How Much Longer Has Northern Soul Got?

After reading the Russ W thread and looking back at lots of other threads, I wonder just what will surivive of Northern Soul after everyone on this forum is either senile or pushing up daisies?

It's my belief that the music will survive forever. That is the good sounds that have nothing to do with nostalgia or "you had to be there to understand"" mentality will. The music will be listened to but rarely danced to. How many current lovers of blues do juke joint jiving?

Social source share

• Replies 48
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Really Pikey, I woudn't care less if the scene was dead. BTW, i just recently discovered this music, never been to Wigan or Torch.. never been to England actually.. but I do love the music!

Do you recognize how many people are still listening to Reggae, Punk and how many artists making money by covering 60's music? A lot I tell you. Actually every style is going in circles and musicians discovering new and old music at the same time.

So don't worry about it, soul ain't dead and it won't happen :thumbsup:

Social source share

Do a straw poll on here and I think that most people would just squeeze into the under 40s.....

Lets take bets on whether mr Joiner had a long break from the scene, I'd say early 80s to late 90s....

link

What odds you offering Joe?

Betting?

Been there done that.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Do a straw poll on here and I think that most people would just squeeze into the under 40s.....

link

As long as we all remember to apologise afterwards for being born after 1965... I blame our parents :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

i think that it will die if ppl under 40 pretend they flipping know it

link

thumbsup.gifyes.gif That's really funny that is :lol::yes:

Jamie (A Soulless 31) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

I'm 40 and now confused who I should be falling out with or having a love in with!

link

Well you can't have it both ways Simon, it's either us or him yes.gif:thumbsup::lol:

Jamie thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest hammy

link

Dave Flynn

Andy Dyson

Chalky

All under 40 - and all very respected across the scene for their knowledge and commitment to the scene.

Are the above included in your rant ?

Hammy

Social source share

Well you can't have it both ways Simon, it's either us or him  yes.gif   :thumbsup:   :lol:

Jamie  thumbsup.gif

link

I depends on which ones have young good-looking, single, female friends who have a perchant for 40 year-old rotund balding blokes with average record collections!

Social source share

I depends on which ones have young  good-looking, single, female friends  who have a perchant for 40 year-old rotund balding blokes with average record collections!

link

I like the use of the word rotund thumbsup.gif just one more time, rotund yes.gif

Okay, slipping back on topic can anyone be arsed to go back and find the "How long will NS scene last" thread from the last time it was done. A short time ago it seems ... :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

know what! its simple you go out week in week out listening/ dancing/ colecting what you love! SOUL tell you what im fucking glad im not in that blinkered catagory :thumbsup: fine if you want the northern soul to die with you :graynone: so why dont we know it???

a know it all born in 1980 thumbsup.gif

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Baz 1980 that makes you 25... bloody hell you've had a hard life.. thumbsup.gif   yes.gif   :lol:

link

:yes::D:D

personly i blame them Vanners enough to age any one :thumbsup:

Social source share

After reading the Russ W thread and looking back at  lots of other threads, I wonder just what will surivive of Northern Soul after everyone on this forum is either  senile  or pushing up daisies?

It's my belief that the music will survive forever. That is the good sounds that have nothing to do with nostalgia or "you had to be there to understand"" mentality will. The music will be listened to but rarely danced to. How many current lovers of blues do juke joint jiving?

link

I once had dream that I went to the Natural History Museum and instead of fossils and stuff, the displays were full of Northern 45s.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I once had dream that I went to the Natural History Museum and instead of fossils and stuff, the displays were full of Northern 45s.

link

i'm surprised by that .....i'd have thought it would have been some of the dj's :thumbsup:

Davie

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

5 years max in my opinion.....then re-emerge in a new guise with a twist

just an opinion

Davie

Social source share

just an opinion

Davie

link

no matter what im here for life :thumbsup:

aint nothing gonna stop me thumbsup.gif

Social source share

just an opinion

Davie

link

You youngsters know nowt. thumbsup.gif

It's already re-emerged and it's called the nostalgia soul scence :thumbsup:

Gaye

Social source share

How long have we got left? Not long, a rouge soul fan is gonna kill us all in our beds!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :ohmy:

link

do you mean rogue ian

or maybe you do mean rouge??

Social source share

do you mean rogue ian

or maybe you do mean rouge??

link

I do, I did. Too clever for my own britches. Spelt correctly and then don't pay attention with the spellchecker :ohmy:

ps, should probably be breeches. I should turn in I think. lol

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

How long have we got left? Not long, a rouge soul fan is gonna kill us all in our beds!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :ohmy:

link

Oh no attacked by Julian Clairy whilst we sleep :D

Social source share

I do, I did.  Too clever for my own britches.  Spelt correctly and then don't pay attention with the spelchecker :ohmy:

ps, should probably be breeches.  I should turn in I think. lol

link

...but definately spellchecker...turn it on mate :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!