Sussex Soul Club

A HUGE thank you to all attendees of last night's Sussex Soul Club - it was a rather special night! I thought all of our DJs played exceptional sets and showed once more that a diverse spectrum of Soul music can be appreciated on just the one floor, which is very encouraging :lol:

On a personal note, I like to thank Moldie up front for doing a stella job at such short notice - Chris Thorley had been taken ill the day of the event & Mick generously offered to stand in. All of us at SSC would like to wish Chris a speedy recovery & hope that if you're reading this, Chris we'd love to get you up on our decks just as soon as your feeling better.

Manus played some outstanding, heavyweight soul, which for me was the equivalent of going back to a higher-level Soul school - so many quality rarerities which clearly illustrated the depth of a very prized collection thumbup.gif

Following on from his success @Bisley, Paul Thrower turned in yet another impressive session which moved the crowd to a euphoric end to a great night.

And Moldie was the consumate professional - pleasing the crowd with his carefully selected gems & slick presentation.

Newman as always did the business and as for myself, I had one of the most enjoyable nights I can remember in quite some time.

The sound system proved superb & for anyone who may have noticed, we will have that mike sorted for our next do in May. I actually had all the necessary equipment with me, only it took 4hrs this time to get down from town due to some mad traffic from the Rugby :lol: As with all new things, it takes a moment to teeth out these kind of blips but thought overall it sounded pretty damn hefty & clear ..& it was only on volume 4 of 10 :P

Lastly, if anyone has any pics from the night you'd care to share for our website, I'd be most oblidged. I did take several on my mobile but for some reason [my inept understanding of its workings] mine are all a bit dark & moody :ohmy:

Just drop me a pm & or email me direct: info@sussexsoulclub.co.uk

So roll on our next party on May 2nd - guests will be the mighty Steve Csordas & his Lordship, Steve Clancy.

Don't miss out - it promises to be another cracker :lol:

Steve.

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest east rob

A HUGE thank you to all attendees of last night's Sussex Soul Club - it was a rather special night! I thought all of our DJs played exceptional sets and showed once more that a diverse spectrum of Soul music can be appreciated on just the one floor, which is very encouraging :lol:

On a personal note, I like to thank Moldie up front for doing a stella job at such short notice - Chris Thorley had been taken ill the day of the event & Mick generously offered to stand in. All of us at SSC would like to wish Chris a speedy recovery & hope that if you're reading this, Chris we'd love to get you up on our decks just as soon as your feeling better.

Manus played some outstanding, heavyweight soul, which for me was the equivalent of going back to a higher-level Soul school - so many quality rarerities which clearly illustrated the depth of a very prized collection :D

Following on from his success @Bisley, Paul Thrower turned in yet another impressive session which moved the crowd to a euphoric end to a great night.

And Moldie was the consumate professional - pleasing the crowd with his carefully selected gems & slick presentation.

Newman as always did the business and as for myself, I had one of the most enjoyable nights I can remember in quite some time.

The sound system proved superb & for anyone who may have noticed, we will have that mike sorted for our next do in May. I actually had all the necessary equipment with me, only it took 4hrs this time to get down from town due to some mad traffic from the Rugby :lol: As with all new things, it takes a moment to teeth out these kind of blips but thought overall it sounded pretty damn hefty & clear ..& it was only on volume 4 of 10 :lol:

Lastly, if anyone has any pics from the night you'd care to share for our website, I'd be most oblidged. I did take several on my mobile but for some reason [my inept understanding of its workings] mine are all a bit dark & moody :wicked:

So roll on our next party on May 2nd - guests will be the mighty Steve Csordas & his Lordship, Steve Clancy.

Don't miss out - it promises to be another cracker :thumbup:

Steve.

thanks to everyone at sussex soul soul club for a great night. nice venue,+ great sounds,+ friendly crowd= great night!

first visit, wont be our last! next time we wont forget the bottle opener :thumbup:

cheers,rob & chris, eastbourne

Edited by east rob

thanks to everyone at sussex soul soul club for a great night. nice venue,+ great sounds,+ friendly crowd= great night!

first visit, wont be our last! next time we wont forget the bottle opener :wicked:

cheers,rob & chris, eastbourne

You're welcome, Rob & thanks to the both of you for coming all that way.

ps - you only had to ask & I could have got you that opener :lol:

Hope to see you both, May 2nd for some more!

Guest BintofSoul

Sis & I had an excellent time! Great venue, brillant eclectic mix of soul music, lovely friendly people & great atmosphere & vibe - all for 4 squids! Great to see so many soulful friends, Theresa & Denis, Manus (great set BTW), Linda, Paddy & Di, Paddy S, Colin & Rose & the guy from Scarborough whose name I can't remember! Bringing our own booze :lol: (and crisps, cake & sausie rolls!) made for a very cost effective night out. Splendid! I'm really looking forward to the next event :wicked: .

Steve I've added some pic's to my gallery. You are welcome to use them. Paddy Rozier has also added quite a few on Facebook.

Nicki XXXX

Sis & I had an excellent time! Great venue, brillant eclectic mix of soul music, lovely friendly people & great atmosphere & vibe - all for 4 squids! Great to see so many soulful friends, Theresa & Denis, Manus (great set BTW), Linda, Paddy & Di, Paddy S, Colin & Rose & the guy from Scarborough whose name I can't remember! Bringing our own booze :lol: (and crisps, cake & sausie rolls!) made for a very cost effective night out. Splendid! I'm really looking forward to the next event :lol: .

Steve I've added some pic's to my gallery. You are welcome to use them. Paddy Rozier has also added quite a few on Facebook.

Nicki XXXX

Hi Nikki,

many thanks for the kind words & for making the journey down to our do. I will definitely take you up on your kind offer re the pics & will post them to our website & Facebook group if that's ok with you. Only 1.5 months to wait for the next one, then it's 1 a month for the rest of the year :D

IMHO, the positives from not having a bar far outweigh any negatives and all go towards helping fight the nasty old recession :wicked:

Steve.

A HUGE thank you to all attendees of last night's Sussex Soul Club - it was a rather special night! I thought all of our DJs played exceptional sets and showed once more that a diverse spectrum of Soul music can be appreciated on just the one floor, which is very encouraging :D

Manus played some outstanding, heavyweight soul, which for me was the equivalent of going back to a higher-level Soul school - so many quality rarerities which clearly illustrated the depth of a very prized collection :thumbsup:

The sound system proved superb & for anyone who may have noticed, we will have that mike sorted for our next do in May. I actually had all the necessary equipment with me, only it took 4hrs this time to get down from town due to some mad traffic from the Rugby :ohmy: As with all new things, it takes a moment to teeth out these kind of blips but thought overall it sounded pretty damn hefty & clear ..& it was only on volume 4 of 10 :wicked:

Lastly, if anyone has any pics from the night you'd care to share for our website, I'd be most oblidged. I did take several on my mobile but for some reason [my inept understanding of its workings] mine are all a bit dark & moody :g:

Don't miss out - it promises to be another cracker :lol:

Steve.

Thanks for the kind words Steve - it was an honour to DJ in the company of people so committed to Soul music and to be part of such a friendly crowd. Yourself and Graham and Paul and Moldie all top guys when it comes to spinning the tunes.

Can't wait for the next one as it sounds like a brilliant DJ line up.

All the best

Manus

Sis & I had an excellent time! Great venue, brillant eclectic mix of soul music, lovely friendly people & great atmosphere & vibe - all for 4 squids! Great to see so many soulful friends, Theresa & Denis, Manus (great set BTW), Linda, Paddy & Di, Paddy S, Colin & Rose & the guy from Scarborough whose name I can't remember! Bringing our own booze :D (and crisps, cake & sausie rolls!) made for a very cost effective night out. Splendid! I'm really looking forward to the next event :g: .

Nicki XXXX

Hello Nicki

Great to see you last night - I thought the atmosphere was fantastic and many thanks for dancing to the tunes.

All the best

Manus

Hi Steve,

Thanks for one excellent night. I was expecting it to be pretty good after reports from the last one, but it way exceeded my expectactations.

All the jocks played their part and they all oozed INTEGRITY, which is too often found wanting these days but that's what came across. It was the genuine article for genuine devotees happy to make the pilgrimage to an excellent, quaint little venue.

I've got a feeling the next one will be a packer, soon burger bars in the car park etc :thumbsup:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for one excellent night. I was expecting it to be pretty good after reports from the last one, but it way exceeded my expectactations.

All the jocks played their part and they all oozed INTEGRITY, which is too often found wanting these days but that's what came across. It was the genuine article for genuine devotees happy to make the pilgrimage to an excellent, quaint little venue.

I've got a feeling the next one will be a packer, soon burger bars in the car park etc :(

Thanks okehpaddy,

I knew we must've been doing summat right when I popped out for a cig & saw the car park full :thumbsup:

Can't wait for May!

Just had chance to put my playlists together. If any of the other DJ's see this, please post yours and I'll be sure to include them on our website too. If you want them to play as well, just send mp3s to me via: info@sussexsoulclub.co.uk

8:00 - 8:30

Jesse James - Thank You Darlin'

Richard Berry - Go Go Girl

Bobby Hebb - You Want To Change Me

Darrell Banks - I'm The One Who Loves You

Johnny & jake - I Need Your Help Baby

Towonda Barnes - You Don't Mean It

Barbara Mercer - My Dear Heart

The Precisions - If This Is Love

Bobby Taylor - Oh, I've Been bless'd

The Vonettes - Touch My Heart

Bobby Diamond - Stop

Eddie Kendricks - Date With The Rain

10:00 - 10:30

Nolan Porter - If I Could Only Be Sure

The Decisions - It's Love That Really Counts

Johnny Howard - The Chase Is On

Rufus Wood - Before 2001

21st Century Ltd - Your Smallest Wish

Maxine Brown - Let Me Give You My Lovin'

IAP Co. - Check Yourself

Soul Brothers Six - I'll Be Loving You

John Hamilton & Doris Allen - Them Changes

The Marvelletes - I'll Keep Holding On

The Mighty Marvellows - Talkin' Bout Ya, Baby

Johnnie Taylor - Testify (I Wonna)

Edited by deeve

This my list that I played I think I may have forgot one or two but this is basically it. Sorry I didn't get the chance to play Ronnie McCain Steve time just ran out on me. And can I just add my best wishes to Chris and hope he's feeling better soon.

Big Guys - Hang your head and cry - WB

Huriah Boynton - You went back on what you said- Lanor

Soulful Illusion - To get to your love - Mercury

One'sy Mack - Never listen to your heart - Ghetto Records

Richie Merrett - I gave it up- C-way

David Peoples - Got to get my broom out - Saru

Masqueraders - The truth is free - Stairway

Joe King - Speak on up - Prix

Attractions - Why shouldn't a man cry - Bell

Olympics - No more will I cry - Loma

Larry Williams - You ask for one good reason - Okeh

Entertainers - Love in my heart - Symbol

Sue & Mel- Can't do without you - Star Track

Marvellos - Somethings burnin - Loma

Sam Moultrie - I'll always love you - Warren

Steptones - Lonely one - Diamond Jim

Theresa Lindsey - It's love - Correc-tone

Little Charles & the Sidewinders - It's a heartache - Decca

Poets - I've got two hearts - Symbol

Sensational Little Doc - Looking for my baby - Music-go-round

Nancy Lee - No words for love - Mo Do

Cheers Manus

Edited by manus
Guest east rob

This my list that I played I think I may have forgot one or two but this is basically it. Sorry I didn't get the chance to play Ronnie McCain Steve time just ran out on me. And can I just add my best wishes to Chris and hope he's feeling better soon.

Big Guys - Hang your head and cry - WB

Huriah Boynton - You went back on what you said- Lanor

Soulful Illusion - To get to your love - Mercury

One'sy Mack - Never listen to your heart - Ghetto Records

Richie Merrett - I gave it up- C-way

David Peoples - Got to get my broom out - Saru

Masqueraders - The truth is free - Stairway

Joe King - Speak on up - Prix

Attractions - Why shouldn't a man cry - Bell

Olympics - No more will I cry - Loma

Larry Williams - You ask for one good reason - Okeh

Entertainers - Love in my heart - Symbol

Sue & Mel- Can't do without you - Star Track

Marvellos - Somethings burnin - Loma

Sam Moultrie - I'll always love you - Warren

Steptones - Lonely one - Diamond Jim

Theresa Lindsey - It's love - Correc-tone

Little Charles & the Sidewinders - It's heartache - Decca

Poets - I've got two hearts - Symbol

Sensational Little Doc - Looking for my baby - Music-go-round

Nancy Lee - No words for love - Mo Do

Cheers Manus

hi manus, good spot. some awesome tunes going on there!! :D

Guest newman

I've been searching for the words, since the early hours of Sunday morning, to describe the amazing crowd that attend our functions. You've not only voted with your feet by turning up but on the dance floor too :D It's a fantastic buzz to look up from the decks and see a dance floor full of folks who are really into their music, then looking from the floor at dj's who really are top entertainers :ohmy:

TOP MEN

Saturday afternoon Moldie phoned with the bad news that Chris Thorley had been taken into hospital ill - I'm sure I speak for everyone wishing Chris a speedy recovery, the decks are waiting for you mate whenever you're fit enough to play here for us :P - no sooner had Moldie told us of Chris's illness he was offering to step forward, at the 11th hour, and move the June spot he was going to dj for us to that evening, and did he step up to the mark - from the minute he put needle to vinyl the floor was full and the place was alive! Paul and Manus followed, expertly putting sets together that joined genres of soul keeping the dance floor alight - I for one still have the aching knees to remind me!

THE SUPPORT

Just one example of the kind of support this club gets - Craig and Jane who came along until 11pm prior to a three and a half hour drive to the Six hills nighter - they spent whole evening with us on the dance floor! Hope you had a safe journey and a great night at both do's :lol:

THE HUNGER

While outside having a cig I got chatting to a local couple, sorry but I've forgot your names, the guy told me he'd had the Worthing Soul Club website on his desktop for four years, in limbo. He said two months ago, out of the blue, it came to life now as Sussex Soul Club. Well worth the wait and he'd be counting the days until our May soul night, after telling his unlucky friends who were unable to attend, what a night they'd missed!

Like the guy said we've sprung into life, we're here to stay and if you've not been along you're missing out! May 2nd is the next one, don't hear about it from others come along and live it! :ohmy:

Guest SteveC

Apologies for the tardy post (seems to be a habit these days).

Always a treat not to have to travel very far to a do and as I'm on at the next one Dave and I decided to check out what all the fuss was about.

Remember folks...this is a "bring your own booze" type event (or in my case bring your own appletizer). The venue is easy to find being just off the A27. Inside the venue and I can only describe it as "cosy" - great dancefloor which was busy all night. The size of the venue only lent it self to creating an atmosphere at all times.

Musically there was something for everyone. Steve McMahon is forever the professional with a diverse play list (I think it was The Decisions I enjoyed). Manus played some great stuff and in particular it was nice to hear and dance to Thelma Lyndsey.

The sound system.........as expected with any associated with Steve, is awesome although I'm sure the it will be tweaked for the next one when any feedback or mic problems will be eliminated.

Had a good time with old friends we hadn't seen for a while.....Lloyd and Julie, Paula and Andy, The Woons, Linda, Chrissie (belated greetings), Paddy R and Paddy S etc and good to meet new ones too.

Look forward to the next event and will have to box clever with my play box I feel..... :D

One last thing. Don't expect any politics here....there ain't none!!!!!!! See you all in May - I look forward to it.

Always a treat not to have to travel very far to a do and as I'm on at the next one Dave and I decided to check out what all the fuss was about.

Remember folks...this is a "bring your own booze" type event (or in my case bring your own appletizer). The venue is easy to find being just off the A27. Inside the venue and I can only describe it as "cosy" - great dancefloor which was busy all night. The size of the venue only lent it self to creating an atmosphere at all times.

Musically there was something for everyone. Steve McMahon is forever the professional with a diverse play list (I think it was The Decisions I enjoyed). Manus played some great stuff and in particular it was nice to hear and dance to Thelma Lyndsey.

The sound system.........as expected with any associated with Steve, is awesome although I'm sure the it will be tweaked for the next one when any feedback or mic problems will be eliminated.

Had a good time with old friends we hadn't seen for a while.....Lloyd and Julie, Paula and Andy, The Woons, Linda, Chrissie (belated greetings), Paddy R and Paddy S etc and good to meet new ones too.

Look forward to the next event and will have to box clever with my play box I feel..... :D

One last thing. Don't expect any politics here....there ain't none!!!!!!! See you all in May - I look forward to it.

Cheers Steve really looking forward to your spot in May :D Agree it was great to see the Woons there- two of the nicest and most knowledgeable people around and always a pleasure to see Andy and Paula. And Paddy and Di who are real mainstays of the Sussex scene - can't wait for Paddy S do in May as well - lots of great things coming up.

Great to see Damian and Delaine dancing their hearts out as usual and their son not so little D who seems to have inherited his fathers Michael Flatley genes and was putting us oldsters to shame on the dance floor. And thanks to Linda and James for the lift and kindly picking me up from my front door much appreciated

Cheers Manus

Edited by manus

Look forward to the next event and will have to box clever with my play box I feel..... :thumbup:

Cheers for the honest review, Steve. You're absolutely right, we tend to read the floor @Patching as at the end of the day, if someone's travelled a fair distance to join us in the sticks, the least we can do is give them a bit of a workout to remember :thumbup:

Really looking forward to hearing more of your gems in May & yes, I've already got the remedy sorted re the mike feedback malarky :)

Best,

Steve.

Guest newman

Sorry for the delay had a busy week :) but here's my playlist, at last... I think I've remembered them all anyway :lol:

7:30 - 8:00

Little Johnny Taylor - Somewhere Down The Line

Jr. Walker All Stars - Good Rockin'

Bill Black's Combo - Little Queenie

Chocolate Boys - Voltaire Pier

Johnnie Taylor - Blues In The Night

A.C. Reed & His Band - My Baby's Been Cheating

Rose Battiste - I Miss My Baby

Dee Dee Sharp - What Kind Of Lady

The Vibrations - 'Cause You're Mine

Isley Brothers - Why When Love Has Gone

10:00 - 10:30