Contempo Raries

Reckon the best was Johnny Caswell- Cigarette Ashes

and worst Tamiko Jones-Spellbound

( Think Montclairs were on Contempo but not on raries (coz they'd have won!!!)

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Reckon the best was Johnny Caswell- Cigarette Ashes

and worst Tamiko Jones-Spellbound

Worth noting that Cigarette Ashes was not Johnny Caswell, but Jimmy Conwell and Spellbound was not on Contempo 'Raries' but the main Contempo label.

Other than that, Bettye Swann "Make Me Yours" had its third UK issue on the Raries logo.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Hey thanks for a million for that,much appreciated!!

Don't want to be cheeky but you wouldn't have a track list as

well per chance?!............or anyone else out there!?

Here you are, courtesy of Discogs

A1 Armada Orchestra, The Do Me Right A2 Montclairs, The Hung Up On Your Love A3 Offenbach Judy In Disguise A4 J. J. Barnes Baby Please Come Back Home A5 Billy Joe Young I've Got You On My Mind Again A6 Jackie Lee The Duck Part 1 A7 Marvin Smith Good Times A8 Johnny Williams Just A Little Misunderstanding A9 Doris Duke Grasshopper A10 Armada Orchestra, The It's The Same Old Song B1 Jimmy Conwell Cigarette Ashes B2 Exciters, The Blowing Up My Mind B3 Major Lance The Right Track B4 J. J. Barnes Sweet Sherry B5 Major Lance Gimme Little Sign B6 Incredibles, The There's Nothin' Else To Say Baby B7 Adlers, The The Boy From New York City B8 Bettye Swann Make Me Yours B9 Belles, The Don't Pretend B10 Armada Orchestra, The Cochise

Social source share

Here you are, courtesy of Discogs

A1 Armada Orchestra, The Do Me Right A2 Montclairs, The Hung Up On Your Love A3 Offenbach Judy In Disguise A4 J. J. Barnes Baby Please Come Back Home A5 Billy Joe Young I've Got You On My Mind Again A6 Jackie Lee The Duck Part 1 A7 Marvin Smith Good Times A8 Johnny Williams Just A Little Misunderstanding A9 Doris Duke Grasshopper A10 Armada Orchestra, The It's The Same Old Song B1 Jimmy Conwell Cigarette Ashes B2 Exciters, The Blowing Up My Mind B3 Major Lance The Right Track B4 J. J. Barnes Sweet Sherry B5 Major Lance Gimme Little Sign B6 Incredibles, The There's Nothin' Else To Say Baby B7 Adlers, The The Boy From New York City B8 Bettye Swann Make Me Yours B9 Belles, The Don't Pretend B10 Armada Orchestra, The Cochise

Must admit about 50% are pretty class oldies. cochise being the worst by miles in my book. never seen cigarette ashes?

Social source share

Best - toss up between the Deon Jackson (alt version of I Can't Go On) and Robert Parker (I Caught You In A Lie).

Worst - John Fred and the Playboys?

Bang on with these two, definetly the best two on this label. The Deon version is superior to the US Original. I think Robert Parker shades it though, a truly magnificent cut, with a very distinctive style and feel. The birth of reggae music via the 'choppy' guitar can be heard clearly in this glorious tune and it is no coincedence that it is a record adored by many Jamaicans in their 50s and 60s who first heard it on the radio, blasting from the US to the West Indies when it was a new release. It was of course later a big lovers rock smash covered by Louiza Marks and others.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert