Solid Hit Soul London This Friday 8th May Late Addition Jon Downs

After another lengthy lay off SHS is back with a different venue, different area .........& a different resident DJ.....& we're kicking off on Friday 8th May :(beer.gif

Finding a venue suitable for a soul night in central London is bloody difficult, The City Pride was only ever a stopgap as it was far too small & although I wanted to stay in the KingsCross/Farringdon area it just wasn't possible unless we agreed to turn the music down at 11pm or pay night club prices for bottles of beer at the venues I did manage to find.

The only way for SHS to carry on was to move & after wearing out the show leather I've managed to track down a great basement bar at The Shooting Star, 125 Middlesex Street, London E1. Take no notice of the E.1 postcode because it's only a 3 minutes stagger from Liverpool Street railway & tube station & a whole multitude of bus routes.

If this means anything to beer drinkers, it's a Fullers pub (I'll stick to perrier as usual) the basement has it's own bar & wooden flooring throughout & it's more than twice the size of the City Pride so space to dance again!

So all good news ? Well not quite because we've managed to lose a DJ! That young scallywag Gene Robertson has decided to hang up his loud shirts & step away from the decks, though he has threatened that the shirts could make occasional return appearences on the dance floor.

A big thanks to Gene for consistently playing sets of quality music over the last few years & he will certainly be missed, as will his high speed dashes to the loo halfway through his set. ohmy.gif

We are very pleased that Shane Cox has agreed to step in to fill the gap. Shane has previously guested at SHS on a couple of occasions so you know the quality that he will bring. As well as many guest spots in the South he is also an occasional guest at the mighty Wilton Allnighters & you don't get on there unless you can bring some quality to the decks. No pressure then Shane

Times are as before 8pm-1am

Music Policy as before: 60s 60s 60s Niter biggies, semi knowns & underplayed oldies + some quality better known stuff all aimed at the floor.

£5 Entry

Edited by SHSDave
  • Replies 67
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Mrs Simsy

I would have really liked to have come to this but i go on holiday on the 6th! rolleyes.gif

I hope that it goes really well & will look forward to coming to the next one! :(

Excellent news Dave! Although I have now 'retired' from DJing, I look forward to giving my regular support as a punter - would recommend all have their dark glasses to hand, as the loud shirts could well make a reappearance!

Shane is an excellent addition to SHS and, along with you, Des and Stuart, will make one hell of an excellent nite! Looking forward to seeing you all there......and keep that toilet door open!

I remain,

Your young Scallywag, :rolleyes:

Gene

Edited by Gene-R
Guest Mrs Simsy

Give me a ring on the 8th & we'll play down the phone to you :lol:

Enjoy hols :rolleyes:

:D

Well i'm going to Ibiza with the girls (it was cheap!) so i'll sneak off & make a call! :lol: I have heard that theres a soul & funk bar there though so that's where i'll be found most of the week!

Have you got a date for the next one?

Nice one Dave, great venue too, only a stone's throw from Liverpool Street station.. :rolleyes:

looking forward to this

Jon

Excellent location, slight logistics problem though, 1a.m. close and last vomit comet to Essex leaves Liverpool St at 10 to 1 :D I can see trouble ahead :lol::lol:beer.gif bags of time left huh.gif

Nice one Dave, can we have an announcement for those who get easily confused late at night that it's time to fcuk off :D

Taff

Oh Poo! I'm on lates that day, although things could change by then. Middlesex Street is the one that's one way isn't it? Used to have market stalls halfway down? unsure.gif

Anyway glad to see you're back. What with it being May I'm sure that means the breakout of the Greenhill Knees! :ohmy:

No idea Ian on one way or market stalls, come out the main entrance of the Railway station cross over the road turn left & it's the 2nd (I think) turning on the right & the pubs about 50yards down. I'll check on that & the parking.

Greenhills knees ? hmm we'll have to see mate, I'm not sure if they scare people away ohmy.gif

Be good to see you mate if you can wangle those shifts :)

Guest outonthefloor

Great news indeed and Shane is a great addition to the SHS family.

Was with him n Julie Sat nite in Plumstead where he span a few and he has some great tunage.

Hopefully will get to a couple of these nites other things permitting but I'm sure Mark will be at everyone....5 mins from Liverpool Street he wont be able to avoid it .....lol xx

Good luck with this guys

Helen

xxx

Edited by outonthefloor

Well i'm going to Ibiza with the girls (it was cheap!) so i'll sneak off & make a call! :g: I have heard that theres a soul & funk bar there though so that's where i'll be found most of the week!

Have you got a date for the next one?

No date sorted as yet, it was a case of "ooh a venue", go & look "yes please" book 1st date & then worry about who can make it. Equipment sorted, DJs sorted apart from Des who's in the States but has now got back to me to confirm so it's all systems go ! :yes:

They know we want it every 2months & are agreeable...........all we need is a good turn out May 8th :unsure:

Guest aaaaa

great news dave :lol: and right by liverpool st station evan better for us essex boys. :lol: ps i wont remind you that ages ago i told you to look in that area :shhh see you down there mate martin

Guest aaaaa

Oh Poo! I'm on lates that day, although things could change by then. Middlesex Street is the one that's one way isn't it? Used to have market stalls halfway down? :lol:

Anyway glad to see you're back. What with it being May I'm sure that means the breakout of the Greenhill Knees! :lol:

Thats the one ,also known as PETTICOAT LANE. yes.gif

great news dave :yes: and right by liverpool st station evan better for us essex boys. :) ps i wont remind you that ages ago i told you to look in that area :shhh see you down there mate martin

You don't need to remind me mate, that was the first thing that I thought of :P ha ha

But as you know I did want to stay Kings X area for my after club activities :P .....only joking wink.gif

See you there thumbsup.gif

Dave

Guest CapitolSC

You don't need to remind me mate, that was the first thing that I thought of :wub: ha ha

But as you know I did want to stay Kings X area for my after club activities :D .....only joking wink.gif

See you there :lol:

Dave

Best thing I have heard in a long time with the best club with the best tunes roll on the next SHS! :D

Guest in town Mikey

I think I'm going to wait and see what the clubs policy is on shorts before I venture back over there ;-)

Good luck guys. Shane was a guest when Karen and I made the trip last year. He played, as I remember, an excellent spot.

Almost resigned myself to the fact that this wasn't going to be, so pleased to see a new home for what will hopefully be a cracking event!! Credit must go to Dave for doggedly trying to find a suitable venue, and not taking the first shit hole available!!!!

Des Parker

Which number shit hole did Dave pick? :rolleyes: ..... Joking aside I have looked at the venue on line and it looks great...Kings Cross would be better for me but a Fullers pub beats an O'Neills anyday.

Finally , well done Dave looking forward to it already. Would any kind local folk be able to give the low down on parking? Cheers Mark.

I did ask the manager Mark & they're supposed to be finding out for me although I'm actually going over there tonight to pay a deposit, so hopefully there'll be some info on street signs etc.

Gonna be a bit difficult equipment wise if it's a no no :thumbsup: ...........& for Des sales boxes !

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE !!!

Unfortunately due to work commitments Stuart Tyler won't be able to fly over to join us at our new venue :boxing: (hopefully he'll be over for our next night ?)

To try & make up for that we have managed to recruit Tony Smith to step in & come & play a guest spot for us :thumbup:

Blimey we do try & spoil you at Solid Hit thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

As a few travellers are coming to this thought I'd post a few hotel details. The three I've detailed are all just a few minutes walk/stagger from the venue

Travel Lodge Aldgate East twin room with all you can eat breakfast £89

Club Quarters Gracechurch St Standard room £79 Breakfast £13.50 :D

City Hotel Osborn St E1 6TETwin/Double £80

Triple room £105

Found the City Hotel on www.discounthotels.co.uk

For other hotel in the area (there are a few) go to site, type in London for city required & on next page there is a box "show hotels near landmark" click on the box & scroll down to Liverpool st underground station....hey presto hotels for the area :lol:

of course you could just order your wife/husband/mate to lay off the drink & drive you home :)

Hope to see you there

dave

UPDATE !!!

Unfortunately due to work commitments Stuart Tyler won't be able to fly over to join us at our new venue :D (hopefully he'll be over for our next night ?)

To try & make up for that we have managed to recruit Tony Smith to step in & come & play a guest spot for us :)

Blimey we do try & spoil you at Solid Hit :lol:

Excellent choice Dave

Guest the major

Great stuff, not too far from SE1 - sounds like a plan.

Towerfull O' Soul

In the Cellar @ The River Bar 207 Tower Bridge Road SE1 2UP

7-midnite £3 OTD

Fri 22 May - The Major, Ginger Dave, Roger Hill

Fri 24 Jul - The Major, Ginger Dave, Roger & Ed, and the legendary Jo Wallace !!

Come to Listen, Stay to Dance.

Great to hear you're back Dave and (whoopee) only a 3 min stagger to Liverpool St :thumbup:

Only downside (bugger) will be away on hols on 8 May :thmbdn:

Best of luck!

Well... I won't be :thumbup::D:thumbup:

Looking forward to this one!!!! Has to be the nearest venue to me.... :thumbup:

Well... I won't be thumbup.gif:ohmy::D

Looking forward to this one!!!! Has to be the nearest venue to me.... :D

Looking forward to friday, thanks for all the good wishes etc. Should be a great night lots of people coming + great underplayed & semi known tunes + whatever newies Des has turned up :lol:

See you friday :D

dave

Wer be coming along dave so see you there :thumbsup: btw dont forget to the snake in your box. :g:

ohmy.gif Blimey Martin we haven't got enough hours to play all the good stuff..................so you may have a long wait, you better buy a season ticket :thumbup::lol:

After another lengthy lay off SHS is back with a different venue, different area .........& a different resident DJ.....& we're kicking off on Friday 8th May :no::thumbup:

Finding a venue suitable for a soul night in central London is bloody difficult, The City Pride was only ever a stopgap as it was far too small & although I wanted to stay in the KingsCross/Farringdon area it just wasn't possible unless we agreed to turn the music down at 11pm or pay night club prices for bottles of beer at the venues I did manage to find.

The only way for SHS to carry on was to move & after wearing out the show leather I've managed to track down a great basement bar at The Shooting Star, 125 Middlesex Street, London E1. Take no notice of the E.1 postcode because it's only a 3 minutes stagger from Liverpool Street railway & tube station & a whole multitude of bus routes.

If this means anything to beer drinkers, it's a Fullers pub (I'll stick to perrier as usual) the basement has it's own bar & wooden flooring throughout & it's more than twice the size of the City Pride so space to dance again!

So all good news ? Well not quite because we've managed to lose a DJ! That young scallywag Gene Robertson has decided to hang up his loud shirts & step away from the decks, though he has threatened that the shirts could make occasional return appearences on the dance floor.

A big thanks to Gene for consistently playing sets of quality music over the last few years & he will certainly be missed, as will his high speed dashes to the loo halfway through his set. :wicked:

We are very pleased that Shane Cox has agreed to step in to fill the gap. Shane has previously guested at SHS on a couple of occasions so you know the quality that he will bring. As well as many guest spots in the South he is also an occasional guest at the mighty Wilton Allnighters & you don't get on there unless you can bring some quality to the decks. No pressure then Shane

Times are as before 8pm-1am

Music Policy as before: 60s 60s 60s Niter biggies, semi knowns & underplayed oldies + some quality better known stuff all aimed at the floor.

£5 Entry

hi Dave

Glad you found a new venue mate , hope all goe`s well with this one

best regards steve T thumbsup.gif

Guest GingerDave

Good to see your back Dave ,hope to make it all being well ,always enjoy what Shane plays and look like a good turn out should be a good night ,well done mate

Guest the major

Good to see your back Dave ,hope to make it all being well ,always enjoy what Shane plays and look like a good turn out should be a good night ,well done mate

Deffo going to make it to this one, and only a short hop to Blackheath .. result :lol: ..

The Ginger Ninja :lol: and me good self :lol: will be shamelessly flyering for our opening nite Sarf O' The River.

Towerfull O' Soul

A night of rare, northern and Tamla Motown soul, 6Ts RnB, boogaloo and some early funk.

Come to listen, stay to dance....It's vinyl heaven.

From 7PM 'til Midnite

In the Cellar club, at the River Bar,

206 Tower Bridge Road, SE1 2UP

(Just at the southern end of Tower Bridge) Admission £3 OTD

Friday 22nd May 2009 Djs, The Major, Ginger Dave, Roger Hill

Friday 24th July 2009

Djs, The Major, Ginger Dave, Roger Hill AND SPECIAL GUEST JO WALLACE

:thumbup: It's been a long time since my last Solid Hit and I'm really looking forward to friday. The best way to end a working week if your up town, and probably the best way to start a weekend in London if you're down for one.

I hope all the usual suspects will be there to kick off the new venue (if I can find it. lol) and it'll be good to see my old mate Shane Cox on the decks again. Ain't seen Lucy for a while either - you goin' girl?

- Kev.

:D It's been a long time since my last Solid Hit and I'm really looking forward to friday. The best way to end a working week if your up town, and probably the best way to start a weekend in London if you're down for one.

I hope all the usual suspects will be there to kick off the new venue (if I can find it. lol) and it'll be good to see my old mate Shane Cox on the decks again. Ain't seen Lucy for a while either - you goin' girl?

- Kev.

Cheers Kev, funnily enough I pm'd Lucy yesterday but haven't had a reply yet.

DIRECTIONS

As you come out of the main entrance of Liverpool Street station onto Bishopgate, crossover & turn left past the Kentucky salmonella shop & the Police Station 2nd turning on the right is Middlesex street with a pub on each corner, Dirty Dicks & Woodin's Shades. Turn down Midllesex Street & the Shooting Star is 50yards down & we will be downstairs @ 8pm ......form a queue with no pushing !

For anybody driving there is street parking after 6.30pm

For those who like to get the most out of their evening i.e. get there early, more beer, more time to spend with friends & more to the point more time to listen to great music we are pleased to let you know that Jon Downs has agreed to start the evening off at 8pm. We don't do "warm up" DJs, at Solid Hit we only have DJs who we believe will bring something extra to the night & Jon is certainly capable of doing that. With many brilliant records in his playbox he will be kicking off Solid Hit with 100% Northern.

So no dreary armchair music :yes:

See you there

dave :D

Guest CapitolSC

UPDATE !!!

Unfortunately due to work commitments Stuart Tyler won't be able to fly over to join us at our new venue :lol: (hopefully he'll be over for our next night ?)

Such a shame we can not make it :rolleyes: , it's gonna be a cracking night by the looks of things, next time though :( , Stuart has some nice new tunes too :lol: .

Have a good one :yes:

For those who like to get the most out of their evening i.e. get there early, more beer, more time to spend with friends & more to the point more time to listen to great music we are pleased to let you know that Jon Downs has agreed to start the evening off at 8pm.

See you there

dave :yes:

:rolleyes: 8pm ?!!!

:D I thought you started earlier than that. What am I gonna do for 3 hours then?