTHER THE SANCTITY OF A SCENE WHICH LIKE IT OR NOT IS ALL ABOUT ORIGINAL RECORDINGS.THE ACCEPTANCE OF SECOND BEST IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH IMO THAT DOES NOT MAKE ME A SNOB ITS A PERSONNEL RELATONSHIP WITH CERTAIN BELIEVES AND PRINCIPLES THAT HAVE DRIVEN THE RARE SOUL SCENE AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER.

PERHAPS PEOPLE MAKING THESE JUDGEMENTS ARE FROM ANOTHER SCENE?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I think most of us on here have got a little snobbery about our person! :D

speak for yourself :D at least half of my personality is snob :D it's one of my more endearing traits

Social source share

If you are playing records at home it doesn't matter what you play.

If you are playing records at a venue then you play originals. End of.

And if people like you say that makes me a soul snob - then so be it. It shows you know nothing about the soul scene.

100% Spot on. :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

THE WHOLE ISSUE OF PLAYING ORIGINAL STUFF NEVER CREPT INTO TE DEBATE BACK IN THE DAY IE1980-92 IT WAS JUST TAKIN FOR GRANTED .AGAIN HOW MANY TIMES IS THIS F--KING DEBATE GONNA BE DISCUSSED ON HERE WHY SHOULD YOU BE A SNOB IF YOU BELIEVE IN PLAYING ORIGIANL 45S?

BUY SHIT BOOTLEGS OFF EBAY PLAY THEM AND DIMINISH FURTHER THE SANCTITY OF A SCENE WHICH LIKE IT OR NOT IS ALL ABOUT ORIGINAL RECORDINGS.THE ACCEPTANCE OF SECOND BEST IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH IMO THAT DOES NOT MAKE ME A SNOB ITS A PERSONNEL RELATONSHIP WITH CERTAIN BELIEVES AND PRINCIPLES THAT HAVE DRIVEN THE RARE SOUL SCENE AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER.

Here here, well said that man.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest kerby

your absolutly right thumbsup.gif

mart ( kerby )

Social source share

Guest Byrney

true wink.gif

pete n' susan ... thumbsup.gif

I rest my case m'lud laugh.gif the self appointed defender of the faith returns. Must have put some years in eh to call yorself that. Good on you.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Byrney

describe the uniform..... baggies or suit and a chin stroke biggrin.gif

Dunno, don't do uniforms to impress people and show what a true soulie I am; just got on with it.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

think iv opened that can of worms again sorry

not really , if it wasn't you it would have been someone else . the same arguments will be thrown up by the same people .... no major drama

Social source share

Guest Byrney

100% bang on.

Social source share

Guest chris

Totally agree Baz thumbsup.gif

Chrissy x

Social source share

OVO back in the day and even earlier than 1980 was just a by-product of playing something new. It was nothing to do with OVO in itself. In fact at one time once a 45 had had it's day that was it. Rare OVO or not.

My contention is that it should be no different today. If it's one of these so-called upfront clubs the 45 will be on OVO anyway. If it's an oldies do then what does it matter what format the music is on as long as it entertains the crowd. And what would be the point of differentiating between OVO and any format oldies nights, other than on the basis of your own personal preferences/prejudices.

AS for soul snobs if us OVO collectors keep having a pop at those places where the rules are lax then it's no wonder others see us as superior or condescending because for a lot of people it doesn't matter.

Playing OVO doesn't drive the scene forward, for instance Johnny Howard, Lee Fields. Playing new discoveries does.

ROD

Social source share

I rest my case m'lud laugh.gif the self appointed defender of the faith returns. Must have put some years in eh to call yorself that. Good on you.

yep ! 38 years worth wink.gif ....... 54 in a few weeks time n' still makin em have it !

i'll get my cape :D .... (well one of susan's circle skirts tied round my neck at least )

pete n' susan.. soul snobs and proud thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Thank fcuk............the voice of reason...........I sometimes question my sanity, am I on the same scene or even the same planet as some of these people. I am a soul snob, a fully paid up card carrying member of the soul police & a multitude of other derogetary labels certain elements of this so called scene have pinned on me, because I beleive in the original ethos of the Rare Soul scene & refuse to be brow beaten into becoming part of a slightly embarrassing, 'Dad dancing at the disco' nostalgia trip, were any Tom, Dick or Norman can call themselves a DJ with a mitt full of bootlegs, then they come on SS & else where & slag OVO DJ's off...........the time is nigh, not long left, before Northern Soul is dead...........then long live Northern Soul.......the real scene will live forever in the hearts & dance floors of the true beleivers.......

Its a fair cop, I'm a soul snob (apparently) & I see it as a badge of honour........

Russ

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Byrney

yep ! 38 years worth wink.gif ....... 54 in a few weeks time n' still makin em have it !

i'll get my cape :( .... (well one of susan's circle skirts tied round my neck at least )

pete n' susan.. soul snobs and proud thumbsup.gif

Still need to know what your nostalgia super power is and your top ten rare soul nemesis are laugh.gif

If you've been around that long, from Notts and around in the 80s we must know each other at least by sight - a close knit band was Notts lot in the 80s :D

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Thank fcuk............the voice of reason...........I sometimes question my sanity, am I on the same scene or even the same planet as some of these people. I am a soul snob, a fully paid up card carrying member of the soul police & a multitude of other derogetary labels certain elements of this so called scene have pinned on me, because I beleive in the original ethos of the Rare Soul scene & refuse to be brow beaten into becoming part of a slightly embarrassing, 'Dad dancing at the disco' nostalgia trip, were any Tom, Dick or Norman can call themselves a DJ with a mitt full of bootlegs, then they come on SS & else where & slag OVO DJ's off...........the time is nigh, not long left, before Northern Soul is dead...........then long live Northern Soul.......the real scene will live forever in the hearts & dance floors of the true beleivers.......

Its a fair cop, I'm a soul snob (apparently) & I see it as a badge of honour........

Russ

tell me there must be a song that you would kill for, if you found it on a bootleg would you be tempted ? some thing you have wanted for years a real hard to find lot of money job ,this will sort the men from the boys,you cant get it on any other format ,you want it big time ,just to hear that intro !

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

tell me there must be a song that you would kill for, if you found it on a bootleg would you be tempted ? some thing you have wanted for years a real hard to find lot of money job ,this will sort the men from the boys,you cant get it on any other format ,you want it big time ,just to hear that intro !

if you want to listen to it , get an mp3 , if you want to dj with it leave it on your wants list

Social source share

If you are playing records at home it doesn't matter what you play.

If you are playing records at a venue then you play originals. End of.

And if people like you say that makes me a soul snob - then so be it. It shows you know nothing about the soul scene.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest johnm

just having a bit of FUN nothing serious......... wink.gif

Social source share

I can't belive my eyes tumbleweed3.gif

One persons comment on here (from a so called 'respected' member) is in complete contradiction to what they have said in private - OVO to the max on open forum - but have said to me that they "do not give a shit about boots/reissues/carvers or what ever" being played rolleyes.gif Apparently, it is the ones who pretend to be something they are not that frustrates them g.gif

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Exactly.

Russ

so what about before mp3's and all this stuff come on you must have been tempted?remember how hard it was, you might get a tape off some one ,its a shame you cant go to the person who owns the rights of the track and get a copy off them that way at least the person or there offspring get some kinda payment off it,or would that be a no no, on another topic on here about gold mine going bang some one said that they[ goldmine ] had been booting ther own cd's ? surly its not a bootleg if they own the rights ?and what about unissued stuff like all the motown if it was found on a master then put on a cd is that the original !i remember djing with some one and they were asked for a track that was never issued on record they said to me they would get one cut the next time they played it off record, and that was a well known dj. told you id opened a can of worms .

Edited by soulboy
Social source share

OVO back in the day and even earlier than 1980 was just a by-product of playing something new. It was nothing to do with OVO in itself. In fact at one time once a 45 had had it's day that was it. Rare OVO or not.

My contention is that it should be no different today. If it's one of these so-called upfront clubs the 45 will be on OVO anyway. If it's an oldies do then what does it matter what format the music is on as long as it entertains the crowd. And what would be the point of differentiating between OVO and any format oldies nights, other than on the basis of your own personal preferences/prejudices.

AS for soul snobs if us OVO collectors keep having a pop at those places where the rules are lax then it's no wonder others see us as superior or condescending because for a lot of people it doesn't matter.

Playing OVO doesn't drive the scene forward, for instance Johnny Howard, Lee Fields. Playing new discoveries does.

ROD

I do agree Rod at the end of the day collectors dont have to go to oldies nights and vis a vis ,the confusion lies in the rare soul scene and the oldies scene all been clubbed together under the same ethos,the truth is the two scenes are miles apart,as is the modern scene from the northern scene etc,but personel derogatary remarks at collectors who have given so much to keep the scene alive and fresh does not wear imo.

Yes ofcourse your right to alot of people it doesnt matter but also to alot of people it does again down to personnel prefernces,what i cant get my head round is people taken the high ground but eqating that with paying ridiculos amountds of money for average records that have had the arse spun out of them anyway. The vast majority of soul records unplayed can be easily picked up for well below £100 quid ,the fact is alot ofcollectors do not put in the leg work to get these,if there did imo we would have a even higher turnover of records coming through that stand alone on merit regardless of obscurity or value!

If anyone read issue 10 of theres that beat the article on Burnley [just one example]highlighted loads of fresh stuff as far as I am aware anyone can pay ther money to get in and enjoy no signs outside ,the same with lifeline,wilton and the dda "saying oldies brigade not welcome" lol, I dont see in reality an exclusive attitude but ofcourse alot of bollocks goes on inbetween.

ps the various threads in the media sction ie sweet and deep,sixties thread,crossover friday,etc etc are brimming with obscure quality tunes perhaps some good is been done to try and spread the music without judgements that is my intention cant speak for others!

BAZ A

Social source share

Still need to know what your nostalgia super power is and your top ten rare soul nemesis are :lol:

If you've been around that long, from Notts and around in the 80s we must know each other at least by sight - a close knit band was Notts lot in the 80s wink.gif

well Byrney.. do you know us by sight? ( i left my cape at home and just wore a vest lol ) :D

brig.jpg

me n' Susan in the middle with my mates Chippy (right) and Lee (left) at Brighouse a few months ago...

I am from Rotherham and was living in Sheffield in the 80's...Susan was in Germany and we did not know each other then...even though we had the same Notts mates from my visits to the palais etc...only lived in Notts 16 years...

Pete n' susan

Social source share

Guest Mart B

My personal opinion it has to be OV ONLY,otherwise at present you get a bunch of "soulies" who have graced a soulnight at their youth club in the seventies who have come back on the scene with their bunch of pressins & a fistfull of dvd compilations :lol: ....Starting a northern soul nite up claiming they was never "off"the scene smile.gif .

Social source share

I, myself, would probably be considered a soul snob by some and an idiot by many others :lol:

I listen to mp3's on my iPod, but wherever possible like to listen to and play OVO. And the vast majority of stuff I play on my iPod is recorded from my own original vinyl.

I do not particularly differentiate between so-called oldies and so-called rarities per se. Some oldies are great rarities and some rare records are big oldies. There are many great records, once biggies, now all but forgotten and I would think never played out anymore. I am not a great fan of "played out" oldies but think that if you pay your money then you deserve to hear it on original vinyl unless the night is clearly advertised as not being such.

As for the point made earlier about people paying OTT prices for "played out" records, I don't see why that's a problem? I've done it myself. It's just an extension of the soul snobbery isn't it? For me personally I want to own every single record that I like on Original Vinyl - oldies, newies, rarities, 60's, 70's, 80's whatever. Give me 'em all!

Phil

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!