Northern Soul Snob's

Guest soulboy

Guest bazrico

im 53 and i startedgoin when i was 16 is that long enough ?

nah just a young lad you need to get a few more years under your belt :lol::P

Social source share

Guest Trevski

im 53 and i startedgoin when i was 16 is that long enough ?

If that's the case, then you should know enough to know what's what; regarding this question, and stop provoking stupid arguments. Virtually everything you have posted here is like a big, fat contentious worm on a hook, waiting for a bite. :lol:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest bazrico

If that's the case, then you should know enough to know what's what; regarding this question, and stop provoking stupid arguments. :(

he might be 53 but still young at heart or even mind :lol::P:(

Social source share

Guest soulboy

so what are you saying ? im not in your club because i dont agree with what you say ,im not trying to wind anyone up. what is the point of having a forum if you cant have your own ideas about things. I got in to this music because it was different , I know what i like and dont like i dont see any thing wrong in that. you dont know me ,you know nothing about me so why slag off my photo ?

Edited by soulboy
Social source share

so what are you saying ? im not in your club because i dont agree with what you say ,im not trying to wind anyone up. what is the point of having a forum if you cant have your own ideas about things. I got in to this music because it was different , I know what i like and dont like i dont see any thing wrong in that.

Who are you talking to?

Social source share

so what are you saying ? im not in your club because i dont agree with what you say ,im not trying to wind anyone up. what is the point of having a forum if you cant have your own ideas about things. I got in to this music because it was different , I know what i like and dont like i dont see any thing wrong in that. you dont know me ,you know nothing about me so why slag off my photo ?

So you are talking to me.

For a start you have had no ideas of your own that I can see. Just the same old stupid questions that get posted on here on a weekly basis.

But you are right I don't know you. And as for slagging your photo.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Ok i have been since the 1966/7 i can't believe what you are saying and YES i know alot of lads from Shrews bury borne in Woore grew up in the stoke on Trent area and yes you can have your say but please tone down the attitude.

Your replay's seem to be from a novice not some one who as been around for a number of years

Social source share

soul badge looked original keep the faith last 70's ken cox's label. Billy

Social source share

Guest soulboy

So you are talking to me.

For a start you have had no ideas of your own that I can see. Just the same old stupid questions that get posted on here on a weekly basis.

But you are right I don't know you. And as for slagging your photo.... :thumbsup:

if its a stupid question why reply? and if my photo made you smile thats a good thing ,

Social source share

Sorry Rod what you are saying is Utter Bollocks IMO-

Ive got amate in the Us who has this new thing - I get abootleg done/ carver cos I cant be arsed looking for it. Is that acceptable - NO! and never should be.

Even if its oldies it should be original cos thats what they were when they were new things that was driving it forward.

Im a total snob where this is concerend ! No Im just someone who believes on the originality of how this scene came about and continue to keep that way - so to speak.

I wasn't really thinking of carvers in connection with oldies nights. No one gets a carver do they of something that's already booted or re-issued. Getting carvers of current sounds is obviously a no-no but it's nothing new unless I imagined all those Emidiscs back in the 70's.

Im not sure where this obsession with oldies originated but I'd guess Mr M's. I don't think the records played in there were all originals so there is no OVO history with that part of the scene.

I'd say if anybody dj-ing is pissed off when someone plays a boot or re-issue of a 45 on your playlist then maybe it's time to look at your own box cos obviously you need to refresh.

As for telling people that they're some kinda second class soul fan cos OVO plays no part in their thinking it's condescending and patronising. There's a multiple of choices available so I'd have thought avoiding the venues where anything goes is enough without also demonising anyone involved from promoter down to clientelle.

ROD

Social source share

surely its quite simple

if you dont care whether you are playing originals or not, then get back round the other side of the decks and listen to people that do care....i'll get me coat! :D:D

Damn Right! :thumbsup:

And, why do people, who ain't got no originals,don't know anybody with originals think that it is OK to start yet another night of "Classics". :D

Oh, and I'll come with ya.

Tony

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

If you are listening to records at home fair enough.

Anyone at a venue playing records to punters should be playing originals... or they shouldn't be up there.

thats the point joan..........the folk running their little local venue who slap the back of anyone just to get a spot,they play boots cause they neither have the nounce,the knowledge,the desire or the PASSION for this music.They would sell their soul to the devil just to get behind the decks,whatever it takes they'll do it.They run their little venues........but do you see em out and about at other larger venues....NO and to me that speaks volumes,how can you not want to go to places like lifeline,barnsley and all the other venues that are rocking the soul scene.........the answers easy they don't like the music full stop,anyone who does want to go to the more upfront venues....are simply labelled SOUL SNOBS and ELITIST :thumbsup:

Social source share

I would not play bingo either........but I may be tempted to play Beano (that's bingo in its orig format for those who didn't know) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

I suppose when you love something as much as I do you just can't help yourself.

And yes, you made me laugh out loud. And that is a very good thing.

I love the music to joan,not mad keen on the r&b thats started to get played a few years ago so i went down the more modern side of it ,and maybe im a bit to old for modern? just like what i like .in a ideal world we would all like a pot of gold to spend on records ,that dont mean i love the music any less than some one who can afford to lash out £1000000000000 on one record .

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

but your not answering it, your replying thats not an answer, so if some bloke down the street won zillions on the bingo and buys frank wilson for whatever to start dj'ing cos you can only play the original ,and people are going to want him to dj so they can hear that record that makes him a good dj then?

You really should get out more :thumbsup:

Try the local Bingo Hall for starters :D:D

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

I love the music to joan,not mad keen on the r&b thats started to get played a few years ago so i went down the more modern side of it ,and maybe im a bit to old for modern? just like what i like .in a ideal world we would all like a pot of gold to spend on records ,that dont mean i love the music any less than some one who can afford to lash out £1000000000000 on one record .

I like that amount, one billion pounds...ooohhaaaa, Dont worry soul.boy, everyone gets a kickin' off jumpin joan every now and then. I only play OVO, dont consider myself a soul snob in any way, if other folk do consider me as one, are they the snobs thenselves?

Social source share

Guest soulboy

I like that amount, one billion pounds...ooohhaaaa, Dont worry soul.boy, everyone gets a kickin' off jumpin joan every now and then. I only play OVO, dont consider myself a soul snob in any way, if other folk do consider me as one, are they the snobs thenselves?

god i wish id never asked it now my head hurts !

Social source share

ovo only

id rather listen to a set of records that cost £5 each and were mainly rubbish in my opinion than a hour of boots of classics

even if the dj played records i didnt like i would still appreciate that he had taken time to find them and then organise his set list without resorting to the easy method of carvers or boots

if playing carvers is going to be acceptable i can have margaret little , king moses , joseph webster , lil major williams and a host of others done by the weekend if anyone will pay me to dj :thumbsup::D :D

Social source share

I wasn't really thinking of carvers in connection with oldies nights. No one gets a carver do they of something that's already booted or re-issued. Getting carvers of current sounds is obviously a no-no but it's nothing new unless I imagined all those Emidiscs back in the 70's.

Im not sure where this obsession with oldies originated but I'd guess Mr M's. I don't think the records played in there were all originals so there is no OVO history with that part of the scene.

I'd say if anybody dj-ing is pissed off when someone plays a boot or re-issue of a 45 on your playlist then maybe it's time to look at your own box cos obviously you need to refresh.

As for telling people that they're some kinda second class soul fan cos OVO plays no part in their thinking it's condescending and patronising. There's a multiple of choices available so I'd have thought avoiding the venues where anything goes is enough without also demonising anyone involved from promoter down to clientelle.

ROD

Well lets throw all this OVO in the bucket then cos Thats what our cousins were doing years back and the reason we got hooked onto it.

What was the reason we liked this stuff as opposed to mainstream soul - eg Three degrees/ Mac & katie Cassoon - George macrae etc Quite simple - It was bloody great and not readily available - It was our clique and you felt proud of it. IT was OVO then and it should be now. The boots werent done for the Djs they were done for the masses cos cds werent around.

Maybe I have a different view than others cos I worked in the business for a time (Global etc) But what is embarrasing is people buying represses Boots carvers - running a soul night and expecting them to be considered on the same platform as me (AND IM a league 2 DJ)

I have a lightweight collection compared to lots of people even in my area but at least I can play a set without reverting to a boot or repress just to fill the dance floor. I can do an excellent set of oldies If I want at these oldies nights. I just choose not to.

So I still disagree with you Rod cos if its only about what it sounds like to the punters on the dance floor we might as well just crawl into a corner and give up.! However I will spend my time looking /searching for that excellent record I can try in my next set and feel Ive done agood days work rather than just buy boots and try to make out Im abloody good DJto the masses.

Social source share

If you are listening to records at home fair enough.

Anyone at a venue playing records to punters should be playing originals... or they shouldn't be up there.

Why not ,most of the punters are not bothered about originals or boots or cds

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

well Byrney.. do you know us by sight? ( i left my cape at home and just wore a vest lol ) :lol:

Can't say I do but AWWWW Casper lad you've unmasked!! Defenders of the faith just don't do that. You won't catch the rare soul ram raider unmasked. No sireee :lol:

BTW, that vest is out of step and does not fit with the strict baggie authenticity test, egads it should be cotton and adorned with patch of glorious colour. Therefore I shall have no truck with you sir. I beseech you begone. Nurse - where's me polys?

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Why not ,most of the punters are not bothered about originals or boots or cds

:lol:

Sweeping generalization there Span'. Most punters? I know more punters go to 'oldies do's' than upfront, but then do all oldies punters not give a damn? I would hazard a tentative guess that the majority of 'upfront & rarities' punters expect 100% OVO, so add those to the oldie-goers that do care, and I find it hard to agree with 'most'.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest familytree

i think you have to consider just exactly what a d.j is.... on any scene! i dont think you qualify just because your a collector of o.v, far from it! you have to know what your punters want, read the crowd, play new releases you think they would enjoy...entertain! and if you can do that you qualify in my book, what ever your puttin on the turn table....

keep o.v collectors seperate to d.js.... unless they are d.js which many are but equally many are not!.. boring the punter with their collection is self endulgent imo.... its insane to limit who qualifys as a d.j by o.v.. and very controlling.

Social source share

There are now that many nites being run every week this shouldnt be an issue,those that dont or more to the point cant spin ovo shouldnt be booked by venues that advertise ovo.And most who prefer ovo only should easily be able to tell the venues that are ovo only, by the dj lineup.

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

Guest familytree

There are now that many nites being run every week this shouldnt be an issue,those that dont or more to the point cant spin ovo shouldnt be booked by venues that advertise ovo.And most who prefer ovo only, should easily be able to tell the venues that are ovo only by the dj lineup.

a simple solution... sorted! common sense privails :lol:

Social source share

."..the folk running their little local venue who slap the back of anyone just to get a spot,they play boots cause they neither have the nounce,the knowledge,the desire or the PASSION for this music.They would sell their soul to the devil just to get behind the decks,whatever it takes they'll do it."

darcyboy...........

well said that man.

gasher

Edited by GASHER
Social source share

i think you have to consider just exactly what a d.j is.... on any scene! i dont think you qualify just because your a collector of o.v, far from it! you have to know what your punters want, read the crowd, play new releases you think they would enjoy...entertain! and if you can do that you qualify in my book, what ever your puttin on the turn table....

keep o.v collectors seperate to d.js.... unless they are d.js which many are but equally many are not!.. boring the punter with their collection is self endulgent imo.... its insane to limit who qualifys as a d.j by o.v.. and very controlling.

Boring the punter particulary in relation to ovo at upfront dos very rarely happens ,like minds and a sense of history and community see that point off.Are you reffering to the rare soul scene here? Oh and how can you seperate ov collectors to djs,most good ones do both remember its a passion first and dj is a bolt on imo.

As for who qulaifies i cant quite crasp that argument I do know that there is a good plethora of djs who grace upfront venues who can play fresh sets if your good youll get asked back etc etc.IMO its all about ov and those who are fortunate enough to play at the more upfromt dos usually have a sense of respect from most punters and their peers imo.

I also think that letting djs have cart blanch at venues just does not happen as most upfront venues have a certian flavour to their sound and playlist.

baz a :lol:

Social source share

."..the folk running their little local venue who slap the back of anyone just to get a spot,they play boots cause they neither have the nounce,the knowledge,the desire or the PASSION for this music.They would sell their soul to the devil just to get behind the decks,whatever it takes they'll do it."

darcyboy...........

well said that man.

gasher

hundred per cent right but these venues never last long.

Social source share

darcyboy...........

well said that man.

gasher

yep i agree and im pleased at last that alot of people have come out and supported the ovo argument,ive kept quiet too long on this issue,keep the oldies retro debate in the local community hall/pub and let the upfront soul scene move on remember we still have the best djs ,vitality and still set the pace and trends,not bad for a scene thats 40+ years old.

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

most upfront venues that l go to the djs sweat buckets before their sets,sweat buckets during their sets and worry like f**k if they feel they may have played an iffy spot......it's because they actually care about entertaining the attendees.In contrast most oldies only venues have only to play one big oldie after another and that will guarantee a good response :lol:

Social source share

Guest familytree

Boring the punter particulary in relation to ovo at upfront dos very rarely happens ,like minds and a sense of history and community see that point off.Are you reffering to the rare soul scene here? Oh and how can you seperate ov collectors to djs,most good ones do both remember its a passion first and dj is a bolt on imo.

As for who qulaifies i cant quite crasp that argument I do know that there is a good plethora of djs who grace upfront venues who can play fresh sets if your good youll get asked back etc etc.IMO its all about ov and those who are fortunate enough to play at the more upfromt dos usually have a sense of respect from most punters and their peers imo.

I also think that letting djs have cart blanch at venues just does not happen as most upfront venues have a certian flavour to their sound and playlist.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

best answer so far !

Social source share

How about O.P.O. (Original People Only), as this is the true problem. Far too many cookie cutters more than happy to play whatever others have already been playing for years. Even if that means having to carver up a tune with fake labels, a bootleg OR paying a ridiculous price for a record just have that big tune so-and-so made big. The problem is lack of imagination and fragile egos, a horrible combination!!

No one who truly does their own thing and truly loves soul music could be called a snob for their passion. These people are usually far too humble for that as they put the music first and foremost above their own ego.....

Social source share

yes i take your point to some degree.. i just think soulies with a passion for the music and perhaps a talent for d.jing should not be excluded just because they havnt been able to get everything they want to play on ov... he may be able to put together a great set and should be allowed to do so without feeling inferior... but yes these things/places should be established and if ov is the criteria at a certain venue then that is the promotors right i guess x

Cant speak for people feeling inferior never felt that :lol: the unwritten principles of earning a bit respect from your peers before been given the pleasure of spinning a few tunes to me is the rare soul scene ,its not snobbery its a sense of beloning and in a way a affirmation that the crowd you intend to play to respect the fact that yuve worked your bollocks off trying to find a few new tunes on a scene that has never suffered fools and seldom gives compliments.

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

yes i take your point to some degree.. i just think soulies with a passion for the music and perhaps a talent for d.jing should not be excluded just because they havnt been able to get everything they want to play on ov... he may be able to put together a great set and should be allowed to do so without feeling inferior... but yes these things/places should be established and if ov is the criteria at a certain venue then that is the promotors right i guess x

No one is restricted by playing OVO. What are you on about? There are literally hundreds of thousands of quality 45s on original vinyl under £50. If a DJ cannot put together an original and interesting set without resorting to boots then they are a f**king idiot and don't deserve to be calling themselves a DJ.

They should feeling inferior because they bloody well are. :lol:

I can't believe what i'm hearing that it's ok to play boots as long as they've got a good DJ personality. It's not Radio 1 :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

There are literally hundreds of thousands of quality 45s on original vinyl under £50. If a DJ cannot put together an original and interesting set without resorting to boots then they are a f**king idiot and don't deserve to be calling themselves a DJ.

I can't believe what i'm hearing that it's ok to play boots as long as they've got a good DJ personality. It's not Radio 1 :lol:

Social source share

best answer so far !

DOE'S IT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION THEN??

Just i thought your question asked "what is a northern soul snob"??

For me this term is one bandied about ,usually by people, who feel threatened by those who have ,knowledge , passion and patience for the scene .

One thing that always bugs me regarding the ovo issue is, there are plenty of people only too keen to say ovo ,there are plenty of people who don't collect records but attend venues ,who say they don'y care what medium they hear it on..but just how many people have you EVER seen on here, who openly state they play bootleg or re-issues at venues???

If they don't think theyre doing anything to feel guilty of,why do they skulk away and stay silent!

I for one don't care if someone wants to run a venue playing non ov ,but just wish theyd be honest and upfront about it.

I have some good friends on the scene ,who collect and play re-issues ,i don't give them a hard time over it,it's entirely their choice .

Social source share

most upfront venues that l go to the djs sweat buckets before their sets,sweat buckets during their sets and worry like f**k if they feel they may have played an iffy spot......it's because they actually care about entertaining the attendees.In contrast most oldies only venues have only to play one big oldie after another and that will guarantee a good response :lol:

But surely by "guaranteeing a good response" they are "entertaining the attendees"?

Nothing wrong with big oldies (a lot of 'em anyway) to my mind. As long as they are vinyl (or styrene) originals.

Phil

Social source share

Guest familytree

No one is restricted by playing OVO. What are you on about? There are literally hundreds of thousands of quality 45s on original vinyl under £50. If a DJ cannot put together an original and interesting set without resorting to boots then they are a f**king idiot and don't deserve to be calling themselves a DJ.

dont think i condoned boots did i??? if its not o.v it doesnt mean the only other option is a boot!.... my point was there are d.js out there who work at their set and if they feel there is a void in their collection and a reissue fills it then so bloody what! an ov collector does not go hand in hand to being a d.j... yes in the majority of cases their passion, dedication and commitment to the scene guarentees a great set but not always, there is an art to d.jing believe it or not! you are basically saying if you dare to own a reissue your not a dedicated soulie, you havnt earned your badge of honour..bullshit! your right its not a personality contest but not an ego one either! saying that, as a prommoter you have the right to dictate what policy you want at your event.. so whats the problem? let the feet do the talking.

Social source share

Can't say I do but AWWWW Casper lad you've unmasked!! Defenders of the faith just don't do that. You won't catch the rare soul ram raider unmasked. No sireee :P

BTW, that vest is out of step and does not fit with the strict baggie authenticity test, egads it should be cotton and adorned with patch of glorious colour. Therefore I shall have no truck with you sir. I beseech you begone. Nurse - where's me polys?

what a badge like this.... n' poly's like these :lol: (and the vest is cotton too )

poly.jpg

i may be unmasked :P but the faith i will still defend ! :lol::D

pete n' susan.... :lol:

Edited by casper
Social source share

Guest soulboy

DOE'S IT ANSWER YOUR QUESTION THEN??

Just i thought your question asked "what is a northern soul snob"??

For me this term is one bandied about ,usually by people, who feel threatened by those who have ,knowledge , passion and patience for the scene .

One thing that always bugs me regarding the ovo issue is, there are plenty of people only too keen to say ovo ,there are plenty of people who don't collect records but attend venues ,who say they don'y care what medium they hear it on..but just how many people have you EVER seen on here, who openly state they play bootleg or re-issues at venues???

If they don't think theyre doing anything to feel guilty of,why do they skulk away and stay silent!

I for one don't care if someone wants to run a venue playing non ov ,but just wish theyd be honest and upfront about it.

I have some good friends on the scene ,who collect and play re-issues ,i don't give them a hard time over it,it's entirely their choice .

I honestly didnt think the question i asked in the first place would get this reaction ,the girl who used it to me seemed to be on about playing a record that some one had asked for ,some thing may be more handbaggy ,my topic seems to have run away with its self a little ?

Social source share

Guest familytree

How about O.P.O. (Original People Only), as this is the true problem. Far too many cookie cutters more than happy to play whatever others have already been playing for years. Even if that means having to carver up a tune with fake labels, a bootleg OR paying a ridiculous price for a record just have that big tune so-and-so made big. The problem is lack of imagination and fragile egos, a horrible combination!!

No one who truly does their own thing and truly loves soul music could be called a snob for their passion. These people are usually far too humble for that as they put the music first and foremost above their own ego.....

bit off track but are you the guy in 'myspace' that is everyones friend when they first open an account???? you look the model! :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!