Holland Dozier Holland Get Songwriters Award

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

In the exclusive video below, you can see the trio reunite for the first time in nearly 40 years to discuss old music, including the classic Supremes tune "You Keep Me Hangin' On."

https://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/gannett-detroit-freep-008-pub01-live/current/launch.html?maven_playerId=motownat50&maven_referralObject=992773201

HDH are going to get honoured....read on:

Motown songwriting team Holland-Dozier-Holland (Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland) will receive the prestigious Johnny Mercer Award at the 2009 Songwriters Hall of Fame Awards dinner on June 18 at the New York Marriott Marquis Hotel.

Holland-Dozier-Holland was often credited with developing the Motown Sound, writing songs for the Supremes, the Four Tops and Marvin Gaye, among other Motown artists.

"Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier and Eddie Holland's massive stream of classic songs changed the face of popular music in a way that has endured, creating a style that is highly influential and relevant today," the Songwriters Hall of Fame chairman/CEO Hal David said in a statement. "The Songwriters Hall of Fame is proud to bestow our prestigious Johnny Mercer Award upon this groundbreaking team."

Among the songs that Holland-Dozier-Holland wrote and produced are "Where Did Our Love Go?" "Baby, I Need Your Loving," "You Can't Hurry Love," Stop In The Name Of Love," "Baby Love," "Can't Hurry Love," "Reflections," "You Keep Me Hanging On" "Nowhere To Run," "Same Old Song," "Can't Help Myself," "Heatwave," "Quicksand," and "Jimmy Mack."

In total, the team wrote 70 Top 10 songs from 1962-1967 including 50 #1 hits, at one point hitting the top of the charts 13 times in a row, according to the press release announcing the award.

The Johnny Mercer Award is exclusively reserved for a songwriter who has already been inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in a prior year, and whose body of work is of such high quality and impact, that it upholds the gold standard set by the legendary Johnny Mercer.

About time biggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 1
  • Views 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!