Twisted Oldies

Guest James Trouble

Apologies if this has been mentioned already but how about Velvet Hammer's "Happy". It seemd to going through another revival at the moment. It's incredibly popular and sounds like nothing else - personally I've never got it!

Social source share

• Replies 278
  • Views 19.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest James Trouble

Just read this entire thread and the memories came flooding back I loved a lot of these twisted tunes , We just danced to stuf without predjudice back in the day it was a good laugh .

Here,s one DC Larue - Cathederals :thumbup:

Cleethorpes?

So many of these Cleethorpes type tunes would surely be rejected these days as 'disco' or 'jazz funk'?

Social source share

Funny thing that Dalton James : after consuming the contents of the medicine cabinet it sounded great at the Torch but sadly lacking in todays straightened times. Then again Wombat was massive at the Cats but hasn't aged as well as me...Mind you Mitch Ryder was a f**kin legend. "You Get Your Kicks" ??? Built for speed as they used to say in car showrooms.

:thumbup:

The Gorden Gin Theme is excellant and one of if not the shortest Northern sound and very rare, it was played in Wolves circa 72 defanatly a UK collectors Jem and it still sounds good today value wise def not a sale item? :lol: DAVE KIL

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Prince George - Wrong Crowd

Skullsnaps - I'm your pimp

Moments - I've got the need

I agree with these picks, but i hope the joker who added "stranger in my arms" was just looking for a cross response- and you got one! :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Siz had a few decideely dodgy plays through the years but he was and still is a very good dj. Dont know about martin christy will ask siz when i see him again.

mark

M.J.C EVENTUALLY finished University,

and is now, I am told,a Barrister.

Now, that is Twisted

:thumbsup:

Tony

Social source share

Theme from the Coloured man

ha! Now that is twisted as is

Black power - James Coit and

Theme From The Fantastic Plastic Flying Machine by Harry Betts (covered as Jealousy! :unsure: )

Sensitive Mind - General Assembly

kin' loved harry betts wen it was played, one very fast instrumental, would need roller skates to keep up with it now :thumbsup:

Social source share

James!

James, James, James!

Now I don't know who to have a pop at here?

You alone, or the seven (that's Errrr Yah - '7'!!) pages of folk that have understood your question well enough to reply with tracks that strangely make sense within the context of your initial 'odd' question.

Nowt 'twisted' about the left-fielders mentioned on this thread, all simply tracks that got played and were given enough dancefloor space to be deemed 'Northern Soul' records - although I did laugh to the immediate 'Cleethorpes' response.

Northern Soul is a democracy, the majority deem that term - now, marginalise yourself by all means, be a Lib Dem if you must.

The dancefloor dictates....err....and I'll leave it at that I think!?

Social source share

Just joined this website and the memories came flooding back when I saw Dalton, James & Sutton featured here. I thought you chaps might like to hear the story behind it`s appearance on the Northern scene. I went to New York in the Summer of `72 with my brother (Steve Frost) We travelled all over the city searching for records from Harlem and the Bronx to Bleeker St in Greenwich Village (anyone remember House of Oldies ?) We came back with hundreds of records many of which were unknown at the time (Steinways on Oliver springs to mind). Well Dalton James and Sutton on National General was one that I bought blind in a pile of about 100 demos for 5 cents each from a junk store in Middletown. It was obviously white and rock when I played it but I thought it had a bit of Northern potential, so when I got it home I peeled the labels off it and made up a label using coloured gummed paper and letraset and renamed it Run Baby by The Marshall Brothers on the DELMAR Label. Steve was DJ at the Fantasia in Quorn Leicestershire at the time and I think he played it once. A few weeks later we went to The Torch and I took the bogus Marshall Brothers in my sales box. One of the London guys (May have been Dave Rivers or Mick Smith) had a copy of Nolan Chance -Just Like The Weather on an Emidisc and i wanted to do a trade for it. I told him The Marshall Brothers was a stomping northern track and we got Martyn Ellis to play it. It sounded awful on the crap sound system they had at the Torch but because the bass was so distorted it almost drowned out the vocal and the dancers seemed to like it. Anyway the trade was done I got my Emidisc of Nolan Chance and The Marshall Brothers embarked upon their strange and eventful Journey on the Northern Scene. Not sure how long it took for the real artists to be revealed but Neither Steve or myself ever owned up to the scam until now !!!

Keep the faith

Chris Frost

Godzilla said:
I think it's too subjective. I've argued for years that Roscoe & Friends- Broadway Sissy is out and out funk, but lots of people can't see it. And fair enough to 'em too. You could argue that any new release played from the disco age isn't really Northern Soul. Or you can argue that it is by virtue of being played in the clubs. Mitch Ryder was a pretty wild Rock n Roll act but his records were accepted early on. Then of course there's the Human Beinz: first of the garage tunes to played?

The instrumental to "six o'clock" booted as Supertime is deffo an easy listening cut. Lot's of the UK covers played by Minshull etc are beat tunes, as are some of the UK originals like John Andrews (fantastic) and John Drevars (dire).

Did I mention Gordon's Gin?

How about this for a bit of heavy rock then? My contender for worst tune played too, although as it's on youtube some nutcase obviously likes it ohmy.gif

Social source share

Jimmy Bo Horn " If you want my love"

Deep South Band ? forgot the title huh.gif

biggrin.gif

Deep South Dance Band was "Don't it make you feel good" I love that tune! Found it in a box the other day, had forgotten how much I liked it. Thank heavens for dj's like Poke.

Best,

RB

Social source share

• 4 months later...
On 25/03/2009 at 09:20, Godzilla said:

I think it's too subjective. I've argued for years that Roscoe & Friends- Broadway Sissy is out and out funk, but lots of people can't see it. And fair enough to 'em too. You could argue that any new release played from the disco age isn't really Northern Soul. Or you can argue that it is by virtue of being played in the clubs. Mitch Ryder was a pretty wild Rock n Roll act but his records were accepted early on. Then of course there's the Human Beinz: first of the garage tunes to played?

The instrumental to "six o'clock" booted as Supertime is deffo an easy listening cut. Lot's of the UK covers played by Minshull etc are beat tunes, as are some of the UK originals like John Andrews (fantastic) and John Drevars (dire).

Did I mention Gordon's Gin?

How about this for a bit of heavy rock then? My contender for worst tune played too, although as it's on youtube some nutcase obviously likes it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Cleethorpes?

So many of these Cleethorpes type tunes would surely be rejected these days as 'disco' or 'jazz funk'?

It wasn't only Cleethorpes that played these type of record. the Mecca, the Ritz and even Wigan played alot of them.

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Hi Cliff , Brand new start is fantastic Deep isn't it , this is in a very funky vein , but it's got something I think .Let me know what you reckon ? Best,Eddie

Hi Eddie, yeah Brand New Start is absolutely awesome....just taken a quick listen to the flip...amd I'm not getting anything from it...maybe it's a grower ??

Social source share

Shake your thing - Winfield Parker [ Arctic ] , whats folks opinions of this ? Was thinking of playing it out ......Best,Eddie

It's been played out at 'Funk' gigs since I heard Keb play it at the precursor gigs to Deep Funk - so around 1992-3. It was one of the few records that he pitched the speed up. He shifted it to +8, and surprisingly, it works really well.

Edited by Greg Belson
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!