Twisted Oldies

Guest James Trouble

Guest James Trouble

Records that are oldies but are not really "northern soul" in the traditional sense of the word.

For example:

Case Of Thyme - Manifesto

The Crow - Autumn Of Your Tomorrow

Seventh Wonder - Captain Of My Ship

Willie J & Co - Boogie With Your Baby

Frankie Crocker - Ton Of Dynamite

Get the idea?

Social source share

• Replies 278
  • Views 20.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest James Trouble

Black Nasty - Cut Your Motor Off

Nice one Bill, Levine spin wasn't it? How about:

Rimshots - Do What You Feel.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Isn't this just a list of tunes played at Cleethorpes? :D

Ok, how about Ellipsis - People? Is that an oldie these days? It's certainly twisted...

Come on 'Zilla, you must have a few...

Social source share

Ok, how about Ellipsis - People? Is that an oldie these days? It's certainly twisted...

Come on 'Zilla, you must have a few...

I think it's too subjective. I've argued for years that Roscoe & Friends- Broadway Sissy is out and out funk, but lots of people can't see it. And fair enough to 'em too. You could argue that any new release played from the disco age isn't really Northern Soul. Or you can argue that it is by virtue of being played in the clubs. Mitch Ryder was a pretty wild Rock n Roll act but his records were accepted early on. Then of course there's the Human Beinz: first of the garage tunes to played?

The instrumental to "six o'clock" booted as Supertime is deffo an easy listening cut. Lot's of the UK covers played by Minshull etc are beat tunes, as are some of the UK originals like John Andrews (fantastic) and John Drevars (dire).

Did I mention Gordon's Gin?

How about this for a bit of heavy rock then? My contender for worst tune played too, although as it's on youtube some nutcase obviously likes it :D

">
Social source share

Re the "Cleethorpes plays" :D . These were all accepted as "Northern Soul" at the time. Different to the sixties stuff yes, but played at ALL the big venues, and most of them very popular. (Obviously, not everyone was enamoured ) Why is it that nowadays its suggested that these were somehow not "Northern". And for what purpose ?

A list of the plays that came to the fore when the prevailing "fashion" for these funkier sounds died off for a while would be of more relevance imo. Lorraine Silver, Muriel Day, Bobby Goldsboro etc etc etc. Some djs playlists were packed with poor white Pop that many bought and danced too.

Don't mean to hijack your thread James, but I don't really see your point, although I could of course be missing it entirely. :D

Social source share

Records that are oldies but are not really "northern soul" in the traditional sense of the word.

For example:

Get the idea?

No I dont get it at all James

All of the above are Northern soul Oldies whether you liked them or not!

If these werent Northern soul oldies what do you think is "The Snake" ? :D

How long you been on this scene mate or are you just having a senior moment :D:D

Next you will be saying the following are not Northern soul oldies! Sam Ambrose- theyll be coming

Baltimore & Ohio Band - Condition Red ,Checkeboard Square- Double Cookin ETC ETc Etc

Social source share

Re the "Cleethorpes plays" :D . These were all accepted as "Northern Soul" at the time. Different to the sixties stuff yes, but played at ALL the big venues, and most of them very popular. (Obviously, not everyone was enamoured ) Why is it that nowadays its suggested that these were somehow not "Northern". And for what purpose ?

A list of the plays that came to the fore when the prevailing "fashion" for these funkier sounds died off for a while would be of more relevance imo. Lorraine Silver, Muriel Day, Bobby Goldsboro etc etc etc. Some djs playlists were packed with poor white Pop that many bought and danced too.

Don't mean to hijack your thread James, but I don't really see your point, although I could of course be missing it entirely. :D

You know how I feel about 70's soul in the main but these Cleethorpes records are amongst the best records ever played and I wish there'd be a revival in that sort of record...imagine Todays People being the UK's number 1 sound again..High Voltage...Delrays...Liberty...Hot Line...East Coast Connection...brilliant, all of them, and 100% Northern Soul too...great days

Social source share

Steve raises a very good point.

Up until, I'd say, the early 90s a wide variety of styles constituted Northern Soul. At that point I think there was a concerted effort on the part of the few 'newies' jocks left to get back to basics and try to programme predominently 60s uptempo soul records with a straightforward 4/4 beat. But the great clubs of the classic era, from the Wheel through the Torch, Mecca, Wigan, Cleethorpes and Stafford all found room for off-the-wall dance music of many different flavours.

If you were to pick a record which summed up the sound of each of these clubs someone else could equally pick something completely and utterly different: Don Garner's Cheating Kind was a Mecca record, but so was Snoopy Dean. Chrysler & The Monarchs was a Stafford record, but equally Mel Stewart "No Work No Pay No Eat" was too (I dug this out the other day: would never get played anywhere now, I guess, but still sounds interesting. Rare too, not that it should matter.)

Levine maintains that Northern Soul was always a specific generic style of music (4/4 rhythm, soaring strings, predictable harmonic structure, 'lifestlye' lyrics) a revisionist manifesto to fit in with the kind of music he makes now. Such revisionism is completely ludicrous.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Nice one Bill, Levine spin wasn't it? How about:

Rimshots - Do What You Feel.

Ive just realised James - You are only 32 so you wouldnt have a clue about the 70s and what made these tracks popular northern soul oldies.

Its like saying I understand the First world war when I wasnt there! I can appreciate what was happening but as I didnt experience it I have a different view about it.

I am applying the same theory to you mate on not experiencing these records at the time!

Social source share

You know how I feel about 70's soul in the main but these Cleethorpes records are amongst the best records ever played and I wish there'd be a revival in that sort of record...imagine Todays People being the UK's number 1 sound again..High Voltage...Delrays...Liberty...Hot Line...East Coast Connection...brilliant, all of them, and 100% Northern Soul too...great days

Totally Agree Pete - Wonderful sounds and fantastic days.

Had some frends at my Flat (The Gasher) and his missus Linda and played these records of that CD Linda couldnt believe they were played on the scene! :D

Social source share

I agree, and you've always said the same thing about this "70's Northern" ie the uptempo stuff. as Gareth says, theres a lot of rubbish written about that time in the 70's generally by people who want to downplay the importance at that type of sound at the time and its continuing influence.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Gotta agree. IMO all those you list and in the opening post are far more Northern Soul than some of the utter pop shite that's also as termed Northern Soul ----

Muriel Day

Judy Street

Keith

Bobby Goldsboro

Gary Lewis

etc

etc

As they were all played on the scene then I suppose they all come under that umbrella unfortunately.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

For example:

Get the idea?

I have to agree with Pete and others, they are definately traditional and classic northern soul. 100% northern soul.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

No I dont get it at all James

All of the above are Northern soul Oldies whether you liked them or not!

If these werent Northern soul oldies what do you think is "The Snake" ? :D

How long you been on this scene mate or are you just having a senior moment :D:huh:

Next you will be saying the following are not Northern soul oldies! Sam Ambrose- theyll be coming

Baltimore & Ohio Band - Condition Red ,Checkeboard Square- Double Cookin ETC ETc Etc

Hey Ernie, there is no point, it's just a thread about non archetypal 'northern soul'.

Keep the "Twisted Oldies" coming folk, some crackers in here, and some shitters :D

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Prince George - Wrong Crowd

Skullsnaps - I'm your pimp

Moments - I've got the need

Played Skullsnaps - I'm Your Pimp in the warm up at the last Soul Rev'. Wrong thread... :D

I've not heard that Prince George before. That's pretty twisted, anyone got a copy for sale? :D Where was that played?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Hey Ernie, there is no point, it's just a thread about non archetypal 'northern soul'.

Keep the "Twisted Oldies" coming folk, some crackers in here, and some shitters :D

James, you refer to a Case of Thyme , to that you could add Rosemary What Happened and possibly the Herbs on Smoke. All probably played by a well known DJ at the time Basil.

Obviously later discoveries such as Sage and the Bay Brothers would have been played by people djing during that era, such as Mace.

That shallot. :D

On topic, although it is Northern, King Errison, "Zola"

Social source share

Played Skullsnaps - I'm Your Pimp in the warm up at the last Soul Rev'. Wrong thread... :D

I've not heard that Prince George before. That's pretty twisted :D Where was that played?

Mecca , Cleethorpes, Wigan, Samanthas - most places although not as big as say "I'm Your Pimp" which was a huge record.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

some of the utter pop shite that's also as termed Northern Soul ----

Judy Street

Keith

Bobby Goldsboro

Gary Lewis

Sorry, none of the above of those are 'utter pop shite'. They're all actually well crafted, very very good pop records.

You may not like them as 'Northern Soul', but Gary Lewis and Keith especially are superb examples of mid 60s American Pop and are worthy of ownership by anyone who collects that kind of music as well as soul (as I do).

There are plenty of genuine 'soul' records that the scene has embraced down the years that qualify for the "Utter Shite" category, as recorded works, before these do.

Over to you, Pete...

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James, you refer to a Case of Thyme , to that you could add Rosemary What Happened and possibly the Herbs on Smoke. All probably played by a well known DJ at the time Basil.

Obviously later discoveries such as Sage and the Bay Brothers would have been played by people djing during that era, such as Mace.

That shallot. :(

On topic, although it is Northern, King Errison, "Zola"

That Rosemary track is really twisted, the kiddies singing in the back ground is like some sort of prog rock experiment. Pink Floyd like? Twisted indeed. Was it really played out in clubs?

Although not as twisted as the one with the 80s boy band backing beat on youtube ph34r.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

That Rosemary track is really twisted, the kiddies singing in the back ground is like some sort of prog rock experiment. Pink Floyd like? Twisted indeed. Was it really played out in clubs?

Although not as twisted as the one with the 80s boy band backing beat on youtube ph34r.gif

The film Rosemarys Baby had been released before Popcorn made it, and thats the theme.

Initially I think it was the instrumental that got played. Again a big record James. I prefer the vocal, as I do to BoogieMan Orchestra and Sam Ambrose.

Social source share

Played Skullsnaps - I'm Your Pimp in the warm up at the last Soul Rev'. Wrong thread... unsure.gif

I've not heard that Prince George before. That's pretty twisted, anyone got a copy for sale? :( Where was that played?

Prince george -In my Top 10 of all time - Played everywhere as far as I am aware

Ive been after a copy since Dave Thorley had sold his copy

Think its about £150 - Pretty rare

Now heres atwisted one

"Police story" or Theme from the Coloured man

Suppose another unusual thing would be Brothers & Sisters - Dont let em tell you on Nickel

Social source share

Guest martyn

For example:

Get the idea?

Biyo -Earth Wind & Fire

Mal-Martin Stevens

The Whole Thing -8th Avenue Band..........................(You ate it Ralph huh.gif )

Fame- Grand Army Band

Troublemaker-Roberta Kelly

The Gig-Raw Soul

Ha Cha Cha-Brass Construction

Spirit-Third Point

Crazy Changes-Luv

Remember hearing all of these played in 76.It didn't seem at all odd at the time, in fact I remember most of these filling the floor.........Probably twisted by todays standards

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Biyo -Earth Wind & Fire

Mal-Martin Stevens

The Whole Thing -8th Avenue Band..........................(You ate it Ralph :( )

Fame- Grand Army Band

Troublemaker-Roberta Kelly

The Gig-Raw Soul

Ha Cha Cha-Brass Construction

Spirit-Third Point

Crazy Changes-Luv

Remember hearing all of these played in 76.It didn't seem at all odd at the time, in fact I remember most of these filling the floor.........Probably twisted by todays standards

The Spirit track is sweet. When and where was that played? I didn't realise that was a northern oldie ohmy.gif

Social source share

Cant believe you dont know Rosemary!! :( Its a f--king mega classic Norhern tune. Get a Wigan comp (or two) and catch up...

Social source share

James,why don't you re-read the Mecca thread that Mel did?.

Loadsa non-Northern on there. ph34r.gif

btw.....is "Manifesto" nearly funk?

You know my tips James.........

"Summer in the Parks" - East Coast Connection (Instru of course) and Pat Lundi-"Party Music"

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Theme from the Coloured man

ha! Now that is twisted as is

Black power - James Coit and

Theme From The Fantastic Plastic Flying Machine by Harry Betts (covered as Jealousy! laugh.gif )

Sensitive Mind - General Assembly

Don't quite get why you're including Sensitive Mind - it's an out and out Northern stomper

Social source share

Guest martyn

The Spirit track is sweet. When and where was that played? I didn't realise that was a northern oldie ohmy.gif

I heard it at St Ives early 76 ,belive it was played at Cleethorpes as well but can't comment personally as at that point in time I wasn't doing Clethorpes.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

James,why don't you re-read the Mecca thread that Mel did?.

Loadsa non-Northern on there. ph34r.gif

btw.....is "Manifesto" nearly funk?

You know my tips James.........

"Summer in the Parks" - East Coast Connection (Instru of course) and Pat Lundi-"Party Music"

Case Of Thyme is twisted, whatever you want to call it :( But yeah, nearly funk.

Social source share

Case Of Thyme is twisted, whatever you want to call it laugh.gif But yeah, nearly funk.

James,the Cat/Wheelies will be getting bored with all these recent oldies..........what about going back,,,,way back,,,back into time.....with..............

SCRATCHY - TRAVIS WAMMACK.............fookin demented.

Damn you Val(edit)

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert