Speaking The Unspeakable - Soul Blind Spots

Anyone ever felt that they just didn't get an absolute Northern Soul Classic that everyone else raved about. Kept listening to it in case it suddenly clicked but it never did !

All the time agreeing with everyone else what a great record it was rather than invite peer disdain by being honest and admitting that you just didn't see what everyone else saw in the record in question,

Persevered but eventually being forced to admit that it never will. Anyway I'm outing myself, I know it's me, i can't help it it's....

The Del Larks Job Opening

I know it's a classic Male Group Northern Soul super rarity but to me it just sounds a mess. ( I know )

Anyone else got a skeleton in the cupboard ? It's allright it'll go no further...

Feel free to unburden yourself, I don't want to hear about the ones we all know that split opinion or just popular dance floor fillers of the moment but stone classics that for some reason you just don't get!

Andy

Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Anyone ever felt that they just didn't get an absolute Northern Soul Classic that everyone else raved about. Kept listening to it in case it suddenly clicked but it never did !

All the time agreeing with everyone else what a great record it was rather than invite peer disdain by being honest and admitting that you just didn't see what everyone else saw in the record in question,

Persevered but eventually being forced to admit that it never will. Anyway I'm outing myself, I know it's me, i can't help it it's....

I know it's a classic Male Group Northern Soul super rarity but to me it just sounds a mess. ( I know )

Anyone else got a skeleton in the cupboard ? It's allright it'll go no further...

Feel free to unburden yourself, I don't want to hear about the ones we all know that split opinion or just popular dance floor fillers of the moment but stone classics that for some reason you just don't get!

Andy

Dont know if this comes under the sort of thing your talking about however....

i have listened and listened.... i wanted to like it........ i have asked someone else "is it just me as everyone seems to be raving about it"....

i just dont get it, it does absolutely nothing for me.....

i probably shouldn't say but i can't hold back any longer....

Rotations :unsure:

just my opinion but there ya go, i've said it :D

Social source share

Mine is Don Ray "Born A Loser".

I heard people raving about this years ago and when i eventually heard it, i thought it sounded like a bad Eurovision Song Contest entry.

Oh and am i the only person that simply doesn't get why The Delcos "Arabia" is so popular? :unsure:

Social source share

What Kind Of Lady - Dee Dee Sharp

Let Her Go - Otis Smith

Girl Across The Street - Moses Smith

Nothing Can Compare To You - Velvet Satins

'Cause You're Mine - Vibrations.

All stone classics to some ears - but not mine. However, I LOVE the Del Larks !!

Social source share

I heard people raving about this years ago and when i eventually heard it, i thought it sounded like a bad Eurovision Song Contest entry.

Oh and am i the only person that simply doesn't get why The Delcos "Arabia" is so popular? :unsure:

Just played Don Ray and Del Larks again as they were handy.

Don Ray still sounds fine to me, obviously pop so would polarise opinion but has a certain charm and I love the lyric (Probably because I can associate with the "Why wasn't I born good looking bit?)

Del Larks still the same though.

Andy

Social source share

Let Her Go - Otis Smith

All stone classics to some ears - but not mine. However, I LOVE the Del Larks !!

:unsure: ..shocking! 4/5 are my fav's..

I know what you mean though, Barbara mcnair - your gonna love my baby baffles me.. many will rush to the dancefloor and I just don't see why!.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Let Her Go - Otis Smith

What!!!

4 of these ara amongst my favourites and I can tolerate the other and Barbara McNair I also like.

That's a hefty burden you've got off your chest there ! Are you sure that it's not just that you're tired of them rather than never got them? I go through that phase with many overexposed classics but they usually come back good as ever after a rest.

Andy

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Key To My Happiness.....The Charades.

Never understood why many think this is great!!!! :unsure:

...Never understood why ANY think this is great!!!!! :D

Social source share

What!!!

4 of these ara amongst my favourites and I can tolerate the other and Barbara McNair I also like.

That's a hefty burden you've got off your chest there ! Are you sure that it's not just that you're tired of them rather than never got them? I go through that phase with many overexposed classics but they usually come back good as ever after a rest.

Andy

Honestly never liked any of them - reasons below

What Kind Of Lady - Dee Dee Sharp (Ms Sharp,who I adore, becomes Ms Shouty on this)

Let Her Go - Otis Smith (SingalongaMax chorus)

Girl Across The Street - Moses Smith (Dreadful lyrics)

Nothing Can Compare To You - Velvet Satins (Rock & Roll)

'Cause You're Mine - Vibrations. (Extremely noisy)

Social source share

Agree. Don sings like a f--king loser! :D Delcos is shite too! I like this thread.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...You're my new best friend, you are!

Unmitigated garbage. "The Pub Singer" with an on-the-fours beat. Makes Gary Lewis sound like Sam Dees...

Social source share

Dont pity me - Joannie Summers

Never got it

www.raresoul45.co.uk

THIS IS A GREAT THREAD

BUT ISN'T THIS ABOUT THE STRENGTH OF THE SCENE - WE ALL LOVE RECORDS OTHERS CAN'T STAND , AND WE ALL HATE RECORDS OTHERS LOVE, BUT WE ALL GO OUT AND DANCE AND DRINK TOGETHER ? THAT'S WHY IT'S LASTED THAT LONG MAYBE.

ANYWAY, TO THE THREAD, THIS BEAUTIFUL DAY - BY LEVI WHATEVER HIS NAME IS. WHAT'S ALL THAT ABOUT ?

Social source share

Yes, what I was trying to get at, in starting this thread, was the strange feeling that whilst we all love the tons of records which populate the scene there's often one that you're in a minority of one on. In my case it looks like I'm alone on the Del Larks. I hold my hand up, it's me !

What is interesting is that I nearly said the Charades as I've always considered this a fast tuneless track which al;so did absolutely nothing for me. Knowing it was such a chronicler of the Scene as Kev Roberts' favourite track I seem to recall reading,then although I could own up to the Job Opening, I didn't have the confidence to reveal the Charades was my guilty secret also.

Off out now but when the dance floor is packed to Eddie Bishop - Call Me, I might again say to myself, "is it me ?"

Andy

Social source share

salvadors - stick by me baby....never rated this at all, while most people will say this is what northern is all about

come on :) that is just a wind up surely :lol:

ok, I get the joke.....you had me going for a little while then :)

Social source share

I actually like most of the songs already mentioned.

If I had to pick one that really does me in , it's "What Shall I Do" by Frankie and the Classicals.

I'd rather listen to 2:28 of someone scratching their nails against a chalkboard- sheer torture

for me.

Ditto for "Moonlight Music In You" by Laura Greene.

Social source share

Andy

andy,totaly agree cud neva get me ead round the del larks,mind you cud name afew but just got in.ktf.
Social source share

I actually like most of the songs already mentioned.

If I had to pick one that really does me in , it's "What Shall I Do" by Frankie and the Classicals.

I'd rather listen to 2:28 of someone scratching their nails against a chalkboard- sheer torture

for me.

Ditto for "Moonlight Music In You" by Laura Greene.

Same backing track on those 2 isn't it ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

It wouldn't do for to all like and dis-like the same songs, if we did the scene would be a boring place.

The songs that would have me running to the door would be:-

Major Lance - You don't want me know more - Okeh.

The Vibrations - Cause your mine - Epic.

and a couple that would have running back to the dance floor:-

Lou Ragland - I travel alone - Amy.

Larry Saunders - On the real side - Turbo.

Tower of Power - This time it's real - Warner Brothers.

Gwen & Ray - Build your house on a strong foundation - Bee Bee.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

Guest welshruss

Sorry.....................Frank Wilson - DILY...i,ll get me coat.

and look what my Last Clip Played is.

Edited by welshruss
Social source share

Andy

Know what you mean Andy r/e The Del-Larks but wouldn't have picked that until I saw them at Prestatin a while back.

They started off fine with parts 1 & 2 but just kept it going. Got up to about part 5 then started reading out birthday dedications & it just got a bit too much by the time they got up to about part 17 or so!

Anyway my 2 unburdeners are The Metro's - Since I Found My Baybee & Sister Sledge - Love Don't Go Through No Changes In Me.

Off to room 101 they go.

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

These four have never done it for me either!

We obviously have good taste, sir!

your taste must be heavy metal if you dont like these :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!