Northern Soul Snob's

Guest soulboy

I love this guy!... what a great outlook.. one cool dude(J.B that is... :wave: )

Yes very cool, I remember thinking that when I first saw the interview.

We should also remember that for every ten decent guys/gals who made a record there are a few 'nasties' out there in soulville. Hustlers who want x$ for having a photo taken with them, who are just on the milk and honey treadmill. Think some soul fans are incredible naive and wear the rose tinted glasses when it comes to the 'ins and outs' of the music biz. It certainly wasn't the case that all singers are poor and were ripped off, far from it. Many were paid for the session, and forsake any future rights to royalties etc. Here's $50 for two hours and four tracks, thanks and goodbye.

One of the great things about the scene though is finding a genuine guy - like the late Cal Thomas of the TSU Toronadoes. Genuinly appreciated that people liked his groups music, but wasn't phased about it, didn't want paying for an interview, happy to donate a copy of one of his records "Please heart don't break" for a competition - a cool guy.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest familytree

Yes very cool, I remember thinking that when I first saw the interview.

We should also remember that for every ten decent guys/gals who made a record there are a few 'nasties' out there in soulville. Hustlers who want x$ for having a photo taken with them, who are just on the milk and honey treadmill. Think some soul fans are incredible naive and wear the rose tinted glasses when it comes to the 'ins and outs' of the music biz. It certainly wasn't the case that all singers are poor and were ripped off, far from it. Many were paid for the session, and forsake any future rights to royalties etc. Here's $50 for two hours and four tracks, thanks and goodbye.

One of the great things about the scene though is finding a genuine guy - like the late Cal Thomas of the TSU Toronadoes. Genuinly appreciated that people liked his groups music, but wasn't phased about it, didn't want paying for an interview, happy to donate a copy of one of his records "Please heart don't break" for a competition - a cool guy.

these guys are 'soul singers' in the purest sense... its not all about the song or the singer but the attitude your right... bit like 'soul fans' you either have it or you dont!

Social source share

why is it that when reading the posts on events lookbacks and there are two rooms a classic/ oldies main room and a rare/modern room

a lot of people will praise the event with an aside that they didnt care for the main room usually the classic /oldies room and spent most of their time in the other room?

is it no longer cool to do the main room?

Social source share

Guest familytree

why is it that when reading the posts on events lookbacks and there are two rooms a classic/ oldies main room and a rare/modern room

a lot of people will praise the event with an aside that they didnt care for the main room usually the classic /oldies room and spent most of their time in the other room?

its cool to me... i hate some of these modern rooms.. all singalong tunes and swaying side to side... the beat fitting the pace of the average age i guess but a stormin oldies room for me any day!... and before the anslaught i did say i hate SOME of these modern rooms smile.gif x (the ones were they sway side to side or shuffle dance on a carpet, each to their own eh)

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Don't think it's a matter of 'cool' or not. Its some punters preference, I guess those who've been around a few years or are nighter regulars want more from a night then the same 100 or so records week in week out. Isn't that what most oldies rooms (note - not all) offer?

Social source share

THE OLDIES ROOM

I RARELY(pun) HEAR ANYTHING PLAYED FROM WHEN I STARTED GOING TO NIGHTERS IN A MAIN ROOM, MOST RECORDS ARE JUST THE "CLASSICS" SO AVOID OLDIES NIGHTS, BESIDES THERES SO MUCH BRILLIANT MUSIC OUT THERE TO HEAR :lol:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

well why the aside about didnt do the main room bit from a number of peeps in events lookback

snobbery or wot ?

Why would it be snobbery if they say they didn't do the main room - its a choice and an opinion. If I went to a do and the main room was the nostalgia top 100 and the other, as they say was rare soul (IMO Northern Soul) I'd do the same. I've done a few nighters over the years and don't want to hear the same old tunes for the rest of my life. Probebly makes me a snob - I'll suppose I'll have to forge ahead with life, oh the stigma :thumbsup:

Social source share

Why would it be snobbery if they say they didn't do the main room - its a choice and an opinion. If I went to a do and the main room was the nostalgia top 100 and the other, as they say was rare soul (IMO Northern Soul) I'd do the same. I've done a few nighters over the years and don't want to hear the same old tunes for the rest of my life. Probebly makes me a snob - I'll suppose I'll have to forge ahead with life, oh the stigma smile.gif

You are not getting it Bryney

SNOB = Same Northern Oldies B*ll*cks. Petrhaps we're not the snobs after all :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

You are not getting it Bryney

SNOB = Same Northern Oldies B*ll*cks. Petrhaps we're not the snobs after all :thumbsup::lol:

laugh.gif .................And there was me thinking it was Some Northern Old Boy :D

Social source share

dont matter to me as to which room people choose to spend their time ,my point is why do some people have to say they didnt do the main room .

I go to many events and very rarely go in the modern/rare /underplayed room but if I post a comment on here about a venue ,it wouldnt enter my head to say I didnt go in the alternative room ; this may seem like nitpicking ,each to their own is what I believe, as have said on here before,but it seems its no longer cool to do the main room IMHO and those that do are the great unwashed whistling.gif

Social source share

dont matter to me as to which room people choose to spend their time ,my point is why do some people have to say they didnt do the main room .

I go to many events and very rarely go in the modern/rare /underplayed room but if I post a comment on here about a venue ,it wouldnt enter my head to say I didnt go in the alternative room ;  

You've just said you don't! 

People might note their absence from one room or the other for any of a number of reasons, eg.

• To appear cool to people who's opinion they worry about. Insecurity.
  • To imply disapproval of the room they didn't visit or didn't stay in long, without being too critical. Diplomacy.

• To make it clear that their lookback/review isn't comprehensive because of a notable omission, or musical bias, so should be taken with caution by anybody who might be influenced. Good manners.

So, apart from being cynical, your claim that this is behaviour only associated with people who aren't keen on oldies rooms is just plain wrong - I've read plenty of lookback posts implying modern/r&b/underplayed rooms are not to be ventured into for being unlistenable/undanceable/unpopular/pretentious/etc.

Snobbery (ie. judgemental blinkeredness) works both ways.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

Guest baronsofsoul

these guys are 'soul singers' in the purest sense... its not all about the song or the singer but the attitude your right... bit like 'soul fans' you either have it or you dont!

just read the whole thread am 42 and became single couple of years ago tried the town center scene for one weekend picked up flyer in some pub that was playing motown.went to my first soul venue the next weekend not missed one since.i would just like to say to every single one of you thankyou 10 pages speaks volumes your passion and sure grit and determination over the years has enabled me to find somewhere i call home i live for the weekend.there is a crisp sweet vocal that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end there is a lyric that makes the heart skip a beat and a rhythem that when i'm dancing makes me actually feel like i'm floating an inch off the floor i'm sure that everyone of you feels the same because if you didn't then i wouldn't be sitting here writing this because there would be no scene i've not met a snob once yet just like minded people some with a bigger capacity to do than others i have to applaud the ovo though to me they are the ones that have made all this possible role on friday talc at the ready your all such a great crowd thanks :shades::lol:

Social source share

just read the whole thread am 42 and became single couple of years ago tried the town center scene for one weekend picked up flyer in some pub that was playing motown.went to my first soul venue the next weekend not missed one since.i would just like to say to every single one of you thankyou 10 pages speaks volumes your passion and sure grit and determination over the years has enabled me to find somewhere i call home i live for the weekend.there is a crisp sweet vocal that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end there is a lyric that makes the heart skip a beat and a rhythem that when i'm dancing makes me actually feel like i'm floating an inch off the floor i'm sure that everyone of you feels the same because if you didn't then i wouldn't be sitting here writing this because there would be no scene i've not met a snob once yet just like minded people some with a bigger capacity to do than others i have to applaud the ovo though to me they are the ones that have made all this possible role on friday talc at the ready your all such a great crowd thanks biggrin.gifthumbup.gif

agree with you 110% mate but sometimes it helps to have a little moan on here coz although its a great scene people have differing opinions on a number of points (nitpickin) :D

Social source share

I have watched this thread for a while and seen it develop into a Northern soul snobfest brilliant biggrin.gif

A northern soul snob is one who looks down on those who enjoy the nostalgia events .

A northern soul snob is one who refuses to aknowledge anything modern or post 79 .

Which ever side of the fence your on if you are into Northern you are a snob I,m afraid it goes with the teritory . rolleyes.gif

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Its LIKE when you mention  to someone where your going , LIKE Blackpool tower or Like any big venues Like , they say oh no we dont go there its full of handbaggers , Me personally COULDN'T  careless what people wear or where they choose to go, or how they dance , long as they have an amazing time, life is short, lets all carry on making memories, ✊ , KTF  AND We all love the music , 

Edited by Jayne Houghton
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, MrF said:

Acertate revolutionary soul elite

welcome to the site Mr F

thats an interesting post to get things under way

can you post an intro up here so we know whos jokes we are reading and who we are talking with...

thanks 👍

mike

Social source share

13 minutes ago, MrF said:

It’s time to set the record straight. Forget the OVO debate; vinyl is for amateurs. True soul fans play acetates only. And I don’t mean any second generation metal work or some such, I’m talking first generation cuts, from which that metal work was cast. Obviously, these artefacts are few and far between, so collecting them is a lifetime quest. They also suffer badly from wear when played, so as a scene we tend to only promote one event per year, normally at a very exclusive venue. And I can tell you, tickets are like gold dust. Obviously, we are a members only club, and somewhat like the Masons, joining us requires a nod and a wink; and like Fight Club, the first rule of Arse is that no none talks about Arse. Like MI6, we heavily vet potential new recruits, and only those deemed to be the genuine soul elite are invited to join us. In a quest to extend are membership and ensure the future of our elite club, we are now recruiting. Are you enough of an Arse to join us?

As we, the Acertate revolutionary soul elite, like to say: “If it’s not Arse, then it’s a farce”.

Or the Aylesbury Rare Soul Experience back in the 80's 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, MrF said:

It’s time to set the record straight. Forget the OVO debate; vinyl is for amateurs. True soul fans play acetates only. And I don’t mean any second generation metal work or some such, I’m talking first generation cuts, from which that metal work was cast. Obviously, these artefacts are few and far between, so collecting them is a lifetime quest. They also suffer badly from wear when played, so as a scene we tend to only promote one event per year, normally at a very exclusive venue. And I can tell you, tickets are like gold dust. Obviously, we are a members only club, and somewhat like the Masons, joining us requires a nod and a wink; and like Fight Club, the first rule of Arse is that no none talks about Arse. Like MI6, we heavily vet potential new recruits, and only those deemed to be the genuine soul elite are invited to join us. In a quest to extend are membership and ensure the future of our elite club, we are now recruiting. Are you enough of an Arse to join us?

As we, the Acertate revolutionary soul elite, like to say: “If it’s not Arse, then it’s a farce”.

Brilliant Mr F ...…………...About time we had some humour back on this site 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, MrF said:

Double LOL  🙂 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete
3 hours ago, MrF said:

Is this the event that takes place in the barn on the farm in the middle of nowhere? 😉

Social source share

Guest Shufflin
On 13/03/2009 at 18:01, jumpinjoan said:

If you are playing records at home it doesn't matter what you play.

If you are playing records at a venue then you play originals. End of.

And if people like you say that makes me a soul snob - then so be it. It shows you know nothing about the soul scene.

I agree with this, I think that is still true now, so hating on the OVO standard waters it down

the recent anti OVO stance is really sad imo, then again I can fall back on my records

Social source share

At home, I only play 60's rekkids on a 60's system … I've posted an ad that shows my system below …

HOWEVER, my mate 'Snakehips' Temple tells me I should only play original US CBS 45's on this … when I fetch a Date home, I want to be able to play Epic stuff, not just Reffa, Spellbinders, Shirley Ellis, Rhetta Hughes, Mongo Santamaria, Gigi & the Charmaines, Dee Clark, George Carrow & Chambers Bros stuff. I'm not even sure if it's OKeh to play CBS Special Products releases … I think I need help !!

CBSrecPlayerCase.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Why is it ok to play a bootleg at home? You are simply giving crooks your hard earned and more often than not depriving someone of royalties.  There is no difference where you play them IMO, home or away, still the same. If at home just play the cd or download. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Wow - hey just to throw another spanner thought process in there - definition of Original is the first one made and not a copy - so with that in mind all the stuff on grapevine, Kent etc etc are not originals ? Or if they are what's the difference of a boot or pressing ? Is it just legal as neither by definition are not original. 

IMG_1772.PNG

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

Wow - hey just to throw another spanner thought process in there - definition of Original is the first one made and not a copy - so with that in mind all the stuff on grapevine, Kent etc etc are not originals ? Or if they are what's the difference of a boot or pressing ? Is it just legal as neither by definition are not original. 

IMG_1772.PNG

Betty Boo.  Say it isn't so. Grapevine.  Original 7 " release. If I'm not mistaken 

Steve 

Social source share

2 hours ago, ZoomSoulBlue said:

IMG_1772.PNG

Me thinks you know full well what an original is in the world of record collecting, what is good to play and what isn’t. 

Social source share

17 hours ago, PhilT said:

Every ounce of my being says don't but ...

To whom it may concern,

Re: This OVO thing people keep going on about 

This OVO (or whatever you want to refer to it as) thing is a bit of a red herring and an absolute road to nowhere in all honesty. At the heart of it all is the simple matter of integrity, i.e. not pretending to be something you're not and seeing the bigger picture. You and me, we're nobody, absolute nonentities in the greater scheme.  

Personally, I'm only interested in collecting original records and would only expect to pay to hear someone play original records. (That's my own daft fault and why I've never had any money for thirty years or so but hey ho. I'd advise against it tbh, just turn up and dance to whatever you're into). It's of absolutely no interest whatsoever to me what you want to do at home, down your local or wherever; it's none of my bloody business frankly. I choose where I go to and one determinant of that is who else is gonna be going and who is playing what: I expect that you'll do the same. So far so good then. 

The only thing is. sometimes some people are wont to extend their brass neck in order to shout the odds; invariably these are people who know not very much at all about not very much. They also tend to be really quite self absorbed in my experience.  (I recall some of them turning up on the scooter scene and a quite dramatic transformation took place: I'd never seen a fat 'mod' until that point). 

I try to frequent events where people are trying hard to do things 'properly' - by that I mean not rolling out the same thoughtless pap you see advertised every Friday and Saturday every single week; you know, people with a bit of the aforementioned integrity who realise it's not about them. By and large it's a uplifting, heartwarming experience. I rarely feel suicidal as a direct result of attending, even now, so give it a whirl if you haven't already.

Be warned though, from time to time you may encounter small cliques who find solace in grizzling and whining, faces fixed like smashed crabs, because someone has the audacity NOT to play FW or something else that's been entirely done to death and forms part of the great pantheon of around a hundred or so records around which their soul world is oriented.

Worse still,  if over the fullness of time you find yourself in the unenviable position of playing records to them then suicidal ideation is a very real possibility I'm afraid. You see, these same good people usually frequent venues where they can ask for absolutely anything - from Don Gardner to Ramsey Lewis or even that old favourite "true love, you know, TRUE LOVE!" Moreover, they fully expect you to play what they ask for - immediately, regardless of what else you're playing, have played or are intent on playing because they didn't / won't know them anyway: "it's all that rare shit and they're rare for a reason..."  - this is usually a reference to something by JJ Barnes, Derek Martin or similar. Be aware that playing what they ask for, immediately, is entirely non negotiable!

This particular challenge is underpinned by the fact that the 'djs' (aka relatives, mates etc) at their 'favourite' venues usually arrive with three cases holding 300 45s each - worth a grand total of about fifty quid. They've got everything those fellas and are of the same ilk. Moreover, it is those very same people who are so fond of the 'willy waving' and 'soul snob' lines. (These cut me to the very quick, as you might expect, but the fact that the irony doesn't resonate with them does offer some consolation in those darker moments when it's all too much). 

One of the other problems seems to me to be the fact that the vast majority of those same people were, in the main, nowhere to be seen between 1982 and 2000. Nonetheless, they have now decided that 'it's a way of life' and take every opportunity to 'show and tell' (which we did at primary school as I recall) anyone who'll listen just how all consuming it is to be 'a soulie': "it's a way of life ... it's what's in the grooves that counts ... you play the records not the labels"

At the end of the day, don't worry too much about OVO or any of that other nonsense; as long as you're having a good time and not bothering me it's all good. 

ps. Oh aye, in the unlikely event that you do encounter any of these folk on your travels I wouldn't worry unduly as they'll get bored with it again quite soon or pack it in because they aren't getting enough attention. I'll still be at it though if you want to talk about soul records, OVO or any of that other nonsense. 

Every ounce of my being says don't too - but I'm glad you did it saved me a job :thumbup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!