Compliments Interview And Sitting In The Park Music Show

boba

Hi. Today on my radio show I interviewed James Conley, lead singer of the Compliments. James is from the South Side of Chicago and started singing in local groups when he was in high school. Soon after leaving school he formed a group called the Junior Flames; the group performed in local talent shows but never recorded. In 1964 Conley met local producer and record label owner George Redman. George cut a single -- I'll give you true love / If it's love -- on James for his Moneytown records. Conley performed for a year as a solo singer on reviews set up by Redman.

From 1965-1967, Conley sang with a local group the Notations (which predated the Twinight group). After the Notations broke up, Conley formed a group called the Compliments. The Compliments performed local shows and were managed by Marcellous Burke, the uncle of the Five Stairsteps who managed many other local groups (such as the Roe-o-tation, Kaldirons, Vashonettes, etc.). Burke took the Compliments to Johnny Pate, who signed the group to ABC records. The group cut two tracks for ABC -- Beware Beware and Borrow Till Morning -- two nice Chicago sounding cuts. Unfortunately, the Chicago branch of ABC closed before the single was released. ABC gave the group the option of buying their masters. The group bought the rights to their recordings and took the masters to Universal Distributors where they met the Leaner Brothers, who were interested in releasing the record. The Leaners pressed the two tracks on their Midas record label; however, the label soon folded and the record was never distributed. The Compliments tried to promote the record given the few copies they receieved, even appearing on the local Chicago Soul Train on Channel 26. The group soon broke up due to their lack of success.

Throughout the 70s and early 80s Conley performed in local clubs in Chicago, often backed by the Sonics Band. In 1983 Conley released a record a disco single, titled "Limelight", for his own Firefly label. Conley continued to perform in local clubs through the 80s.

You can listen to my interview at the bottom of:

https://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

I also did a music show. You can listen at:

https://www.sittinginthepark.com/3-15-2009.mp3

Playlist follows. As a side note, the phones blew up after I played the

record by Tracey Lavett -- clearly it would have been a hit in Chicago had

it been released here as it has a very Chicago sound. You can also hear

previous shows at: https://www.sittinginthepark.com/shows.htm

Intensions - Love is blind - Moneytown

Jimmy Hayes - As the city sleeps - Commerce

Jeff Dale - Our love will go stronger - Atco

Tracey Lavett - In my great big lonely room - Achillean

Eddie Jefferson - Uh oh (I'm in love again) - Stax

Kings Go Forth - High on your love - Mr. C

Energies - How many tears - Cobra

Benitez and Nebula - I'm so sad - Vaya

Preparations - You don't want me - Jarda

Maxwells - Let's get away - Brigade

Color Us People Band - A day without your love - Lightning

Cold Fire Inc. - I'm gonna love you anyway - Lightin'

Expos - Your best friend and me - Stall

Kenni Woods - That guy is mine - Phillips

thanks,

Bob

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

music + interview, always very educational :D

Cheers,

Melismo

These shows are a must for any soul fan. Just got ipod set up in lorry and I've listened to around 15 interviews the last week (Creations and the Deltas today)....along with loads of music too.

Keep 'em coming Bob and thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Bob!

Don´t know if you spotted my comments

on your Richard Pegue tribute show:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=96490

I enjoyed that show immensely!

Also enjoyed your latest installment,

music + interview, always very educational :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Melismo

thanks for being a regular listener, sorry I didn't reply, stuff has been crazy. I did go to Richard's funeral service the next day, it was pretty nice and all the Chicago DJs showed up. I have some cool interviews scheduled in the next couple of weeks. Thanks.

Social source share

These shows are a must for any soul fan. Just got ipod set up in lorry and I've listened to around 15 interviews the last week (Creations and the Deltas today)....along with loads of music too.

Keep 'em coming Bob and thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Just two days ago I found Charles Knox, the other Creation / Contributor of Soul, he confirmed the story about sleeping under the air conditioner and the brothers of soul recording. The real creations are the high voices on the record that sound like girls. They also back a lot of Chicago Giant productions, for example, they are the group on Bobby Hutton's Come See What's Left of Me. Thanks.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Been listening to Bobs show on a regular basis and i do what Chlaky does and put them on my Ipod,this info that Boba broadcast's is defo a must for the soulfan. Question For Boba..When you interview These Artist's do you get any Photo's of them for yourself,would be nice to see you and your Guest's in the Studio. I wait in anticipation. Graham.

Social source share

Been listening to Bobs show on a regular basis and i do what Chlaky does and put them on my Ipod,this info that Boba broadcast's is defo a must for the soulfan. Question For Boba..When you interview These Artist's do you get any Photo's of them for yourself,would be nice to see you and your Guest's in the Studio. I wait in anticipation. Graham.

for every group i talk to I try to get a photo of them from back in the day, long term I want to do a book about chicago soul groups and include as many photos as I can. i'm not sure if you want to see me, plus it's less flattering to the artists to show them now versus then, but I can try to get someone to take a photo and send it to you. thanks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert