Bye Bye Cheapo Cheapo

I just learned that Cheapo Cheapo in Berwick Street, London finally shuttered it's doors last week.

Cheapo Cheapo was for many years in the late 60's/early 70's THE place where record hounds would congregate whenever they visited London. It was probably the main place in town where any collectors from the North would tend to head for, as there'd always be a few friendly faces and plenty of strippers hurrying between one strip club to another LOL.

On any given visit in the 70's there'd generally be Rouncy, Ady, Ian Clark, Dave Rivers and other assorted Northern fans shooting the breeze and it almost felt like home from home in the middle of Soho, so definitely sad to see it go even though it had radically changed since the 70's.

I can also remember with uncanny accuracy most of the records I picked up there for 25p apiece back in the day which included The Ideals, The Differences, The Vontastics, The Heartbreakers and loads of others. I can only imagine what Ady and Rouncy must have picked up there over the years..........

Shame to see yet another iconic place go. I always used to get a real buzz whenever I got to Kings Cross and hit the tube for Piccadilly Circus 'cos I always I knew I'd find something there..........

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Shit, thanks for that Ian. Apparently miserable Phil the owner has been taken very ill and that sounds like the end of it. The shop was two floors of second hand LPs, often brand new review copies at knock down prices or US imports from some sharp dealing. I remember he had lots of copies of Millie Jackson's Caught Up which I loved so much I would buy spares of to give to friends, particularly good looking female ones.

I got the job on the market stall outside by virtue of downing a pint in one very quickly; my 2.2 from UCL counted for nothing. On my first day it poured down the whole time and I'd sold sod all with half an hour to go and was worrying that I wasn't up to the job. I was saved by two charming pros who must have just pushed a wealthy punter off and decided to spend some of their money on a load of old singles. I never saw them again or indeed ever knowingly served a brass again.

The singles stall was run by two separate charachters John Thorpe a long time blues fan who once ran a shop called The Sky Is Crying. His partner was Graham Stapleton, now a headmaster and brother-in-law to Cat Stevens. He comes down the 100 Club for any live acts or the Xmas party and is involved in Roger Stewart's shop Off Broadway.

I met Ian Clark, Jim Eddleston, Denbo, Ian Levine, Frank Jackson, Ian 'Frank' Dewhirst, Nij Flood, Malcolm Baumgart, Mick Patrick, Pete Wid, Roger Stewart and Tony Rounce who eventually took over from me. It really was the social hub of London's small Northern exiles and local afficianados and along with Dave Burton's Harlequin records 100 yards away, we had a great thing going. There weren't many Northern nights at all probably one every two months in very odd places but we loved all sorts of soul and went down Kings Road in army greens and plastic see through sandals dancing to Wicki Wacky and Tom The Peeper.

Tony and I could write a book a piece on the place but we're trying to work so I'll try and keep it to this for the time being.

If anyone's got any photos, whack 'em up, I've only got a couple of poor ones.

Too many records to mention but the one I remember best was a geezer bringing down a bunch of promos and one was Jimmy Thomas The Beautiful Night promo when it was about the biggest sound in the country. he noticed our eyes pop and said "Is that a good one", "Yes we're giving you a pound on that and 10p on the others". Next day he came down with a box of 25. We only sold them at about £4 each and we made lots of Northern friends with those.

Social source share

I spent many hours at Cheapo Cheapo in the 70s when Tony Rounce was working there, and it's a shame that it's finally closed down. I haven't bought anything there for a long time, but I had at least two copies - possibly three - of Sam Dees' Show Must Go On LP for under £2 each, Jerry Butler's Suite For The Single Girl LP, Contempo's Soul Deep Volume 2 compilation LP (two copies of this as well I think), all brand new and unplayed, and too many singles to count. I remember getting very excited when a Deep Soul section appeared one day - I got Mighty Hannibal's Hymn No.5, Peggy Gaines' Just To Satisfy My Baby and George Perkins' A Man In Love among others that day. Best bargain - although who knew it at the time? - was The Pioneers' My Good Friend James on Mercury for 35p in late 1977.

Social source share

I spent many hours at Cheapo Cheapo in the 70s when Tony Rounce was working there, and it's a shame that it's finally closed down. I haven't bought anything there for a long time, but I had at least two copies - possibly three - of Sam Dees' Show Must Go On LP for under £2 each, Jerry Butler's Suite For The Single Girl LP, Contempo's Soul Deep Volume 2 compilation LP (two copies of this as well I think), all brand new and unplayed, and too many singles to count. I remember getting very excited when a Deep Soul section appeared one day - I got Mighty Hannibal's Hymn No.5, Peggy Gaines' Just To Satisfy My Baby and George Perkins' A Man In Love among others that day. Best bargain - although who knew it at the time? - was The Pioneers' My Good Friend James on Mercury for 35p in late 1977.

Don't go back as far as you guys but have had some lovely cheapies from there. I remember Ion getting Dr Truelove for about a £1.

Social source share

Yes he was always a miserable buggar inside the shop, remember Ady Tony & Ian all working at different times. Did Ian take over from Tony ? Memory's a bit hazy ...alright very hazy.

Do remember loads of stuff picked up there, must have been a load of Heartbreakers cause that's where mine came from, Frances Nero, Darrell Banks on Stax (can't remember the title told you memory was shot but the mid tempo masterpiece) Ready willing & able loads of others. Boots of Cindy Scott Alice Clark Leon haywood baby reconsider I was young then & didn't know better but what an introduction to Northern !

Happy days indeed :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

This pic's on the 6Ts website (I think) but here it is for anyone who's not checked that out.

L To R - Clarky, Jon Buck, Me, Eddie Engel.

Don't think Clarky 'took over' from anyone in terms of ever being employed by Graham and John in the way that Ady and I had been, although he was down there every lunchtime just about and may well have sat in for me/Ady while we went off to get a sandwich or to take a leak...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Think I got my first ever northern import there - the awful Duke baxter "I ain't no scbhoolboy" - there must have been dozens of them! Always a good stopping off place for a very young northern fan whenever I was in the area, never picked up anything particularly rare, and they were 30p each by the time I got there I think, but nonetheless a great place for finding records that I had never heard of before in the "northern" box.

Shame it's gone.

Steve

Social source share

Stumbled across this place by accident in about '72 and bumped into a very knowlegeable guy by the name of Dave Godin.

Still got the vinyl he pulled out and told me I should buy:

Cat Walk......Gerry & Paul; Bok to Bach......Fathers Angels; Get On Up.....Esquires.

What impressed me though was the bloody great "Wants List" he was carrying around :thumbsup: It was a handwritten book.

Social source share

Stumbled across this place by accident in about '72 and bumped into a very knowlegeable guy by the name of Dave Godin.

Still got the vinyl he pulled out and told me I should buy:

Cat Walk......Gerry & Paul; Bok to Bach......Fathers Angels; Get On Up.....Esquires.

What impressed me though was the bloody great "Wants List" he was carrying around :thumbsup: It was a handwritten book.

Those were the days......notebooks with wants in......and they talk about anoraks today

Social source share

but we loved all sorts of soul and went down Kings Road in army greens and plastic see through sandals dancing to Wicki Wacky and Tom The Peeper.

Bloody hell Ady, I'd have loved to have seen that :D

"Tom The Peeper" - Act One! That brings back some memories, disco-funk classic :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Think I got my first ever northern import there - the awful Duke baxter "I ain't no scbhoolboy" - there must have been dozens of them!

...think we had close on 1000 copies upstairs in the storeroom at one point, Steve, it was the one record that you could always guarantee to find at least a couple of copies of in the stall stock somewhere!

They came from John Anderson, as did a lot of Cheapo's stock in the mid 70s, and I'd be surprised if they cost Graham & John more than a penny each...

Social source share

Those were the days......notebooks with wants in......and they talk about anoraks today

The last time I saw someone refer to a handwritten notebook was when I saw a striking-looking and rather eccentric elderly lady in Reckless records in Islington around 2004 frantically digging through the 7" box. I asked her what kind of stuff she was looking for and she went in her handbook and pulled out a thick notebook that had a few pages of her wants listed. The list was incredible - I didn't even know 50% of the titles. Then she showed me the pages with her collection listed and she had a phenomenal collection. Her favorite artist was Ty Karim and she had 'em all plus 100's of other obscurities. I checked with Jeremy behind the counter @ Reckless and everything she had was 100% for real. She'd often ring me @ Salsoul to ask if I knew something she was after and most of the time I didn't. Someone on here must know her...I've forgotten her name but there can't be that many 60+ eccentric old dears who collect obscure Soul but she was right up there with her knowledge. Anyone else bumped into her.........?

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

...think we had close on 1000 copies upstairs in the storeroom at one point, Steve, it was the one record that you could always guarantee to find at least a couple of copies of in the stall stock somewhere!

They came from John Anderson, as did a lot of Cheapo's stock in the mid 70s, and I'd be surprised if they cost Graham & John more than a penny each...

I seem to remember multiple copies of "5 Minutes" - The Differences there as well Tony. I wish I'd have scooped up a few more of those back in the day........

Social source share

The last time I saw someone refer to a handwritten notebook was when I saw a striking-looking and rather eccentric elderly lady in Reckless records in Islington around 2004 frantically digging through the 7" box. I asked her what kind of stuff she was looking for and she went in her handbook and pulled out a thick notebook that had a few pages of her wants listed. The list was incredible - I didn't even know 50% of the titles. Then she showed me the pages with her collection listed and she had a phenomenal collection. Her favorite artist was Ty Karim and she had 'em all plus 100's of other obscurities. I checked with Jeremy behind the counter @ Reckless and everything she had was 100% for real. She'd often ring me @ Salsoul to ask if I knew something she was after and most of the time I didn't. Someone on here must know her...I've forgotten her name but there can't be that many 60+ eccentric old dears who collect obscure Soul but she was right up there with her knowledge. Anyone else bumped into her.........?

That was an erotic dream you had the other night.

Social source share

Such a shame it's gone. I only walked past there last Saturday, hoping to go in. Then I saw the "closed due to stocktaking" sign.

I'd frequent there from around 1979 (either before or after checking out one of the cinema clubs in the area) to the mid-90s and had some lovely finds, mostly at a quid. This was at the time the shop also had a market stall outside it. Probably my best find was a Bobby Guitar Wood on Colt for £1 (yes, the original complete with gold label!). Always remember copious amounts of "Fife Piper" by the Dynatones on HBR, "I Can't Make It Anymore" by Spyder Turner on MGM, "Jump Back In The Arms Of Love" by Bobbi Lynn (the Bobbi Lynns were all water-stained). It even helped stock up my 50s and 60s UK chart hit collection, many records from this section were Mint unplayed in original sleeves. Think my first one of those was a Mint "Guitar Tango" by The Shadows on Columbia for 80p.

During one of my last visits there in 1995, when 45s were relegated to a small wooden box in the corner of the shop, I found a lovely Pye acetate of "That's What Mama Said" by Leonard Whiting for 25p.

Wish I'd had the hindsight to have picked up the Four Seasons EPs on Vee-Jay for £1 each - damn! Well, it was the early '80s, and I had no idea about what they'd be worth.

Suffice is to say I shall definitely be mourning the loss of Cheapo Cheapo, albeit with fond memories.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I can remember opening boxes of multiples of "If You Want A Love Affair", "All Alone By The Telephone" etc., pricing them up at 20p and almost having to beg mates to buy them, by saying things like "you might not want it now, but you will one day..."

Social source share

I can remember opening boxes of multiples of "If You Want A Love Affair", "All Alone By The Telephone" etc., pricing them up at 20p and almost having to beg mates to buy them, by saying things like "you might not want it now, but you will one day..."

I feel a 'Cheapo Cheapo Finds' thread coming on Tone........

Also I loved it because you could generally bolster a nice collection of UK promos and oddball releases for 25p a pop as well because I presume plenty of Promotion guys used to drop stuff off there. It's certainly where I picked up things like Marva Hicks, Paul Kendrick, Skull Snaps, Johnny Williams, Darlene Love etc, etc. The biggest fun was getting back 'em back to Leeds and playing through 'em at home 'cos a lot of that stuff was promoted in London and seldom made their way out of the capital.

I used to think you guys had the greatest job in the world back then 'cos I usually came down in the Summer and my memories are of you or Ady sat at the stall in the sunshine surrounded by 1000's of obscure records and 100's of random strippers and hookers.......naturally it'd be a different kettle of fish on a freezing, pissing down day in November but all in all not a bad gig to do your apprenticeships ay......?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Ian D :thumbup:

Ian......she was, probably still is, a regular at Des Tousaints record fair in Kilburn....deffo a one off !!! Think she still owes me a tenner !!!

Girf

Social source share

Ian......she was, probably still is, a regular at Des Tousaints record fair in Kilburn....deffo a one off !!! Think she still owes me a tenner !!!

Girf

Cheers Girth! I was beginning to think I imagined it or it was another one of my sick fantasies LOL....

I think plenty of dealers will know her - she kinda stands out doesn't she?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

naturally it'd be a different kettle of fish on a freezing, pissing down day in November

Certainly was - I can remember standing out there in a couple of inches of snow in January 1977, and being the onlu stall out in the whole market. Obviously, being a mere employee, deciding to close early was not my call to make.

Plus side is, days like that really hardened me towards the cold, to a point where I could now give most Geordies a good run for their money!

BTW my colleague Dean Rudland reminds me of another 45 that we had an incredible amount of copies of - Johnnie Taylor "Changes", on blue Stax. I don't know how many copies John and Graham had originally, but I can't remember a time - even before Ady worked there - when there were not at least three copies on the racks at any given time, and there were still multiple copies out there in the 80s when Dean bought one...

What a killer record it is, BTW - and a sadly neglected one these days.

Social source share

BTW my colleague Dean Rudland reminds me of another 45 that we had an incredible amount of copies of - Johnnie Taylor "Changes", on blue Stax. I don't know how many copies John and Graham had originally, but I can't remember a time - even before Ady worked there - when there were not at least three copies on the racks at any given time, and there were still multiple copies out there in the 80s when Dean bought one...

What a killer record it is, BTW - and a sadly neglected one these days.

I got my copy of "Changes" from you, and according to my filing system I got US yellow Stax copies of JT's "Take Care Of Your Homework" and "I Could Never Be President" at the same time, probably June 1977. I must have been going through a JT binge...

And "Changes" is one of my favourite 60's Stax tunes.

Social source share

Like Gene I probably didn't start buying from Cheapo 'til 79-80, (there seemed to be record shops on every street in Soho then). I worked around the corner for 10 years from '86 onwards, and used to drop in every few weeks to check, there were still multiples of Mamie Galore "Necessary", just about every 45 The Dells made on Cadet, and quite a few other things on Chess & Checker "Chained to Your Heart-Bobby Moore, Johnny Taylor "Changes" seemed to be there all the time, Yvonne Baker on Junior, sure Johnny Sayles on St. Lawrence came out of there, Lots of Grapevine Red Funk and ABC reissues, the afore-mentioned Loma L.P's, I had about 5 Edwin Starr & Blinky LP's out of there, leaving at least the same behind.

Another institution falls, sad.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've got Roger Stewart standing next to me as I type this - he tells me that the owner of the shop, Phil Cording, has actually died, and about 4 weeks ago.

He was a miserable SOB (Phil, not Roger) but I wouldn't wish renal failure on anyone. I hope his passing was swift...

Social source share

I've got Roger Stewart standing next to me as I type this - he tells me that the owner of the shop, Phil Cording, has actually died, and about 4 weeks ago.

He was a miserable SOB (Phil, not Roger) but I wouldn't wish renal failure on anyone. I hope his passing was swift...

Another great thread would be old time record shops in London. Remember Moondogs in East Ham for instance. Or Brucies down in Lewisham. (I know Tony Ellis knew that place well)! More thoughts anyone?

Social source share

Guest taffy

Another great thread would be old time record shops in London. Remember Moondogs in East Ham for instance. Or Brucies down in Lewisham. (I know Tony Ellis knew that place well)! More thoughts anyone?

Got loads of tunes off cheapos in the 70's along with other shops Vintage on Roman rd,Jim Wilsons Ebony Sounds,Hot Wax in Hornsey [Later at Kentish Town],Ted Carrolls stall on Portobello Road and not forgetting the junkers paradise Club Row and East Lane Market in Southwark.God those were the days hey Dave.

Social source share

Nice one Dave , remember all those Northern sides you found , but were destined for John Anderson ? Best,Eddie

Social source share

Got loads of tunes off cheapos in the 70's along with other shops Vintage on Roman rd,Jim Wilsons Ebony Sounds,Hot Wax in Hornsey [Later at Kentish Town],Ted Carrolls stall on Portobello Road and not forgetting the junkers paradise Club Row and East Lane Market in Southwark.God those were the days hey Dave.

Ted had an opening night cheese and wine piss up for Rock On, I got a looking for you demo for £2 and a few weeks later a Darrell Banks on London for the same price.

One hung over morning at Cheapo fellow barrow boy Dave, who knocked out dresses told me there was a brass plating (I know what he meant but don't know the rhyming slang; plates was for feet and it wasn't anything to do with that part of the body) market lads for free. Being a shy Harboro lad and not feeling at my most romantic at 11 am on a Wednesday morning, I declined.

Social source share

Guest john s

plating (I know what he meant but don't know the rhyming slang; plates was for feet and it wasn't anything to do with that part of the body)

also 'eat', I believe. :thumbup:

Social source share

Ted had an opening night cheese and wine piss up for Rock On, I got a looking for you demo for £2 and a few weeks later a Darrell Banks on London for the same price.

One hung over morning at Cheapo fellow barrow boy Dave, who knocked out dresses told me there was a brass plating (I know what he meant but don't know the rhyming slang; plates was for feet and it wasn't anything to do with that part of the body) market lads for free. Being a shy Harboro lad and not feeling at my most romantic at 11 am on a Wednesday morning, I declined.

You see - another perk of the job. You'll tell me they actually paid you wages as well I suppose! :thumbup:

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

I loved Cheapo's went there every time I was in Soho in the 80's. Never went home empty handed...

built up my Jackie Wilson/Four Tops/Walter Jackson lp collection from there...looking round my Lp shelves even now there's still so many that have £1.80 or £2.20 written in the top corner in biro.

From the stall I remember .....The Chosen Few- Maple w/demo also one on Canyon...on the same day. I've got my second wind-Columbia w/demo........there's too many to list...down side was they were all £1.00 each by then. Good times indeed.

I was really sorry when they stopped selling vinyl outside and concentrated on cd's and videos/DVD's. It was like a magnet. Just gotta swerve past Cheapo's.....won't be long :wave: .

Didn't John's brother work out of Broadway in Fulham then sold cd's in Cambridge Circus then had a cd shop in soho opposite Wreckless? Roger Stewart will remember.

Cheapo Cheapo's R.I.P.

Kev

Social source share

This pic's on the 6Ts website (I think) but here it is for anyone who's not checked that out.

L To R - Clarky, Jon Buck, Me, Eddie Engel.

Don't think Clarky 'took over' from anyone in terms of ever being employed by Graham and John in the way that Ady and I had been, although he was down there every lunchtime just about and may well have sat in for me/Ady while we went off to get a sandwich or to take a leak...

Blimey just shows how the years have taken their toll, could have sworn Ian worked on the stall for a while :wave:

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

Ian D :wave:

Her name is Janette, Ian. Bang into her crossover and sweet soul.

I'd seen her playlist and wants list- both full of scarily expensive items. She's also got something to do with that Dave Mancuso party that gets put on occassionally in a bar in Shoreditch. Real interesting Character.

I used to go in Cheapo Cheapo regularly but didn't really know what I was looking at half the time. Picked up four Eddie Kendricks LPs and a great Luther Ingram one on KoKo all mint for about a fiver once though!

Social source share

Ady, could you explain what you're about for all the non-native speakers? Maybe by PM if it's too embarrassing or offensive :wave:

Social source share

Her name is Janette, Ian. Bang into her crossover and sweet soul.

I'd seen her playlist and wants list- both full of scarily expensive items. She's also got something to do with that Dave Mancuso party that gets put on occassionally in a bar in Shoreditch. Real interesting Character.

I used to go in Cheapo Cheapo regularly but didn't really know what I was looking at half the time. Picked up four Eddie Kendricks LPs and a great Luther Ingram one on KoKo all mint for about a fiver once though!

Yep, that's right! I knew someone on here would know her. She certainly knows her stuff. I usually bump into her at Rare Disco type events but haven't seen her for a year or two...........

Ian D :wave:

Social source share

Ebony sounds outside Leytonstone station as Taff says (e.g. Living Color 20p) now a sex shop I think, the place up at Walthamstow (full of 10p singles), the place iN Streatham (Black Wax) (e.g."Streets got my lady" 10p), Diamond? in croydon by W Croydon station (e.g. Alfie davison etc came out of there as new releases), The Lighting Centre at Petticote Lane e.g. "Brand New" came out of there 25p, the Mile end shop (tricky Dicky?) e.g. 2 x WIl Collins came out of there (30p).I used to spend all day every saturday going round London looking for records......different shopping centres every week. I certainly found my way round town all right and wore a few pairs of shoes out in the process!

Steve

Social source share

Ebony sounds outside Leytonstone station as Taff says (e.g. Living Color 20p) now a sex shop I think, the place up at Walthamstow (full of 10p singles), the place iN Streatham (Black Wax) (e.g."Streets got my lady" 10p), Diamond? in croydon by W Croydon station (e.g. Alfie davison etc came out of there as new releases), The Lighting Centre at Petticote Lane e.g. "Brand New" came out of there 25p, the Mile end shop (tricky Dicky?) e.g. 2 x WIl Collins came out of there (30p).I used to spend all day every saturday going round London looking for records......different shopping centres every week. I certainly found my way round town all right and wore a few pairs of shoes out in the process!

Steve

The good old Lighting centre, Steve Francis I think was the guy selling records, he used to have blazing arguments with the owner along the lines of "please turn that music down!".... "f**k off"!!! :thumbsup: used to buy loads of funk & disco, Benny Troy as new release Carstairs (Pink label.. re-issue?) many others, became good mates for a few years. I used to DJ upstairs in a pub called Clanger in Hounsditch playing funk stuff of the day while a mate played Philly Int. etc etc. He used to come along, early doors (6.30 straight after work when there were only a few mates there) I used to play a bit of motown & northern, he almost had a heart attack when I played Exus Trek, couldn't get over the fact that somebody else in London liked Northern. (of course there was quite a few!) After that any 60s stuff he used to hold for me not that there was anything much. I used to go there most lunch times to hear whatever new stuff he had.

Another good one was the "proper" record shop in Chapel Street market. I used to work just around the corner about 80/81. Used to have loads of boxes of 7" motown & soul, dotted around the shop as well as stacks of 12" & albums. 7" were all 10 or 20p. Only problem was they didn't have a deck to play stuff so had to take a chance on interesting looking labels/names etc etc the usual buy blind kind of stuff. Picked up some wonderful C&W wanker.gif & other assorted rubbish but did find Herby Brown on Blue Ash :lol: & Tom

Emmanuel & Ron Experience amongst others. Herby I played & didn't rate it & it sat in the back of a box unplayed & gathering dust for 20 years.

I think the shops a superdrug or something these days :lol:

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist....NCE&Format=

Social source share

I know her from Des's Kilburn Fair - sold her a few things like Charen Cotten on Philomega and The Rhetta Hughes LP. Every time I saw her she'd ask me the same question - 'have I got a Barbara Hall on Tuska'

Social source share

We used to do the record hunting trips in London in the early/mid 70s.

There was me, Phil and Big Dougie, we came down on the train and do the rounds.

Cheapo Cheapo, Black Wax, Record Corner, Harlequin etc. :thumbsup:

One time Phil had his girlfriend Carol with him and we had to do Oxford St. etc as well :thumbup:

Had not seen Big Doug for years and than seen him at about half a dozen Nighters this year.

I don.t think Phil has been to a do since the mid 80s.

The last time I saw Carol was at her 50th a couple or years back. smile.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!