soulboy

Northern Soul Snob's

I love this guy!... what a great outlook.. one cool dude(J.B that is... :wave: )

Yes very cool, I remember thinking that when I first saw the interview.

We should also remember that for every ten decent guys/gals who made a record there are a few 'nasties' out there in soulville. Hustlers who want x$ for having a photo taken with them, who are just on the milk and honey treadmill. Think some soul fans are incredible naive and wear the rose tinted glasses when it comes to the 'ins and outs' of the music biz. It certainly wasn't the case that all singers are poor and were ripped off, far from it. Many were paid for the session, and forsake any future rights to royalties etc. Here's $50 for two hours and four tracks, thanks and goodbye.

One of the great things about the scene though is finding a genuine guy - like the late Cal Thomas of the TSU Toronadoes. Genuinly appreciated that people liked his groups music, but wasn't phased about it, didn't want paying for an interview, happy to donate a copy of one of his records "Please heart don't break" for a competition - a cool guy.

Edited by Steve G

Yes very cool, I remember thinking that when I first saw the interview.

We should also remember that for every ten decent guys/gals who made a record there are a few 'nasties' out there in soulville. Hustlers who want x$ for having a photo taken with them, who are just on the milk and honey treadmill. Think some soul fans are incredible naive and wear the rose tinted glasses when it comes to the 'ins and outs' of the music biz. It certainly wasn't the case that all singers are poor and were ripped off, far from it. Many were paid for the session, and forsake any future rights to royalties etc. Here's $50 for two hours and four tracks, thanks and goodbye.

One of the great things about the scene though is finding a genuine guy - like the late Cal Thomas of the TSU Toronadoes. Genuinly appreciated that people liked his groups music, but wasn't phased about it, didn't want paying for an interview, happy to donate a copy of one of his records "Please heart don't break" for a competition - a cool guy.

these guys are 'soul singers' in the purest sense... its not all about the song or the singer but the attitude your right... bit like 'soul fans' you either have it or you dont!

why is it that when reading the posts on events lookbacks and there are two rooms a classic/ oldies main room and a rare/modern room

a lot of people will praise the event with an aside that they didnt care for the main room usually the classic /oldies room and spent most of their time in the other room?

is it no longer cool to do the main room?

why is it that when reading the posts on events lookbacks and there are two rooms a classic/ oldies main room and a rare/modern room

a lot of people will praise the event with an aside that they didnt care for the main room usually the classic /oldies room and spent most of their time in the other room?

its cool to me... i hate some of these modern rooms.. all singalong tunes and swaying side to side... the beat fitting the pace of the average age i guess but a stormin oldies room for me any day!... and before the anslaught i did say i hate SOME of these modern rooms smile.gif x (the ones were they sway side to side or shuffle dance on a carpet, each to their own eh)

Don't think it's a matter of 'cool' or not. Its some punters preference, I guess those who've been around a few years or are nighter regulars want more from a night then the same 100 or so records week in week out. Isn't that what most oldies rooms (note - not all) offer?

well why the aside about didnt do the main room bit from a number of peeps in events lookback

snobbery or wot ?

Does the same go for the the punters who didnt go in the better. oops sorry 'other' room & stayed in the main room :lol: ( :lol: ).

Horses for courses.

Russ

THE OLDIES ROOM

I RARELY(pun) HEAR ANYTHING PLAYED FROM WHEN I STARTED GOING TO NIGHTERS IN A MAIN ROOM, MOST RECORDS ARE JUST THE "CLASSICS" SO AVOID OLDIES NIGHTS, BESIDES THERES SO MUCH BRILLIANT MUSIC OUT THERE TO HEAR :lol:

well why the aside about didnt do the main room bit from a number of peeps in events lookback

snobbery or wot ?

Why would it be snobbery if they say they didn't do the main room - its a choice and an opinion. If I went to a do and the main room was the nostalgia top 100 and the other, as they say was rare soul (IMO Northern Soul) I'd do the same. I've done a few nighters over the years and don't want to hear the same old tunes for the rest of my life. Probebly makes me a snob - I'll suppose I'll have to forge ahead with life, oh the stigma :thumbsup:

Why would it be snobbery if they say they didn't do the main room - its a choice and an opinion. If I went to a do and the main room was the nostalgia top 100 and the other, as they say was rare soul (IMO Northern Soul) I'd do the same. I've done a few nighters over the years and don't want to hear the same old tunes for the rest of my life. Probebly makes me a snob - I'll suppose I'll have to forge ahead with life, oh the stigma smile.gif

You are not getting it Bryney

SNOB = Same Northern Oldies B*ll*cks. Petrhaps we're not the snobs after all :thumbsup::lol:

dont matter to me as to which room people choose to spend their time ,my point is why do some people have to say they didnt do the main room .

I go to many events and very rarely go in the modern/rare /underplayed room but if I post a comment on here about a venue ,it wouldnt enter my head to say I didnt go in the alternative room ; this may seem like nitpicking ,each to their own is what I believe, as have said on here before,but it seems its no longer cool to do the main room IMHO and those that do are the great unwashed whistling.gif

dont matter to me as to which room people choose to spend their time ,my point is why do some people have to say they didnt do the main room .

I go to many events and very rarely go in the modern/rare /underplayed room but if I post a comment on here about a venue ,it wouldnt enter my head to say I didnt go in the alternative room ;  

You've just said you don't! 

People might note their absence from one room or the other for any of a number of reasons, eg.

• To appear cool to people who's opinion they worry about. Insecurity.
  • To imply disapproval of the room they didn't visit or didn't stay in long, without being too critical. Diplomacy.

• To make it clear that their lookback/review isn't comprehensive because of a notable omission, or musical bias, so should be taken with caution by anybody who might be influenced. Good manners.

So, apart from being cynical, your claim that this is behaviour only associated with people who aren't keen on oldies rooms is just plain wrong - I've read plenty of lookback posts implying modern/r&b/underplayed rooms are not to be ventured into for being unlistenable/undanceable/unpopular/pretentious/etc.

Snobbery (ie. judgemental blinkeredness) works both ways.

Edited by spirit

Guest baronsofsoul

these guys are 'soul singers' in the purest sense... its not all about the song or the singer but the attitude your right... bit like 'soul fans' you either have it or you dont!

just read the whole thread am 42 and became single couple of years ago tried the town center scene for one weekend picked up flyer in some pub that was playing motown.went to my first soul venue the next weekend not missed one since.i would just like to say to every single one of you thankyou 10 pages speaks volumes your passion and sure grit and determination over the years has enabled me to find somewhere i call home i live for the weekend.there is a crisp sweet vocal that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end there is a lyric that makes the heart skip a beat and a rhythem that when i'm dancing makes me actually feel like i'm floating an inch off the floor i'm sure that everyone of you feels the same because if you didn't then i wouldn't be sitting here writing this because there would be no scene i've not met a snob once yet just like minded people some with a bigger capacity to do than others i have to applaud the ovo though to me they are the ones that have made all this possible role on friday talc at the ready your all such a great crowd thanks :shades::lol:

just read the whole thread am 42 and became single couple of years ago tried the town center scene for one weekend picked up flyer in some pub that was playing motown.went to my first soul venue the next weekend not missed one since.i would just like to say to every single one of you thankyou 10 pages speaks volumes your passion and sure grit and determination over the years has enabled me to find somewhere i call home i live for the weekend.there is a crisp sweet vocal that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end there is a lyric that makes the heart skip a beat and a rhythem that when i'm dancing makes me actually feel like i'm floating an inch off the floor i'm sure that everyone of you feels the same because if you didn't then i wouldn't be sitting here writing this because there would be no scene i've not met a snob once yet just like minded people some with a bigger capacity to do than others i have to applaud the ovo though to me they are the ones that have made all this possible role on friday talc at the ready your all such a great crowd thanks biggrin.gifthumbup.gif

agree with you 110% mate but sometimes it helps to have a little moan on here coz although its a great scene people have differing opinions on a number of points (nitpickin) :D

I have watched this thread for a while and seen it develop into a Northern soul snobfest brilliant biggrin.gif

A northern soul snob is one who looks down on those who enjoy the nostalgia events .

A northern soul snob is one who refuses to aknowledge anything modern or post 79 .

Which ever side of the fence your on if you are into Northern you are a snob I,m afraid it goes with the teritory . rolleyes.gif

Posted (edited)

Its LIKE when you mention  to someone where your going , LIKE Blackpool tower or Like any big venues Like , they say oh no we dont go there its full of handbaggers , Me personally COULDN'T  careless what people wear or where they choose to go, or how they dance , long as they have an amazing time, life is short, lets all carry on making memories, ✊ , KTF  AND We all love the music , 

Edited by Jayne Houghton

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts