Beat Mining With The Vinyl Hoover

Did anyone else hear Keb Darge hilarious and informative account of some of his escapades on this show?

I caught it this afternoon on Radio 4 , I believe it was first broadcast on 28th March.

Not a northern soul show but plenty of relevant issues, worth a listen on BBC i Player

Social source share

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Did anyone else hear Keb Darge hilarious and informative account of some of his escapades on this show?

I caught it this afternoon on Radio 4 , I believe it was first broadcast on 28th March.

Not a northern soul show but plenty of relevant issues, worth a listen on BBC i Player

I did, and enjoyed it. Interesting stories and several familiar names, as well as some obscure ones. 

I particularly liked the moment when the way-too-patient-and-diplomatic interviewer politely asked Darge to take the fag out of his mouth, so we could actually hear what he was saying.

Programme available here.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I caught the tail-end of this brilliant documentary on radio 4 yesterday. Not sure if it's been on before but here it is on iplayer. Some great stories about vinyl archives rescuing collections from obsessive collectors, one guy had so much vinyl he could only reach his bed through a tunnel (in the vinyl) and had buried his turntable under his collection years earlier, so couldn't even play it anymore, they said they also found some rare pieces (an early signed Rolling Stones single) in a spot where his dog had been peeing for the last ten years :rolleyes:

Beat Mining With The Vinyl Hoover

Social source share

Loved listening to this Matt.And Kebs american accent is a giggle and when the geezer tells him to take his fag out of his mouth too :rolleyes::lol:

I have often wondered what happened to that massive collection of vinyl and cds that was advertised some months ago on ebay with starting bids at a million plus quid. Elvis first press originals etc etc and the first ever CD ever made. I wonder if someone bought it??

Edited by sister dawn
Social source share

one guy had so much vinyl he could only reach his bed through a tunnel (in the vinyl) and had buried his turntable under his collection years earlier, so couldn't even play it anymore, they said they also found some rare pieces (an early signed Rolling Stones single) in a spot where his dog had been peeing for the last ten years :lol:

Sounds nice a tunnel of vinyl :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Although I have a substantial collection of around 20000/30000 vinyl spanning all genres...most of mine is stored in my folks attic in Wales...it would be unpractical to bring it with me as I move often...so I have a core collection of around 1000/2000 which I keep with me

My collection pales in comparison to the house DJ Sasha...I'm good friends with his sister Sian and we went round his house many many years ago when he was living in Salford Keys with Laurent Garnier and you could barely get through the door...have never seen so many records in one place!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!