Twisted Oldies

Guest James Trouble

Guest Bogue

Fife Piper

:) & similar but a bit later 'Grooving with Mr Bloe' biggrin.gif

Back on track so put my thinking cap on g.gif

(Can't remember if these two have been mentioned)

Andre Brasseur - The Kid

Derek & Ray - Interplay

Harry Betts - Fantastic Plastic Machine

Sylvetti - Spring Rain (still sounds superb)

:ohmy: I guess 'The Bottle' could come under the umberella too ?

Soulful Strings - Burning Spear

Guy Darrell - I've Been Hurt

Don Covay - It's Better To Have

Bst leave some for others biggrin.gif

Social source share

• Replies 278
  • Views 20.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest James Trouble

:ohmy: & similar but a bit later 'Grooving with Mr Bloe' :D

Back on track so put my thinking cap on g.gif

(Can't remember if these two have been mentioned)

Andre Brasseur - The Kid

Derek & Ray - Interplay

Harry Betts - Fantastic Plastic Machine

Sylvetti - Spring Rain (still sounds superb)

g.gif I guess 'The Bottle' could come under the umberella too ?

Soulful Strings - Burning Spear

Guy Darrell - I've Been Hurt

Don Covay - It's Better To Have

Bst leave some for others :lol:

Good work there Bogue! The Bottle and Burning Spear, they are right good swerve balls :)

Were they really big oldies?

If they were it begs the question as to why Rokk - Patience seems to clear floors? Why were those tunes accepted 'then', but 'now' a fantastic discovery from recent years of the same style is rejected by the dance? :no:(Well the dances shackled to 'traditional northern soul' nightsin the UK, anyway. It's a huge classic now on the funk and euro soul scenes)

Maybe Pete has a point? huh.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Were they really big oldies?

YES PLAYED AND PLAYED AND PLAYED OUT :unsure:

TIMES HAVE CHANGED A FEW SPINS AND A RECORD BECAME HUGE

TOO MANY VENUES ON SO MANY YET TO PLAY :g: THESE DAYS

Why wasn't S.O.U.L Burning Spear played instead? Had it not been discovered at that point?

They don't compare, S.O.U.L is heavier, punchier, more edge to it, more drama, more tension, more urgent. Better in every way.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

DONT FORGET THERE WASNT THAT MANY DJS THEN

AND SOME ARE STILL PLAYING THE SAME TUNES AS 30YEARS AGO :unsure: NO NAMES MENTIONED :g:

Okay dockey. They had probably not discovered S.O.U.L at that point. It's a pretty tough record to track down on 45.

Social source share

"The Bottle" is just a fantastic piece of music and has been an anthem on all of the scenes on which it has been played.

Rokk is an okay record and I'm sure if it had been around in quantity as a new release it would have had a brief day in the sun back then.

I don't know that there's an inbuilt resistance to more 'off the wall' sounds generally. I think of Lifeline the other week and pretty much all the deejays played tracks that fell outside the remit of straightforward Northern in what has come to be accepted as the classic sense: as mentioned on another thread Sam played The Apaches, Mick played Foreign Blue Renaissance and so on. All went down really well, because they're good records and crucially the night had created its own atmosphere where people wanted to dance and it would have taken something pretty spectacularly bad or groundbreaking to clear the floor.

This has been an interesting topic James, so thanks for raising it. Some of the tracks mentioned are great, others are dire and some are just plain ridiculous. I suppose they're all a reminder that at one stage the scene was peopled by the young and enthusiastic. The main aim was to dance and have fun; reflecting this whatever 'rules' which existed were made up as people went along. Youth cults were never meant to last this long and what we see now is the fallout of that, I suppose.

When niters fail to have the special atmosphere which made us all want to go in the first place then that's a problem and the introspection about the nature of the scene, music policies, 'venue politics' etc. all get aired.

Social source share

Regarding SOUL versus Soulful Strings cut of Burning Spear: The Soulful Strings is more 'Northern', that's why it got played.

Northern has embraced a lot of styles, but there's sometimes an almost-but-not-quite-tangible 'feel' to a record which marks it out as playable: an atmosphere that goes beyond a particular rhythm or tempo.

SOUL's version probably sounds better to ears which have been bought up on Hip Hop; as James says it's beefier, darker etc.

But it's not Northern.

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Why wasn't S.O.U.L Burning Spear played instead? Had it not been discovered at that point?

They don't compare, S.O.U.L is heavier, punchier, more edge to it, more drama, more tension, more urgent. Better in every way.

? Not sure if it was to be honest James.

That is the first time I have heard the S.O.U.L version though by the way. There was also a more disco type version by the Salsoul Orchestra if I remember correctly ?

Have to say, my preference is still for the Soulful Strings version, just something about the tight (almost monotonous) beat. The bass player gets just a tad to clever for me on the S.O.U.L version :g:

I think that's perhaps some part of the reason as to why that other track you put up doesn't seem to have the same effect on the floor...I still like it...but the beat appears (to me anyhow) to change direction too many times & so doesn't hold you like Burning Spear & The Bottle.

P.s.

Soulful Strings responsable for the best version of 'Coming Home' too IMHO ...awsome version :unsure:

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Okay dockey. They had probably not discovered S.O.U.L at that point. It's a pretty tough record to track down on 45.

S.O.U.L. was around back then - "This Time Around" got a few spins and was common as muck in the early 70's but "Burning Spear" would have been a tad too extreme for the scene back then.

Strangely enough another version of "Burning Spear" was a huge record on the Jazz-Funk scene aound '77 - try and check the Richard Evans version out (on A&M), I think that version would probably qualify as twisted these days as the sax on it is phenomenal.........

Ian D :unsure:

Social source share

S.O.U.L. was around back then - "This Time Around" got a few spins and was common as muck in the early 70's but "Burning Spear" would have been a tad too extreme for the scene back then.

Strangely enough another version of "Burning Spear" was a huge record on the Jazz-Funk scene aound '77 - try and check the Richard Evans version out (on A&M), I think that version would probably qualify as twisted these days as the sax on it is phenomenal.........

Richard Evans was responsible for The Soulful Strings too. What they both have above the SOUL version is a cool and studious intensity.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Another one from the Cleethorpes era which sounds pretty out-there today is Sidney Thomas "Look Let's Make Love" on Parallel.

Cracking record that . :unsure:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Regarding SOUL versus Soulful Strings cut of Burning Spear: The Soulful Strings is more 'Northern', that's why it got played.

Northern has embraced a lot of styles, but there's sometimes an almost-but-not-quite-tangible 'feel' to a record which marks it out as playable: an atmosphere that goes beyond a particular rhythm or tempo.

SOUL's version probably sounds better to ears which have been bought up on Hip Hop; as James says it's beefier, darker etc.

But it's not Northern.

Is it possible to gain a better understanding of what is the "northern soul" sound from these twisted classics?

The 'essence' of the "northern soul" sound is perhaps stripped bare and exposed by these tunes?

Perhaps a record like Gwen Owens - Wanted And Needed (or any of 1000s of examples) is too fluffy and nice and so obviously good, that it sometimes confuses us as to what it is that makes the tune so powerful in the first place?

It's a pretty difficult concept to put into words, but perhaps the nice and fluffy and soulful and obviously good has become the most important thing that some DJs are worried about in their sets, rather than a primeval energy these records create on a dance floor?

I agree with Gareth, it's an interesting topic. Let's keep those twisted northern sounds coming, with sound clips if possible...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Is it possible to gain a better understanding of what is the "northern soul" sound from these twisted classics?

The 'essence' of the "northern soul" sound is perhaps stripped bare and exposed by these tunes?

Perhaps a record like Gwen Owens - Wanted And Needed (or any of 1000s of examples) is too fluffy and nice and so obviously good, that it sometimes confuses us as to what it is that makes the tune so powerful in the first place?

It's a pretty difficult concept to put into words, but perhaps the nice and fluffy and soulful and obviously good has become the most important thing that some DJs are worried about in their sets, rather than a primeval energy these records create on a dance floor?

I agree with Gareth, it's an interesting topic. Let's keep those twisted northern sounds coming, with sound clips if possible...

Gwen Owens.....As Gareth rightly says,a record sometimes has a feel to it.Something that marks it out as special,that you can't quite put your finger on.

I wouldn't have called G.O.- as fluffy tho' James.Raw energy of heartbreakin', one-take soul,Yes!!

Great thread btw,makes a change :unsure:

Social source share

OK James, here's one for ya. I doubt that you'll hear this out anywhere nowadays but it was huge at one time.........plus with a name like Wombat and a title like "I'm Gettin' On Life" it's surely got to be a contender (apologies for direct link but can't find a Refosoul clip)...............

https://www.zshare.net/download/5772477550ceeae2/

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Not sure if this is a piss take.

Gwen Owens is fluffy - FFS.

Crashing drum beat intro and a soul / dance tune that is exceptional.

Glad I'm not what you are on.

Guess you had to be there.

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

No one mentoned Peanut Duck yet?

On a related note, does anyone know what the track is that samples that very heavily?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Gwen Owens.....As Gareth rightly says,a record sometimes has a feel to it.Something that marks it out as special,that you can't quite put your finger on.

I wouldn't have called G.O.- as fluffy tho' James.Raw energy of heartbreakin', one-take soul,Yes!!

Great thread btw,makes a change :no:

Yeah, totally. That's my point. But as I said, it's a pretty hard concept to put into words. There is the hard, raw, crash bang wallop side of Gwen Owens, which in my opinion is what gives it it's specialness, it's northernness.

However, there is the nice, sweet and soulful, perhaps fluffy is not quite the right word, but it is cuddly, like a grizzly bear with big claws. But it's easy to mistake it for being cuddly and nice, even though the really impressive thing about it is is it's raw strength and being the biggest killer out there and it can pound that crap out anything that gets in it's way or tries to stand up to it.

Those that perhaps don't fully understand it, like my mum, just look at it and think it's cute and nice, and sweet and, well, fluffy and cuddly. But that's not the important part.

That sounds like bollocks, reading it back. But as I said it's a pretty hard concept to put into words, it's fairly abstract, but I think it get's the point over I'm trying to make, just.

These twisted oldies expose the raw essence of the "northern soul" sound.

species-spotlight-grizzly-bear-brown-mouth-open-black-nose-attacking-growling-biting-photo.jpg

A traditional oldie.

Cute, nice and fluffy?

Beige_Teddy_Bear.jpg

Looks like the above?

shark-white.jpg

Twisted oldie.

I'll fetch my coat :unsure:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

ERE'S SOME MORE TO COGETATE....

TONI BAZIL - BREAKAWAY

You really think that's twisted? I think it's classic four beats to the bar out and out Northern Soul.

PS: can somebody post up the video here? it's a nice one for the boys :unsure: I'm sure it's on Youtube but can't access the site from the office PC.

Social source share

When/where was The Trip played, Ian?

It's raucous, that's for sure.

'The Trip' was played.............just about everywhere...

Its a classic just like 'Afternoon of the Rhino' etc

This thread is throwing up a few surprises for me in terms of one mans 'newie' is anothers 'oldie'....meant in a good way of course biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

'The Trip' was played.............just about everywhere...

Its a classic just like 'Afternoon of the Rhino' etc

This thread is throwing up a few surprises for me in terms of one mans 'newie' is anothers 'oldie'....meant in a good way of course :wicked:

I've got a copy of it, never considered it northern sou though huh.gif

Social source share

I've got a copy of it, never considered it northern sou though huh.gif

I think the acid test, back in the day, was whether people danced to it as opposed to it fitting into a particular category. Trip was a great dancer and that made it popular. Things were simpler then in that the music was either sixties or seventies unlike the multiple genres that we have today. IMHO of course :wicked:

Social source share

I think the acid test, back in the day, was whether people danced to it as opposed to it fitting into a particular category. Trip was a great dancer and that made it popular. Things were simpler then in that the music was either sixties or seventies unlike the multiple genres that we have today. IMHO of course :shades:

SPOT ON :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

:lol: Another couple that I suppose went against the grain in a twisted gritty way....

'Mr Flood's Party - Compared To What' & 'Ronnie Forte - That Was Whiskey Talking'

Also 'Jimmy Fraser / Y.O.P - Of Hopes & Dreams & Tombstones.....definatly not a fluffy...& could easily fit nicely into a U2 set I reckon,for some reason their tune 'Silver & Gold' always reminds me of it.

Or perhaps that's just a 'twisted' me :shades:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Never mind that. Listen to Saxie Russell.

To me the Saxie Russell is more obviously northern. It's still pretty perverted though :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Almost all of my favourite oldies are on this this thread. I am slightly allarmed by the "twisted" thing.

Has anybody mentioned Third Time Around?

"Soon Everything Is Going To Be Alright"?

It's not that good or twisted, is it? :lol:

Social source share

"Soon Everything Is Going To Be Alright"?

It's not that good or twisted, is it? :lol:

I'm disappointed by that reply.

I think it's quite qood and a little twisted.

PS I played you a number of these in my car in Spalding.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'm disappointed by that reply.

I think it's quite qood and a little twisted.

PS I played you a number of these in my car in Spalding.

Ever the corruptor, hey Dave? :unsure:

Social source share

I've got a copy of it, never considered it northern sou though :g:

James, you are really getting the hang of the NS thing, EVENTUALLY, have to agree on this one , niether have I.

By the way the first 25 mins of your set at Prestatyn was great, then, ooops you did it again, love you really :lol:

QoFxx

Social source share

Not one of our m8 siz,s best moments mark,always loved the bellvue dayers wonder what happened to martin christy.

Siz had a few decideely dodgy plays through the years but he was and still is a very good dj. Dont know about martin christy will ask siz when i see him again.

mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!