Check This Guy Out - New Blue-eyed Soulster

I've been hearing this tune for the last couple of months 'cos they're using it as a promo for ITV breakfast and I thought it had a nice Soul lilt and gospel influence about it, so I thought I'd track it down......

Quelle surprise. The guy may look like a geeky charted accountant from Surrey but whatta voice. Where the hell did that come from LOL.......

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I've been hearing this tune for the last couple of months 'cos they're using it as a promo for ITV breakfast and I thought it had a nice Soul lilt and gospel influence about it, so I thought I'd track it down......

Quelle surprise. The guy may look like a geeky charted accountant from Surrey but whatta voice. Where the hell did that come from LOL.......

Ian D :thumbup:

Indeed Ian, quelle surprise and far better than the other two acts we just mentioned on that "other" thread. :(

Am I alone in detecting a Stevie Wonder influence in his vocal style?

Worth a listen at least. :thumbsup:

John.

Social source share

Indeed Ian, quelle surprise and far better than the other two acts we just mentioned on that "other" thread. :(

Worth a listen at least. :thumbsup:

John.

For some reason this week is one of those Blue-Eyed typa weeks. Some guys were playing quite a few things like this last night. It sounded pretty refreshing actually.....

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Ian D :thumbsup:

Bang on there m8 her indoors put me on to this , googled it and the you tube vid came up and was even more impressed

the guys got a future .

Sheffield label surely can,t be the next Joe Cocker ?

Martyn

Social source share

John.

No you're not John.

Having just listened, first thing I thought was SW .

Second time in a few days I've posted about SW!!! :thumbsup:

KTF.

Drew

Edited by Drew3
Social source share

Bang on there m8 her indoors put me on to this , googled it and the you tube vid came up and was even more impressed

the guys got a future .

Sheffield label surely can,t be the next Joe Cocker ?

Martyn

I think it's a 'her indoors' typa record - the females in my place are playing it around the clock. A 'good to be alive' kinda track.......

Ian D :boxing:

Social source share

Guest stevejan

Ian D :boxing:

Brilliant..gotta check the album...and yes he does sound like Stevie Wonder

Social source share

Here's his website

Jamie Lidell

just tried connecting to this site AVAST virus protector on my pc stoped me from doing so saying it contained a virus, any one else get it ?

ps on the mentioned track, by the time he is handing out ears in the video i was bored and offered him mine but didn't want them, didn't rate it when it came out, don't rate it now, next........... :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sorry to disgaree with so many whose opinions I respect on here and elsewhere, but his voice isn't really doing a lot for me, just sounds like a bit of a pub singer trying to be soulful...

The songs are very good, though, particularly 'Wait For Me' - they would have suited a real 'blue eyed soulman' like Daryl Hall, in his prime.

Social source share

Sorry to disgaree with so many whose opinions I respect on here and elsewhere, but his voice isn't really doing a lot for me, just sounds like a bit of a pub singer trying to be soulful...

The songs are very good, though, particularly 'Wait For Me' - they would have suited a real 'blue eyed soulman' like Daryl Hall, in his prime.

I bought his "Multiply" CD blind on the recommendation of someone whose taste I respect, but I just couldn't get into it, I think one of my kids stole it from me :thumbsup: Nothing else I've heard of his does it for me either :D

Social source share

The entire "Jim" album by Jamie Lidell is superb in my opinion. One of my favourite albums of 2008 actually. Definitely check it out if you like "Another Day". Here's another good tune on the album called "Wait For Me":

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

his voice isn't really doing a lot for me, just sounds like a bit of a pub singer trying to be soulful...

I agree, the songs are definitely where it's at. But as for being a "soul singer", his voice sure leaves a lot to be desired. Have always considered him a pop/electro artist so that doesn't bother me much. His voice is good enough though. I'm a sucker for good melodies and the "Jim" album is full of them, I guess that's why I'm so fond of it.

Daryl Hall singing these tunes... not that would've been something! :thumbsup: Have to go dig out the "Abandoned Luncheonette" LP now... :D

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

I agree, the songs are definitely where it's at. But as for being a "soul singer", his voice sure leaves a lot to be desired. Have always considered him a pop/electro artist so that doesn't bother me much. His voice is good enough though. I'm a sucker for good melodies and the "Jim" album is full of them, I guess that's why I'm so fond of it.

Daryl Hall singing these tunes... not that would've been something! :thumbsup: Have to go dig out the "Abandoned Luncheonette" LP now... :D

I've actually got an unreleased double CD of Daryl Hall's early solo Philly recordings which I got sent last year and which I'll similarly pull-out now........will report back if there's anything phenomenal on there......... :D

Ian D :(

Social source share

I'm with Tony, it's a pleasant enough pop tune, but one couldn't possibly mention Liddell in the same breath as Stevie Wonder, a more apt comparison would be the Jo Boxers or Fine Young Cannibals, wouldn't you say ? :lol:

Social source share

Shame to break the cosmopolitan link but I think Warp records relocated from Sheffield to London about 10 years ago. Guess we'll have to continue to dine out on Tony Christie. :lol:

For my tenpennorth, I'm not overly impressed and would point anyone looking for a little more soul in the direction of Rafael Saadiq's latest album which has a retro feel with a potential Northern Soul track in 100 yard dash. I believe he was in Tony Tone Tone at one time but not sure which one he was as he's not called Tone/y !

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I have heard him last year. I brought one of his singles on vinyl that had a Northern/soul sound to it and was pleasent with it. So i give a thumbs up

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!