Twisted Oldies

Guest James Trouble

I played Swing by Hokis Pokis a couple of months ago -Thats abit twisted because if you play the other side Get Ya Girl it sounds just like Swing in reverse

Actually "Nowhere" - Hokis Pokis is even nuttier when you listen to the words. "On My Way To Nowhere" is surely the perfect lyric for a twisted night it plus that mad synth should surely qualify it.........? :lol:

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 278
  • Views 20.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Gettin' On Life - Wombat

We Got Togetherness - The Jewells

The Zoo (The Human Zoo) - The Commodores

There's zillions........if only I could remember 'em........

Ian D :lol:

Loved these - great dancers...............remember not everybody agreed at the time though :lol:

Edited by Stevie
Social source share

:lol::lol:

Love this, Callum played it at one of our Move On! nights and I guess he plays it at Pow Wow as well. It went onto my want list as soon as I heard it......so if anyones has it for sale let me know :lol:

i have a clean copy in the pic sleeve, I would trade it for a heavy trade if someone has a good trade.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

:D:lol:

Love this, Callum played it at one of our Move On! nights and I guess he plays it at Pow Wow as well. It went onto my want list as soon as I heard it......so if anyones has it for sale let me know :rolleyes:

Callum's got fantastic taste and he's a boss DJ.

I don't know too many others apart from Callum, Mik Parry and myself who have this? Certainly no DJs who play it. I think I gave it the first spin at a Lifeline allnighter in April last year. Mik Parry and myself have played it at the 100 Club since then as well. Big spin for Mik on the mod scene I believe.

I think there is scope for playing these kind of sounds, tunes for the dancers despite their obvious 'flaws' and 'perversions'. They are not 'soul' records. But they are "northern soul". Maybe there is too much chin stroking and the soul connoisseurs have too much grip on the psyche of the DJs at the moment?

What happened to the good old days when men were men, northern was northern, DJs played for the dancers and a pint of bitter cost 10p?

Another good weird gear twisted northern tune: Purple Image - Why?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The vocal on Babe Ruth sounds like Lena Lovitch.

The vocalist on one of the two "Elusive"s is Ellie Hope, who famously(?) also provided the recitation on Mud's UK chart topping version of "Oh Boy" and who replaced the group's original lead singer, the gorgeous Jennie Haan, just after the "Elusive"-related album came out.

That's probably more about Babe Ruth than anyone on here really wants to know...

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The vocalist on one of the two "Elusive"s is Ellie Hope, who famously(?) also provided the recitation on Mud's UK chart topping version of "Oh Boy" and who replaced the group's original lead singer, the gorgeous Jennie Haan, just after the "Elusive"-related album came out.

That's probably more about Babe Ruth than anyone on here really wants to know...

Thanks for that Tony, it's that kind of useful trivia on the weird and the twisted that could really light the touch paper on this thread! :D

Let's get some more sound clips up on here, people! :rolleyes:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Just read someone put Jewels - We Got Togetherness Brilliant...what a f--cked up twisted tune. Especially the break, where those who didn't know it would walk off the floor thinking it had ended :rolleyes: Great tune! Who dare play it now?

Oh yeah, that's hitting the twisted nerve. I'm off to find a copy...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

One that I really love :-

Burning Bush - keeps on burning (mercury)

I don't know if anyone can confirm this but I've been told that there is another song that uses the backing track of The Burning Bush record, and it's also on Mercury and only one person has it (Tim A maybe?)

Social source share

Entire sets of such records would be hard for me to stomach. As has always been the case the odd one thrown in here and there can sound incredible. Common sense is the key.

Having just listened to Val's "Lovers Concerto" cover-up, fat chance of that :rolleyes::D:lol: (Kenny Everett "world's worst" candidate...)

Couple of suggestions from me :-

James Holt - What's Happening to Our Love Affair (pure rare groove - a Cleethorpes spins?)

Frank Foster - Harlem Rumble

Perhaps not twisted enough? :lol:

Social source share

Having just listened to Val's "Lovers Concerto" cover-up, fat chance of that :rolleyes::D:lol: (Kenny Everett "world's worst" candidate...)

Couple of suggestions from me :-

James Holt - What's Happening to Our Love Affair (pure rare groove - a Cleethorpes spins?)

:lol:

That would be Danny Hunt Richard. And yes, a fantastically twisted record which is almost impossible to dance to but which you can't get out of your head. Brilliant!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Oh GOd - If anyone ever plays that at any venue I attend I will be done for Murder!

Im just off to film for the BBC at 1pm and I bet that bloody version is going crash my concentration this afternoon.

Val - If hanging was brought back the singer would be first on my list and then you would be next for the 3 minutes of sheer hell you have just caused people by putting that up :rolleyes:

Nice one VAL!

https://www.mrsmillersworld.com/

">
Social source share

Just read someone put Jewels - We Got Togetherness Brilliant...what a f--cked up twisted tune. Especially the break, where those who didn't know it would walk off the floor thinking it had ended :) Great tune! Who dare play it now?

I played it at the Stables 2 years ago i know it was then cause im still getting the doctors bills now laugh.gif

Social source share

Ive just realised James - You are only 32 so you wouldnt have a clue about the 70s and what made these tracks popular northern soul oldies.

Its like saying I understand the First world war when I wasnt there! I can appreciate what was happening but as I didnt experience it I have a different view about it.

I am applying the same theory to you mate on not experiencing these records at the time!

couldent agree more !!!!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Bobby Franklin - Ladies Choice ?

Tradewinds - Strange ?

Swifty :)

+ seem to remember one by EDDIE DANIELS - IS HE BETTER THAN ME ?

Those are pretty middle of the road for this thread I think, Swifty. Got to be more leftfield than that to qualify!!!! laugh.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Entire sets of such records would be hard for me to stomach. As has always been the case the odd one thrown in here and there can sound incredible. Common sense is the key.

VOICE OF REASON...spot on Gareth. A whole set would f--k with your head!ha! used to like Lena back in punk days..think she was an opera singer first?

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

There are loads of Babe Ruth on YouTube and you're right Jennie Haan is veeeeery nice :)

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I don't what is meant by twisted but pretty much everything on this thread was played in the clubs and youth clubs during my youth around 1978-1981 and to me it was and will always be what i think of as 'classic' northern soul. Maybe some need a play out again, lots have certainly not seen the light of day for a few years. I played Babe Ruth - Elusive out last year, i might even play it on Friday. Young white rock chick on the northern scene, maybe twisted but still classic northern. :)

Couldn't resist buying a promo of this i came across last year smile.gif

Another one I had on the deck the other night... 'B.T. Express - Peace Pipe'.....stick that on & resist the urge to stomp !!!

Which I attempted....untill I was warned the ceiling beams downstairs were bowing :ohmy:

Reading through this thread it makes you realise how many great dance tunes would have been missed if the 'soulful only' rule had been applied........Anyone else think (like me) it was better when it was more ecclectic... & the effect on the need to move your feet was the catalyst for what constituted a good tune ? ....& that includes some of the so called 'pop shite' like Bobby Diamond,James Coit,Burning Bush e.t.c.

sad.gif Crap getting old ain't it (sigh) biggrin.gif

Social source share

Reading through this thread it makes you realise how many great dance tunes would have been missed if the 'soulful only' rule had been applied........Anyone else think (like me) it was better when it was more ecclectic...

I do, and have said so before...great great days.

Thinking further about this, some of the records that were popular when I first got into Northern properly were things like Ten Miles High, The Joker, Goodbye Nothing To Say, Tainted Love, Love Feeling, Footsee, Dizzy, Take A Letter Maria, The Night, Dena Barnes, Benny Curtis, Under My Thumb, Capreez, Skiing in the snow...a right old mixture...loved them all at the time though, with hindsight many of them were just played because of the danceability but SO WHAT?

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I often give Mitch Ryder - You Get Your Kicks a spin out. That's a bit of a swerve ball tune. Leftfield and twisted enough for this thread?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I often give Mitch Ryder - You Get Your Kicks a spin out. That's a bit of a swerve ball tune. Leftfield and twisted enough for this thread?

I've heard that spun out recently.

Good business that getting spins again in a quirky nostalgia cheese sort of way.

Imo of course.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

I do, and have said so before...great great days.

Thinking further about this, some of the records that were popular when I first got into Northern properly were things like Ten Miles High, The Joker, Goodbye Nothing To Say, Tainted Love, Love Feeling, Footsee, Dizzy, Take A Letter Maria, The Night, Dena Barnes, Benny Curtis, Under My Thumb, Capreez, Skiing in the snow...a right old mixture...loved them all at the time though, with hindsight many of them were just played because of the danceability but SO WHAT?

Going off track of the thread a bit & expanding on this..... I find it hard to understand how some people can hate a tune they once loved ? Not aiming at you with that statement....more to do with how records like some of these listed & 'The Snake' & 'Do I Love You' e.t.c. are so often derided & people say they now hate them. Can understand people not wanting to hear them out all the time...but not the 'hate' bit.

Me personally...once I like a tune..it seems to stay that way no matter how many times I hear it...It still dosen't get in the way of me wanting to find other music that I haven't heard though.

Social source share

His "Devil In The Red Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly" sugue (think that's what you call it when 2 songs are combined?) may be a bit more um, twisted James.

....and a big track back in the day.

John.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert