TMG720 on ebay - why so pricey?

Hi all

I saw a demo of Edwin Starr & Blinkys oh how happy on ebay today. Its currently at £125 which is way out of my league, but I was wondering why it's so pricey?

I've got a dim distant memory that it was withdrawn or something. Can anyone shed any light?

SoulGeoff

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yes this is definitely the rare version. My Brother in law has a badly scratched copy and was offered £200 for it recently. He told the guy to take a hike!

Social source share

Anyone know why they withdrew it?  Always been a puzzle

cos it's shite?

Purely a number filler....

Unfortunately theres plenty more Motown 45s I'd but before even paying a fiver for said copy...

I do know a UK Motown collector who has almost every TM demo but won't pay out for this one because it's such a ridiculous price... so if anyones got one going very cheap let me know and I'll pass on his number...

Cheers,

Joe.

Social source share

Can't agree that it's shite! Ok, it may be one of the more poppy of Edwin's catalogue :-)

As for the scarcity, its understandable. I'm not sure how many demo's EMI used to press up (any clues, anyone?)... but there can't have been more than 500 at a guess.

Incidentally, it's up to £200 right now and ends later today. Whats the betting it'll top £250?

Social source share

The story I heard about the number of demos pressed for UK records (particularly in the '60s) was 99 copies.

However, I don't know if this story has confused itself with the "99 copies only" rule of a few independent UK labels during the '60s. Some very small UK labels (eg, Oak, Triumph etc) only pressed up 99 copies of some of their releases to avoid paying purchase tax, which was apparently payable on any batch of over 100 copies. Mainly the reason for '60s records such as the Bo Street Runners EP on Oak being so rare.

Maybe Mick Smith can confirm, or correct the rumour?

Gene

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I WOULD GUESS AT LEAST 500 DEMOS WERE PRESSED BY THE MAJORS. DON'T FORGET DJs GOT THEM. RADIO STATIONS-THE BRITISH ARMED FORCES WHO HAD BASES ALL ROUND THE WORLD IN THE 60s. ALSO THE LARGE DANCE HALLS-MECCA ETC. PIRATE RADIO STATIONS.

BUT WHY THEY WITHDREW TMG 720 IS A MYSTERY.(I'VE HAD AT LEAST 10 COPIES OF THIS).

PS IT'S NOT A CRAP RECORD LISTEN TO BILLY ECKSTINE-DORSEY BURNETTE-TONY MARTIN-MARTIN & FINLEY NOW THEY ARE CRAP.

I THINK THIS GUY NEEDS HIS HEARING CHECKED.

Social source share

Regional newspapers also used to get demo copies. Most of them had a once a week "pop beat" or "record rendezvous" column. That would account for quite a few copies. If memory serves, juke box suppliers also got serviced.

Social source share

I WOULD GUESS AT LEAST 500 DEMOS WERE PRESSED BY THE MAJORS. DON'T FORGET DJs GOT THEM. RADIO STATIONS-THE BRITISH ARMED FORCES WHO HAD BASES ALL ROUND THE WORLD IN THE 60s. ALSO THE LARGE DANCE HALLS-MECCA ETC. PIRATE RADIO STATIONS.

Spot on I'd guess - if only 99 copies of each were pressed you'd be pretty hard pushed to find copies of most of the Tamla Motown demos....

BUT WHY THEY WITHDREW TMG 720 IS A MYSTERY.(I'VE HAD AT LEAST 10 COPIES OF THIS).

PS IT'S NOT A CRAP RECORD

Is to my ears - well maybe crap was a little harsh... so-so would probably be a more fitting description... and both artists definately reorded better ...LOL

LISTEN TO BILLY ECKSTINE-DORSEY BURNETTE-TONY MARTIN-MARTIN & FINLEY NOW THEY ARE CRAP.

I agree fully.... some right old tosh released on Motown... trying to be a 'pop' label..... don't get me wrong... I love a lot of Motown records, but I am aware of the fact that some of them are shite... with a release rate of the numbers produced by Motown you've gotta expect some misses.... even spectacular ones like Charlene's - Never been to me... now that one is cack

I THINK THIS GUY NEEDS HIS HEARING CHECKED.

I have it done regularly - and it's exceptional... my doc told me so.... I can hear them trains from miles away.... LOL

Cheers,

Joe.

please see my very witty and intelligent response....lol

Social source share

Just had another look, the winning bidders name was TMG720a. So I'm assuming that he wanted it quite badly.

I can't remember who, but someone on here once remarked about how elated they were to finally obtain a record they were after for years. They also said that they paid alot for it, although others may think he'd paid too much he didn't care.

Like they say a record is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Although saying that I still don't think it's worth anymore than what I paid for my Gordy copy, which was about a fiver.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

That was me. I paid £150 for a record after 20 years searching. Like I said I have no idea of its value, as few people can even remember it, but after all this time I wasnt going to let it slip. So to me it was worth £150. Who knows if it gets revived it may be woth more, maybe less, but selling records doesnt compute with me, so into my box it goes, to stay. ;-)

And my girlfriend says she doesnt understand Northern Soul people.

Gene, as you need new trousers I have a pair of Spencers 40" flares I used to wear to school in 77-80 ish. Can sew on a badge if you want. Offers from £100+ please.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!