Water Damaged Records

Guest familytree

Guest familytree

this may be a stupid question but ...

how would you grade records that have been water damaged?... the labels are effected but they are otherwise mint as in no scratches/warps etc.. or does mint include the artwork?... in other words are they now useless for any market???!!!! .. warned you it was a stupid question but any advice appreciated as there are hundreds in this condition... sad site to behold, would make a grown man cry!

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

this may be a stupid question but ...

how would you grade records that have been water damaged?... the labels are effected but they are otherwise mint as in no scratches/warps etc.. or does mint include the artwork?... in other words are they now useless for any market???!!!! .. warned you it was a stupid question but any advice appreciated as there are hundreds in this condition... sad site to behold, would make a grown man cry!

I think the first stage in grading is to look at the thing. Picture tells a thousand words too :ohmy: Otherwise grade separately.

Failing that you need to give a really detailed description but you certainly can't say "Mint but damaged label".

That's like saying there's a thousand quid only £400 is missing...

Social source share

Guest familytree

I think the first stage in grading is to look at the thing. Picture tells a thousand words too :thumbsup: Otherwise grade separately.

Failing that you need to give a really detailed description but you certainly can't say "Mint but damaged label".

That's like saying there's a thousand quid only £400 is missing...

haha yes see your point, i did think as much but its such a shame.. i can also see if its rare...ish it could still be sold, suppose it would be embarracing to own in this condition though?..would it be best to scrape the whole label off and just replace with white and details? or would that make it worse... there isnt plans to sell im just looking long term, inheritance etc.

may be more enlightening to ask.."would you buy a record with a damaged label"? that would give me more idea

thanks x

Social source share

Guest familytree

I baught gene cooper on dada with a badly damaged label. I'll try and sell it if I ever find one with a clean label that plays as well as the copy I have.

thats encouraging! thanks .. what do you think of the idea scraping it all off and replacing? x

Social source share

Some releases are known to have varying degrees of water staining or damage on the labels e.g. a few of the Mary Jane 45s.

The vinyl is the main thing.

Be honest about label damage and provide a scan/pic.

Don't use the term "slight" label damage - one man's slight is another man's massive :thumbup:

With rare stuff, or where it is the norm that many copies are water stained/damaged, this is much more acceptable.

Water damaged copy or no copy ever - well no contest - take the water! :thumbsup:

Hope this helps

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest familytree

Some releases are known to have varying degrees of water staining or damage on the labels e.g. a few of the Mary Jane 45s.

The vinyl is the main thing.

Be honest about label damage and provide a scan/pic.

Don't use the term "slight" label damage - one man's slight is another man's massive :lol:

With rare stuff, or where it is the norm that many copies are water stained/damaged, this is much more acceptable.

Water damaged copy or no copy ever - well no contest - take the water! ph34r.gif

Hope this helps

Richard

yes it does thanks... so its a no no to scrape it off and put a white label on.. looking more asthetically pleasing, perhaps thats a woman thing?! :wave: x

Social source share

yes it does thanks... so its a no no to scrape it off and put a white label on.. looking more asthetically pleasing, perhaps thats a woman thing?! :wave: x

IMO you shouldn't tamper with the original label, even if water damaged, that would potentially devalue it more than the original damage.

Clean labels are nice but I think someone once said "its what's in the grooves that counts" biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest familytree

IMO you shouldn't tamper with the original label, even if water damaged, that would potentially devalue it more than the original damage.

Clean labels are nice but I think someone once said "its what's in the grooves that counts" :wave:

thats what i wanted to hear! biggrin.gif are you 'an englishman in new jersey' or native of? x

Social source share

Englishman exiled to New Jersey wink.gif

What for?, not pealing water damaged labels off to replace them with white paper I hope.

Toss up perfect label with marks or a perfect record with H20 Hummmm H2) me thinks, value yes a bit less, say 300 pounder 200 ish. :wave:

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Guest Revilot1957

Vinyl in mint condition * See item description ...........

While on the subject ...

Can anybody remember Clara Ward - 'The right direction' on Verve pale blue demo .......

(Not the record itself - the fact that there were dozens of them knocking about in the late '70s, ALL with water damage to the labels) ....

Did somebody find a box-full while on a diving trip in Lake Michigan, or something ???

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert