Whats The Rarest Re-issue

Guest KEN-SOUL

Guest martyn

I'm sure Goldspot is a legit first issue. Different take as well.

Thats what I thought as well Pete , just wondered if Frank knew something I didnt :yes:

Social source share

I'm sure Goldspot is a legit first issue. Different take as well.

Have there ever been any other records on Goldspot then? I remember ordering Kenny Smith, George Blackwell and Prince George from Soussan and being bitterly disappointed when Kenny Smith arrived on Goldspot, George Blackwell was a convincing re-press and only Prince George appeared to be real.........

I thought Soussan did the Goldspot version as he was actually in touch with Kenny Smith 'cos I was there when he spoke to him a couple of times a few months later.....

Ian D :shades:

Social source share

I don't know wether its because i origianly come from Bootleg County-where demand for the pressings was great and readily supplied by lots of retailers (and bootleggers) but I have seen dozens and dozens of a lot of the stuff already mentioned.

In fact if i started going around a few mates houses around here I could amass several copies of each-mainly from lads who sold Original items and kept the boots !!!

Probably a Nottinghamshire thing ! :shades:

Rob

Social source share

Just to cover a few things mentioned on this thread that are incorrect.

There is no Edward Hamilton multi-coloured label bootleg. With or without the Mike Terry credit on the label, they were both pressed from the same master-stamper. We have both in stock at the moment and as Pete says they carry a Nashville Matrix.

you do see D.I.Y. black and white copies, coloured in, to try and imitate the original.

Gold Spot Kenny Smith is legit as far as i'm aware, I've found them in the USA a few times, and quite right it is a totally different take and much-rarer than the General American press. The hand of Soussan is an interesting concept, though.

Proffessionals pressed in coloured vinyl is an original, the YELLOW VINYL copy; I only know of one copy, Dickie Watt owns that, I've not checked the matrix details against the black vinyl press, but I will do, next time Dickie visits.

Every record mentioned on this thread as a Bootleg or re-issue are pretty common, we have them all in stock at the moment, so I figure none are that rare, and most collections seem to carry them.

six below are rare bootlegs and by comparison to previous suggstions very rare.

Eddie Daniels - Is He Better Than Me - Boots

Lee Mitchell - The Economy - Roll

Jimmy Conwell - Love Runs Out / Let's Do The duck - Patches

Sandy Wynns - The touch Of Venus - Champion (vinyl counterfeit)

George Blackwell - Can't Lose My Head - Smoke beige label vinyl press plays to fast..a Pete Lawson project.

Darrell Banks - Angel Baby - Atco demo (vinyl counterfeit)

The above you don't see very often, there are more, I'll try and add any that are really rare as they pop into my head.

hope that helps

john

Social source share

There is no Edward Hamilton multi-coloured label bootleg. With or without the Mike Terry credit on the label, they were both pressed from the same master-stamper. We have both in stock at the moment and as Pete says they carry a Nashville Matrix.

you do see D.I.Y. black and white copies, coloured in, to try and imitate the original.

Gold Spot Kenny Smith is legit as far as i'm aware, I've found them in the USA a few times, and quite right it is a totally different take and much-rarer than the General American press. The hand of Soussan is an interesting concept, though.

Proffessionals pressed in coloured vinyl is an original, the YELLOW VINYL copy; I only know of one copy, Dickie Watt owns that, I've not checked the matrix details against the black vinyl press, but I will do, next time Dickie visits.

Thanks for the PM John, I'm doing some Nottinghamshire research on this little Bu**er for you,

looks well if it was a megga rarity that slipped through the next-cast aside for £7 in favouur of a black "Orig" for £15 :shades: --Rarer than Frank then :lol: By the way is the Yellow a "Dull" yellow rarer than bright-(say like Bobby Patterson) yellow ?

Every record mentioned on this thread as a Bootleg or re-issue are pretty common, we have them all in stock at the moment, so I figure none are that rare, and most collections seem to carry them.

I also think this depends where you live in the Country John- I see records over Manchester way in friends collections that they see as "Common", which are sort after over here in Notts, Derby leic,Yorks. I think its down to the shops that stocked them and venues they were sold from.

George Blackwell - Can't Lose My Head - Smoke beige label vinyl press plays to fast..a Pete Lawson project.IS THIS "ONE SIDED" JOHN? Think Ive got that somewhere-is it worth owt ! :lol:

Rob

The above you don't see very often, there are more, I'll try and add any that are really rare as they pop into my head.

hope that helps

john

Edited by Karen and Rob Wigley
Social source share

Sorry John there is a coloured boot, either that or it's an original with no Nashville matrix stamp, I'll try and remember the name of the chap that showed it me and see if he can send up the details. It was definitely not hand coloured in. It was only a year or two back so I distinctly remember it, I had both of them in my hands and compared them. Would I lie to you? :shades:

Social source share

I Don't disbelieve you at all Pete, I will only document what I've actually held myself and I've never ever seen one, can someone show me a copy?

Some of the D.I.Y. ones have been done meticulously, and very convincing. But I'm eager to see a coloured boot with a proper printed label. The guy who did all these really naughty counterfeits sometimes only pressed very limited quantities. As the Sandy Wynns and the Darrell Banks and to some extent the Dalton Boys (all the same source) are pretty rare. Sandy Wynns in particular is very seldom seen.

If anyone has a "genuine" Edward Hamilton - Baby Don't You Weep - Bootleg with a coloured label and no Nashville matrix or an original with no Nashville matrix please PM me or mail it to me ASAP.

Thanks Pete

John

Social source share

I Don't disbelieve you at all Pete, I will only document what I've actually held myself and I've never ever seen one, can someone show me a copy?

Some of the D.I.Y. ones have been done meticulously, and very convincing. But I'm eager to see a coloured boot with a proper printed label. The guy who did all these really naughty counterfeits sometimes only pressed very limited quantities. As the Sandy Wynns and the Darrell Banks and to some extent the Dalton Boys (all the same source) are pretty rare. Sandy Wynns in particular is very seldom seen.

If anyone has a "genuine" Edward Hamilton - Baby Don't You Weep - Bootleg with a coloured label and no Nashville matrix or an original with no Nashville matrix please PM me or mail it to me ASAP.

Thanks Pete

John

It's just that when someone a few hundred miles away mentions it, and I've seen it as well - unless we've both been hoaxed by the same copy! Could happen I suppose.

Social source share

Guest oxo1961

It has crossed my mind several times, as to just which re-released track or tracks are the hardest to find, and most expensive. I have many of the old classics bought in the late 70's, so have a kind of interest. or are they all worth pennies?

What about the Anderson Bros On GSF??

Social source share

ive mentioned it before...but heres the Del Satins/Checkerboard Squares GREEN vinyl boot/ concoction...i didnt buy Dave Alcocks yellow vinyl one..anyone know who bought it?...anyone else got a colored vinyl of this?......if not i claim a share of the prize for rarest boot..... :shades:

post-1770-1238834427_thumb.jpg

Social source share

jimmy raye..must be out of stock .cant see it.( common ? )

Try JIMMIE RAYE not Jimmy.

which one would you like? we have the dark blue counterfeit or the light blue repro..? I'll stick the dark blue counterfeit on the site now, the light blue repro was already up there.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

hope that helps

john

does that include the multicoloured Sam Fletcher? I thought they were pretty rare with just a few of each done?

post-225-1238836221_thumb.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

George Blackwell - Can't Lose My Head - Smoke beige label vinyl press plays to fast..a Pete Lawson project.

hope that helps

john

Hi John

What about the JOHN&THE WEIRDEST TIE boot.Also the DEl-Larks Queen city boot that mirrors the orig design but is blue/white

I have both of these and have ever seen them on sale anywhere for 10+years

Social source share

does that include the multicoloured Sam Fletcher? I thought they were pretty rare with just a few of each done?

Quite a few of the coloured & multi-coloured vinyl boots & all pretty scarce.

Sam fletcher, James Lewis, Pointer Sisters, Eddie Foster spring to mind.

Any more?

Social source share

Quite a few of the coloured & multi-coloured vinyl boots & all pretty scarce.

Sam fletcher, James Lewis, Pointer Sisters, Eddie Foster spring to mind.

Any more?

I remember the Eddie Foster, mentioned it earlier, couldn't remember the others but there wasn't many done of each if I remember rightly, John will confirm one way or t'other.

Social source share

Hi John

What about the JOHN&THE WEIRDEST TIE boot.Also the DEl-Larks Queen city boot that mirrors the orig design but is blue/white

John and the Wierdest do come up for sale now and then. Saw one not too long ago. It is pretty rare though with the date stamped on it.

Social source share

i like that Chalky, very much :shades:

Social source share

Try and answer two questions in one reply.

Chalky,

The Sam Fletcher, Eddie fosters etc, etc pressed in coloured vinyl or multi-coloured vinyls are all ridiculously rare because Bob & Henry only did a few of each for their own amusement. Unless you were close friends with them you never had a chance of a copy. Each multicoloured press maybe as little as five of each, they are all individual no two are the same, of course. So yes the multi-babies are reallyb rare..

The Del-larks blue and white, would sell in access of £50 maybe as much as £75.. i Do have a copy and it turns up occasionally. The John & The Weirdest is fairly common by comparison but a still achieves £75-ish (or £2000) depending on who's selling you it.

I find bootlegs fascinating and have decided this year, to keep 1 copy of everything I get back in stock, so when I go to the vinyl warehouse in the sky. The girls here can carry on the business as usual. and use my file copies as a reference..

Eddie Daniels bootleg I think is just about the toughest to find (barring multi-coloured one-offs).. and the work of P.B. by the way. As is the Lee Mitchell on Roll another P.B. masterpiece.

john

Social source share

I remember the Eddie Foster, mentioned it earlier, couldn't remember the others but there wasn't many done of each if I remember rightly, John will confirm one way or t'other.

Thread about the Yellow Pointer Sisters here Chalky.

Social source share

Chalky,

The Sam Fletcher, Eddie fosters etc, etc pressed in coloured vinyl or multi-coloured vinyls are all ridiculously rare because Bob & Henry only did a few of each for their own amusement. Unless you were close friends with them you never had a chance of a copy. Each multicoloured press maybe as little as five of each, they are all individual no two are the same, of course. So yes the multi-babies are reallyb rare..

The Del-larks blue and white, would sell in access of £50 maybe as much as £75.. i Do have a copy and it turns up occasionally. The John & The Weirdest is fairly common by comparison but a still achieves £75-ish (or £2000) depending on who's selling you it.

I find bootlegs fascinating and have decided this year, to keep 1 copy of everything I get back in stock, so when I go to the vinyl warehouse in the sky. The girls here can carry on the business as usual. and use my file copies as a reference..

Eddie Daniels bootleg I think is just about the toughest to find (barring multi-coloured one-offs).. and the work of P.B. by the way. As is the Lee Mitchell on Roll another P.B. masterpiece.

john

Thanks for the reply John.I have had the Blue/white del-larks for years and my John&Weirdest is minter without the dogey date stamp.I have many original records,but still treasure some of my boots.They are part of my northern soul history,many were bought inside the legendary long gone venues at a time when i didn't have any money to get the real thing.they were then brought back to play in local youth clubs and spread the faith.Another two i love is my Dana Valery copy on the pink Pussycat label,and Lillie Bryant on Tayster

Social source share

Mmmm. Interesting. Are there any other releases on Goldspot then or was Kenny Smith a one-off? I'm pretty sure they didn't emerge until Soussan was doing his limited boots.

When he was trying to counterfeit originals and pass them off he told me that he used to put them into a washing machine wrapped in a sheet and put bits of wood and coins in to try and replicate the wear and tear.......

But the Goldspot thing has got me wondering now. I know Soussan was in touch with Kenny, so is it possible that he got the different mix from Kenny Smith and booted it on another label so that Kenny wouldn't have any problems with the GAR people......?

This would have been exactly the same time as the Lee Mitchell's emerged......

Ian D :unsure:

Social source share

A very refreshing thread.

At one time one was looked down upon to have bootlegs/re-issues in ones collection.

I have many, and like others have said, is part of our personal history in one way or another.

P :unsure:

And of course it does not matter if you thrash them at home!

Social source share

ive mentioned it before...but heres the Del Satins/Checkerboard Squares GREEN vinyl boot/ concoction...i didnt buy Dave Alcocks yellow vinyl one..anyone know who bought it?...anyone else got a colored vinyl of this?......if not i claim a share of the prize for rarest boot..... :unsure:

Most were on red vinyl

Social source share

Hi John

John & The Weirdest is now quite rare but the Del Larks isn't, well it is compared to say Johnny Caswell but not that rare.

Social source share

Mmmm. Interesting. Are there any other releases on Goldspot then or was Kenny Smith a one-off? I'm pretty sure they didn't emerge until Soussan was doing his limited boots.

When he was trying to counterfeit originals and pass them off he told me that he used to put them into a washing machine wrapped in a sheet and put bits of wood and coins in to try and replicate the wear and tear.......

But the Goldspot thing has got me wondering now. I know Soussan was in touch with Kenny, so is it possible that he got the different mix from Kenny Smith and booted it on another label so that Kenny wouldn't have any problems with the GAR people......?

This would have been exactly the same time as the Lee Mitchell's emerged......

So, I'll answer my own question........

"However, there's a good chance you would not be holding this CD right now if it weren't for one song in particular: "Lord, What's Happening To Your People?".

Issued in 1971 as the first and only release on Kenny's own Goldspot label, (originally titled "Lord, What's Happened?"), the record was written to cash in on a particular trend that Kenny describes as the "Jesus-rock era." "It was just a market or a trend that was going on at the time, so I thought it would fit," Kenny explains. Some label owners from Chicago thought that it would fit as well. They picked up "Lord..." to re-release on their General American Records imprint.

However, General American had bigger things in mind for Kenny than the Billboard charts. They made him the Publishing Director of the company and the host of their new television show: Soul Street. Soul Street, for which Kenny also wrote the opening and closing themes, was broadcast in 36 markets around the country and featured a range of guests from local artist Tommy Wills, to more well known acts such as Lynn Collins, the Ohio Players, Little Royal, the Detroit Emeralds, Gladys Knight and James Brown. Soul Street ran for ten episodes, the first nine of which were hosted by Kenny. Behind the scenes, things were falling apart for GAR. A new host was brought in for the tenth episode, and that was it as the studio pulled the plug on the show due to unpaid bills.

Kenny was out of his element in the television studio. By the early seventies Kenny was a seasoned performer and a regular on the regional club scene. Used to the gritty and aggressive atmosphere of the nightclub, the cold, sterile television set was an environment with which Kenny was unfamiliar. Besides being a fish out of water, Kenny was face to face with people who he previously considered to be his idols. ""I got intimidated a little bit, by these people ...I used to worship 'em. James Brown, you know, I did all his stuff, danced like him, everything else. And all of a sudden, here I am in control of this guy, askin' him questions."

However, "Lord, What's Happened" would provide Kenny with recognition yet again in a strange and unexpected way. The song failed to ride the gospel-rock wave that Kenny had tried to latch onto in the U.S., but it got a second shot at success across the Atlantic in the dance clubs of Northern England.

A couple of years after its release in the States, the British Northern Soul scene discovered the record and it became an anthem at the legendary Blackpool Mecca. Demand for the single from British dj's and collectors was high enough that in 1976 that Kenny was tracked down by the infamous French rare soul dealer and producer Simon Soussan. The original contract between Kenny and Soussan's Soul Galore Disco-Sound Productions details how Smith was paid $300 in advance for the right to reissue "Lord What's Happened" for the Northern Soul market and a promise of royalties to come for any copies pressed up and sold. Look more closely, however, and one notices that it is doubtful that any "commercial" copies were ever pressed up, because Soussan had 1000 to 1500 "promotional" copies made beforehand, after which there'd be no need for any commercial copies".

https://www.shakeitrecords.com/cincinnatiso...mith/index.html

But I still think some of those Goldspot ones are dodgy........

Ian D :D

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

So, I'll answer my own question........

"However, there's a good chance you would not be holding this CD right now if it weren't for one song in particular: "Lord, What's Happening To Your People?".

Issued in 1971 as the first and only release on Kenny's own Goldspot label, (originally titled "Lord, What's Happened?"), the record was written to cash in on a particular trend that Kenny describes as the "Jesus-rock era." "It was just a market or a trend that was going on at the time, so I thought it would fit," Kenny explains. Some label owners from Chicago thought that it would fit as well. They picked up "Lord..." to re-release on their General American Records imprint.

However, General American had bigger things in mind for Kenny than the Billboard charts. They made him the Publishing Director of the company and the host of their new television show: Soul Street. Soul Street, for which Kenny also wrote the opening and closing themes, was broadcast in 36 markets around the country and featured a range of guests from local artist Tommy Wills, to more well known acts such as Lynn Collins, the Ohio Players, Little Royal, the Detroit Emeralds, Gladys Knight and James Brown. Soul Street ran for ten episodes, the first nine of which were hosted by Kenny. Behind the scenes, things were falling apart for GAR. A new host was brought in for the tenth episode, and that was it as the studio pulled the plug on the show due to unpaid bills.

Kenny was out of his element in the television studio. By the early seventies Kenny was a seasoned performer and a regular on the regional club scene. Used to the gritty and aggressive atmosphere of the nightclub, the cold, sterile television set was an environment with which Kenny was unfamiliar. Besides being a fish out of water, Kenny was face to face with people who he previously considered to be his idols. ""I got intimidated a little bit, by these people ...I used to worship 'em. James Brown, you know, I did all his stuff, danced like him, everything else. And all of a sudden, here I am in control of this guy, askin' him questions."

However, "Lord, What's Happened" would provide Kenny with recognition yet again in a strange and unexpected way. The song failed to ride the gospel-rock wave that Kenny had tried to latch onto in the U.S., but it got a second shot at success across the Atlantic in the dance clubs of Northern England.

A couple of years after its release in the States, the British Northern Soul scene discovered the record and it became an anthem at the legendary Blackpool Mecca. Demand for the single from British dj's and collectors was high enough that in 1976 that Kenny was tracked down by the infamous French rare soul dealer and producer Simon Soussan. The original contract between Kenny and Soussan's Soul Galore Disco-Sound Productions details how Smith was paid $300 in advance for the right to reissue "Lord What's Happened" for the Northern Soul market and a promise of royalties to come for any copies pressed up and sold. Look more closely, however, and one notices that it is doubtful that any "commercial" copies were ever pressed up, because Soussan had 1000 to 1500 "promotional" copies made beforehand, after which there'd be no need for any commercial copies".

https://www.shakeitrecords.com/cincinnatiso...mith/index.html

But I still think some of those Goldspot ones are dodgy........

I agree. I mentioned this on a sales thread on here a few days ago but I think Keith Williams maintained they were all originals.

They appeared at a time as you said when Simon was passing boots off as originals. Im sure I remember him or someone in cahoots turning up at the Mecca with these and was it Salvadors on dark green, George Blackwell etc

I'd also query John's assertion that Cattaneo only did a couple of copies of each coloured vinyl Eddie Foster as I was at his place in 1980 with Mark Edmund and distinctly remember a whole shelf which musta been 200 or so 45s of red, blue ,white vinyls.

ROD

Social source share

'Affirmative' is the name of the label....solid center.

What about the Young-Blood Smith on Soul World..do they crop up much?

:unsure:

yep :D

post-11139-1238848867_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

Thanks Pete

John

i'm with pete on this one, because ive had one, like i said earlier no run in & very hard to cue in,mine went to kev glaves from sheffield , not sure if he comes on here

Social source share

Chalky,

The Sam Fletcher,.... in coloured vinyl or multi-coloured vinyls are all ridiculously rare because Bob & Henry only did a few of each for their own amusement. Unless you were close friends with them you never had a chance of a copy. Each multicoloured press maybe as little as five of each, they are all individual no two are the same, of course. So yes the multi-babies are reallyb rare..

Funnily enough I once found one in the US (Sam Fletcher that is). Sold it to a mate here in Berlin, he still has it.

Social source share

Guest kevokeh

"just another heaert ache" little ritchie i think on sound is there much off them going around?

still got mine, from the casino.

i remember 2 second reissues of this gem 1..MULTICOLOURED REISSUE 77 RECORDS...1..WHITE DJ BOOT.. BOTH SOUND REALY GOOD.

ANOTHER GREAT GEM...KENNY SMITH..GAR RECORDS...WHITE DJ REISUES...

regards

kev

Social source share

still got mine, from the casino.

i remember 2 second reissues of this gem 1..MULTICOLOURED REISSUE 77 RECORDS...1..WHITE DJ BOOT.. BOTH SOUND REALY GOOD.

regards

kev

I mentioned all 3 versions of Little Ritchie on page 1. Nobody ever reads my posts :unsure:

Social source share

some rarer/more expensive bootlegs/pressings etc from the top of my head..

Victor Knight Chinatown Ron-Cris

Mikki Farrow Set My Heart At Ease Karate

Dennis Edwards Johnnie On The Spot Int. Soulvile

Delreys Inc. Destination Unknown Tampete

Marvellettes Never Too late White Label

Gladys Knight Too Late White Label

Andantes You Got A Funny Way... White Label

Dana Valery You Don`t Know.. Columbia

Volumes Ain`t Gonna Give You Up / Bobby Adams Dr. True Love RSM (?)

Johnnie Taylor Love On A Lease Plan Joanne (..or was it a legit rel. ?)

...more recently:

Tiny Topsy Just A Little Bit Federal

Mike Pedicin Burnt Toast.. Federal

Betty OBrian She`ll Be Gone Liberty

Social source share

some rarer/more expensive bootlegs/pressings etc from the top of my head..

Victor Knight Chinatown Ron-Cris

Mikki Farrow Set My Heart At Ease Karate

Dennis Edwards Johnnie On The Spot Int. Soulvile

Delreys Inc. Destination Unknown Tampete

Marvellettes Never Too late White Label

Gladys Knight Too Late White Label

Andantes You Got A Funny Way... White Label

Dana Valery You Don`t Know.. Columbia

Volumes Ain`t Gonna Give You Up / Bobby Adams Dr. True Love RSM (?)

Johnnie Taylor Love On A Lease Plan Joanne (..or was it a legit rel. ?)

...more recently:

Tiny Topsy Just A Little Bit Federal

Mike Pedicin Burnt Toast.. Federal

Betty OBrian She`ll Be Gone Liberty

Dana Valery isn't rare, they must have sold 5000 pressings of that and 10,000 of the Poppies

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!