Aachen Soul Weekender 2009

Guest Ollo

I want to thank Lazy for another stunning weekend in Aachen.

Perfect organisation, nice venue, brilliant DJ Line up, good food, drinks and Soulies (and always enough talcum on the floor)

what more can you ask for?

Karen, Pete and Mr. Tolbertsen ... I missed ya a bit... :thumbup:

Really had a terrific weekend (thanks also to my beloved Missus :thumbup: ).

The new venue was a good choice in my opinion. :thumbup:

Lazy, MS Dienel, Peter, Ba and all the other DJs announced on the superb line up kept the crowd busy until sun rise.

and the dancefloor packed all night especially on Saturday.

Special thanks to "D¤ngela" who always cares a lot about her Soulies... rolleyes.gif

Lazy... you are a rock star!

Thanks a million!

See you in Bamberg guys!

best pots and dishes

Keep the faith!

Ollo

post-10459-1238413793_thumb.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I want to thank Lazy for another stunning weekend in Aachen.

Lazy... you are a rock star!

Keep the faith!

Ollo

This weekend saw the 3rd Aachen Soul Weekend organised by Lazy & Daniela. Situated just on the border with Holland and Belgium, Aachen is a great town with a vibrant youth who know how to have a good time.

As I live just north of Brussels it's only a 2 hour car ride away, via Brussels airport to pick up me trusty Torch/Mecca bro Bruce got us to Aachen Friday evening at about 8pm. All the DJs and organisers met at Lazy's apartment and from there to the venue. With a Northern and a Mod/Modern room, multiple bars, the place was ideal. The first Friday session started at 10pm and finishing at 6am the event was well attended, the punters being entertained by a total of 13 DJs from 5 countries.

The wonderful thing about the German soul scene is that it comes without any emotional baggage, no returning soulies telling tales of yorn, "in our day" or "reet proper Northern" or chin stroking latecomers worrying about "how many known copies" there could be, an absence of "cant play this there" and suchlike. They like what they like, play what they like and like what they play, a winning formula. :thumbsup:

I had three slots on the Saturday, 23.30pm until 00.15, 02.30 until 03.15 and my last at 05.00 until 05.30am I followed Olivier Bille from Liege, Belgium (more about him a little later) and Barbara Grassi from Genoa, Italy followed me. If you know me I'm very much a mainstream NS kinda guy, my instructions were "Only original vinyl, has to be groovy, a dance record and not too played out" - so loaded with that here are my playlists I can't be exactly sure that the playing order is correct but the records are in the correct time slot.

At this time I need to thank my very dear buddy Bruce, A. For coming across from the UK to be with us and B. For helping me in the decks I have a gammy leg at the moment so can't stand up for long period (or short ones come to that) so Bruce did much of the physical work (even though he lost his glasses and couldn't see what the records were - a right pair of invalids we were but when you glued us together you kinda got one ½ competent DJ)

Playlists Saturday 28th march Aachen Soul Weekend

23.30pm to 00.15am

The Jelly Beans - You don't mean me no good

Mel Torme - Comin' home baby

Art Freeman - Slippin around with you

Can it be me - Mel Williams

Nolan Porter - If I could only be sure

Marv Johnson - Come on and stop

The Cavaliers - Hold to my baby

The Soul Twins - Quick change artist

Willie Kendrick - Change your ways

The Valentinos - Sweeter than the day before

Thelma Houston - Baby mine

Johnny Williams - Just a little misunderstanding

The Constellations - I didn't know how to

Ike & Tina Turner - Dust my broom

7th Ave Aviators - You should'o held on

Bobby Williams - I've only got myself to blame

Dee Dee Sharp - Deep dark secret

Christine Cooper - Heartaches away my boy :D

02.30 to 03.15

The Profiles - Take a giant step

Lorraine Chandler - I can't hold on

The Chalfontes - He loves me

The Ambers - Another love

The Steinways - You've been leading me on

Major Lance - You don't want me no more

Loretta Williams - Baby cakes

Darrel Banks - Somebody Somewhere Needs you

The Tymes - What would I do

The Showmen - Our love will grow

The Velvelettes - These thing will keep me loving you

Marie Knight - That's no way to treat a girl

Edwin Starr - My weakness is you

Nolan Porter - Keep on keeping on

Pookie Hudson - This gets to me

Tyrone Davis - Come and get this ring

Bill ShaRae - I'm gone

The Young hearts - A little togetherness

05.00 to 05.30

Junior Walker - Come see about me

Harold Melvin - Get out

The Vibrations - Cause you're mine

The Volcanos - The laws of love

Nancy Wilcox - Coming on strong

The Marvelettes - I'll keep holding on

Billy Butler - The right track (request of a Brit living in Germany)

Shirley Ellis - Soul time

Sam E Solo - Love is not a game

The Rosebuds - Say you'll be mine

The crowd (and boy! what a crowd it was that turned out Saturday evening, about double of Friday - well done Aachen) seemed to like what got played by all the DJs - we had a ball too. Of course at 06.00am it was all too soon over and that "I don't want it to end" crowd was still hanging about inside and outside the venue - let's hope there's another one soon !!

I need to thank all the other DJs for doing a super job and having very impressive record collections too but most of all to Lazy and Daniela for organising the weekend so well and making us making us very welcome.

Now......about that Belgian DJ...........good heavens !! I've lived 30 years in Belgium and whilst I know there are some record dealers here never ever did I expect to meet a NS DJ and what a super bloke he turned out to be. We didn't get much of a chance to speak as the place was rammed but imagine the surprise when we whips out a Marie Knight, PP Arnold on pink Immediate and a Chapter Five on CBS !! an R & B guy at heart he knows to whip it up............... :(

If you're thinking about going to one of these Continental NS venues this is THE one to go to, you will thoroughly enjoy it, the enthusiasm is huge and the welcome is warm. :)

Well done Lazy you're a true soul brother I went home with some great photos, happy memories and some new found friends, you and Daniela are superstars.

I'll be back............................

Chris L :(

This weekend saw the 3rd Aachen Soul Weekend organised by Lazy & Daniela. Situated just on the border with Holland and Belgium, Aachen is a great town with a vibrant youth who know how to have a good time.

As I live just north of Brussels it's only a 2 hour car ride away, via Brussels airport to pick up me trusty Torch/Mecca bro Bruce got us to Aachen Friday evening at about 8pm. All the DJs and organisers met at Lazy's apartment and from there to the venue. With a Northern and a Mod/Modern room, multiple bars, the place was ideal. The first Friday session started at 10pm and finishing at 6am the event was well attended, the punters being entertained by a total of 13 DJs from 5 countries.

The wonderful thing about the German soul scene is that it comes without any emotional baggage, no returning soulies telling tales of yorn, "in our day" or "reet proper Northern" or chin stroking latecomers worrying about "how many known copies" there could be, an absence of "cant play this there" and suchlike. They like what they like, play what they like and like what they play, a winning formula. :thumbsup:

I had three slots on the Saturday, 23.30pm until 00.15, 02.30 until 03.15 and my last at 05.00 until 05.30am I followed Olivier Bille from Liege, Belgium (more about him a little later) and Barbara Grassi from Genoa, Italy followed me. If you know me I'm very much a mainstream NS kinda guy, my instructions were "Only original vinyl, has to be groovy, a dance record and not too played out" - so loaded with that here are my playlists I can't be exactly sure that the playing order is correct but the records are in the correct time slot.

At this time I need to thank my very dear buddy Bruce, A. For coming across from the UK to be with us and B. For helping me in the decks I have a gammy leg at the moment so can't stand up for long period (or short ones come to that) so Bruce did much of the physical work (even though he lost his glasses and couldn't see what the records were - a right pair of invalids we were but when you glued us together you kinda got one ½ competent DJ)

Playlists Saturday 28th march Aachen Soul Weekend

23.30pm to 00.15am

The Jelly Beans - You don't mean me no good

Mel Torme - Comin' home baby

Art Freeman - Slippin around with you

Can it be me - Mel Williams

Nolan Porter - If I could only be sure

Marv Johnson - Come on and stop

The Cavaliers - Hold to my baby

The Soul Twins - Quick change artist

Willie Kendrick - Change your ways

The Valentinos - Sweeter than the day before

Thelma Houston - Baby mine

Johnny Williams - Just a little misunderstanding

The Constellations - I didn't know how to

Ike & Tina Turner - Dust my broom

7th Ave Aviators - You should'o held on

Bobby Williams - I've only got myself to blame

Dee Dee Sharp - Deep dark secret

Christine Cooper - Heartaches away my boy :D

02.30 to 03.15

The Profiles - Take a giant step

Lorraine Chandler - I can't hold on

The Chalfontes - He loves me

The Ambers - Another love

The Steinways - You've been leading me on

Major Lance - You don't want me no more

Loretta Williams - Baby cakes

Darrel Banks - Somebody Somewhere Needs you

The Tymes - What would I do

The Showmen - Our love will grow

The Velvelettes - These thing will keep me loving you

Marie Knight - That's no way to treat a girl

Edwin Starr - My weakness is you

Nolan Porter - Keep on keeping on

Pookie Hudson - This gets to me

Tyrone Davis - Come and get this ring

Bill ShaRae - I'm gone

The Young hearts - A little togetherness

05.00 to 05.30

Junior Walker - Come see about me

Harold Melvin - Get out

The Vibrations - Cause you're mine

The Volcanos - The laws of love

Nancy Wilcox - Coming on strong

The Marvelettes - I'll keep holding on

Billy Butler - The right track (request of a Brit living in Germany)

Shirley Ellis - Soul time

Sam E Solo - Love is not a game

The Rosebuds - Say you'll be mine

The crowd (and boy! what a crowd it was that turned out Saturday evening, about double of Friday - well done Aachen) seemed to like what got played by all the DJs - we had a ball too. Of course at 06.00am it was all too soon over and that "I don't want it to end" crowd was still hanging about inside and outside the venue - let's hope there's another one soon !!

I need to thank all the other DJs for doing a super job and having very impressive record collections too but most of all to Lazy and Daniela for organising the weekend so well and making us making us very welcome.

Now......about that Belgian DJ...........good heavens !! I've lived 30 years in Belgium and whilst I know there are some record dealers here never ever did I expect to meet a NS DJ and what a super bloke he turned out to be. We didn't get much of a chance to speak as the place was rammed but imagine the surprise when we whips out a Marie Knight, PP Arnold on pink Immediate and a Chapter Five on CBS !! an R & B guy at heart he knows to whip it up............... :(

If you're thinking about going to one of these Continental NS venues this is THE one to go to, you will thoroughly enjoy it, the enthusiasm is huge and the welcome is warm. :)

Well done Lazy you're a true soul brother I went home with some great photos, happy memories and some new found friends, you and Daniela are superstars.

I'll be back............................

Chris L :(

yes i can second the very warm welcome from everybody

did a couple of spots a bit back

with LAZY / MICHAEL RANDAZZO /PEANUT VENDOR /GERHARD B and a whole host of star people

SEE YA PLAYED THE CHRISTINE COOPER ----------ISSUE-------wonder where that came from

yes i can second the very warm welcome from everybody

did a couple of spots a bit back

with LAZY / MICHAEL RANDAZZO /PEANUT VENDOR /GERHARD B and a whole host of star people

SEE YA PLAYED THE CHRISTINE COOPER ----------ISSUE-------wonder where that came from

You know Keith I already had the demo but there's just something about those Parkway issues :thumbsup:

It was great to see Barbara wiggling her backside to it too :D

nuff said! but i also want to say thank you to lazy and daniela for that awesome weekend anne and me had. for me it was once more the "cream of organizing" a weekender in germany, even a more as 100% job by daniela and lazy...or how would you tell it if you feel better at such a place as at your own home? another point which speaks for that is that there were more than 500 paying people over these two days and this is not the usual quantity for german weekenders, especially not for small cities like aachen. it was also a real pleasure for me to play out records alongside with all those great dj´s.

.......keep on keeping on aachen! :lol:

Great pictures !

Would like to say thank you to all who made this fantastic weekend as it was !

See you next year in Aachen !

Lazy

Lazy, my pal,

for sure we will be in Aachen 2010!... :thumbup:

Thank you so much for this nice weekend again.

You are a star!

best pots and dishes!

Ollo

Lazy and Daniela did a really great job :wave: !!!

Me and Kerstin had a good time at your event and felt really welcome. I can`t imagine better hosts.

Thanks for the two sets on friday after Jan couldn`t make it, because he was conterminated from a trip to Thailand.

Great packed two room venue, a lot of really good DJ sets, free beer ...what a perfect weekend!

DANCEFLOOR SUPERVISING SUCKS :yes:wacko.gif:hypo: !

Edited by Ralf Mehnert

Chris,

If you and Bruce are planning on 2010, count me and Bev in. Keep us posted Matey. See you in Mojacar in Sept if not before.

We'll be there Dave, plus we'll bring a few others from London and the Bury area. You'll be able

to get some cheap flights with German Wings/Air Berlin/Etc.............................. :unsure:

Chris L

Without a doubt THE tune of the weekend.................... :)

Also played in the chill out room in Chicago and then requested in the Main Room the following night.

Top drawer performance from everyone involved, at the top of their game. Sheer quality.

"DJs" - Forget Epitome of Sound for a few years and dig out a few more like these!

Also played in the chill out room in Chicago and then requested in the Main Room the following night.

Top drawer performance from everyone involved, at the top of their game. Sheer quality.

"DJs" - Forget Epitome of Sound for a few years and dig out a few more like these!

That Roy Hamilton - Reach out for me is of the same vein, needs a serious airing.

rolleyes.gif

Chris L