Notts Palais Reunion Cancelled ?

Suinoz

Sadly the event has been cancelled but how many true soulies out there would want it to still go ahead even without the live artists ?? C'mon guy's there ain't much else happening that Monday. I'm on my way from OZ despite the bad news. No snidey replies please to a legitimate question. Tony T BONE. OZ. K.T.F.

Social source share

• Replies 116
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Sadly the event has been cancelled but how many true soulies out there would want it to still go ahead even without the live artists ?? C'mon guy's there ain't much else happening that Monday. I'm on my way from OZ despite the bad news. No snidey replies please to a legitimate question. Tony T BONE. OZ. K.T.F.

Im with you on that one Tony

Social source share

Im with you on that one Tony

Thanks Dawn, IT'S JUST GOTTA HAPPEN. The place holds so may fond memories for so many people and we know by the amount of looky looky's on the original thread that enough people were interested to make it a memeorable dayer. I'm 12000 miles away so can't do much from this end, BUT THERE HAS GOT TO BE SOMEONE IN THE U.K. THAT WILL ENSURE THE EVENT GOES AHEAD. The venue has been booked anyway so let it happen. Stay in touch however i expect there will be a lot of replies to my question once evryone wakes up and looks on S.S. Stay soulful, see yas in a couple of weeks. Tony T.BONE. K.T.F.

Social source share

Thanks Dawn, IT'S JUST GOTTA HAPPEN. The place holds so may fond memories for so many people and we know by the amount of looky looky's on the original thread that enough people were interested to make it a memeorable dayer. I'm 12000 miles away so can't do much from this end, BUT THERE HAS GOT TO BE SOMEONE IN THE U.K. THAT WILL ENSURE THE EVENT GOES AHEAD. The venue has been booked anyway so let it happen. Stay in touch however i expect there will be a lot of replies to my question once evryone wakes up and looks on S.S. Stay soulful, see yas in a couple of weeks. Tony T.BONE. K.T.F.

Well Tony lets hope for once in this strange world of ours that when they all wake up, they get behind this, and do what we're renowned for.

12000 miles is one hell of a dedication so come on soul people if he can do it Im sure we can.

Social source share

Well Tony lets hope for once in this strange world of ours that when they all wake up, they get behind this, and do what we're renowned for.

12000 miles is one hell of a dedication so come on soul people if he can do it Im sure we can.

Thing is Dawn i went to most of the Palais alldayers in the 70's when it was ' THE ' best alldayer venue of that era so when i was asked to guest deejay at the reunion there was no hesitation in saying a big YES and booking my flights and accomodation. I'm originally a Derby lad so stand by my word, i'm also a true soulie through and through. I'm still coming over as i have other guest spots offered to me BUT i still want the Palais reunion to go ahead. I run soul nights over here so i know how hard it is to promote and IF ONLY i lived a bit closer would have no hesitation in offering to help Tracy and Andy with their big day. Anyway everything is crossed in hope someone sees some bloody sense. C'MON !!!! Tony T BONE. OZ.

Social source share

Thing is Dawn i went to most of the Palais alldayers in the 70's when it was ' THE ' best alldayer venue of that era so when i was asked to guest deejay at the reunion there was no hesitation in saying a big YES and booking my flights and accomodation. I'm originally a Derby lad so stand by my word, i'm also a true soulie through and through. I'm still coming over as i have other guest spots offered to me BUT i still want the Palais reunion to go ahead. I run soul nights over here so i know how hard it is to promote and IF ONLY i lived a bit closer would have no hesitation in offering to help Tracy and Andy with their big day. Anyway everything is crossed in hope someone sees some bloody sense. C'MON !!!! Tony T BONE. OZ.
Social source share

Whoever takes this on has a "uphill battle"

a)Its GOT to be in the original building

b)The owners have been let down by poor promotion so will take some convincing

c)Unless you can unite ALL the various soul clubs in Notts behind you-you've no chance.

d)You have only 3 Weeks to do it

e) I remember the original "Palaise Reunion" post Promoters with DEEP POCKETS required ! Without a good backer there's a chance to loose tons of £s

f) You need 700 to 1,000 people to make this work -are they there ?

Answers on a Postcard please

Rob & Karen

Social source share

c)Unless you can unite ALL the various soul clubs in Notts behind you-you've no chance.

e) I remember the original "Palaise Reunion" post Promoters with DEEP POCKETS required ! Without a good backer there's a chance to loose tons of £s

Rob & Karen

Hiya Rob and Karen. agree with everything you say, the thing is the venue has been booked, it's been advertised for at least the last 6 months, the tickets are sitting there albeit with the artists name on them so whats stopping someone with the balls, stepping in and running it. I feel the main problem was the possible lack of the full deposit for the venue. Not really the organisers fault, just that the timing was'nt quite right. Don't you think there has been enough interest in the dayer, inspite of who was organising it ?? I reckon there are at least 800 true soulies out there that would attend it. Just over 3 weeks to go yes, so lets see how many positive replies we get to this thread. I don't know what the cost is to hire the Oceana but surely 800 at 10 pounds each would cover it, plus they get the bar takings as well. Common sense ???????????

Be interested in your further thoughts, i for one was really looking forward to it even before i knew they were planning to get live acts. Stay soulful, Tony T BONE. OZ.

Social source share

Hiya Rob and Karen. agree with everything you say, the thing is the venue has been booked, it's been advertised for at least the last 6 months, the tickets are sitting there albeit with the artists name on them so whats stopping someone with the balls, stepping in and running it. I feel the main problem was the possible lack of the full deposit for the venue. Not really the organisers fault, just that the timing was'nt quite right. Don't you think there has been enough interest in the dayer, inspite of who was organising it ?? I reckon there are at least 800 true soulies out there that would attend it. Just over 3 weeks to go yes, so lets see how many positive replies we get to this thread. I don't know what the cost is to hire the Oceana but surely 800 at 10 pounds each would cover it, plus they get the bar takings as well. Common sense ???????????

Be interested in your further thoughts, i for one was really looking forward to it even before i knew they were planning to get live acts. Stay soulful, Tony T BONE. OZ.

Its a lot to take on for anyone Tony, but if EVERYONE pulled together it could be done, however

Tickets and Northern fans don't mix, for day events that is, ask ANY promoter on here (unless its the TORCH) and "A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" as I'm sure Andy and Tracey have found out.

A lot of people would have to put their feet where their mouths are so to speak.

Interesting though....can it be done "word of mouth & Internet only ?"

We ran an alldayer in Nottingham with Richie Pitts a very strong DJ line up 2 rooms etc at Cabaret in the City centre about 3 years ago.

WE LOST £500 on the day and most of the DJs took a pay cut to help us out laugh.gif

never mind we had a great day !

Rob & Karen

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

Four of us travelling from cornwall, booked into hotel for 2 nights, we were really looking forward to it, had no correspondence from organisers, so where does it say its cancelled, like to read it for myself .

such a shame really

Jo

Social source share

I don't think you have a chance of getting 800 people for an all dayer on a weekend when there are at least two niters in the two nights before. Think 300 and it's probably more reaistic

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Oceana still have tickets up for sale at £15.00 unsure.gif So may not take a lot of convincing for this to go ahead!

Steve J

Social source share

Four of us travelling from cornwall, booked into hotel for 2 nights, we were really looking forward to it, had no correspondence from organisers, so where does it say its cancelled, like to read it for myself .

such a shame really

Jo

Here you go

TRANDY PROMOTIONS

Would like to issue the following statement...

It is with great disappointment and regret that we have had to take the decision to announce the cancellation of "The Northern Soul & Motown" All-dayer featuring "LITTLE ANTHONY & THE IMPERIALS" & "RUBY ANDREWS" Scheduled for "Monday 13th April 2009" due to circumstances beyond our control... We would also like to add that this was in no way related to any form of breakdown between ourselves & the aforementioned artistes...

The non appearance is a result of the cancellation of the event...

We would like to apologise to all who have supported us on this venture & in particular all those who have purchased tickets... A full refund will be given upon receipt of returned tickets... please email palaisevent@live.co.uk for further details of how/where to obtain refunds...

Once again we deeply apologise for inconvenience caused to all concerned....

We particularly offer our most sincere apologies to "RUBY ANDREWS" & "LITTLE ANTHONY & THE IMPERIALS" Who from the offset have been pillars of support to us...

Thank-you Andy / Tracey

There is also this e-mail from LA agents

SORRY - NO. THE PEOPLE PUTTING THIS TOGETHER COULD NOT COME UP WITH PAYMENT FOR THE GIG. Brenda Collins - Executive Admin

LITTLE ANTHONY AND THE IMPERIALS In a message dated 3/18/2009 1:23:21 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, :

Hi guys

there is a lot of speculation about a gig in Nottingham England around the 13th April 2009
Simple question -no politics or hidden agenda ARE YOU APPEARING AT THIS GIG ?
YES or NO

SORRY - NO. THE PEOPLE PUTTING THIS TOGETHER COULD NOT COME UP WITH PAYMENT FOR THE GIG.
Brenda Collins - Executive Admin

LITTLE ANTHONY AND THE IMPERIALS

There is the answer in Black , white and RED
copied and pasted from an e-mail I received.
Nothing to do with the Venue cancelling

Rob

Hope that helps

Rob

Social source share

Didn't mean that in a bad way at all.

The 'Dilly Dally' will always remind of Pete Lawson - THE icon.

Firstly....

The revolving dancefloor does not exist!(Barry)

Rob.. Yes ...you know all the ins and outs of running a venue/event like this and its pitfalls...I consider yourself and Kev Roberts 2 of the most successful promoters in the country who runs successful venues /weekenders where you manage to gather large numbers.

Who in these times can afford a loss financially?....not many and I cant blame anyone for not wanting a loss financially, you have to make a little something back for all the hard work put into these events

As I stated last night on the other thread ...it has to be this venue...its all about the venue ...then the djs and the people who visited like Tony Dawn IanP and myself to name but a few

And yes I did say a promoter with big wallets well done Rob for remembering ..it seems such a long time ago now....I still think it could be done with profit ...without the high profile artistes to keep overheads down

I have no doubt the amount of stress that Tracey and Andy will have come under would have been immense and that can be enough on its own judging by the way the threads went

I've never seen you or Kev have to come on this forum and explain the ins and outs of a dogs arsehole BEFORE the event so why should any other promoters have to do so??

I will still say thank you to Tracey and Andy who tried so very hard to get this together.... it took balls!!!!!

What it would need now is a collaboration between Tracey and Andy and any newcomers to get the fine details to see if it could be salvaged.

My advice to anyone who picks up the pieces is play your cards close to your chest until all details are finalised as folks will pick it to pieces before the day even arrives

I think it was extemely bad taste of other folks to come on these forums and lay bare the financial details of someone elses event.

STILL KTF Mand

Social source share

've never seen you or Kev have to come on this forum and explain the ins and outs of a dogs arsehole BEFORE the event so why should any other promoters have to do so??

Mandy

only joined in to offer advice for T & A to explain themselves to people such as yourself who look like loosing money on travel & hotels etc.

I had DOZENS of PMs over the last 3 months aking who the promoters were -even when Falcons were mentioned.

It boils down to biting off more than you can chew and I feel deeply sorry for all involed both promoters and punters.

I have pasted an email reply from LAs agents above-which tells a different tale to the Statment issued-which says the event was cancelled. Chicken and Egg ?

Sorry but the truth will out in the end.

Hope it happens for you all

Rob biggrin.gif

Social source share

I have no doubt the amount of stress that Tracey and Andy will have come under would have been immense and that can be enough on its own judging by the way the threads went

Mandy, I think Andy and Tracey brought a lot of that bad feeling on themselves.

They ignored people's questions, couldn't be arsed to come on here and when they did were mighty rude at times.

I'm sorry, but if you want people to hand over their hard earned cash, good communication is what they expect in return.

After all, isn't that what promoting is all about?

Social source share

Its a lot to take on for anyone Tony, but if EVERYONE pulled together it could be done, however

Tickets and Northern fans don't mix, for day events that is, ask ANY promoter on here (unless its the TORCH) and "A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush" as I'm sure Andy and Tracey have found out.

A lot of people would have to put their feet where their mouths are so to speak.

Interesting though....can it be done "word of mouth & Internet only ?"

We ran an alldayer in Nottingham with Richie Pitts a very strong DJ line up 2 rooms etc at Cabaret in the City centre about 3 years ago.

WE LOST £500 on the day and most of the DJs took a pay cut to help us out laugh.gif

never mind we had a great day !

Rob & Karen

Unfortunately , promoting is a gamble - a gamble you must be prepared to take .

Paul , Jez and myself have been very fortunate in promoting THE TORCH REUNION .

Believe me it was a gamble , as we did not know - and had severe doubts at the start - that getting like minded people like ourselves , together again to clebrate the music played at a venue that closed 36 years ago , would be a success or a failure , Thankfully it has been a success , with people wanting to join three old men in that celebration .

We are totally astounded that we have sold all the ticket allocation within five weeks of announcing it , and more to the point , we still have seven months to go .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

I admire you people being positive on this but I really think trying to carry on would be a disaster.

There's been too much controversy and bad feeling generated and alot will just turn their back on it even if it goes ahead.

Rob Wigley's earlier post sums it up

Tracey and Andy were unfotunately out of their depth taking on a project of this size and the result was inevitable IMO

Lets just put the whole thing to bed apart from people getting their money back

Social source share

Why not have a poll?

Yes yes.gif

No :D

Couldn't give a rats arse :D

Some of us do give a rats arse Joan thats the point and we did ask for no snide Comments ...you have stated your feelings from the getgo and didnt want a ticket so why keep coming on and posting IF you're not interested? your friends will get their money back so that should really be the end of it for you ....

I put my money where my mouth was and took the risk along with lots of other folks

I for one would vote YES! go ahead IF and only IF theres anyone out there interested in this event going ahead

Ive had txts this morning and the general gist was go ahead without the artistes

Steve if no one puts themselves forward that will be the end of it ...its a shame tho

Mand

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Rob & Karen

That reminded me a bit of the speech in The Blues Brothers where they have to get all that money to stop the orphanage from being closed. :D

In answer to f) as Dave has already mentioned, Easter weekend has got Rugby, The Marrs Bar, Crossfire, Morcombe & Derby (apologies for any missed!) on so people may be a bit thinly spread! ph34r.gif

Social source share

Some of us do give a rats arse Joan thats the point and we did ask for no snide Comments ...you have stated your feelings from the getgo and didnt want a ticket so why keep coming on and posting IF you're not interested? your friends will get their money back so that should really be the end of it for you ....

I put my money where my mouth was and took the risk along with lots of other folks

I for one would vote YES! go ahead IF and only IF theres anyone out there interested in this event going ahead

Ive had txts this morning and the general gist was go ahead without the artistes

Steve if no one puts themselves forward that will be the end of it ...its a shame tho

Mand

Good for you Mandy! Nice post.

For some time it seems there are some who were never going to attend, yet have wished thiis event to fail.

Sad.

Social source share

That reminded me a bit of the speech in The Blues Brothers where they have to get all that money to stop the orphanage from being closed. :D

In answer to f) as Dave has already mentioned, Easter weekend has got Rugby, The Marrs Bar, Crossfire, Morcombe & Derby (apologies for any missed!) on so people may be a bit thinly spread! ph34r.gif

These days people are always a bit thinly spread. :D

Social source share

It's hard to know which thread to leave a comment on for this one. I think lot's of us should take time to draw breath and think through the implications. I've never promoted a large scale event (I would take any advice Rob Wigley had to offer though if I was ever to be so daft as to try) but I imagine the only people who could salvage a dayer without the artists at Oceana/Palais would be Tracy and Andy. I don't see how anyone else could get through contractual agreements with the club management in taking it over, let alone all the personal agreements with tickets purchased under different assumptions. I know they are assumptions and not binding as no artists appear on the ticket.

Right now I have to feel for Tracy and Andy, acknowledging Joan's valid point that they didn't do themselves favours on here at times. Talking to them in person you couldn't doubt their enthusiasm, but if enthusiasm was enough then Forest wouldn't be back in the bottom 3!

I think it could only be Tracy and Andy who could continue at this late stage with an all-dayer, and how I presume they feel now I would think that quite unlikely. One part of my little brain thinks it could be the best thing they could do for their own sense of esteem, but they'd need the hide of a rhino to start with.

Best wishes to them both when they surface . . . . . . and perhaps a sorry to all the people making expensive plans.

Social source share

It's hard to know which thread to leave a comment on for this one. I think lot's of us should take time to draw breath and think through the implications. I've never promoted a large scale event (I would take any advice Rob Wigley had to offer though if I was ever to be so daft as to try) but I imagine the only people who could salvage a dayer without the artists at Oceana/Palais would be Tracy and Andy. I don't see how anyone else could get through contractual agreements with the club management in taking it over, let alone all the personal agreements with tickets purchased under different assumptions. I know they are assumptions and not binding as no artists appear on the ticket.

Right now I have to feel for Tracy and Andy, acknowledging Joan's valid point that they didn't do themselves favours on here at times. Talking to them in person you couldn't doubt their enthusiasm, but if enthusiasm was enough then Forest wouldn't be back in the bottom 3!

I think it could only be Tracy and Andy who could continue at this late stage with an all-dayer, and how I presume they feel now I would think that quite unlikely. One part of my little brain thinks it could be the best thing they could do for their own sense of esteem, but they'd need the hide of a rhino to start with.

Best wishes to them both when they surface . . . . . . and perhaps a sorry to all the people making expensive plans.

Shit post mate, but I understand you spend time with that Kev H... so it's understandable!

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

These days people are always a bit thinly spread. :D

You're not wrong! I do feel sorry for the promoters & the people who bought tickets for Notts. I never went (being just a twinkle in my dads eye at the time) but i did follow the thread & there seemed to be a lot of excitement surrounding the event. If somebody could pull off a dayer there it'd probably be fantastic! biggrin.gif

Social source share

Shit post mate, but I understand you spend time with that Kev H... so it's understandable!

rolleyes.gif eeerrrm, glad I made a contribution. Any particular point of it shit? Don't think there's anything to be gained from hoping someone will appear to rescue this, just wishful thinking without much thought in my shit opinion.

Social source share

've never seen you or Kev have to come on this forum and explain the ins and outs of a dogs arsehole BEFORE the event so why should any other promoters have to do so??

Mandy

only joined in to offer advice for T & A to explain themselves to people such as yourself who look like loosing money on travel & hotels etc.

I had DOZENS of PMs over the last 3 months aking who the promoters were -even when Falcons were mentioned.

It boils down to biting off more than you can chew and I feel deeply sorry for all involed both promoters and punters.

I have pasted an email reply from LAs agents above-which tells a different tale to the Statment issued-which says the event was cancelled. Chicken and Egg ?

Sorry but the truth will out in the end.

Hope it happens for you all

Rob biggrin.gif

Hi Rob ...

I have the utmost respect for promoters such as yourselves ...it must be a strategic nightmare getting one of these things together

and thanks for the valid input.

I know that only T and A will have the answers for ticket holders

I took the risk by buying my tickets and knew they weren't promoters ..they stated that from the start

And I too feel very gutted for those who have made arrangements. :D

Social source share

rolleyes.gif eeerrrm, glad I made a contribution. Any particular point of it shit? Don't think there's anything to be gained from hoping someone will appear to rescue this, just wishful thinking without much thought in my shit opinion.

Dave thats a bit harsh :D

I thought Dean made some valid points ...and whats up with Kev H ??? :D

Social source share

I'm sorry?

I definitely was going to go when it was the Falcons who were appearing live.

When I enquired about whether they were still going to be appearing what I got from Tracey was rolleyes.gif:D:D

What do you call that if not a snide post?

I posted afterwards because I was asked to by a friend who is not a member on here.

If the promoters had come on and answered my questions I wouldn't have had to keep on posting would I?

I wasn't aware that only those who had purchased tickets were allowed to post.

Social source share

I'm sorry?

When I enquired about whether they were still going to be appearing what I got from Tracey was rolleyes.gif:D:D

I posted afterwards because I was asked to by a friend who is not a member on here.

If the promoters had come on and answered my questions I wouldn't have had to keep on posting would I?

So you were intending to go to this event (event rather than V E N U E), were you Joan?

Social source share

The bit about Kev is right Dave ph34r.gif but you're out of order calling someones post shit

There's been enough shit posted on here about this, lets not get into a slanging match about people expressing valid opinions

Social source share

Guest ruppy

sorry to here the bad news,met up with Ruby Andrerws in chicago ,she was looking forward to coming over

HALFTIME ORANGE,LEICESTER.ITS BACK,FRIDAY MAY 1ST,8PM TILL 230AM.NEXT DOOR TO LEICESTER FC,TWO ROOM EVENT

DJS IN THE NORTHERN ROOM,MICK H,NEIL RUSHTON,ALY MAYER,MARK FREESTONE,IAN GEE,

R&B ROOM,ANDY POLARD,CIRO,CLANGER,DAWN CARMEN,BISH

MORE INFO CONTACT MICK 07968030464 ANDY 07710099569

Social source share

The bit about Kev is right Dave ph34r.gif but you're out of order calling someones post shit

There's been enough shit posted on here about this, lets not get into a slanging match about people expressing valid opinions

OK Steve.. sorry.

I am aware that there has been enough shit posted about this event. More than aware!

I obviously misjudged the tone of my post.

Social source share

I'm sorry?

Joan

You seem to be going round in circles..

You have stated the above a few times now about not being allowed to post yet no one has stopped you have they?

I havent replied to your posts because I dont have the answers you're looking for.

Your posts have come over as a bit on the agressive side at times

There are phone numbers and contact details for those who want refunds (your friends)

I'm sorry you wont be seeing the falcons if you were looking forward to it.

Social source share

I was going to go when the Falcon's were on.

The event or the venue didn't really come into it.

So why didn't you give up on the *terrier shaking a bone* act when it was announced that The Falcons would not appear?

Social source share

Joan

You seem to be going round in circles..

You have stated the above a few times now about not being allowed to post yet no one has stopped you have they?

I havent replied to your posts because I dont have the answers you're looking for.

Your posts have come over as a bit on the agressive side at times

There are phone numbers and contact details for those who want refunds (your friends)

I'm sorry you wont be seeing the falcons if you were looking forward to it.

If my posts came across that way it was because people who didn't have a clue what was going on were coming on and posting on behalf of the organisers.

Talk about frustrating frusty2.gif

Social source share

So why didn't you give up on the *terrier shaking a bone* act when it was announced that The Falcons would not appear?

Errmm... let me see g.gif

Could have had something to do with the fact that perfectly reasonable questions weren't being answered.

If they had been I wouldn't have had to keep asking would I?

Social source share

Errmm... let me see g.gif

Could have had something to do with the fact that perfectly reasonable questions weren't being answered.

If they had been I wouldn't have had to keep asking would I?

I doubt any "perfectly reasonable questions" were being asked by your-good-soulful-self.

I've got a lamb shoulder bone. Interested? :D

Social source share