Marvin Smith / Artistics Interview

boba

• Replies 4
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I don't have time to write up a bio today (will do it tomorrow and post a follow-up), but if you are interested, I put up my Marvin Smith interview on my interviews page:

https://www.sittinginthepark.com/interviews.html

thanks,

Bob

here is the bio I wrote up:

Yesterday on my radio show I interviewed Marvin Smith of the Artistics. Marvin Smith was from the west side of Chicago, and first started signing professionally when he left Crane high school to replace Pirkle Lee Moses as lead of the El Dorados. The group cut a record as the Four Eldorados for the Academy label and went to the Bay Area to do perform. The group performed in California for a couple of years, cutting a record under the name the Tempos for the Rhythm label. The group returned to Chicago after work in California dried up.

Upon returning to Chicago, Marvin Smith decided to promote himself as a solo singer. His Crane classmate Major Lance introduced Smith to Carl Davis, who signed Marvin to Okeh records. Soon after signing, Davis had Smith go to a recording session with the Artistics; the Artistics had already released a single - "I need your love" / "What'll I do" for Okeh records in 1963. The Artistics' lead singer, Robert Dobyne, had left the group and Davis had Smith replace him as lead of the group for the recording. The group's first single with Smith, "Get my hands on some loving", actually written by Marvin Gaye and Mickey Stevenson, had a great Chicago / Detroit sound and got some radio play in Chicago. The group's next Okeh single, "Patty cake", also had a nice Chicago sound and received some play. It was not until the group's next single - "This heart of mine" / "I'll come running", that the Artistics finally scored a big hit. Both sides of the record were written by Barrett Strong; the single was one of the most Motown sounding records to come out of Chicago. The group released one more single, "Loveland", on Okeh before Carl Davis left the label and took his groups to Brunswick records.

At Brunswick records, Smith finally got the opportunity to be billed as a solo artist. Davis encouraged the group members to write material and in a single recording session cut what would be Smith's biggest solo record as well as the Artistics biggest hit record. In late 1966, Brunswick records released "Time stopped" / "Have more time" as by Marvin Smith (although he was backed by the Artistics). The record became a big hit for Smith. At the same time, Brunswick released "I'm gonna miss you" as by the Artistics - the record - one of the greatest Chicago soul records - became an even bigger hit than Smith's solo record and got national play. Marvin left the group to promote himself as a solo artist, finding singer Tommy Green to replace him as lead and occasionally performing with the Artistics at shows. Brunswick released 2 more singles on Marvin Smith (all recorded at the same original session), but neither had the success of "Time stopped". After a couple of years, Smith rejoined the Artistics and, at Brunswick records, recorded the excellent "What happened", along with a whole album's worth of standards. The single unfortunately received little radio play and Marvin Smith asked for a release from his contract. The Artistics continued to record at Brunswick with several other lead singers, including "I want you to make my life over" with original lead singer Robert Dobyne as well as their final Brunswick single with singer Jimmy Short, previously of the Accents and Original Breed.

In the early 70s, Smith signed to Curtis Mayfield's Curtom records. The label released the single "You're really something Sadie" / "Who will do your running now" on their Mayfield records subsidiary. The "Sadie" side received a lot of play in Chicago, although the "Running" side later became the collectible track played in "Northern Soul" clubs in the UK. Unfortunately, Smith received little promotion at Curtom and although he cut more material, none of it was ever released. Smith released one final single - "Let the good times roll" / "Ain't that a shame" on Contempo records. The record was produced by Major Lance and Smith finally got to record a song by his idol Sam Cooke; however, the track received little radio play. After the record, Smith left music to focus on his career, occasionally returning to do shows with the Artistics.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest kofi333

here is the bio I wrote up:

Yesterday on my radio show I interviewed Marvin Smith of the Artistics. Marvin Smith was from the west side of Chicago, and first started signing professionally when he left Crane high school to replace Pirkle Lee Moses as lead of the El Dorados. The group cut a record as the Four Eldorados for the Academy label and went to the Bay Area to do perform. The group performed in California for a couple of years, cutting a record under the name the Tempos for the Rhythm label. The group returned to Chicago after work in California dried up.

Upon returning to Chicago, Marvin Smith decided to promote himself as a solo singer. His Crane classmate Major Lance introduced Smith to Carl Davis, who signed Marvin to Okeh records. Soon after signing, Davis had Smith go to a recording session with the Artistics; the Artistics had already released a single - "I need your love" / "What'll I do" for Okeh records in 1963. The Artistics' lead singer, Robert Dobyne, had left the group and Davis had Smith replace him as lead of the group for the recording. The group's first single with Smith, "Get my hands on some loving", actually written by Marvin Gaye and Mickey Stevenson, had a great Chicago / Detroit sound and got some radio play in Chicago. The group's next Okeh single, "Patty cake", also had a nice Chicago sound and received some play. It was not until the group's next single - "This heart of mine" / "I'll come running", that the Artistics finally scored a big hit. Both sides of the record were written by Barrett Strong; the single was one of the most Motown sounding records to come out of Chicago. The group released one more single, "Loveland", on Okeh before Carl Davis left the label and took his groups to Brunswick records.

At Brunswick records, Smith finally got the opportunity to be billed as a solo artist. Davis encouraged the group members to write material and in a single recording session cut what would be Smith's biggest solo record as well as the Artistics biggest hit record. In late 1966, Brunswick records released "Time stopped" / "Have more time" as by Marvin Smith (although he was backed by the Artistics). The record became a big hit for Smith. At the same time, Brunswick released "I'm gonna miss you" as by the Artistics - the record - one of the greatest Chicago soul records - became an even bigger hit than Smith's solo record and got national play. Marvin left the group to promote himself as a solo artist, finding singer Tommy Green to replace him as lead and occasionally performing with the Artistics at shows. Brunswick released 2 more singles on Marvin Smith (all recorded at the same original session), but neither had the success of "Time stopped". After a couple of years, Smith rejoined the Artistics and, at Brunswick records, recorded the excellent "What happened", along with a whole album's worth of standards. The single unfortunately received little radio play and Marvin Smith asked for a release from his contract. The Artistics continued to record at Brunswick with several other lead singers, including "I want you to make my life over" with original lead singer Robert Dobyne as well as their final Brunswick single with singer Jimmy Short, previously of the Accents and Original Breed.

In the early 70s, Smith signed to Curtis Mayfield's Curtom records. The label released the single "You're really something Sadie" / "Who will do your running now" on their Mayfield records subsidiary. The "Sadie" side received a lot of play in Chicago, although the "Running" side later became the collectible track played in "Northern Soul" clubs in the UK. Unfortunately, Smith received little promotion at Curtom and although he cut more material, none of it was ever released. Smith released one final single - "Let the good times roll" / "Ain't that a shame" on Contempo records. The record was produced by Major Lance and Smith finally got to record a song by his idol Sam Cooke; however, the track received little radio play. After the record, Smith left music to focus on his career, occasionally returning to do shows with the Artistics.

GREAT INTERVIEW.VERY NICE LISTENING TO ALL THESE ARTIST.A GREAT PLEASURE

Social source share

Hi Bob!

Very interesting interview! Marvin Smith is an awesome vocalist. A pity he never got to release a solo album. I have just pulled out the following two Artistics albums from my shelves and will listen to them now: What Happened and I Want You To Make My Life Over.

Best regards

Melismo

Social source share

Hi Bob!

Very interesting interview! Marvin Smith is an awesome vocalist. A pity he never got to release a solo album. I have just pulled out the following two Artistics albums from my shelves and will listen to them now: What Happened and I Want You To Make My Life Over.

Best regards

Melismo

I want you to make my life over actually has Robert Dobyne singing lead and not Marvin, Marvin had left the group again at that point. That's the track that currently gets played on the radio most in Chicago for some reason though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!